Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

muscles like this! posted:

He's a tech billionaire and an evil sorcerer!

And the key to his first evil plan is stealing the head from the Lincoln Memorial, which is of course a magical totem used to contain a demon-possessed John Wilkes Booth

It really is some classic Sleepy Hollow historical absurdity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Snak posted:

Its definitely worth a watch. It's 3 seasons, less than 60 episodes total. Great cast.

Where are people seeing a third season of Life? I only remembered two, and I can't find mention of a third anywhere.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Alas, I think it might be you to whom this emoticon applies

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Onigami Nanashi posted:

I looked through the first couple pages of the forum and I didn't see a dedicated Emerald City thread.

I've seen all the episodes so far despite not knowing a single other person who's actually watching it. I don't have high hopes for it being renewed for a second season but I'm enjoying myself right now for the first. It doesn't hurt that the actor who plays Lucas is hot like fire.

I too am watching and enjoying Emerald City.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Gonz posted:

Oh, Carrie is indeed a realllly bad mother, but that was more of a "Somehow Dar knows who did the bombing and is protecting them" sort of comment.

I think it's as simple as Dar knows who did the bombing because he hired them to do it, we've seen them speaking on the phone. His agenda seems to be crafting a situation where the new president has to continue to lean on Dar's way of doing things, whether by forging evidence of an Iranian nuclear program or creating a terrorist attack (with high visibility and a low body count) in the middle of NYC. It's a very interesting plot, and this season has been really good.

On another Homeland note, the cabin where Astrid held Quinn this week, that was absolutely the Carrie/Brody getaway cabin from S1, right? Or do all cabins just look alike?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rhyno posted:

There are three fights over the course of Banshee's run that are brutal in a way unlike anything I've ever seen on television before.

Hood vs Sanchez

"Hood" vs the Albino

Nola vs Burton

I would add the fight between Carrie and that henchman in the first season. As I recall that fight scene was basically the B-plot of the episode, it just kept going and going and getting more brutal.

The Sanchez fight is definitely the peak for me, though.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Leviathan posted:

man, no homeland thread still. weak

No, which is a shame because this was probably the best season since the first (and that's speaking as someone who has mostly enjoyed the show).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

less laughter posted:

Likely mandated by HBO when it was still going to be on their network. It's what they do.

It's not like Starz is known for their subdued approach to sexuality in their shows.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

My god I just finished Slings And Arrows for the first time. It's so, so good -- the King Lear season in particular. Absolutely amazing. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, it's a Canadian comedy/drama about a theatre trying to put on various Shakespeare plays, and the difficulties involved. Each season focuses on a different Shakespeare, and part of the difficulty involved in mounting the production lies in the events behind the scenes beginning to mirror the events in the actual plays. Which should be a recipe for high fructose corn syrup, but it ends up not being at all.

The entire thing is so gentle and funny for the most part, but then the final season just really rakes the entire cast through it -- but the thing that really gets me is how grounded and realistic it is. Despite having supernatural elements it's never particularly genre, and despite being a drama It's never melodramatic. Even when it's funny all the characters are themselves first, and joke machines second -- except for the two comic relief characters, who both turn out to be deeply unbalanced people.

It's so, so good, and I think it's crazy that no-one really talks about it. I mean, you see it turn up in the occasional top ten lists, and critics like Sepinwall and Nussbaum talk really highly of it when it does come up. David Simon, who made The Wire, talked about how much he admired the show (and you can see it shares many of his sensibilities, if a completely different subject matter). Hell, Todd Vanderwerff did a whole big retrospective for the Av Club about five years back, back when the Av Club was a respectable name and had the content and coverage to back that name. But I don't think I've ever seen a show fall into complete obscurity so, so quickly.

It's really very good.

Definitely agree, I watched the whole series years ago and really enjoyed it.

Bonus points for probably being the last small Canadian production Rachel McAdams did before getting famous.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Qmass posted:

I am re-watching deadwood. My opinion, that deadwood is the greatest show of all time, remains unwavering. Those that disagree, suck cock by choice!

It really is the best

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

@Midnight is also now about Chris Hardwick's wife stories, and sometimes jokes.

I used to watch @Midnight pretty much every night, but it really did change when it officially became "@Midnight with Chris Hardwick." He started essentially doing 5-minute monologues at the start of every episode, they started doing a lot more obviously-pre-written material and sketches, and the charm just kind of drained out of it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

X-O posted:

Pretty much everything from minute one of @Midnight was pre-written by the people on the show. Not that it really matters, but it was almost all pre-written.

I'm aware of that, I just preferred them at least keeping up the appearance of spontaneity. Made tolerating the weaker jokes easier

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Well I finally got around to finishing Big Little Lies and man, that was a drat good show. Kind of hope there isn't a second season though. As good as it was I feel like it works best as a self-contained story.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Pedro De Heredia posted:

So there was no build up to storylines that had been built up?

I'm not sure where you're getting that this was supposed to be one of the most cathartic moments in the whole series. Not from the books, since it hasn't happened there. Not from the series, since it is not a cathartic series.

I found it pretty cathartic, but then I also thought it was extremely well-done

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

This season of Fargo is really not very good, and that sucks because I loved the first two.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Snak posted:

Oh, definitely.

But does scandal have like, clones and stuff? That might make me start watching it.

You can get everything worthwhile out of Scandal by just looking for Rowan/Eli's monologues​ on YouTube

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm on the second to last episode of Timeless and I only now just realized they named a character "Rufus Carlin"

I can't decide if that's awesome or eye-rolling

Not to mention Lucy Preston and Wyatt Logan

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

The first episode of S3 of Fargo is already leagues better than anything in season 2.

This is not true because while S2 was a step down from S1, S3 has completely lost my interest to the point where I didn't even finish last week's episode. May not bother with the rest of the season until it's done, either.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Lycus posted:

I haven't watched Fargo S3 yet, is the thread turning on it? Right on schedule.

I don't follow the thread, but last I checked they still seemed mostly positive on it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

See I really enjoyed Cloud Atlas (admittedly some of the stories much more than others), but Jupiter Ascending was genuine trash. Just awful on every level.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Arist posted:

lol people are getting pretty desperate to hate on fargo at this point

I was actually very interested in liking Fargo this year (the first two seasons are great), but unfortunately the plot and characters this season made that impossible!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hot take: This season of Fargo is easily the best one and S2 is the worst by a country mile.

I'd be genuinely curious to hear your reasoning. I ranked S1 higher than True Detective that year, and while S2 was a step down it was still engaging and fun. This season was so aggressively dull that I turned off an episode midway through and never felt tempted to go back.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

It's insane to me that both seasons are far enough along in pre-production that simply switching them around is a possibility.

I'm glad they are though, because I bet that Katrina one is going to suuuck

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Not me particularly, but at least it's a story I don't know. Katrina has been done to death both in fiction and regular media coverage

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Are you kidding me? I love John Le Carre. I love character studies (hence why Mad Men is my fav show of all time). And guess what, I also know how to spell.

Americans was a slog through a nasty muck of unchanging character dynamics, tedious side plots, and a general grayness stuck in only type of tone (grim). Hence why I bounced out during the second season.

There's some good things to be said for it, like it not being apologetic about what it wants to do. But people not liking it (which comes from them experiencing as "bad", by the way") doesn't deserve the snide post you just dished out.

FWIW this post comes off as way more confrontational and snide than the one you're responding to

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Because he's been trying to get another Wayne's World or Austin Powers film going for close to 10 years and nobody wants anything to do with either property anymore.

I wonder if he feels like Austin Powers just needs to do the 80s to complete the sequence

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

X-O posted:

I never liked the Austin Powers or Wayne’s World movies (I did like the SNL sketches though) but I think So I Married an Axe Murderer is a super underrated gem of a comedy movie.

So I Married an Axe Murderer is definitely excellent

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rhyno posted:

He should have made that into a franchise.

So I'm Still Married to an Axe Murderer!

Edit: Honey, I Shrunk the Axe Murderer!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

"Oh Hello" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. My wife and I were laughing hysterically almost the entire time. My comedy nerdery has rubbed off on her, and her old-school theater dorkiness has infected me, so we were pretty much their target audience. We both love John Mulaney, but I could never get into Kroll Show, mostly for some of his other obnoxious characters. I was vaguely familiar with Gil and George and "Too Much Tuna," but she watched it pretty much completely cold. I wish I could watch it again for the first time, but I'm sure it will have a lot of great re-watch value, unlike most stand-up specials.

I think it will be very polarizing, but I loved it, and I will be fascinated to know who else loved it, and who hated it. By the way, Mulaney is touring again this fall!

It really was excellent

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Snak posted:

Origin is much better than The Wolverine.

This is the truth

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's second season is starting up pretty soon

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Yeah I should've thrown "in a perfect world" in there.

Well, in a perfect world I'd hope they get paid the same :colbert:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

My favorite Undercover is probably a tie between Sharon Van Etten & Shearwater covering "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQrN8k7BVVY

and Iron & Wine covering "One More Try"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcbp0D896Ds

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

try the new taco place posted:

It sounded like a bad idea 6 years ago and then I heard Rihanna was playing the big Psycho part recently, but then I watched every other show. And now people are saying it deserves legacy Emmys right next to The Leftovers 🤔

Rihanna was barely on the show, and did pretty well with the part.

The show itself doesn't deserve to win any Emmys. The first couple of seasons suffered from spreading itself too thin trying to build a show beyond the source material and often failing to make it compelling. Like pretty much every show, once it got a firm end date that they were able to build to the show got exponentially better and by the end was very good by pretty much any TV standard.

The performances by Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore, however, were excellent from the start and only got better as the show went along. Either of them would have been deserving winners in pretty much any season, honestly.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Shooter is going to have some problems going forward with season 2 as Ryan Phillippe has somehow severely broken a leg in an accident unrelated to filming the show. They still have two episodes left to film which is going to be awkward to film around.

He's just going to be crouched down looking through a scope at all times

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Snak posted:

Yeah, I actually somehow forgot until watching the first ep just now that there was a reason I should watch it besides the praise.

But for real, the first 4 seasons of Dawson's Creek are great tv.

edit: 17 and a half minutes into Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt 23 and it's one of the best comedy pilots I've ever seen.

edit: 19 and a half minutes and this show is genius. Who lost their job for not advertising this at all?

Make sure you follow the correct production order, the broadcast order is hilariously wrong

http://mindy-tv.blogspot.com/2013/01/correct-episode-order-of-dont-trust.html

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

How did I not know until just now that a new Wet Hot American Summer show is coming on Netflix this Friday?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

zoux posted:

Well I guess I mean a western set in the Wild West era

True Grit?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

IRQ posted:

Aren't there supposed to be a bunch of other theme parks of different eras as part of that whole fiction?

There's at least one other (Samurai World) that we've seen indications of, yeah.

And that comic is stupid, because while we make fewer Westerns now than we used to, that's only because they were a mega-popular genre for so long that it got kind of played out. And it's not like little kids don't still want/pretend to be cowboys, and hey, wouldn't you know it, Westworld is literally just the adult version of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

esperterra posted:

How's her acting in it? I love Biel and will watch anything she's in, but I would never pretend she's a very good actress.

Been a while since she's done much, though, so maybe she's improved!

She's been good so far, and critics who have seen the whole thing praised her performance above all

• Locked thread