Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Secret History

Dominion is a deck-builder designed by Donald X. Vaccarino (commonly referred to as Donald X. or DXV) and published by Rio Grande games. If you're in this thread, you probably know what a deck-building game is...but if you don't, the gist is that each player starts every game with a small, identical hand of cards, and builds their deck from a supply as play progresses. These cards range from money (to buy more cards), actions, victory points, and other esoteric types.

There are all sorts of products to buy for Dominion. This game has been around for a while and has lots and lots and lots of expansions and other products:

Dominion, where it all started (sort of...you may notice the big "Second Edition" banner on this box; I'll address that in the FAQ)
BGG Page(Second Edition) Secret History(Second Edition)

Intrigue, the 1st expansion. Themed around offering choices between multiple effects. The only first expansion to have received the Second Edition treatment.
BGG Page(Second Edition) Secret History(Second Edition)

Seaside, the 2nd expansion. Introduced Duration cards which have an effect when played and another effect later on. The second expansion to have received the Second Edition treatment
BGG Page (Second Edition) Secret History (Second Edition)

Alchemy, the 3rd expansion. Has a unique currency co-existing with normal treasure, and cards with many actions. A small-size expansion.
BGG Page Secret History

Prosperity, the 4th expansion. Adds higher valued treasure and victory cards, and generally focuses on accumulating and spending wealth
BGG Page (Second Edition) Secret History(More Secret History) (Second Edition)

Cornucopia, the 5th expansion. Rewards building decks and drawing hands with a wide variety of cards. A small-size expansion. Not sold separately in English any longer; only available bundled with Guilds (see FAQ).
BGG Page Secret History

Hinterlands, the 6th expansion. Contains many cards that have special effects when purchased and gained, instead of just when played.
BGG Page (Second Edition)Secret History (Second Edition)

Dark Ages, the 7th expansion. Focuses on trashing (permanently discarding) cards and interacting with said trash pile. Even among the larger expansions, this one is BIG.
BGG Page Secret History

Guilds, the 8th expansion. The final expansion in the "original vision" for Dominion from Donald X. Introduces coin tokens and special effects from overpaying for cards. A small-size expansion. Not sold separately in English any longer; only available bundled with Cornucopia (see FAQ).
BGG Page Secret History

Adventures, the 9th expansion. Brings back the popular concept of Duration cards from Seaside, as well as introducing cards that get set aside and called back into play later. Also the debut of Events. These are landscape-oriented, and provide an effect when bought, but do not enter your deck like normal cards.
BGG Page Secret History

Empires, the 10th expansion. A couple more Duration cards, more Events, and also introduces Landmarks. These are siblings to Events; landscape oriented, never enter your deck. Most of these provide new ways to score victory points or change the overall scoring conditions. Also has some cards that you buy now and pay for later via Debt tokens, and split piles that have two different types of cards in them.
BGG Page Secret History

Nocturne, the 11th expansion. This one was just announced on August 3rd, 2017; so details are a bit sparse as of yet, but here's it's blurb from BGG: "It has 500 cards, with 33 new Kingdom cards. There are Night cards, which are played after the Buy phase; Heirlooms that replace starting Coppers; Fate and Doom cards that give out Boons and Hexes; and a variety of extra cards that other cards can provide."
BGG Page Secret History

Renaissance, the 12th expansion. Announced August 4th, 2018. "This is the 12th expansion to Dominion. It has 300 cards, with 25 new Kingdom cards. There are tokens that let you save coins and actions for later, Projects that grant abilities, and Artifacts to fight over."
BGG Page Secret History

Menagerie, the 13th expansion. Announced January 8th, 2020. "This is the 13th expansion to Dominion. It has 400 cards, with 30 new Kingdom cards. There are Horses that save a draw for later, Exile mats that cards can be sent to and rescued from, and Ways that give Actions another option. Events return."
BGG Page Secret History

Allies, the 14th expansion. It has 400 cards, with 31 new Kingdom card piles. There are Allies that will do Favors for you, and split piles you can rotate.
BGG Page Secret History

Plunder, the 15th expansion. It has 500 cards, with 40 new Kingdom cards. It has lots of Treasures and Durations, with cards that give you Loot, and Traits that modify piles. Events return.
BGG Page Secret History

Base Cards, not a regular expansion. This box contains a new set of all the "base" dominion cards (the basic money and victory cards that will be present in every game, plus Potions from Alchemy and Platinum and Colony from Prosperity). At the time of its original release, the Base Cards box was the only way to get fancy new art on these basic cards, but the aforementioned Second Edition of Dominion made the fancy art the new standard. This is a purely optional 'upgrade' product if you have older sets, or useful for if your basic cards are starting to show wear and tear.

Update Packs, not regular expansions. If you already own the first editions of the base game and Intrigue, these packs will get you the new cards needed to make your sets Second Edition compliant. These are planned to not be in print forever. Update: These are now officially out of print. There are still occasionally some to be found at brick and mortar stores...but they're essentially gone now. 2022 Update: Seaside is getting a Second Edition and associated update pack! 2022 Update 2: Prosperity and Hinterlands as well!
BGG Page Base BGG Page Intrigue BGG Page Seaside BGG Page Prosperity BGG Page Hinterlands Secret History

Promo Cards, not regular expansions. Like many modern board games, Dominion has a handful of Promo cards; these are one-offs (mostly stacks of ten, as per usual) that are not gathered into multi-card expansions. Sauna/Avanto is a 5/5 split pile, Summon is an Event.
Secret History

Blank Cards, not a regular expansion. If you want to make your own custom Dominion cards (either for a fan expansion or to proxy something you don't yet own) you can buy them from BoardGameGeek. Many expansions also include a couple blanks.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Reserved for FAQ and other stuff. Work in progress

FAQ
Q. Do I need to buy all of Dominion to enjoy it?
A. Not at all! The base game alone will last you a dozen or more plays, all by itself! Buy more expansions only if and when you feel like you need more new cards in your life.

Q. What order should I buy these myriad expansions in?
A. It is generally accepted to be best to pick up expansions in the order in which they were released. Expansions tend to introduce more complexity as they go along. Intrigue will make sense to a group that only has a few plays in the core game, Adventures or Empires not so much. The one possible exception to this rule would be Alchemy. Alchemy is seen as the black sheep of the Dominion family, and is widely considered to be the least popular expansion. It can be a lot of fun, and it isn't objectively bad, but unless you know for sure that you want to introduce Potions and the like to your games; save it for last.

If you'd like the designer's take on this question, Donald gives his shockingly comprehensive answer right over here, up to and including "I like X expansion in particular, what's best after that one?"

Q. I can't find Cornucopia or Guilds at my FLGS, what gives?
A. Those two small-size expansions are no longer sold individually, and instead come in a large-expansion-sized combo box:

BGG Page

Q. How do I track down all these Promo cards?
A. Most promos are readily available at the BoardGameGeek store. Ebay is also your friend.

Q. Do I need to track down all those Promo cards?
A. For completion's sake, yes...but otherwise just pick them up as the mood strikes you. Some promos do weird and interesting things (Black Market lets you buy cards that aren't in your current game's supply, Stash has a unique cardback and is placed into your deck wherever you want it every time you shuffle, etc), others are just regular cards that were set aside for promos because a magazine, convention, etc wanted one. Donald X. himself is lukewarm on the whole concept of Promos, holding the opinion that if a card is good enough to be in Dominion at all, it should be included in a normal retail set for people to just buy.

Q. What's the deal with those "Secret History" links that are so helpfully listed in the OP?
A. Donald X. has extensively discussed the history of Dominion, its development, the theming behind expansions, and detailed design notes on every single card. These are referred to as the Secret Histories.

Q. What's with this whole Second Edition thing?
A. After the mid-2016 release of Empires, Donald X. decided to revisit the base game and the first expansion and make some modifications. 6 cards from each set were removed (weaker cards, less popular cards) and 7 new and improved ones were added. The base cards in the core game are now themed after the fancy art versions from the Base Cards product. Intrigue used to be a "standalone" expansion (it included the base treasure and victory cards needed to play the game), the Second Edition of Intrigue is no longer standalone. Besides the removed and replaced cards, some general layout and formatting changes were introduced. Things like +1 Action or +2 Cards are now printed in bold, cards with not much text are now printed in a larger font, the pronouns on cards are now "they" rather than "he", etc.

Q. Should I hold out for Second Editions of other expansions besides Intrigue?
A. No. Donald X. has stated that there are no plans for Second Edition treatments for any of the other released expansions. Future printings of Seaside and beyond will include the minor formatting changes detailed above (bolding, larger type, 'they' pronouns, etc) but no cards will be removed or replaced. The first printing of Empires already has these changes. On a purely pedantic note, reprints of Alchemy and Prosperity will have the fancy art cards for Potion, Platinum, and Colony.

2022 Update: Seaside is getting a Second Edition rerelease as well--9 new cards being added, the official announcement does not mention for sure how cards are being removed. Update pack for Seaside Confirmed, but just like Base and Intrigue, cards with minor errata updates will not be in the update pack, only the brand new cards.

2022 Update 2: Prosperity and Hinterlands are also getting the 2nd Ed. treatment. 9 cards out, 9 cards in, update packs confirmed, again with no minor errata included, just the new cards

Q. So just where am I supposed to put all these cards?
A. The worst part of owning all of Dominion is figuring out your own answer to this question. The inserts that come in each game box aren't bad...but have zero support for sleeved cards, and keep your entire collection divided between 10-12 different boxes. My current method is an organizer from The Broken Token (2022 Update: direct link removed. Google if you want, but I will not funnel traffic to the sex pest that's still CEO) (They also sell just the wooden insert, if you have your own artist case from Hobby Lobby), combined with plastic dividers from Spielgeek (Do ignore the amateur-hour look of his website, I have trusted this random internet man with my money 4 different times and haven't been disappointed or robbed yet). The finished product looks like this:

Note that if you sleeve your cards, like I do, you won't have room for all the tokens and mats and everything in the same box as all your Kingdom cards.

Q. Referring to all these rulebooks is unwieldy...is there a better reference for that?
A. Check out the Complete Dominion Companion. Its a fan-made document, but has the blessing of DXV and RGG. Has rules text for every card, non-card object, and token in the game; including Donald's Secret Histories.

Dominion Online
https://dominion.games/ is the home of the current official implementation of online Dominion. It's very much a work in progress. While gameplay is functional, the art design is rather bare, no music or sound effects, etc.

Online FAQ posted:

Offline Chris is me
Dominion Online Unofficial FAQ
Dominion Online 2017 Unofficial FAQ / Guide

My intention is to keep this updated and to expand it to include other common questions. Please reply if you think something should be changed or added.

---

Starting January 1, 2017, the license for Dominion Online transferred to a new company, Shuffle IT. Run by two expert Dominion players, the new client has lots of exciting new features and potential for growth in the future. Already there are some subtle changes to make the playing experience smoother and better. However, not everything is complete yet, and it isn't always clear how to do things on the new system before you are used to it. This guide aims to help answer common questions, help you get started on the new client, etc.

Note that I'm just a play-tester for the new client; I'm not affiliated or employed by Shuffle IT by any way and nothing in this guide should be taken as an absolute promise or the official last word on anything. I'm just trying to help!

---

Getting Started / Transferring Accounts

Where do I find the new Dominion client?
http://www.dominion.games is the URL for the new client. It's easy to remember - when you want to play games of Dominion, go to dominion.games!

Why don't my Making Fun login credentials work anymore?
You cannot simply log in to the new Dominion with your old account credentials. You need to transfer over your account and purchases from the old software. See the next question for more details.

How do I transfer my old account and purchases to the new Dominion?
First you need access to the email your account is registered under. You should have an email from noreply@shuffleit.nl titled "Dominion Online - Welcome to 2017". Please check your Spam folder as many people have reported that the email is located there. If you still cannot locate it, contact Stef or Phillip for support.

The email has a few links in it, but in order to register your old account with your old purchases, you need to click the link labelled "this link". This will allow you to register using your old, reserved username from Making Fun, transferring your purchases with you. You will have access to all of the expansions you had bought from Making Fun or Goko. If you paid for the subscription option from MF instead, your subscription does not continue. However, a new subscription costs less per month on dominion.games than the old subscription cost.

Also note: You do not need to use the same username to transfer your purchases if you do not want to.

What if I did not have an old account, or I do not want to transfer any purchases?
Simply use the "Sign Up" link on the dominion.games page, and respond to the auto-generated registration email to confirm your email address, and you're good to go. Without paying for anything, you will have access to the Base Set of Dominion cards (including the new Second Edition base set cards). You can buy subscriptions to more sets if you would like, for any period of time you want.

Where is the mobile / offline version?
They're working on it. For now, the game is somewhat playable on mobile browsers, especially larger screens and tablets. Eventually, standalone apps will be released, just like the good ol' days.

The offline version is also not out yet. If you intended to claim the "free Dominion Offline forever" option with your Making Fun purchase credits, you will not lose this option by playing online before Dominion Offline is ready. Once Dominion Offline is out, you will have the option to transfer your Making Fun credit in order to get the offline version for free (though you will not retain the free online subscription if you do this).

Where are Campaigns?
These are also in the works. Give them some time. For now, you can check the Dominion Strategy Wiki to see some recommended sets you can play against bots, and maybe even the old campaign levels?

Purchasing Sets

Why does the store show me expansions for sale? I thought I had everything?
This depends on how you purchased the sets. If you purchased the sets outright, you will have access to them online for a year, and you will have the option to exchange that online access for permanent offline access once the offline client is available. If you purchased the subscription option from Making Fun (available starting July 2016, until the end of the year), your subscription does not continue. However, the rate that dominion.games charges is cheaper per-expansion than the rate MF charged, so that is a plus.

No matter how many sets you bought, you do not have access to the Empires expansion, as it was never for sale on Making Fun and thus nobody owned it. It costs approximately 6 pounds / euros per year for a user who owned every card on Making Fun to upgrade to Empires by selecting the Gold version. The price is automatically reduced in the store to not include the cost of expansions you have credit for.

If the store lists a cost in the ballpark of 36 pounds / euros per year, and the store says you own no sets, something may have gone wrong. Contact Stef or Phillip for assistance.

How do I buy just the sets I don't have?
Conveniently, the store automatically discounts the cost of any sets you have credit for from the total cost of the subscription. It should cost a little over 6 pounds / euros to subscribe to Gold for a year if you have credit for every expansion except Empires. It should cost roughly 36 pounds / euros for a Gold subscription for a year if you have no sets. If you aren't sure how long you will play Dominion for, feel free to subscribe for any period of time you want, but note a small transaction fee is added to every purchase, so it is most economical to buy time in large batches.

I usually play games with my friends. Do they need to buy subscriptions as well?
They do not need to buy subscriptions to play with you. If you create a table and they join your table, they will get to use all of the cards you have subscribed to during games at that table. So if you have a Gold subscription, your friends can play with you using all cards even if they are not subscribers.

Friends, Tables, and Finding Games

I want to play a 2 player game right now. What do I do?
Go to the Matching tab. Click "Bot Match" if you would like to play a bot (currently not the best AI), click "Bot Match" and you'll instantly start a game. Otherwise, you can click "Quick Match" or "Good Match". "Quick Match" will pair you up with the first available person, and both of your Familiar Cards lists will be respected. "Good Match" will take longer, but will pair you with someone close to your skill level, and their Familiar Cards list will not impact the game. More on Familiar Cards later on.

How does the ranking system work? How do I view my ranking?
The ranking system is based off of Isotropic, which is itself based off of Microsoft's TrueSkill ranking system. Currently there is no way to view your current ranking - more details about this will be coming soon. The ranking is used to help with matchmaking. Starting a new account gives you a fresh ranking (I believe of 0) - using an imported account will start you off with the old ranking for that account.

How do I create a table? Why do this instead of Matching?
Creating a Table allows you control of your game. You can pick the Kingdom Cards present in the game, you can change settings such as who goes first, you can choose the number of players to allow at your table, etc. Creating a table is great for playing with Friends or other specific people - right now since there is no global chat it is hard to notify strangers of your table and to get people to join.

To create a table, click the New Table button, choose the number of players, then hit Create Table. You can change the kingdom while you wait for someone to join, and you can change various game settings once someone has joined the table.

Note that if you hit "Ready" at an empty table, it will start the match with bots filling any other required spaces.

What is the point of the Friends feature? How do I play games with my friends?
The Friends feature makes it very easy to find each other when creating custom games. If you add somebody, you are "Following" the user. If they add you, they are "Following You". If you both add each other, you're "Friends"! Yay! Now it is easy to find your friends if they have made a game.

To play a game with your friend(s), one of you should click "New Table" and set a table up with whatever settings you desire. The other player can go to the "Matching" tab in order to see a list of tables currently set up by their friends. That player can then join the table and you're off. Much easier than scrolling through the full list of tables! In the future, you will be able to invite / challenge friends to games directly.

I want a rematch! What do I do?
At the end of a game, a "Ready" button should be in the bottom left of the screen. Once all players click the Ready button, a new game is started with the same settings you had before (but not the same kingdom, unless you specified a kingdom when creating a table). You can use the Chat to encourage your friends to play again!

How do I play against multiple bots, or with a mix of humans and bots?
Create a table and set the minimum number of players at the table to however many players you want. If you hit "play", any empty seats will be filled with bots. For example, creating a 3 player minimum table and hitting Start before anyone joins will have you play against two bots. Creating a 3 player minimum table, having one person join, and then hitting Start will have you play against the one person and one bot.

The Tables button has LOTS of tables listed! What do I do?
The Tables tab has every active table listed on it at any given time. You can hit "Spectate" to view a game if it is active, or you can hit Play to try and join a table that hasn't started a game yet. The host of the table has complete control of the game (e.g. the kingdom). Eventually you will be able to see exactly what settings they have changed on the table once you join / spectate it but before the game starts.

Gameplay / Interface

How do I read the text of a card?
Right clicking a card, or long-pressing a card on a tablet, will allow you to view a large version of the card with the card text on it. The old "view all kingdom cards" feature from MF is not yet implemented, so you'll have to do this for each card you want to know about.

A card like Artificer, Hamlet, etc. is prompting me with a button to do an optional thing I don't want to. How do I not do the thing?
Just continue your turn! If you have more Action cards in hand, just click them to play them. Otherwise click End Actions to go to your buy phase. If you never click the buttons prompted by the action, the optional ability won't activate, and you can just "play through" the card's effect. This saves a LOT of time instead of clicking "Done Discarding" every time you play one of these cards. It takes some getting used to but it really is better in the long run.

Do I have to confirm every time I want to trash or discard a card?
This can be disabled in the Interface settings if you wish.

How do I see the Trash?
Scroll to the top of the log to view a list of cards in the Trash. This is a temporary location that will change in future releases. We know it's not great.

How do I see Tavern mats, Native Village mats, Island mats, or my opponent's Duration cards in play?
To see these items, click or hover over the username of the player you want to know about. These items will be displayed where the log normally is.

How do I see the state of my Journey token?
This is not currently implemented. A bummer, I know. For now, scroll through the log to figure out the last time you flipped it. If you have not played a card that interacts with the token yet, it starts face-up (so you will get the diminished effect on first play, the strong effect on second play, etc).

How do I trigger a Reaction / Reserve / etc?
If you can't find something, it is probably, currently, in blue text at the bottom of the log. You can click the blue text to do things such as activating Royal Carriage or Duplicate. You may also be able to click the blue text in the floating display in the middle of the screen to do the same thing. Eventually everything will have a way to trigger it without going to the log, but when in doubt, when you can't find something, it's in the log.

I need to name a card for Wishing Well, Mystic, etc. How do I do that?
Click any visible instance of that card to name it.

Currently you cannot name the bottom card of a split pile, any non-visible Knight / Castle, etc. This feature will be implemented soon. Thanks for your patience.

You can't name the Ace of Spades anymore either, lol.

Why are some Base Set / Intrigue cards missing?
When the second edition of Dominion and Intrigue were released this fall, six cards from the Base Set and six cards from Intrigue were removed and replaced with seven new cards in each expansion. The online version now reflects the second edition of these expansions and not the original version. It is possible that the old cards might someday be implemented for custom games or something, but this isn't a high priority feature so I wouldn't expect anything soon. Trust me, the new cards are much, much better to play with than the old ones.

My opponent isn't doing anything. How long do I have to wait?
Currently, after 5 minutes passes, you can force an inactive player to resign. The plan is to modify this timer to make it more strict in the future. If you are playing against an intentional "slow player", waiting several minutes between each click, there isn't a lot you can do at the moment. There will soon be a way to report abusive players so that moderators can deal with them. For now, you can resign the game and report them to Stef or Phillip. Please provide the game number in order for them to look into it.

Can I undo more than one step at once? It's really annoying to prompt my opponent all the time.
Yes! Type /undo in the chat, then click the small dot that appears before the step you want to skip backward to. Your opponent will only be asked once and then you'll be back to where you want to be. If you know the exact number of steps to undo (I don't usually, tbh), you can type /undo N where N is the number of steps Other fun chat commands include /lobby to leave if you are a spectator, /resign if you are too lazy to hit the button to do so, and /bg N (where N is a number 0-8) to change the background.

I see this "Auto-Buy" option in the interface settings. What does it do?
Auto-Buy is a huge time-saver, but it is not always easy to use without trapping yourself, so it is not enabled by default. Basically, if you have Auto-Buy on and you click a card during your Buy phase, you will instantly play enough Treasure to buy that card, and then you will buy / gain that card. This is a great way to save time or to hide the exact amount of money in your hand.

You have to remember, though, that you can only play Treasures in your Buy phase before you buy any cards! So if you use Auto-Buy to buy one card on a turn where you have multiple buys, you will not be able to buy any more cards that cost more than $0! That's a bummer, huh? So if you want to buy more than one card in a turn, do it the old fashioned way - play all the Treasures you need and then buy your cards.

Also, if you auto-buy a debt card, the game will assume you do not want to play any Treasures to help you pay off the debt. This is because there are rare scenarios where you actually want to do this (Possession games) so the client has to be able to let you do that. So never use auto-buy to get a Debt card unless you know what you're doing - play those Treasures first!

Finally, if you use Auto-Buy to get an overpay card, it will assume you don't want to overpay for the card. So don't do that.

Familiar Cards

What are Familiar Cards?
Familiar Cards are a new feature of this Dominion client that is still being worked on. For now, if you go to the Familiar Cards tab in the main menu, you can mark what cards you are familiar with. In certain games (Table games by default, Quick Matches, etc) you will not play with more than a few cards you have not marked as Familiar Cards. The intent here is so that players learning the game will not be overwhelmed with a kingdom full of cards they know nothing about.

Is this why I keep getting Base Only games?
It's possible, yes! One reason you may keep gettting mostly Base Only games because you have not changed the default Familiar Card settings, which assume familiarity only with the Base Set. Right now you have to go to the Familiar Cards menu manually and select the cards you are familiar with. You can select entire expansions at a time so this should only take a few clicks. More features with Familiar Cards are planned, such as prompting users after games to mark cards they just tried out as Familiar, but this is not yet implemeneted. More to look forward to!

I have some other question that isn't answered here! Where should I go?
Maybe give the Shuffle IT Discord channel a try! This is a great place to get a hold of the developers or playtesters who can help you out. https://discord.gg/FnWd3KY

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 29, 2022

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Storage recommendations, go

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://youtu.be/weO-3cWqV0A

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Tran posted:

Storage recommendations, go

If you look at my handy dandy FAQ, I just edited in my own personal storage solution :)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

jivjov posted:

If you look at my handy dandy FAQ, I just edited in my own personal storage solution :)

Does that hold all the xpacs up through Empires?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
http://councilroom.com/player?player=Toshimo

Fite me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

Are they all sleeved as well?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
http://dominion.technowall.net/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Toshimo posted:

Does that hold all the xpacs up through Empires?

Sort of...I have the tokens and mats off in the core game box. Empires + the Second Edition cards took up too much from for it to truly be a one-box-solution any longer...but its still handy

Dr Tran posted:

Are they all sleeved as well?

Yep; Mayday Games penny sleeves. I did a bulk order of something like 90 packs from my secondary FLGS and sleeved EVERYTHING while binge-watching Daredevil. I keep a couple packs of sleeves in my secondary storage box in case any split or rip.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 1, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
:rip: Isotropic

My last game:
code:

--- Toshimo's turn 13 --- 
Toshimo plays a Worker's Village. ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions and +1 buy.
 Toshimo plays a Worker's Village. ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions and +1 buy.
 Toshimo plays a Worker's Village. ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions and +1 buy. Toshimo plays a Worker's Village. ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions and +1 buy.
 Toshimo plays a Warehouse. ... drawing 3 cards and getting +1 action. ... discarding 3 cards. 
Toshimo plays a Vault. ... drawing 2 cards. ... discarding a Remake, a Vault, and 2 Silvers and getting +$4. ... Jedirg3 discards 2 cards. ... drawing 1 card.
 Toshimo plays a Jack of All Trades. ... gaining a Silver. ... discarding the top card of the deck. ... drawing 5 cards.
 Toshimo plays a Worker's Village. ... (Toshimo reshuffles.) ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions and +1 buy. 
Toshimo plays a Warehouse. ... drawing 3 cards and getting +1 action. ... discarding 3 cards. 
Toshimo plays a Jack of All Trades. ... gaining a Silver. ... leaving the top card of the deck where it is. ... (Toshimo reshuffles.) ... drawing 3 cards.
 Toshimo plays a Vault. ... drawing 2 cards. ... discarding a Remake and 4 Silvers and getting +$5. ... Jedirg3 doesn't discard any cards. 
Toshimo plays a Jack of All Trades. ... gaining a Silver. ... leaving the top card of the deck where it is. ... (Toshimo reshuffles.) ... drawing 5 cards.
Toshimo plays 4 Silvers. 
Toshimo buys a Colony. 
Toshimo buys an Upgrade.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone try the new client?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Toshimo posted:

:rip: Isotropic

My last game:
code:

--- Toshimo's turn 13 --- 
 Toshimo plays a Worker's Village. ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions and +1 buy. Toshimo plays a Worker's Village. ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions and +1 buy.
Toshimo plays a Vault. ... drawing 2 cards. ... discarding a Remake, a Vault, and 2 Silvers and getting +$4. ... Jedirg3 discards 2 cards. ... drawing 1 card.
 Toshimo plays a Jack of All Trades. ... gaining a Silver. ... discarding the top card of the deck. ... drawing 5 cards.
 Toshimo plays a Worker's Village. ... (Toshimo reshuffles.) ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions and +1 buy. 
Toshimo plays a Jack of All Trades. ... gaining a Silver. ... leaving the top card of the deck where it is. ... (Toshimo reshuffles.) ... drawing 3 cards.
 Toshimo plays a Vault. ... drawing 2 cards. ... discarding a Remake and 4 Silvers and getting +$5. ... Jedirg3 doesn't discard any cards. 
Toshimo plays a Jack of All Trades. ... gaining a Silver. ... leaving the top card of the deck where it is. ... (Toshimo reshuffles.) ... drawing 5 cards.
Toshimo plays 4 Silvers. 
Toshimo buys a Colony. 
Toshimo buys an Upgrade.

Are you still playing it with the code somehow?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just got my email to sign up for the new online client. It feels pretty rough..but I haven't actually played a game yet

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

jivjov posted:

The final expansion in the "original vision" for Dominion from Donald X.
What's with that? Did the game get diluted later just so they could sell more expansions, or what? Is DXV's original vision good, bad, or some nebulous concept he once mentioned offhand in an interview?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pierzak posted:

What's with that? Did the game get diluted later just so they could sell more expansions, or what? Is DXV's original vision good, bad, or some nebulous concept he once mentioned offhand in an interview?

There's a whole series of "Secret History" articles where DXV talks about his design choices, both for individual expansions/cards and for Dominion as a whole (here's a link to the one about Dominion itself). By the time Guilds came out, DXV had run through all his original ideas. To make a long story short, he came up with a couple hundred card ideas, divided them into various expansion sets and got them made. After that, he said that Dominion expansions would come out less frequently, and basically whenever he had enough good ideas. Hence Adventures and Empires both having pretty big handfuls of new ideas (Events, Landmarks, Tavern mat, travellers, etc)

My specific word choice of "original vision" was more of an in-joke with myself, referring to George Lucas' oft repeated mantras of having an "original vision" for Star Wars

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know if Spielgeek will sell dividers for individual sets on request? $108 is a lot to ask for when I only have 4 sets, and the Canuck-buck is low.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I love digital Dominion so much that I couldn't stop myself from grabbing all the Dominion expansions if I tried to buy the physical cards and spend all my money. So I'll just have to play the online version instead. Has there been any previews/first impressions of the new client yet?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

unpronounceable posted:

Does anyone know if Spielgeek will sell dividers for individual sets on request? $108 is a lot to ask for when I only have 4 sets, and the Canuck-buck is low.

He's always been really responsive to emails; you might just try shooting him one and asking.

Roluth posted:

I love digital Dominion so much that I couldn't stop myself from grabbing all the Dominion expansions if I tried to buy the physical cards and spend all my money. So I'll just have to play the online version instead. Has there been any previews/first impressions of the new client yet?

It's amateur-hour, the program at the moment. It functions, but that's about it. Everything except the card images is just plain text and symbols; none of the mats or tokens have a visual representation, there's no music or sound effects. It works if you want to play some Dominion...but all the bells and whistles are in development.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, and the interface isn't terribly intuitive. The "end actions/end turns" buttons are hidden under the game log, and undo/resign are in a corner. Also I tried to play four or five times before I found a game where everyone was ready, despite wasting several minutes in each one. Oh, and I haven't got a confirmation email either.

Re: dividers, I just made my own from some corrugated plastic and stuck them in the original box. Now I need more space, I'm going to make another for the Alchemy box.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I use this page, a laminator and card stock for my dividers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm a fan of these myself since they're vertical and have each card FAQ on them. I'm cheap and print them on card stock, cut them out manually, and then sleeve them with penny sleeves so they don't get too bent in the box.

New Dominion client seems alright so far, nothing great yet but it looks promising enough, has almost every card through Empires, and plays mostly fine. A bunch of minor issues here and there but I'm sure they'll get sorted out soon enough. Once they do I'll start throwing money at it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I somehow missed the whole 2nd edition thing. I'll be sad to see Feast go; as impractical as it was, Throne Room/Feast will never not be my favorite base game deck. RIP weird dumb card.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I use a completely different storage system: a giant 3-ring binder filled with baseball card pages. Each pocket holds a full stack of kingdom cards, which I ordered alphabetically so it's easy to flip through and find what you want. It's big enough to easily add expansions as I acquire them.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
For us goons in the UK that can't get the same stuff from the US distributors, I got this wooden box for Christmas for my storage solution:

http://www.basicallywooden.co.uk/our-collections/card-game-boxes/#tabContent1_stacks_in_23860_page20

It fits about 5 boxes worth of cards if you sleeve, and probably all of the cards if you don't, but would be very heavy if you filled it with every Dominion card.

How do people feel about the Empires expansion? I love it, especially the Landmarks, but I found a number of the Kingdom cards have made some people's heads spin, particularly Castles, Enchantress and Villa. Also what's the deal with Catapult and Rocks? They seem totally crap to me, I assume I'm missing something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Castles are, in concept, one of my new favorites...but I've only ever got them on the table once, and they were overloooked in favor of other Kingdom cards. I feel Castles are going to be one of those cards that brings out the indirect player interaction that I love so much in the game; especially with 3-4 players, it will be a delicate dance of when to buy and when to pass: because buying could give your opponents access to the better ones before you can come back to your turn.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

jivjov posted:

Castles are, in concept, one of my new favorites...but I've only ever got them on the table once, and they were overloooked in favor of other Kingdom cards. I feel Castles are going to be one of those cards that brings out the indirect player interaction that I love so much in the game; especially with 3-4 players, it will be a delicate dance of when to buy and when to pass: because buying could give your opponents access to the better ones before you can come back to your turn.

Castles are bad because they inversely scale based on player count and are actually super swingy and probably not worth doing in 2-p games a lot.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

I use a completely different storage system: a giant 3-ring binder filled with baseball card pages. Each pocket holds a full stack of kingdom cards, which I ordered alphabetically so it's easy to flip through and find what you want. It's big enough to easily add expansions as I acquire them.

Does one binder hold all of the expansions with room to grow? Seems like you'd need multiple binders.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lorini posted:

Does one binder hold all of the expansions with room to grow? Seems like you'd need multiple binders.

For this guy they all fit in this giant one

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

That looks like the same size as mine, although my collection is still far from complete. And this solution wouldn't work for sleevers.

How heavy is that wooden box when it's full?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Nowhere near as many expansions as I need to fit :(. Thanks though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Awww yeah, Dominion thread.

A strategy I didn't realize until recently comes with Merchant Guild. Stacking +buy (preferably a cantrip of some sort) with it, and buying low value cards, and ideally stacking Merchant Guilds is a very effective way to rack up coin tokens, which are objectively very powerful due to the way that they allow you to pick up slack in turning marginal hands into a Province round. The really interesting part is that once the deck clicks, you can turn single coin tokens into 3 or 4 coin tokens (given the ability to draw and play multiple Merchant Guilds). The DS wiki strategy article gives a specific simulated game, where the Merchant Guild multiplicative strategy starts very slow, and is then having routine monster turns to eek out a victory.

Toshimo posted:

Castles are bad because they inversely scale based on player count and are actually super swingy and probably not worth doing in 2-p games a lot.

Playing the modified Big Money bot in Dominion.NET indicates that's not the case. Each Castle effect is fairly powerful, especially if you have a number of enabling cards on the board. Altogether a set will net you a decent amount of victory points, too. I would probably avoid in a Colony board, but rushing castles with money and enabling cards mixed in seems to be a good strategy overall.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Lorini posted:

I fit all but Adventures (hate that set) in mine, it's getting very full and heavy so I think you want two binders at this point.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
What do people think about the Second Editions? I used to advise people not to pick up Intrigue as their first expansion because it had some real stinkers in it and Saboteur made for the worst games ever, but the second edition makes the expansion seem pretty good overall now. The multi-type VP cards like Harem and Nobles were always a hit and there aren't really any more aggressively bad cards in the set now.

The new Second Edition Base Set cards in particular are all amazing and makes the base game so much better. I am surprised by Diplomat in Intrigue though, they've added all these mostly straightforward cards and then Diplomat just comes across as unnecessarily complicated.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thought exercise: what would be the most complicated kingdom you can make and what would be your strategy for that game?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

H2Omelon posted:

What do people think about the Second Editions? I used to advise people not to pick up Intrigue as their first expansion because it had some real stinkers in it and Saboteur made for the worst games ever, but the second edition makes the expansion seem pretty good overall now. The multi-type VP cards like Harem and Nobles were always a hit and there aren't really any more aggressively bad cards in the set now.

The new Second Edition Base Set cards in particular are all amazing and makes the base game so much better. I am surprised by Diplomat in Intrigue though, they've added all these mostly straightforward cards and then Diplomat just comes across as unnecessarily complicated.

I like the new cards a lot, and even though I like some of the replaced cards, it's a massive positive shift. The new editions seem to have gotten rid of the clunkers that made some boards not much fun.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've done well fitting all my dominion cards in a briefcase. Though as the last couple of expansions came out I've had to remove the randomisers and cardboard mats. I think I'm going to have to switch out for something bigger pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Bottom Liner posted:

The problem with that method is sleeving and unsleeving all the time is a pain in the rear end.