Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancer
May 23, 2011
I didn't say anything about Sherlock because when I saw the discussion basically everything I thought relevant had already been said, but I have just recently discovered that there was a special episode for New Year 2016 (The Abominable Bride). And I just now watched it. And good lord, I feel like puking. It's the cheesiest, dumbest, most transparently commercial "feminist" story I have seen in a long loving time, interspersed with tons of gratuitious fancy-sounding over-acted-to-poo poo dialogue between inconsistent characters with the depth of puddles (those words could also be said of regular Sherlock but *this is worse*). I usually manage to still enjoy the Sherlock episodes on some level but this was beyond garbage. Stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I'm sorry, what?

As in hey let's make Mary a suffragette, and make Watson be a douche to her and the servant-lady for ~irony~. Oh what a coincidence that the episode in which we most directly show misogynist behavior is also the episode in which feminism is the main motivation for the crimes that are happening! We're thematic you guys!

It might work if it didn't force characters to behave inconsistently, and if so many of the "feminist" moments weren't made into weak silly gags (Mary: "I'm part of a campaign you know. Votes for women!" Lestrade: "Oh really? For or against?". This may be in character for Lestrade but it's painfully cringey when you're watching). It feels a lot like the writers decided at some point "Hey this feminism thing seems to be rather popular lately, we could probably score some points with viewers by writing a story about it". And then simply started writing some dialogue and jokes using a very superficial understanding of the topic. Feminism is unironical serious business and I find it marginally disturbing when I see what I perceive to be exploitation of it for profit.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 15, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011
My personal huge disappointment was the last season of The Newsroom. Seasons 1 and 2 were campy and often really fuckin funny. S3... sometimes has jokes, but they usually suck, and drama is pushed way too far up. Last episode of season 2 would've made a pretty decent ending too. "Everyone does great at the end" may not be particularly deep, but I didin't necessarily expect that from this show.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

precision posted:

Man, I did not realize Bryan Fuller had reached "unimpeachable God-King of television whose vision is perfect" status among goons. Hannibal hosed a lot of people up I guess.

No need to be smug. Bryan Fuller has done some very atmospheric and creative things in the past (never seen Hannibal though I've heard opinions; Pushing Daisies is one of my top 3 shows ever, liking Gods so far). If someone calls him the God King of television feel free to respond to them. Don't act like you're the only independent thinker surrounded by idiots.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's pretty fun, but they do run it into the ground a bit. Being an hour long show doesn't do it many favours I think. Probably the only panel show I sometimes bother with, mind.

e: UK TV wise, 'This Country' was really good. And 'Mindhorn' is a good film if you like stuff like Darkplace.

I don't live in the UK, nor follow TV really, but every new year's I eagerly look forward to Charlie Booker's wipe. Does he not have a weekly show, for at least parts of the year?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I vaguely recall someone here mentioning that Jean Claude van Johnson was confirmed for a full season. It feels like it's been a year since the pilot, and the internet is rather sparse on information. Is anyone here aware of any updates on when we're getting more? And how much?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Just wanted to drop a note that A Very Secret Service (Au Service de la France) is Cool and Good. There have been many James Bond parodies out these I have hated, but I really like this one. I think it's because it focuses on silly administration and characters being incompetent at their jobs from that angle, instead of physical gags and the "action" side of secret agents.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Did the movie ever say how old she's supposed to be, or are you just assuming that the characters have to be the same age as their inspirations?

I mean, on the slightly abstract level where we agree that "a 25 y/o woman playing a 40 y/o character" is emblematic of a societal problem (not saying that that's unambiguously true, just that's the assumption we're working with ere), "book-to-movie adaptation randomly decides to make characters, particularly female characters younger because you can see them on camera" is arguably emblematic of the same problem.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
For whoever is considering watching this Castlevania thing, here's your monthly reminder that Penny Dreadful is rather rad and totally worth a shot. Over-acted as gently caress Victorian London vampire/witch/werewolf/Frankenstein/Dorian Gray/literal Satan shenanigans (and I've undoubtedly missed a few on that list).

Dancer
May 23, 2011
How these dolts made so many posts and not one of them mentioned Patriot is beyond me. It was rather universally acclaimed around these parts when it was discussed. It's also fairly hard to describe. Massively depressed spy for the US government goes on a mission. There are extremely funny moments, but there's also a lot of melancholy.

Fairly similar to Patriot in some ways is also the pilot for Jean Claude Van Johnson.

The Americans is a show with a rather unique premise, amazing acting, and very strong character development. It's also extremely slow at times, and at least some people have argued that nothing interesting has happened in 2 seasons.

You should also try Penny Dreadful. It's not a *good* show, but I (and, as far as I perceived back when the thread was alive, also many others around these parts) have found it extremely enjoyable. Grimdark Victorian London with fantasy creatures, turned to 11. Every actor in it goes loving ham.

The Expanse is recent sci-fi that a lot of people seem to have liked. Some people have described it as GoT in space (I'm not sure I agree). Some characters are bad, annoying or both, some are amazing.

If hard sci-fi turns out to be your thing, there's this obscure Canadian drama called ReGenesis about a team of experts in various biological fields that deal with bioterrorism and epidemics and what-not. I'm doing my Master's in biochem and no other show that I've seen has come even close to it in terms of verisimilitude (still hard to call it "realistic", knowing the things that I know, but it tries really hard).

And finally, to go to something entirely different, if you think you might be able to enjoy a "cute" show at all, you should try Pushing Daisies. It's by Bryan Fuller (AmGods) and it's incredibly charming. Note: there are amusing moments but it's definitely not a "comedy".

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Stop talking about Lost you loving old timers. Comrad Detective is on Amazon, it's so good.

Important question. Is the original Romanian available as an alternate audio track?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

Anyone else been watching the Jim Jefferies show? It has some rough edges but some of the segments are pretty loving amazing. Jim's ability to make really simple analogies that point out how ridiculous something is always impresses me.

Is Comedy Central content available on any streaming services at all or is it one of the few remaining things that cable companies clutch dearly to?

My experience with Jefferies, admittedly a long time ago, is that "pointing out how ridiculous something is" means moaning about Political Correctness and how "feminists aren't actually about equality, I'm better at equality because I treat people the same without caring about their genitals" and poo poo like that, interspersed with liberal use of rape jokes and misogynist language. I do remember liking some of his jokes and those of his simple analogies that weren't massively lovely. Has he... gotten better?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I started playing Factorio a few weeks ago. While playing that, I like having something light to watch on the other half of my screen. I randomly stumbled across Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on Netflix, a detective serial set in 1920s Australia. It's cute and light-hearted, gets rather cheesy at times and the effects are rofl bad, but it's been perfect for its intended purpose (and Miss Fisher has a kick-rear end wardrobe).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Popelmon posted:

Is 2017 the best year in the TV ever? Patriot, The Leftovers, The Deuce, Handmaid's Tale, maybe Mr. Robot S3, Ken Burns Vietnam War...

And then there is the INSANE list of tier 2 shows. I don't even know where to start to list the "not quiet prestige drama but still really loving good" shows. Especially the shows that are not dramas but not 100% comedies (You're the worst etc.) are firing on all cylinders and there are SO MANY of them.

And then there are the "Super stupid but in a really fun way" shows too. Legends of Tomorrow etc.

American Vandal could be on that list. And potentially AmGods. The Good Place S1 also partially aired in 2017 :v:. I really wanted to say Westworld too but wow that was actually entirely last year.

Yeah, the times are good.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

zoux posted:

Who would be the most disappointing star to find out about

Given how The Good Place makes me feel every time I watch it, Kristen Bell is pretty high up there :v: . More seriously, anyone nominally feminist/allied that would get MRAs and reactionaries foaming the way FOX is foaming now about Weinstein "being connected to the democrats" (think Amy Poehler/Emma Watson etc.)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Everything you mention in that post is kinda... serious. Maybe try some light-hearted things? Braindead is a single amazing season that is very funny, with only some tense moments. If they like politics stuff, Veep and Alpha House are the obvious next steps. Pushing Daisies is flawless and adorable, and if they like it there's also Dead Like Me (though it's definitely not as good). Speaking of Brian Fuller, American Gods might be pushing it, because it does obviously have supernatural stuff, and it gets bloody at times, but it's slow and heavily character focused, so I never thought it got too intense. UnReal might be very hit or miss. If they realize how insane the whole thing is, they'll probably find it hilarious; if they don't it might be too dark.

If you're going to stay with serious stuff, my personal pet favourite that has some flaws is ReGenesis, which you can watch on Hulu I think. Hard sci-fi, except biology themed instead of space stuff.

Also, this will only last half an hour, so it won't grant you much reprieve, but Dr. Horrible is worth a shot as a funny intermezzo :v:.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Amazon's version sounded more interesting anyway.

Are you referring to Man in the High Castle, or are you suggesting some upcoming series that I'm not aware of yet?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey folks, how do compare Crazy Ex-Girlfriend seasons to each other? I binged through S1 in like 3 days, and it was amazing all the way, but now I'm 4 eps into S2 and it's significantly less fun. It feels like people are just being horrible each other for now reason. Like, I get that they're all fundamentally broken people, but all the development they've gone through in season 1 feels like it just didn't happen. The drama is forced, the jokes aren't quite as funny, and it relies more and more on cringey stuff that I find really grating when there's too much of it. Does it get good again?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

none of her "development" is actually grounded in reality.

It did seem to me how, before the season break she was at least marginally capable of genuinely thinking about others. That last conversation with Audra Levine is an example. Also the way she accepted being viewed as The Worst with the wedding dress incident.

hope and vaseline posted:

Paula who's an actual real person dealing with her real problems now instead of that insane person who's enabling Rebecca at every turn.

Yeah, this part I've been noticing and it's a pretty big deal. I guess it will probably eventually lead to a satisfying pay-off when Rebecca finally gets over herself and admits to Paula how lovely she's been. I can't enjoy the Darryl+WiJo stuff simply because of how much I haven't been able to stand Darryl since basically forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

no 2017 Wipe

This is a Goddamn travesty :(.

• Locked thread