Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I usually take celebrity deaths in stride but Bill Paxton passing is super bumming me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Badger's Star Trek fanfiction is the realest poo poo imaginable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
People seemed down in general on the finales for both Fargo seasons, and while they are not the highs of each respective seasons I loved both seasons overall (especially S2) dearly. Fargo S2 is probably the closest I've felt to how drawn into a TV show I was during Breaking Bad's final few episodes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While there are certainly some elements that are enjoyable I felt the drop from Twin Peaks S1 to S2 was quite precipitous. Yeah I know the background as to why that's all the case but it still bums me out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The characterization in Mr. Robot S2 was all over the place though, and some (Angela) were actively detrimental in my opinion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Angela in the room with the kid and the computer might be the most I've hated television in years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fargo S2 is almost perfect television, IMO.

Also I literally can not believe Twin Peaks 2017. What the gently caress did I just watch, David Lynch? That was some drat good coffee.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I agree that at least thus far, Fargo S3 has had more stretches of being kind of dull than previous seasons. It's not so drastic a fall that I'd characterize it as a meaningful drop in quality but I'm not glued to the set as much as I was for S1 and S2. I'm also not sure I'm feeling the villains in it as much, other than I really want to see them go down. Like you'd almost be entranced by Billy Bob Thorton and a part of you wanted to see him succeed (as long as it meant no harm to Gus and Molly), and for how monstrous the Gerhardts were they still felt very human. Varga is as menacing and alien as Malvo but with none of the charisma.

Best character by far is Nikki.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not even close. I sometimes forget Fargo S3 even has a cop character B plot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having watched Twin Peaks for the first time last year I absolutely think it holds up enough in just the right places to merit watching now in 2017. The heads up on season 2's bizarre circumstances/format is helpful to know but it's otherwise a very compelling work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While my enthusiasm for BSG has cooled significantly over the years, I still can't think of a show that had the impact for season starting episodes/midseason episodes/finales. Even Lost at its best I feel only really had one (the season 3 finale) that was on the same level.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dale Cooper is one of the best Television characters of all time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fargo S3 has definitely been a clear step down from the first two seasons, which I mostly attribute to the villains being really lame and the standard competent cop character being boring and irrelevant to the point of not even needing to be in the show. Nikki has been the lone bright spot, I like that character a lot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's standard operating procedure for any Competent Fargo Cop, really.

Anyway you'll never hear me disparage Carrie Coon, it's more that Gloria has thus far been a very ineffectual presence due to a variety of reasons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Escobarbarian posted:

The main thing really is Varga for me. He's such a lovely character in every way. If there was any attempt to give him depth or anything, I'd probably be able to view the show in a more positive light. But he just slinks around being creepy and making people drink piss and it's no fun at all for me, even with Thewlis in the role.
Malvo was incredibly charismatic and almost mesmerizing, you knew he was evil but a part of you still wanted to know what he'd do next and how he'd play whomever next. There wasn't really an omnipotent villain in S2 other than maybe Hanzee, but that was fine because the nature of that season was such that you had all these well fleshed out and developments sides and players all going against each other and didn't really need a Malvo driving everything.

Ostensibly we are meant to look at Varga in the same way as a Malvo but he's the exact opposite in terms of charisma; you're just disgusted by him and more than menacing he just comes off as annoying. It was fascinating see Malvo work, the most we've seen of Varga is him googling people and somehow magically hacking everything offscreen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only one of those I've seen is Better Call Saul, but it's probably enjoying its best season thus far so I have no reservations recommending it anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am neutral on all aspects of Fargo S3. I don't think I liked or disliked it all that strongly, whether we're talking about the finale or the season as a whole. There are definitely some good parts of course but I will all but assuredly completely forget about it given enough time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Several Goblins posted:

So Couch Chat, I'm some sort of weird crazy person who has watched almost nothing but movies for my entire life. I've only seen a small handful of TV shows to completion, and a few episodes or first seasons here and there. And most of what I've watched have been recent. My girlfriend and co-workers have been telling me to catch up on stuff for forever now and I'm just now getting around to doing it. I've seen the following shows in their entirety:

Firefly
Deadwood
Westworld
Twin Peaks
Fargo
True Detective
American Gods
The Walking Dead
Legion

And uhh....that's it. I think I have a long way to go. :aaa:
You're going to get a lot of (probably) good recommendations, and whatever I say is just going to be a drop in the bucket, but with every fiber of my being I would say the shows not on your list that absolutely should be ASAP would be Breaking Bad and The Wire, and maybe Arrested Development if you're willing to throw a comedy into the mix.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Scrubs goes through a real rough patch, starting with season 5 (though that still has a smattering of great episodes) up to the end of season 7, but it is otherwise remains one of the best comedies I feel I've ever seen; at the very least season 8 was a great way to send it off and recover from said rough patch. Of course then we got the med school follow up but it feels so far removed from the main show that I at least have no trouble just ignoring it a la Parks & Rec season 1.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've rewatched Scrubs S1-S4 enough times that I feel it's worth revisiting, they hold up pretty well, especially the first two seasons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked Firefly at the time, I remember it along with Arrested Development being the shows to convince me that I should start paying more attention to TV instead of movies, but it did not take long at all for it to lose its sheen and I've never really understood why there was such an effort to get it revived. Surely that zeitgeist has past us by now, right? Right?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

Twin Peaks is the best show of the year. Goddamn. GODDAMN
I genuinely can't believe that it exists, as a product to consume in general. What a wonderful thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

The only Ken Burns documentary I've watched was Jazz which I did not like because he relied almost entirely on one set of experts (Albert Murray, Stanley Crouch, Wynton Marsalis) who have a very narrow, very conservative idea of what jazz music is and push that agenda throughout the series.

Are his other ones better?
Baseball and Civil War are IMO the best non-Planet Earth documentary series ever made. The only mark against Baseball for me is the 10th Inning which came out in 2009 and hilariously gives like 99% of its screentime to the Red Sox and Yankees.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I usually don't bother with HitB but Best of the Worst has been the best feature on RLM for a long while. I've never really liked the idea of intentionally watching bad movies in their entirety, like rifftrax or MST3K, so having a cliffnotes back-and-forth take like that has been nice and a feature I look forward to having every now and then.

Plinket reviews kickstarted a bad trend of youtuber reviews but I appreciated, at least at the time, being able to articulate the reasons those movies were so bad besides just nebulous accusations of it ruining my childhood. Probably no way in hell I could go back to them at this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Eating fried chicken slathered in corn syrup is peak America
Where do Chicken & Waffles fit into this equation

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

Burger King chicken fries are the worst because they are terrible at being chicken tenders/nuggets and they are terrible at being french fries. Who asked for chicken fries?
Those Mac&Cheese Cheetos things are one of the worst pieces of "food" I've ever tried.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Argus Zant posted:

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that Cameron returning to Terminator will go over about as well as Scott returning to Alien went.
Harsh, but fair.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chalk me as someone who felt the show lost me with season 2. It seemed to me that it got way, way too cute with its silly grand conspiracies and focused on a plethora of characters I categorically did not give a poo poo about. The nadir being the episode with Angela and that kid at the computer. It would take a pretty strong hype zeitgeist to get me back on board for a third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What do you do when you've tried to get into Bob's Burgers multiple times but never once found it funny in the slightest but you're on all the dating apps and most girls list that as their favorite show and you feel like a weird outsider who's missing something?
I forced myself through five seasons before I finally had to just admit that it was not ever going to land for me. I can see the appeal and Kristen Schaal and H. Jon Benjamin are treasures, but I just disliked the characters themselves and whatever stories/mishaps they found themselves in.

• Locked thread