Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

Well yeah if that style is "stupid."

Why are you so boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

Why do you care? gently caress off and put me on ignore.

I mean, geez, our old belligerent trolls at least fuckin tried, you know

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

I'm not trolling, it's a terrible show and unless you're a 13 year old girl you should be ashamed to proclaim that you enjoy it. Now put me on ignore.

See, look at this. It's so devoid of style or personality. Put your own spin on it, man!

I don't even care that you don't like the show, whatever, but whenever I see you it's the limpest, most half-assed attempts to rile people and it's really sad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lycus posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of Series of Unfortunate Events and have no idea what the show is going to be about now. They could've stretched that out to season if so inclined.

As someone who's read the books, in a way, they do!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Um, what

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welp, guess that finale's ruined for me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hannibal owns

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"I saw a video of a rancho molt its skin and my eyes went to hell"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

precision posted:

It is definitely super weird and distracting that the BBC chose to cast an actor to play Terry Pratchett alongside the very real people talking about how sad they are that Terry Pratchett is dead.

Wait what the gently caress?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was bummed La La Land won, then Twitter blew up, I turned on my TV and Barry Jenkins was on stage. Probably the best TV moment I'll have this year.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Inspector 34 posted:

Holy gently caress The Detour this week.

If you would have told me this show would ever be on TBS while I was flipping past marathons of Corner Gas 10 years ago

I wanted to vomit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jason Isaacs is great so that's cool. The Captain's not the main character of Discovery IIRC, but still neat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MST3K and Bill Nye are both Netflix.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, I went into this with pretty low expectations and this sounds rough

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It went up an hour ago.

It's not great but it's not unwatchable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not good. But it's not quite as bad as you're assuming. Mostly just kinda boring so far.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

American Crime Story is so good and if you wanna be bummed then I must inform you that the non-Ryan Murphy showrunners aren't returning for the next season.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Five episodes into Iron Fist. This show is... fine. It's fine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Timby posted:

He's also the guy in charge of The Defenders.

No, he's doing Inhumans I thought.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished Iron Fist. I was pretty forgiving and it's still like a C+ at absolute best. The worst thing about it is that it made me curious to see a good version of Iron Fist, which will in all likelihood never happen.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Luke Cage, much like Iron Fist, is fine. Honestly parts of it are more aggressively bad than IF and I still came out of that show positive.

Also I feel like just about everything I like about IF can be tied back to Colleen Wing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You should watch more of The Get Down.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eezee posted:

It's much too long for the content so it runs out of steam halfway through the season.

This isn't actually true at all. They seem like they had a concrete plan for the second half of the season, it's just kind of a misfire.

Plus, while the first half is certainly a lot more charming I'd argue it suffers from a lot of the same issues.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Luke Cage has been fun so far (6 eps in), whoever said it wasn't good is a dummy.

We need to frame this post.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Even if it turns to complete poo poo, I've enjoyed it so far and wouldn't count it as a waste of time :shrug:

I don't actually hate the second half, it's just kind of a misfire. I had issues with the show leading into it and they get exacerbated.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rarity posted:

So have we reached the stage in revisionist history where because Iron Fist is bad now everything before Iron Fist was bad?

People have been complaining about the other shows for a long time, but now they have an actual excuse.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

As far as Jessica Jones and Daredevil goes they aren't bad, but they aren't great either. They are just good shows especially since they drag out about 4 episodes worth of plot to 13 episodes.

I wish people would stop loving saying this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Why? It's 100% true. This isn't even me doing a bit, that's a completely valid criticism.

Jessica Jones and Daredevil had more than four episodes of plot, obviously, but it also conflates "plot" with "forward progress," as if a television show is an engine that must constantly move forward or it's broken. JJ takes diversions that are relevant to what it's trying to say or gently caress, even just for the sake of it. The primary issue with these shows isn't that they're too long, it's that they don't move fast enough. You could tell much better stories, even within 13 episodes, if the pacing was ramped up massively. I'm mainly annoyed that people consistently complain that the episode orders are too long as if the showrunners can't just write more story. People say Jessica Jones should have ended at episode 10 but the simple fact is the arc of the show wasn't done yet at that point, and while the storytelling to continue it from there was a bit sloppy cutting it down wouldn't have fixed that.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's my honest belief since several of the episodes are boring as gently caress.

After all the build up in Jessica Jones how did she end up solving the problem?

This isn't even the same complaint, and it ignores the context of why the problem can suddenly be solved in that way in the first place. Sometimes characters haven't finished their arcs and thus cannot solve their problems in the most expedient way. What you're suggesting they do would be way more boring and anticlimactic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh Snapple! posted:

The problem essentially isn't the episode order number, it's that they can't get writers who can actually fill it worth a drat.

Basically. People keep saying this even when it makes no sense, like with Luke Cage. The "too many episodes" complaint there suggests that the writers were forced into a dilemma by only being able to fill half a season, but that's ridiculous. It's way more likely that they simply had an idea for the season to have two distinct halves, and the second one just didn't work very well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm more or less fine with it, though it's not the strongest material. I liked Elektra a lot.

Though hilariously, in Iron Fist they get rid of it entirely

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

People can form emotional connections to things for all sort of bullshit reasons tbh. I definitely don't think that means anything with regards to how good a show is.

You're kind of insisting there's some kind of objective truth here only you are privy to and it's really pissing me off.

I have always admitted JJ has flaws, but I really like the way that story is told.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DivisionPost posted:

Well let's be fair: it's his truth. We all have personal reactions to what we see and sometimes it can be hard to express that. Don't feed into his negative perceptions by attacking him with a tone argument (which, admittedly, accounts for half the arguments I have).

I shouldn't have to defend my right to like something. Me saying "thing you like is bad" is annoying isn't a tone argument. Why does he even care?

Escobarbarian posted:

That doesn't sound very healthy on your part.

Oh, shut up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm just talking about my own personal opinion dude. You seriously gotta calm down.

I'm not actually that annoyed, because I'm used to it at this point, but you just have a tendency to post some incredibly patronizing bullshit. I get that it's your opinion, but can you at least try not to frame it in the most condescending way possible?

e: I guess this is a tone argument now, but it's over and over with you, man.

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Man I missed the classic CC slapfights. Anyway it's just a TV show stop being a baby

Only if you stop with the whiny Occ poo poo whenever someone mentions a show you don't like.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Whiny" might have been the wrong word, I admit, but my point was you have a tendency to jump into these arguments and indirectly insult people for liking loving TV shows. I'm done arguing this.

IRQ posted:

I didn't care for Jessica Jones, anyone wanna slapfight about it?

I don't care who likes it, every time Esco brings it up it's the most patronizing poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm just gonna guess that different people like and dislike them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The issue only comes if you insist that's the reason they like it or that that's somehow invalid (which I'm not accusing anyone here of actually doing).

Part of what I like about JJ is that it's weird and messy and imperfect. It's part of the way that show speaks directly to me. It's the same reason I still think the best season of Community is 3.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone edit Jessica Jones into a 2 hour movie

tv shows aren't movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

I think this was a reference to the recent editing down of Breaking Bad into a 2 hour movie by someone.

I heard about this, and my post was in reference to the fact that it was a terrible idea. My favorite episodes of both Breaking Bad and Jessica Jones aren't focused on plot, they're ones where they mix things up for an episode. You can't do that with a movie and it's part of what makes television valuable. It's part of how people who are trying to use TV to tell a really long movie are kind of missing the point.

• Locked thread