Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Rhyno was right about Amell in that ARROW episode. He was great in that moment, and I actually really like what that episode did. It's even more potent given how FLASH has really been dragging out how Barry hosed up in creating Flashpoint. Yes he did, and it was selfish, but I don't think that show really knows what to do with that story and just keeps repeating the same thing over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm not sure how available it would be for American viewers, but if you can track down the INSIDE NO. 9 Christmas Special then you should do so. It was fantastic.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm enjoying THE CROWN more than I thought I would've. It isn't quite a love letter to those people, but I'm interested to see where it goes

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

X-O posted:

I assume from the ads that part of that is that Kaitlin Olson has already been playing the part for 11 years so it came fully formed.

Sepinwall talks about that in his review. It's even from former Sunny writers. But seeing as Sunny is starting up again, it makes more sense to just see her do the real thing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

BOARDWALK EMPIRE always felt like a show that was about to be great. Like you thought next season was going to be the one where it all clicked into place but for me it never did.

It also suffers from having a protagonist who isn't all that interesting. That's not Buscemi's fault, it just kind of does nothing with him. And that last season makes some hugely questionable choices.

Saying that, I'd still take it over HOUSE OF CARDS.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think I was lucky that I saw it early enough in the run that all I knew before going in was that it was weird, rather than being overhyped. While it's endpoint isn't unexpected, the level of insanity before they get there is jaw dropping at points whereas in Catfish I spent the whole time waiting for a single interesting thing to happen.

I actually found the last 15 minutes or so of CATFISH oddly affecting. I think it takes a really sympathetic approach with her when it really could've gone the other way. Really though, it should've just been a 45 minute thing. I still remember the trailer making it seem like some crazy horror movie (They get a lot of mileage from them showing up to an empty house at night and getting weirded out).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I wasn't that interested in Amazon's SNEAKY PETE, but after the first episode (from the creator of HOUSE) the show was rejigged with Graham Yost and other JUSTIFIED folks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Liked the first episode of UNFORTUNATE EVENTS. Though I feel like they should've held off on that final scene for another few episodes. It kind of undercuts the tension.

Also shout out to ARROW for having Oliver massively gently caress up, but immediately own up to it and the other characters acknowledging that its not his fault.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

There's no real spoilers, but Ted Danson's smile in THE GOOD PLACE was a wonderful moment.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

precision posted:

Not enough love for Jason's stick-figure rendition of the Kama Sutra :v:

I want to try the 'Webcrawler'

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think critics only got to see the first 3 episodes of LEGION anyway (At least according to Sepinwall's review), so I'm not really ready to believe it's about 'nothing', as arbitrary a term as that is.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

LOST ending rules and the only reason the opposite started getting taken as gospel is because Devin Faraci is loud and opinionated as gently caress

Sure, if you ignore A) The opinions of the majority of people who don't know who the gently caress Devin Faraci is, and B) That the whole final season is largely just a waste of time. And I even liked the finale.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

AVClub comments are usually fine, aside from the same fucker who, for every episode of THE EXPANSE, would start a big thread for people who have read the books. Discuss the loving show.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Isn't that kind of smart, though? Discus didn't have spoiler tags last year, so the best way to stop random book spoilers from floating around everywhere is just to create a dedicated thread for them, which the other posters can easily collapse.

Yeah, it'd be great if readers would just plain not let their foreknowledge infect conversation -- god knows I've been spoiled here because people don't get how spoiler tags work, if they bother to use them at all -- but that's just not going to happen. Their way at least contains the information, theoretically at least.

They have tags now, but invariably it still spills over into other comments. And I still don't really get the point of the same 5 people having a book discussion every week.

Also weirdly disqus is only collapsible on my phone.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

IRQ posted:

Speaking of good the BBC Top Gear started up again and it seems a lot better than last year's shitfest and the tragically bland Grand Tour.

It's early days, but I think LeBlanc is at ease as the host. I just think they need to find what works best for them now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Haha, from Dan Fienberg's review:

quote:

Subtext. Daredevil's Matt Murdock is driven by his Catholic guilt, Jessica Jones by traumatic assault and consent issues and Luke Cage by America's multi-century history of imperiled black masculinity. Iron Fist arrives in a deep hole amid concerns about its curly-haired, blonde protagonist appropriating Asian culture, but the bigger problem ends up being that he's barely even appropriating. There's no specificity to Danny's experience other than the most generic of identity crises — like the world needed another billionaire vigilante — and Jones is far too placid a leading man to give any sense of Danny's internal torment. He's not placid in a Zen way, just tepid like room temperature. Rather than being a man who found enlightenment through tragedy and disassociation from his upbringing, Danny comes across like a spoiled frat boy who took a comparative religion class and spends a few months picking up coeds by telling them he's totally into meditation and tai chi now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

This is why i don't read reviews. Someone always has an axe to grind.

This cultural appropriation poo poo rubs me the wrong way. You can't have a society where people aren't allowed to use any aspect of another culture.
There are plenty of Asian martial arts movies, the art of kicking someone in the face has no barriers.

It's a show in which I white man explains the ~true~ meaning of martial arts to his Asian sidekick. To somehow not mention any of that would be entirely worse.

Media has had a long long history with the White Saviour trope. Even if it's handled well it's still a loaded image. That IRON FIST so callously just blusters through it (As almost every review has mentioned), probably deserves to be pointed out. None of this "axe grinding" bullshit is needed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Mameluke posted:

Isn't Daredevil, one of the shows he specifically lauds in comparison, also about a well-off white man who learns generic ninja skills?

And the full review points out that all the Marvel shows have been flawed. But even then, I'm not sure that the comparison really sticks. DAREDEVIL is about a man who learns to fight well from Scott Glenn and takes a misguided tour into Ninja-ville. IRON FIST is steeped in Asian mysticism.

They could've easily just done as suggested in Sepinwall's review and made him Asian American. Problem solved. And it would still retain the 'Stranger in a strange land' vibe.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

precision posted:

Jesus Christ I am so hype, I had no idea it was coming out next month.

Have you seen every Rifftrax? I mean they vary wildly in quality and I find it really hard to believe you think they're all stinkers. At the very least, the Twilight riffs are loving great. And so is Guy From Harlem.

So I started a rewatch of Patriot last night. It's even better the second time through, Jesus. What a show.

Rifftrax varies wildly in quality, and I don't like any of the ones they do for movies that are 'good' (Though I know that's a highly subjective view). It's weird, but I feel like they're going through the motions. MST3K seemed more like a labour of love for everyone involved, Rifftrax just doesn't have that feel to it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HIMYM is probably the good standard, and while those early seasons were pretty good, Lily never stopped being an awful, selfish and petty character.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The HIMYM ending only seems to work if you pretend that about half the show didn't happen. I can see why they would film it back in Season 2 if they thought that it was only going to run for 3 or 4 seasons, but to get all the way to Season 9 and think that yeah, this ending still totally works. Still, NPH was consistently pretty great, even when they gave him some very questionable things to work with.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I really liked Sepinwall's piece defending the TV episode this week. It points to why I think generally most streaming shows have sort of failed. The adherence to 'Oh we're telling one story' really makes a lot of these shows more of a slog than they need to be. I would've thought that the binge model would allow more room for experimentation, not less.

Also: gently caress those people who edited BREAKING BAD into a two hour 'movie'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm alright with this. It should've never received another season anyway (Though they did pull out some gnarly deaths for Season 2) because it ends up like REVENGE, where you got a story for one really good season but have to keep piling twist upon twist. I do however like how they turned what was an actor's poor performance into a later twist, so it has that going for them. You would think that if one show was made for the anthology treatment it would be that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rarity posted:

Halfway through Iron Fist and it's... ok? I guess? Colleen Wing is fantabulous and the storyline is starting to get fun but the action is for the most part bland, there's way too much focus on corporate manoeuvrings and Finn Jones is nowhere near the level of Cox, Ritter or Colter. Also the opening credits sequence is awful.

You would think that for a show with a master martial artist, they might put one iota of effort into the action scenes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

I heard it had originally been intended for Rachel Dratch, but the network pushed for someone prettier and refused Tina Fey's pleas.

I believe the original pilot was shot with Dratch in the role. Krakowski is so good though, she just handled whatever they threw at her.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I read something about Reddit alt-righters teaming up to give it one star but they clearly didn't need to because maaaan it stinks so bad

That's been a very convenient excuse by Schumer and others for the poor rating. And to be fair there's a ton of reviews for the special that are blatantly about her rather than the product.

However...

It's bad. I like Schumer. I like her show, I liked TRAINWRECK but this is real bad. There are moments where she is clearly pausing to allow laughter and there isn't any.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

THE NIGHT MANAGER starts off well and then just descends into snooze town. I'm not really sure what the fuss was about.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Mulva posted:

They should have went with the original ending where the guy gets the girl, but the villain faces no comeuppance because he's ultimately useful to the intelligence community, and like all of the good guys that were just trying to do the right thing are dead or disgraced. Rather than the pat ending they tacked on for tv.

It's much more of a cynical ending than the Bond-esque adventure they were going for.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

I really want to know why he stopped The X-Files Files with zero fanfare. Was he pissed off about that awful terrorist episode? He was still doing it while they were producing and even airing the new episodes so I doubt there was any contractual reason for it.

He stopped it before he even shot his episode I think. I believe the reason was just that he was busy since they put the Indoor Kids podcast on hiatus as well. At the start of the year he said he'll be doing more, so I assume he's waiting for some downtime.

It was clear from his twitter that he hated that terrorist episode though, and quite rightly so.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

For the guy watching, BOSCH S1 is 'ok' but the other two are a lot better. I think Sepinwall in his review just said that you could read a synopsis, or the book, of the first season and be fine.

And I think it's one of the few 'Hey we're making a 13 hour movie' shows that doesn't feel like it has about 4 episodes too many.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So who here wants to get in on this insane boxset? Only $597

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/04/27/the-boondock-saints-origins-tv-series

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I know they have to take marketing and things like that into account, but I wish that Netflix just released the episodes themselves.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So I waited until 3 years after it aired to watch PSYCH's final season and...oooo that was not good. Roday and Hill still have fantastic chemistry, but creatively - such as it is - that show had nothing to do after like Season 5. Given they ended on Season 8 that's a lot of C-grade material. At least 1 or 2 episodes a season were great though, so there was that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

ER used to win so many Emmys it was ridiculous. It also had a character with AIDS treated respectfully and I never forgot that, remember this was in the early 90s. Also, George Clooney!

ER did some pretty dope stuff early on. It had that Tarantino episode (Between that and his two CSI episodes, I wish he'd do a bit more TV), the start of the world loving George Clooney (And his bobbing head), complicated medical jargon and Eriq La Salle doing some sort of kung-fu move in the opening credits.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

IRQ posted:

ER liked to tackle things like that, there was also the whole bundle of issues with Dr. Weaver being gay, disabled, and wanting to have a child. I want to say Dr. Benson(?) who had a deaf kid and they went through the whole cochlear implants debate. And the nurses poor working conditions.

But at its heart it was a soap opera where stupid poo poo like vengeful helicopters happened.

The plan was always for the show to start with Carter as a medical student and then end when he becomes an attending physician. At some point though that changed and the show started really stretching itself with trips to the congo and helicopter drama.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

That episode was so powerful, like some kind of televised singularity, that I saw it during its original broadcast despite never watching the show before or for many, many years afterward. I hadn't even seen an ad or anything to pique my interest, I was simply...compelled, at age 11, to say "Huh wonder what's going on tonight on ER."

(Fast forward eight seasons, the episode that got me to start watching ER? Romano's second encounter with the helicopter. No clue why I watched it, but then I was in. "This is compelling...and ridiculous. And it's got Donal Logue!")

Thanks to Sepinwall for reminding me, but 'Love's Labor Lost' from S1 is an outstanding hour of television. It's just Dr Greene having an increasingly lovely day.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

What about Revenge? Finish the sentence for me: "Revenge is recommended to people who enjoyed..."

One really strong season and then a nose-dive into badness.

Seriously REVENGE was a really fun show in its first season and had a real propulsive narrative. After that though it really is all downhill.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm enjoying AMERICAN GODS more so far than I enjoyed the book, which I never particularly cared for to begin with. I know they're using impressive visuals to disguise the fact that they're moving things along really slowly, but I kind of don't care.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone ever binge watch multiple series at once? For example, you'd get a box set for two shows and alternate them? I've only ever picked one show and watched it the whole way through but my brother was telling me the other day how he switches it up and watches two shows at once four episodes of each (i.e. one disc of a DVD set) at a time. I'm curious if that's something people do because he's the only person I know who does it.

I'll switch. I don't really have it in me to go through a whole series at once so I'll usually do a few episodes at a time and then switch to something else. It's just personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

I remember giving up on the show mid-season 2 back in the days so I'm actually just jumping ahead. Doesn't really seem necessary to watch the part that everyone agrees was really bad.

Probably a bit late for this but skip to the last two episodes of S2 and then the movie, both seem integral to the new one.

• Locked thread