Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Love Crime posted:

I have the same problem with Sherlock that I do Luther, everybody keeps trying to get me to watch them and I give it a few episodes each and have no idea what the appeal is at all. Either I'm racist to British stuff or people specifically like generic British stuff just for being British, or both.

It's probably both.

You're definitely not alone on that. Neither show is very good, though both had some decent episodes. In both cases I think I was expecting them to get better to match the hype, but instead they got worse as they went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

It also suffers from having a protagonist who isn't all that interesting. That's not Buscemi's fault, it just kind of does nothing with him. And that last season makes some hugely questionable choices.

Disagree about Buscemi. He's a good actor, but he was completely miscast in that role. Every time he was supposed to be physically intimidating to someone (or even worse, actually got in a fist fight), it was kind of ridiculous. I agree about the last season though; turning a gangster story turned into a weird morality play about something that took place decades before the plot even started was kind of a poo poo show.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That thing that happened is referenced heavily in previous seasons and is the start of everything that happens in the show. You sound like a person complaining that a movie didn't have enough splosions.

It didn't come out of nowhere, but the disproportionate focus on Nucky's sins of the past while the show was busy elsewhere covering the rise of organized crime in Chicago and New York made the show a tonal mess. Boardwalk Empire as a show tried to be half a gangster.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The show was about fictional character Nucky Thompson. There may have been a million side people and side stories, but he was the beginning and end of that show. The event we're talking about is central and essential to the motivations of Nucky, the rise to power of Nucky, and where Nucky is at the end of the show.

The show you're describing sounds even worse than the show we got.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You one of them weirdos who thinks Mickey Doyle was the main character the whole time?

I wish. Of course Nucky was the main character, but he often wasn't the best part of the show, and saying that the show begins and ends with him makes all the side plots sound like filler. If that were true, it would be a pretty awful show. Imagine saying Mad Men began and ended with Don Draper and everything about Peggy, Pete, Joan and Roger that wasn't directly tied to Don didn't really matter since it wasn't the point of the show.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Person of Interest is dire and only gained a following because people were desperate for science fiction TV. Quit now.

I watched all of it, and think this is at least as accurate as people who say it's a great show. The high concept twist to the formula does make it more interesting than other procedurals (which isn't saying a lot), but honestly the show's ideas are often better than the execution, especially as the sci fi elements become more and more prominent. Some of the characters are interesting/good, but I think the show leans a bit too heavily on viewers finding their interactions charming in the later seasons and feels a bit fan servicey.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Most network dramas suffer from the same problems - too high an episode order, and the constant need to make it accessible for new viewers.

That's true. I think that's probably an even bigger problem than the formulaic nature of the procedural elements, honestly. When characters have to interact that much, even their banter (which can sometimes feel endless since it's covering a lot of exposition) starts to feel rote.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The season 3 teaser's out for Better Call Saul, and last season's thread seems to be closed for archiving, so I hope it's okay to post this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3WzxpdUc0

This was inevitable, so there's not much point in being annoyed about it, but I wish this show was more interested in being about Jimmy's story and less interested in being an all-purpose prequel for Breaking Bad. I feel like they increasingly have a Daenerys problem where some characters feel like they're off in their own worlds instead of actually interacting with each another.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

As said, it's kind of unavoidable. Better Call Saul isn't set far enough back from Breaking Bad that you can ignore the "prequel" stuff entirely. It's been great seeing Jimmy and the man he was but at some point Saul has to present himself and Mike needs to become Gus' soldier or it kind of doesn't make sense.

I mean, I'd love ten years of Jimmy but they wrote themselves into a corner with that premise unless they just say "gently caress Breaking Bad". Which I'd theoretically be fine with but you know a ton of nerds will be freaking out over.

We know where Jimmy ends up, but even Saul wasn't all that deeply involved in the criminal world before the events of Breaking Bad; he was mostly just a corrupt sleazeball lawyer who had a fixer who was more connected than Saul realized. I don't think making a ten year show about Jimmy as a lawyer would have worked, but I don't think ten years of this is going to work either, especially since nobody's getting any younger. I still like the show we got, I'd just rather have had a smaller, more focused series about the Jimmy to Saul transition without quite as much Pre-Breaking Bad starring Mike the 70 year old badass and whatever callback characters are around this week.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I grew up with TNG. It was the first show I ever followed. I even bought a couple TNG novels and bought the Enterprise D Technical Manual.

The Orville makes me wish we had more Star Trek, but I don't mean Enterprise or the JJ Abrams films and certainly not ST Discovery.

Don't hold your breath waiting on Star Trek or Star Wars that doesn't feel like fan fiction. It's all expanded universe now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just because it references Trek doesn't mean you have to know Trek to get what's going on. This isn't a complicated show.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Maybe people just want to watch a heavily promoted science fiction show that has some jokes as window dressing. :shrug: I don't think it's hilarious either, but I do think the comedic tone keeps it grounded and relatable.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 18, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I used to think Jessica Jones needed fewer episodes, but now I mostly think it just needed to use a couple more episodes in the beginning to establish her world and see her work before introducing the villain, which would have streamlined the main plot a bit.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

US Office is Better I SAID IT

(I mean it also has way lower lows but that's American sitcoms that go on for too long for you)

It's funny because I think even the second series of the British Office was a case of diminishing returns. The American version obviously did a lot to soften characters, but that made it tolerable for a lot longer than the British version could have been.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Snak posted:

That's because S1 was mostly plot-driven and "figuring out what's going on" driven. Then S2 turned sharply into pure character poo poo, which turned away a lot of the "doing hacking missions" and "being like fight club" fans. It also kept getting weirder. These are all good things, from my perspective, but harder to write accessible "thinkpieces" about.

The ending of season 1 really wrote them into a massive corner that by necessity would change a lot of what would come after, yeah. I love the show, and think the show's highs are at least as high as in the first season now, but I also think it's generally shakier and can feel like character motivations are opaque or even arbitrary at times. I'm in for the long haul, but I don't blame anyone looking for something more grounded.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I also don't think Bob's Burgers is funny despite very much wanting to like the show, and remain mystified that so many people seem to adore it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I always wonder if there's any kind of behind the scenes 'hey you guys do what you have to do to save face and maybe we'll work together in the future when this dies down' talk when something like this happens. He's getting the full Kevin Spacey treatment, but his behavior, while awful, really doesn't seem to be on the same level to me, and some of this response seems more driven by timing than the specifics of the case (especially since it seems like this was kind of an open secret in the comedy world, and that the behavior doesn't seem to have been ongoing). It just seems to me like there are still going to be people who want to be in the Louis CK business a few years from now, after his apology tour.

When it comes to Tig specifically, who does seem to be going out of the way to burn bridges, it seems very hard to believe she had no idea at all about the rumors until recently. I don't think she's a bad person for hustling to make a buck and then developing a conscience once she made it, but I don't think it's super brave either.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 11, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rarity posted:

It's not about levels. Exerting your position of power to satisfy your own wrongs by making someone else feel uncomfortable and traumatised is wrong no matter what act you do.

Nobody's disputing that it was wrong. Saying there are no levels of wrongness or punishment in society is obviously untrue though, and shows how he's getting swept along in an overdue current (admittedly because his admission and apology is also overdue).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Spacey's behavior involved multiple underage people and seems to have continued on the job basically until the allegations came out, whereas Louis seems to have learned his lesson long before the rumors came out about him. I don't think he's above reproach just because the acts were some time ago, but I do think the burn everything down approach taken by long time collaborators seems a bit much. I don't blame anyone who disagrees though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rarity posted:

Saying this minimises the experience of victims and devalues the extent of the emotional damage. It tells victims that they shouldn't feel bad about it because 'at least it wasn't X'. We can always think of a situation worse than the one we went through and this causes long-term problems because it prevents victims from processing their experiences and leaves them with pent-up trauma. The only way we're going to confront the endemic issue of sexual harrassment in society is by accepting that the extent of the act itself does not correlate with the negative impact it has on the victim because all acts are based on this same underlying power exchange.

I mean physical harm is traumatic too, and you wouldn't say all physical assaults are equivalent because saying a minor scuffle isn't the same as assault with a deadly weapon minimizes the experience of victims. Some actions or crimes are worse and more likely to cause trauma than others.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Remember when people were asking what accusation would hurt them the most? I think I have a new answer.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-accused-sexually-assaulting-model-1981-1056698

Oh my.

At least people will stop sharing the poo poo his assistants post for him on facebook all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Maybe some people wanted to get paid up front and others wanted points. Who knows.

• Locked thread