Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Love Crime posted:

We have 4 shows we can't talk about and Arrow isn't one of them?

hosed up.

Rhyno posted:

I still say it's a shame Amell will get zero recognition for his scene with his Robert and Moira in that episode because he brought his a-game and he crushed it.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

We know what polarizing means.

:thejoke:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's a necessary setup though, you kinda need the boring day-to-day foundation of Longmire's current life to set the stage for everything that comes after (and before). Taking so long to set it is a downside of serialization, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Seven eps into Sneaky Pete, it's like they said "let's get all those great supporting character actors from other shows together and let them be the stars for once". And they did, and it was good. It was real drat good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Grey posted:

Anyone see this new reality show "Hunted" on CBS?

It basically a manhunt where the contests have to last 28 days without getting caught by this task force of former law enforcement agents. Seems like a cool concept, but the execution of the show feels phony and impractical.

Somehow the task force has access to things like ATM cameras and their cell phone records. One of the dumb teams only managed to go for a few hours before getting caught. Also for the contestants... Why wouldn't you just go and sit in a friends basement for 28 days?

This kind of reality show was tried once before and I'm pretty sure it failed for the exact same reasons. Without some objectives/contests to keep things interesting and episodic, such a broad premise is way too unfocused fit a TV show format.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You all are describing a really crappy version of The Running Man.

Yes, exactly. It needs to be more gamey and artificial, not less. Like a free-range American Gladiators.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-fk58J08w

One of the greatest moments in television history.

In an episode that also featured a murder turducken.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

the APB show

There's a show about Russian hackers running amok in GTA Online: Before There Was GTA Online Edition?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

I saw the commercials for that show during the Super Bowl and audibly groaned. Do we need another show about the brave and heroic police officers but now they have future tech to subjugate the poor and working poor?

Bring back Almost Human :argh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Its totally fair to hate the legacy of Lost fandom and all the toxic fandoms that have come out of it. I'm right there with you. I Xed the Good Place thread because I felt it getting the Lost treatment.

I'm catching up on The Good Place now and I was considering looking up the thread, thanks for shaking some sense into me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I went in deliberately avoiding the spoilers and loved every minute of it, I don't get people who have to read the last page of the book first.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The age before printed review must've been sheer agony for these folks :ohdear:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BSam posted:

How does it end?

They all got old and died.
__________/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Well I already gave up because the pilot was so goddamned horrible.

Wow, what a pussy. Some of us suffered through that for years. YEARS!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

Also reminds me that Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter fell in love on Dexter while playing brother and sister. Weird.

That probably ended up helping them later.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Legion is now airing on Hulu, new episodes go up the Sunday after they run on FX. Not sure yet if they're doing live+5 or the whole show but since we're only four eps in now, good time to catch up either way!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Superrodan posted:

I'm kind of tired of the reality TV "everyone's story is inspiring" formula, and this dials that back a bit.

I like ANW quite a bit, but I've always wondered if they've been quietly rejecting people that don't fit the inspiring underdog mold all this time or if they do have a plan for an eventual applicant who doesn't fit that paradigm. Like if someone with no background of illness, tragedy, poverty or same from immediate family and is already fit and well-trained applies and the producers just look at each other for a moment, nod and go "Yes. We've found our first heel."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It solves the problem with the setup, clearly there are other problems with the execution.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Plus the mythology stuff is pretty compelling conspiracy/thriller material if you ignore that they clearly had no idea where it was going, they keep up the energy pretty well for the first four or five seasons. Even the moment where Cancer Man (season 6 spoiler) shoots Agent Spender is still one of the best OH poo poo points in the series.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That gif displays more charisma than his entire screentime in the series.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wormil posted:

In other news, I watched the first 2 episodes of Time After Time and it was really cheesy and dumb but some part of me enjoyed it. Probably the part that wants to punish itself from some past misdeed. Looking at the season preview, it looks like the plot will be exactly the same as Timeless -- chasing a villain through history while occasionally teaming up to combat a greater conspiracy.

Oh lord, I can barely handle the Timeless we already have, and that's mostly just to see if their incredibly reckless time changes ever catch up to them and they come back to an America run by like a modern French-Iroquois alliance still controlled by Rittenhouse.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Except that is kinda the purpose of a lot of entertainment, is to get the audience emotionally invested in something.

If you're emotionally invested in a show then you cannot scientifically assess it on the Metric Quality Index. Please maintain laboratory observation protocol.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

After I saw that last Sherlock episode I came to terms with the fact that it's actually just a superhero show.

Even that's been done better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TinEye tells me that's 70s brit rocker Noddy Holder, of the band Slade.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just finished the most recent season of Homeland, and drat. Just drat.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

X-O posted:

But the most you can really say in that case is you didn't like that episode. Which is fine, but you can't really act like you have a fully formed opinion of it. One episode is probably enough for some people to judge whether a show is for them or not, but it's not really enough to judge the show on.

You give people a chance. You give a show as many watches as the show earns by gaining and keeping your interest. If it's so virulently horrible that one episode is all that manages then welp, that was "the chance".

For example, Bill Nye's new show was so bad that by the time Zach Braff showed up I'd rather have been washing my eyes in Listerine. So, I gave that show a chance, and it turns out the chance was worth less than one episode's runtime.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snak posted:

His target audience is dumb adults. Smart adults don't need Bill Nye to convince them about climate change.

Which is super ironic because his condescending angry ranting style is right out of the South Park smug liberal douche playbook. If he was preaching to the choir any harder people in the audience would be collapsing in the aisles speaking in tongues.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 26, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Right, in other words, set aside your ego for a few minutes and talk to your audience in their own terms, regardless of how you feel about them. It's essentially diplomacy, which starts with understanding where the other side is coming from regardless of how wrongheaded or dangerous you think they are. Nobody responds well to someone coming at them with the attitude of "you're dumb as dogshit and I'm here to ram real understanding down your ignorant throat".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Quick, someone make American Dogs!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'll watch Riverdale as soon as they have Punisher and Predator crossovers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I admit I'm ignorant on this stuff so sorry about that.

It's still stupid to get that upset over a drat drama. The stabbing scene in Saving Private Ryan is indeed one of the most horrific deaths I can remember but I'm not going to break down into tears and become a mess over it. Nobody was stabbed, it's an actor that gets to go home to his multimillion dollar mansion.

Do you let the cigarette hang off your lips when you lean against the wall or give it a quick drag and flick after saying this? I want to make sure I got my "too cool for human empathy" affect down right.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skasion posted:

The point of divergence in the timelines is earlier than when this show is set, though. Earlier in development it was claimed that this was set in the original timeline and not the new-movie timeline, but it basically looks exactly like the new movies. So in my estimation the answer is that they don't care what "canon" anything is and will play fast and loose.

This is almost right, but not for lack of trying on CBS's part. The official line is that it's a prequel of the TV shows because they only have the IP rights to the original continuity, but it's clearly got Abramsverse fingerprints all over it. CBS cares exactly as much as necessary to avoid a lawsuit from Paramount while hoovering all the sweet 18-35 male demographic numbers they can away from the movies to their geriatric network.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's exclusive to some CBS streaming service so it's going to tank even if the show is good

Undoubtedly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

These "violent redneck gets a weird power" X-files episodes are so boring.

If you can't appreciate Eli Bly as an illiterate Appalachian witch doctor I don't know what to tell you.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mulva posted:

Timeless has the benefit of being one of the few shows where I was absolutely hoping the "Bad guy" would win somehow.

It really needs to take a Legends of Tomorrow-style turn into embracing the absurd.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Argue posted:

I was a bit disappointed they weren't making massive changes to the timeline like the pilot implied they'd be doing, but I liked some of the stuff they did towards the end, where they started doing things like teaming up with Harry Houdini to save Thomas Edison and take down HH Holmes. More of that would be great.

I know, right? I was waiting for all those changes to accumulate until one time they'd come back and America was founded by the French in the 1720s and stretched from the Missouri River to Hudson Bay or some insane thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of those shows that went on for years and years but in retrospect doesn't really seem like it was such a big deal. See also: Without a Trace, to some extent Law & Order: Criminal Intent and CSI: NY etc.

This is how I feel about Wings, and I even grew up during it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wonder if Bedalia's leg luau will be canon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lycus posted:

How is Gargoyles today? Because I thought that was the greatest thing on TV back then.

Absolutely still holds up. It was Disney's BTAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It took like 30 seconds for my kid brain to get over the change in venue for the characters when I first saw Tale Spin. Incidentally I think that's about how long the intro was.

• Locked thread