Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Graham Yost is the showrunner on Sneaky Pete (starting with episode two I think), and it also has Margo Martindale.

Rhyno posted:

Sold.
Already watched that and it doesn't seem likely to get a second season.

Sneaky Pete is amazing and feels like a spiritual successor to Justified. So many cast members (Famed character actress Margo Martindale, Boyd's girlfriend Mara, Coover, and I think at least one more that I'm forgetting right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

I've only seen the first 1.5 episodes but Detective Tim is another Justified Alumni

Duh that's the obvious one I was forgetting, thanks. Seeing him and Margo, then Coover pop up made me look and realize Yost was behind the show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

There are already Boston Marathon bombing movies. Trump movies? Try next year.

Well...you mean MORE Trump movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFjzFa7tgvg

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Shut Eye sounds great. Chance is next, then I'll give that a go. Sneaky Pete is amazing, everyone please watch it.

In sad news, Miguel Ferrer has passed away. He was one of my favorite "Hey it's that guy!" actors ever since Robocop. He was only 61.

That's a bummer. I'll always remember him as Lloyd from the Stand. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

This is it exactly. I'm probably going to finish watching it tonight because it's so drat good.

It and Chance are definitely my two picks for streaming original series in the last 6 months.

Oh and wait for the end...(finale spoilers) THE RETURN OF THE HAIR

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

I'm genuinely shocked by The Good Place season finale.

Anyone care to spoiler it? I'm so far behind in shows that while it's on the list, there's many more before it. I watched the first 3 episodes but got way behind.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fair enough. Is it streaming anywhere? That gets priority on the series I watch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Sneaky Pete was loving fantastic from beginning to end. I really thought it was going to nicely wrapped up as a single season series but that last bit of set up already has me hooked for the next season. A+.

I was kind of shocked AV Club is only giving it mediocre reviews. It was good on so many levels. I even put up with watching it via Chrome to Chromecast since Amazon is a bag of dicks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Stranger Things, Sneaky Pete, Sense8 Christmas Episode. Stay far the gently caress away from The OA unless you believe in the healing power of crappy interpretive dance...and hate yourself.

The OA is a really, really great show! Seven episodes is a strange pick for number of episodes in a season, but whatever, I can't wait to see what next season brings!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Man, and let me tell you about the streaming services like HBO Go that don't have automatic play for the next episode so when an episode is over I have to reach all the way over to the side table for my phone, go back 2 or 3 steps to find the next episode, and then start it manually. Such a horrific inconvenience. And then when that's over I have to do it again!

Like, "first world problems" is one obvious, shameful thing but I'm old enough to remember a time I never followed a TV show unless each week I remembered to set the VCR Plus, put in a tape with room, and make sure it wasn't so used that things would be unwatchable. And yet stupid lazy poo poo like this actually bothers me sometimes.

Hahaha I'm with you. I recorded every episode of Buffy and South Park on VHS, rewatched them countless times and had printed labels for each "volume".

Now if I want to watch a movie and it's not streaming, I have to decide on something else even if I own the DVD.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Shut Eye is Hulu right? I need to get my sister's log in for that. Chance is also highly regarded right?

Yeah both are Hulu. I think Chance is superior, and a better contained one season story. I don't know if it's meant to be a multiple season story.

Shut Eye is good but definitely feels more of a setup for further seasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Maybe with the upcoming restrictions being lifted on a bunch of stuff, we can finally get a real life Series 7!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKM5Qq-ZuLM

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

No one will remember La La Land in 6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abn6cPxrc5w

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pan Dulce posted:

I imagine this is what most people felt like when they saw Reagan films and he was in office. I think I saw one of them on tv in a public access oldies station and was confused for two seconds before remembering.

DID YOUR PRECIOUS REAGAN EVER DO THIS THOUGH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUnVDs7PmLk

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Mallrats told me everything I need to know about Archie.

I think you mean Chasing Amy. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jbDprab-4

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Has anyone watched Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix yet? I'm a huge Timothy Olyphant fan...but reading the basic premise makes it look sort of like a knock off iZombie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Daedo posted:

The show isn't out until next Friday.

D'oh, that's what I get for skimming the ever increasing amount of "COMING TO NETFLIX, AN ORIGINAL SERIES!" emails I'm getting. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

precision posted:

Well I'm going to buy a bunch of comic books for the first time ever, Squirrel Girl looks funny

You can sign up for a trial of Marvel Unlimited and read at least a few issues online.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

They're supposed to be 18, I think. "Last summer" he could've been 17, though.

I'm watching it right now, and I think they just mentioned they're sophomores. So...yeah. Creepy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

What's Glitch like?

And how has People Mysteriously Return From The Dead But They're Not Zombies become its own genre?

I enjoyed it. Nothing ground breaking but a nice concept.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

That's not a CW thing. That's a TV/Movie thing in general.

I'm alright with that but I seriously wish they'd knock off the "Look how beautiful that girl is, I have no chance with him" in every show ever. Poor Felecity Smoak, the ugliest woman ever...oh wait.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

raditts posted:

Felicity wears glasses with her hair tied back, the universal symbol of ugliness and undesirability.

I do love that they fully embraced that trope, having her hair down and contacts in during the romantic times.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pan Dulce posted:

Ever have a supporting actor on a tv show leave because they think they can do better on another show as lead? Do either shows, the show they were on previously or the one they get into next ever succeed?

Closest I can think of is Tom Ellis leaving Once Upon a Time even though his character was going to get full-time supporting to do Lucifer.

Kal Penn left a starring role on House for a supporting gig on some reality political show

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if they can get Sinbad to reprise his role.

"Hulk not good with words...Hulk write down..."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I want to believe Timothy Olyphant is a cool dude. He's one of those actors I always enjoy and root for in everything, like Paul Rudd, Sam Rockwell, Edward Norton, Donald Glover, and Adam Scott.

Speaking of Olyphant, my wife and I recently binge-watched Deadwood (my second time, her first), and I couldn't get her to make it through the first episode of Justified, but she seems to like Santa Clarita Diet much more than I do so far.

He's also cast perfectly in A Perfect Getaway, an incredibly fun and underrated movie everyone here would love.

I'm fine with Olyphant being an rear end in a top hat in real life. Don't need all my actors to be friendly, especially when they play charming assholes so well. :)

I watched all of Santa Clarita Diet over the last few days. The constant frazzled nature of Olyphant's character was pretty great. Loved the drug dealer's apartment scene "Hey! Who the gently caress are you?" "Joel poo poo"

I mentioned it earlier but I think I would have enjoyed it much more had I never seen iZombie which really does the "living day to day as a zombie" better. It had some good fun moments, but wasn't anything special.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Look at this dude with the correct opinion.

Also Timothy Olyphant is usually the best part of whatever he is in and his costars on Justified had nothing but good things to say about him, he and Patton Oswalt are close friends these days and if Patton likes you you're probably a good guy.

Also gently caress Kevin Smith.

Yeah, Patton liking him means he can't be terrible. He's one of the most genuine dudes in ye ol' Hollywoods.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah Kevin Smith talking poo poo doesn't mean anything.

A few years ago he was in a feud with Adam Carolla (might still be, who knows). The podcast where they tried to "settle their differences" was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever listened to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

IRQ posted:

Adam Carolla strikes me as a real piece of poo poo so them two feuding is appropriate.

Yeah he seemed a cool, down to earth person around Man Show/radio show days, but has gotten significantly more pompous over the year.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It feels a bit disjointed but I will soldier on.

From last page, but for me it became way more enjoyable when I distanced myself from thinking "it's House but he's a shrink".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

precision posted:

I like Baskets but I think Horace and Pete is just as interesting, maybe moreso.

Is Horace and Pete streaming anywhere or still just purchase only?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Snak posted:

I've seen the first season of Hemlock Grove. It's very bad. It's interesting, but bad.

This is all you need to know about Hemlock Grove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzYGcPs_bo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Vera Farmiga has been crushing every role she's taken since Touching Evil.

God drat that was a good show.

Oh hey I found the other person that watched Touching Evil!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah the first half of s3 in Florence was iffy but the second half that's Red Dragon was great.

"Bowels in, or bowels out?" I really enjoyed how Hannibal was both faithful to it's source material and yet went completely away from it. I'm kind of glad they never got the rights to Silence of the Lambs because I think it would have taken away from the Hannibal/Will romance.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Also Lifetime has the rights to Silence for any TV adaption.

No really.

I now really want to see "A Cry in the Dark - One Transvestite's Story", a Lifetime Original Movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I tweeted a guess and a plot for next season and one of the writers tweeted back and said it was a great idea!

What was your idea? Spoiler if you want.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It seemed obvious that the reason the warden didn't mention Pussey's death in the press conference was because her father asked him not to. Remember he called him first. So Tastee loses her poo poo and incites a riot to get Pussey justice and it ends up not being what her actual family would have wanted.

I don't know how close of a guess it was but the writer (I checked their credits) said it was good!

Ah I actually thought something very similar. Good call.

I always like when writers take fan ideas and make them canon, like Supernatural and Chuck being God.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DoggPickle posted:

I'm not superstitious but isn't it that THING that people die in 3's. I have to really look up the Bill Paxton thing. That's just weird and unsettling. No more jokes about Bill Paxton and Bill Pullman.

The jokes are still happening. On my feed already "I loved him in Spaceballs" and "Well I guess ID43 isn't happening"

On a side note, thanks thread for convincing me to check out The Good Place and give it a second chance. Even having the ending spoiled it still caught me off guard.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks guys I wanted to do productive things this weekend but I guess I'm binging Patriot instead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Every Chicago OCCUPATION show is goddamned terrible and I always seem to be visiting the city when they're shooting on location and SHUTTING DOWN THE GODDAMNED TRAIN STATION I NEED TO GET OFF AT YOU loving ASSHOLES.

Personally I'm pumped for Chicago Frozen Yogurt Stand. I expect to see some real drama there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

precision posted:

If skipping forward in the episode order is something that doesn't bother you, for the love of God watch the episode "Bad Blood" right the gently caress now.

Huh I think I found the episode on YouTube but it's just a bunch of young girls fighting and singing.

• Locked thread