Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

Because TVIV voted Better Call Saul so highly, I just wanted to ask if it's really necessary to watch Breaking Bad to know what the gently caress is happening on it? There's just so much to catch up on...

Not really, but there are a lot of contextual nods which you'll miss out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Hi. Sell me on the Get Down, it's the one show I hadn't heard of from the Top Ten thread that really stood out to me from the glimpses I saw there.

Episode 2 features a literal controversy dress.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've defended Sherlock for a long time but man that first episode this year... :negative:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I should hate Vicious for being so inherently goofy and melodramatic but it really won me over too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Is this love/hate about Sherlock a real thing or a TVIV thing? I agree it's often flawed and has several outright "bad" episodes, but on the whole it's not worth hating is it? Really?

I think the problem is that some episodes just fall completely flat. For instance, I liked both the wedding episode from last season and last weeks episode but the others around them fall between mediocre and boring. The writers are way too obsessed with twists and the directors over-complicate everything for the purposes of visual gimmicks. My favorite Sherlock episode is ironically the pilot and by that I don't mean the first episode. They re-shot the pilot with a higher budget and it actually became worse and more contrived despite having veritably the same actors and script.

It's frustrating to watch because the show clearly could be a lot better than it is if it'd just get its head out of its rear end.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I fell asleep before the second episode ended, this is really not working for me for some reason. :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dancer posted:

I didn't say anything about Sherlock because when I saw the discussion basically everything I thought relevant had already been said, but I have just recently discovered that there was a special episode for New Year 2016 (The Abominable Bride). And I just now watched it. And good lord, I feel like puking. It's the cheesiest, dumbest, most transparently commercial "feminist" story I have seen in a long loving time, interspersed with tons of gratuitious fancy-sounding over-acted-to-poo poo dialogue between inconsistent characters with the depth of puddles (those words could also be said of regular Sherlock but *this is worse*). I usually manage to still enjoy the Sherlock episodes on some level but this was beyond garbage. Stay away.

I'm sorry, what?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dancer posted:

As in hey let's make Mary a suffragette, and make Watson be a douche to her and the servant-lady for ~irony~. Oh what a coincidence that the episode in which we most directly show misogynist behavior is also the episode in which feminism is the main motivation for the crimes that are happening! We're thematic you guys!

It might work if it didn't force characters to behave inconsistently, and if so many of the "feminist" moments weren't made into weak silly gags (Mary: "I'm part of a campaign you know. Votes for women!" Lestrade: "Oh really? For or against?". This may be in character for Lestrade but it's painfully cringey when you're watching). It feels a lot like the writers decided at some point "Hey this feminism thing seems to be rather popular lately, we could probably score some points with viewers by writing a story about it". And then simply started writing some dialogue and jokes using a very superficial understanding of the topic. Feminism is unironical serious business and I find it marginally disturbing when I see what I perceive to be exploitation of it profit.

The episode was apparently so forgettable that I don't recall any of this except the the awful Lestrade quip even as I'm reading it. Thank you for elaborating. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finished Serious of Unfortunate event, it picked up after the initial hump but the show largely feels meandering to me for some reason. Like it's not really a funny show and since it doesn't really take itself seriously the drama kinda fell flat for me. I know that it's supposed to be a kids adventure kind of deal but it just moves so slowly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Comedy option: Midsomer Murders

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flatscan posted:

The Wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDF97Ebilps

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yer Burnt posted:

15 years from now we'll be getting some Trump-based miniseries and I already hate everything.

That's nothing, just wait until we get the oscar-bait drama movie.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm genuinely shocked by The Good Place season finale.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

So I just went through The Good Place, Goliath, and Sneaky Pete. They were all really good.

What's next?

Sweet/Vicious, Young Pope, Divorce, No Tomorrow, Incorporated, Man Seeking Woman, Black Sails...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Just watched the trailer, seems like they were going for Gattaca: The Series, looks interesting, I'll check it out.

On that note, how are Channel Zero, Hunters, The Magicians, and Dark Matter?

Dark Matter is a really bad show which I don't know why I keep watching. Season 2 was at least entertaining unlike season 1 which has like 2 good episodes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

and The Expanse in a few weeks.

Excuse me as I now have to find the TVIV poster who misled me into believing it was coming back next week. :mad:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

He was right. February 1st it comes back.

Haha you monster, drat you

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone is still in doubt Sweet/Vicious is really really really good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Hey the Oscars are on TV right? gently caress the Oscars for not nominating Sing Street for anything. "Drive It Like You Stole It" is a fantastic song and better than whatever trash heap Justin Timberlake wrote for Trolls. No one will remember La La Land in 6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY

Thanks for mentioning this movie. I hadn't even heard about it before and it was really good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Almost everything about Hannibal is a wash for me. I just watch it for the mad cannibalism puns Hannibal drops during literally every dinner scene.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

Not sure exactly how it all works, but for the first season at least you'd need to spend a bunch on costumes and sets, so if the budget stays the same moving forward you can throw more at things like CGI and beards.

So many beards, season 4 is the beard season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Am I the only unbelievably pissed off about how late the next season of Better Call Saul is airing?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Good enough for me, I have a general grieve against shows breaking the"1 year max" phenomenon everything relevant was following until the last few years. I like the shows I have to wait a shitlong time for returning in order.

EDIT: Fargo and the Leftovers excepted for being special.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only thing less interesting than CW drama is CW-production drama.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spergatory posted:

In Season 3, things got even worse, culminating in a moment I will never forget simply because of how egregious it was: the Atom in the DCTV Universe is basically Budget Iron Man mixed with Budget Ant Man. He's normally a hero, but this point, he was on Team Arrow's bad side, so Oliver and Roy wind up going after him. Roy fights him first and, of course, get his rear end kicked. Not only does he get his rear end kicked-- he gets electrocuted and left twitching in a puddle, forcing Oliver to kick the Atom's rear end alone. After Oliver successfully disables the Atom's suit, thus proving himself the Superior Hero, he gives a speech of some kind and then walks off in slow motion while the music swells in the background. Great, right? Except, you know, for Roy, who we last saw having spasms and shooting sparks out of every orifice. Oliver doesn't go to help him up, or check on him, he doesn't even glance at him. Neither does the camera. It just focuses on Oliver doing a hero walk (away from where Roy would be) and then cuts to the next scene. The showrunners later admitted they literally forgot that Roy was there.

Haha seriously? Even by season 2 of Flash standards this is quite the thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

For anyone that has forgotten the sheer insanity that the 24 world operates on the following video is mandatory viewing. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

APB's biggest sins is peddling the complete fantasy that the American police system is underfunded of all things.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Argue posted:

The thread for Jane the Virgin seems to be archived so I just want to say ______________________ :( __________________________.

???

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Now I'm just feeling even more vindicated in dropping season 3 back in December. Boy they really did write themselves into a corner.

EDIT:Wow, this show and Crazy Ex-girlfriend have the exact same plotting problem this season of having no idea where they want to go. Now I'm starting to worry that You're the Worst might also torpedo this year

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 7, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Counterpoint, the episode where the-character-who-shall-not-be-named tried stand-up comedy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The show just gets so dull in season 2.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Counterpoint: it takes until like episode 7 of season 1 to stop being "mission of the week" and then starts to get really good. There's a bit of a lull in the back half of season 2, but the payoff is worth it.

Edit: like, I came around to Mad Men eventually, but I find The Americans way more interesting and engaging.

Mad Men and the Americans have the same problem for what it's worth.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Dull and aimless? Even if you don't like it those are weird criticisms imo

Did you watch season 2? I'm struggling to articulate it in any other way too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Its totally fair to hate the legacy of Lost fandom and all the toxic fandoms that have come out of it. I'm right there with you. I Xed the Good Place thread because I felt it getting the Lost treatment.

:stare:

Rectify that mistake right now dammit

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I finished The Good Place finally. I wasn't going to watch it until I thankfully got spoiled as to the real plot. I love it and I know I would still not have watched it without knowing what the ending was going to be.

This was incidentally how I got a friend to watch it. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I went in deliberately avoiding the spoilers and loved every minute of it, I don't get people who have to read the last page of the book first.

Some people just enjoy content differently. The same person decided on a whim that she didn't want to watch La La Land because apparently 'it has a sad ending'. She found this out by a reading a plot synopsis. :suicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You Me Her is weird loving show.

I like it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I tried to watch Scandal just now, but it can't keep up with reality.

Just wait until the next season of House of Cards comes around, reality is officially stranger than fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Just picked up Netflix, tried to give Bob's Burgers and finished the first season in one day. drat, this is my jam ham.

Ftfy.

• Locked thread