Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Couldn't stand the film and the show is almost as bad. Mainly due to the main guy, he's just so incredibly annoying and I can't trust a single thing they do is legit.

Watch the movie 'Tickled' from last year. It's far more entertaining and everything I wanted when I read the description for Catfish which turned out to be a damp squib.

I enjoyed Tickled but much like Catfish I thought it was weird that the marketing and trailers spent so much time hyping up the INCREDIBLE TWIST that you WON'T SEE COMING and it turns out to be...exactly what you expected it would be. It would have been an actual surprise if it had been literally anything other than a gross old man pretending to be a woman on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I bet they will. I remember them being some genuinely fun writing. The whole Harry Potter phenomenon of movies and toys and spinoffs and jelly bean tie-ins and poo poo makes it easy to forget the qualities of the original product.

Harry Potter is good fun so long as remember two things: it is set in a world of magic whimsy that is not and never was trying to be real or realistic, and that even though the later books got darker and more serious it's a series that started as and always was for children.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel like I would have watched this by now if it starred literally any other actor but Jay Baruchel ya feel

If you need to ease into the show sans Baruchel the Woman Seeking Man episodes focusing on his sister are fairly self-contained and also amazing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I would watch BB first if you could, even if it's not necessary to understand the plot it helps you appreciate what they're doing with the characters a lot more and gives a lot more impact to things. Plus when you inevitably decide to watch BB it will hurt your enjoyment, partly because it spoils a bunch of stuff and partly because you'll bring a bunch of baggage to characters that were never supposed to have it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

That's interesting. The first time I ever liked him was on the first season of Secrets and Lies. I was thinking maybe his performance in that was an anomaly since I'd never liked him in anything else.

He was fun in Macgruber.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

I think dire is too strong a word but honestly PM is right. It's just.....not THAT good. The spiel somewhere about how it is as intelligent as Westworld when it comes to themes etc made me laugh super hard.

They balance out: PoI was a show that was smarter than you'd expect, Westworld is a show that wants you to think that it's smarter than it is.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh I saw a review on IGN and was like "Oh that came out already?"

It comes out on Friday the 13th, appropriately enough.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Season 3 was poopy but I've liked season 4 so far. Especially since Toby Jones was in the second episode. :swoon:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Fast Luck posted:

Sherlock is bad because they tie some absurdly complex knot to make the viewer go "this knot can't possibly be untied!" and then they get some scissors out and snip the knot to pieces and go "voila! sherlock has done it again!" Creating some impenetrable, practically incomprehensible problem and then presenting some meanderingly complex solution isn't smart or graceful. If they do a straightforward episode instead of another big death/fake death it can still actually be good I assume

Have you ever read the original books? It's always been wildly impractical and complex problems and Sherlock casually explaining to Watson about how magic trained milk-homing snakes are obviously the solution.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Jughead Hat Status: Confirmed

DivisionPost posted:

Better Off Ted creator Victor Fresco would like to introduce you to a new generation of hurricane-proof zombies, with the help of Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHqT88vu6Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDR7lAamYmo

Timothy Olyphant doing comedy is something I'm always there for.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Season 1 and 2 of Hannibal are fantastic. Three is basically two split in half, the first half is really aimless and pretentious but has a strong ending and the second half is suffers from covering ground that is very well-trodden by the movies but is still good and has a satisfying ending.

Hannibal kind of ties into the earlier discussion about knee-jerk dislike of procedurals, because the first two are much more procedural with an overarching plot and are much stronger for it.

Open Source Idiom posted:

And there's a fourth season planned as soon as Amazon loses their exclusive rights to produce the show (so around August this year, apparently).

I thought that the show died because Fuller wanted to move on to American Gods and declined to offer to start production on four? Either way, it feels like it ended at a good spot so I'm not too broken up about it being dead.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't know if ASoUE was good or if I even really liked it but if nothing else I can appreciate that Netflix was willing to get weird and make something that is so polarizing.

Polarizing is a word which in this case means "something not everyone likes but everyone feels strongly about".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just heard about this today from io9. Got to the sentence "Santa Clarita Diet was created by Victor Fresco, who did Better Off Ted and Andy Richter Controls the Universe".

Sold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7of0_IGq9T0

All the best to them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
We got an Oliver Stone movie about George W Bush when get was still in office and The Newsroom was only a couple of years behind the real world, no way we're not going to have way too many film and television people tripping over themselves to pee pee doo doo he is a bad president about Trump as soon as possible.

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh yeah the movie where Patrick Stewart plays a poop

The fact that 💩 isn't being voiced by a black person is way more credit than I was willing to give the Emoji Movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

Ah goddammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-88rwt4ms

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Their goal is to premiere one new season of programming every week, eventually it is going to be functionally impossible for a person with a full-time job and a life to watch everything they make.

And that is OK.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah, much like HBO their goal is getting subscribers rather than sheer viewer numbers for ad revenue, so making something that has a tiny viewership is a net good if it brings people on board or convinces them to stay subscribed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zaggitz posted:

Archie is so weird to me because I only ever encountered it in those big jumbo books other people inexplicably had in their bathrooms. So when I hear "that comic literally everyone has in their bathroom but never reads is getting a dark gritty tv show" I was pretty shocked.

At one point they were trying to make it into a movie and the demands movie studio people had was even weirder than a gritty small-town murder.

quote:

Riverdale originally was pitched as a movie, he said, and they thought they had a deal, until one exec, who he declined to name, called a meeting and strongly urged them to add time travel, or portals because “portals are huge,” or cast Louis CK as Archie – which even Aguirre-Sacasa said left him “gobsmacked.”

Eventually teaming with Greg Berlanti to develop as a TV series, he was told, “you’re going to need a dead body.”

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

The only thing that shocks me about the Archie TV show is that every episode doesn't have a Josie and the Pussycats song that they're selling on iTunes.

I would be all over that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvQY6tLMdL0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYSCjwc6pEo

I hope this is as much fun as the Mcelroy's other podcasts and youtube stuff.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

Wasn't a single joke in that trailer, just these guys being pleased with themselves. I liked the Weird Al appearance tho.

"My name is...Zack...-hangs up-" got a laugh out of me, at least. A lot of the fun of the podcast is the way that they'll come up with goofs and build on them and I don't know how well that will translate to a TV show; the one bit of episode info that leaked via a news story from their hometown involves them helping someone get over their fear of spiders by throwing a parade celebrating spiders with spider floats and a matching band playing The Itsy-Bitsy Spider, which is the kind of thing that sounds like a sensible chuckle as part of a conversation but could live or die as an actual televised segment. Especially with a SeeSo budget.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Olyphant was also the lead in the remake of The Crazies, which was a pretty decent straightforward horror-thriller.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

whowhatwhere posted:

Hopefully Brubaker can surgically remove Refn's head out of his rear end so we get Good Refn instead of whatever the gently caress The Neon Demon was.

I love how people whose only exposure to Refn was Drive got really mad when they saw Only God Forgives and Neon Demon and realized that he made art films that just happened to have amazing action instead of action films with artsy set dressing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Tarsem Singh is terrible

Eiko Ishioka was pretty great, but she died and everything else in his movies was plagiarized from modern art installations so now he's running on fumes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

This is so loving hysterical if you skipped my original post go back and click on that poo poo right now

It's cute, but they're too sincere and well-meaning to be as hysterical with the format as something like Nathan for You or Review.

Maybe they'll grow into it more, but Monster Factory and Car Boys were amazing from episode one.

e. "Tarantulas: The Dogs of Spiders" and "Everybody leave the parade now, but make sure you all go in different directions because otherwise then it's just a continuation of the parade and we don't want that" were both gold, though.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 17, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

It's been renewed through 2019. But it has short seasons so the cast has time to work on movies and TV shows, which is how Charlie Day has been in at least one movie a year for the past five years and how Kaitlyn Olsen has time for The Mick.

Individual episodes are also getting shorter to make more room for ads, starting last year there have been episodes in the 17-19 minute range and they can suffer for it because they chop out more bits to fit in that time.

It's still worth watching though, they're getting really weird with it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

How the hell is there still a sopranos thread?

If people are going to rewatch/discover a show for the first time it may as well be an actual good one like The Sopranos.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

Is The Mick not mediocre? I heard it was mediocre, at least the first few episodes when reviewed by several publications.

To be fair that seems to be the norm with sitcoms and comedies in general on television.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think they have some sort of demo/affiliate program, I was able to get a free month with a link from a subscriber friend which is good because I only really care about MBMBAM.

bring back old gbs posted:

lmaooooo their commercials are ripped straight from blingee

The great thing is that AXN was a co-producer on Hannibal, so this is them promoting their own original programming.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

The comedy episode with Kumail was good.

I wish Kumail didn't abandon The X-Files Files.

feedmyleg posted:

Wasn't that episode written during the original run?

No. But they got Darin Morgan, the guy who wrote all the best quirky comedy episodes of the original run, to write it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Party Down a good show?

It's fantastic. The second episode, with them catering a College Republicans club, has possibly one of my favorite climaxes of any half-hour comedy. It's up there with Leslie Knope's campaign rally in my mind.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I've never watched Girls but I kind of wish I did just to spite the goonlords whose creepy obsession with hating Lena Dunham has reached the same level of cancer as hating Mount Everest, the Xbox One, and China.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rarity posted:

Netflix has their own version of Ninja Warrior and it's hosted by Terry Crews :stare:

Ninja Warriest

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
90s stuff can still be pretty rough but at the very least it holds up a lot better than what came before it since by that point you at least had more creator-driven stuff instead of the irredeemably garbage toy commercials of the 80s or the endlessly derivative and incestuous Hanna-Barbera clones that came before that.

The thing from that era that's held up the most in my eyes is The Adventures of Pete & Pete, mostly because of how hard it is to pull of that kind of magical realism/dream logic so effortlessly. Also because the cameos are so inexplicably outside of anything the target audience would recognize. You could release that show today more or less unchanged and it would still be great.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The most Doug Benson has ever made me laugh was when somebody described his stoner shtick as "greenface".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There's only one Sheldon in my heart.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
An ANW competitor should go in the opposite direction and instead give all the competitors crazy pro wrestler bombast and personas and have fun with it. I would much rather watch a bunch of happy and healthy athletes hamming it up and having a great time instead of Harry Hardluck and Sally Sobstory crying about the obstacles they overcame and the tragic figure in their past who motivates them for the zillionth time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The pyromaniac episode is probably one of the worst season one episodes of X-Files but it is kind of awesome to see Crowley from Supernatural/Gaius' lawyer from Battlestar Galactica young and fit and with a full head of hair.

feedmyleg posted:

The entire thesis of the episode is "Satanic Panic is so dumb that even Satan can't help but laugh at it."

The opening scene of a boring teacher conference that ends with them all "hail Satan"ing each other is such a hilarious Banality of Evil moment.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BSam posted:

guys, it's marvel

it won't be bad.

Counterpoint: every season of a Marvel Netflix show aside from maybe Daredevil s1 has only had half a season of actually good material. If Iron Fist's front half is bad that's a terrible sign because usually they at least have the courtesy to start strong before petering out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I only just found out that Last Man On Earth is back and the newest episode only drove home how much better the show would be if it was just an anthology series about comedians playing people dealing with living through the apocalypse instead of being a melodrama about a bunch of morons in a giant house being mean to each other.

https://i.imgur.com/BWDkEnZ.gifv

• Locked thread