Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

The best way to do it was always a mega-chain of Bridges.

Yeah, that would probably be easiest. The Rebuild chain seems too complicated to pull off, so the cost reducer strategy is probably still the most efficient way to do it.

Out of curiousity for the Rebuild chain,

You would need 5 King's Courts
3 Rebuilds
Whatever treasure and enablers you used to get to that point
A Province in the Discard.

You fire off the Rebuild chain, name Colony as the card it can't target the first time, it hits Province, upgrades it to Colony, name Province going forward, chew through the Colony deck upgrading Colony to Colony.

That's at least eight high dollar buys, plus the drawing power, trashing, and money you'd need to set the deck up in the first place. Honestly the easiest way to enable that combo would be cost reduction and +buy, but at that point, why not just drain the Colony pile for full points?

It would be cool to do, but not very efficient or probable.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sector_corrector posted:

I never got that one, but hitting the Silk Road achievement was a great feeling.

edit: What would be the best way to generate 88 gold and 8 buys in a single turn? Another possibility would be something like a KC chained Rebuild aimed at Provinces where you're recycling the same Colony into another Colony over and over again. That means that you technically possess all of the Colonies, but you likely only finish with a single one in your deck. But, of course, Dark Ages didn't exist in the iso era.

KC/KC/Bridge/Bridge/Bride is the traditional 'nuke every card in a pile' megaturn, but there are a whole range of ways - Horn Of Plenty is another one that's super hard to pulll off but amazingly satisfying when you do.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe I forgot about the KC-Bridge megaturn while writing that. As in actual games, the complexity of Dark Ages cards completely blinded me to the obvious.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's everyone's favorite workhorse card that makes every deck better (aside from Silver)?

I love Ironmonger. It's a cantrip that is nearly guaranteed to do something useful, and is really only hindered by curses.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sector_corrector posted:

What's everyone's favorite workhorse card that makes every deck better (aside from Silver)?

I love Ironmonger. It's a cantrip that is nearly guaranteed to do something useful, and is really only hindered by curses.

Chariot Race

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Chariot Race

Like, the rage quits I get when my opponent has a copper on top and I Race for 5VP and a Platinum are glorious.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Like, the rage quits I get when my opponent has a copper on top and I Race for 5VP and a Platinum are glorious.

Are you interpreting it as +1$ and +1VP per difference in cost?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, it should be either +1VP, +$1 or nothing.

That said, Sea Hag + Chariot Race, hahaha.

sector_corrector posted:

I've been having fun with Harbinger, Vassal, and Sentry lately.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Are you interpreting it as +1$ and +1VP per difference in cost?

Oh I mean unless you play 5 in a row, I somehow glossed over the plus action.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chariot Race is really strong, given the board. It's sort of like a cantrip monument with a bit of risk / luck thrown in.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh I mean unless you play 5 in a row, I somehow glossed over the plus action.

Yeah. You just play a whole mess of them, cause if they have a $0 card on top, it stays there while you just keep pulling ahead.

It's thematically fantastic and a strong as gently caress card.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The advent of this new website was also the time I actually started "try-harding" this game, so let my lack of experience be known before I start spouting bullshit :v: .

Is it me, or does this game actually have a huge first player advantage? Basically any interaction card feels like it's stronger if it's drawn earlier. If you and your opponent both rush Witch, there's a decent chance you will get a curse in his deck one shuffle earlier. If both of you get Militia/Torturer and start gimping each other asap, you get one extra turn with a non-gimped hand, and in a game of engine building, that turn difference will amplify.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. You just play a whole mess of them, cause if they have a $0 card on top, it stays there while you just keep pulling ahead.

It's thematically fantastic and a strong as gently caress card.

Yeah for some reason I have the weirdest blindness for self-synergizing cards like that. I played a game with Herald the other day and my thought process literally went: "jeez there are some good terminals but no villages...oh well I guess I could get Heralds and hope to play one of the terminals with Herald, but that doesn't help if I draw the terminals together... ... ...oh if I hit a Herald with a Herald it generates a free extra action :downs:"

That's the first time I noticed that and we've had Guilds since release.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah for some reason I have the weirdest blindness for self-synergizing cards like that. I played a game with Herald the other day and my thought process literally went: "jeez there are some good terminals but no villages...oh well I guess I could get Heralds and hope to play one of the terminals with Herald, but that doesn't help if I draw the terminals together... ... ...oh if I hit a Herald with a Herald it generates a free extra action :downs:"

That's the first time I noticed that and we've had Guilds since release.

A Herald deck with a good trashing option is loving insane.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I usually pick up on self-synergizing cards. The ones that I never seem to use well are Remodelers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just got my brother Prosperity for Christmas. Remodeling Peddlers is fun.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I should really get Prosperity some day. Ever since I found out Platinum exists it's been my dream to Mine into it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, just realized that on-trash benefits work when you hit a supply pile with a Lurker. You can trash Catacombs to pick up later while gaining free villages that enable them to draw your entire deck.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

sector_corrector posted:

Huh, just realized that on-trash benefits work when you hit a supply pile with a Lurker. You can trash Catacombs to pick up later while gaining free villages that enable them to draw your entire deck.

Sadly, it does not trigger Market Square's effect since that requires the trashed card to be your trashed card. Market Square is just too tempting of a card, and I almost always end up buy it, even when it is a bad idea.

Does anyone else have a card you can't help buying, even when it appears to be a bad idea.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Dancer posted:

The advent of this new website was also the time I actually started "try-harding" this game, so let my lack of experience be known before I start spouting bullshit :v: .

Is it me, or does this game actually have a huge first player advantage? Basically any interaction card feels like it's stronger if it's drawn earlier. If you and your opponent both rush Witch, there's a decent chance you will get a curse in his deck one shuffle earlier. If both of you get Militia/Torturer and start gimping each other asap, you get one extra turn with a non-gimped hand, and in a game of engine building, that turn difference will amplify.

It's not always a huge difference, but in a game where both players go Militia/Silver, and player 1 draws Militia-Silver-Copper-Copper-Estate, player 2 is turbofucked if he has something like Silver-Copper-Copper-Copper-Estate. Player 1 gets a Gold, player 2 gets a 4-cost card and has no chance of picking up a Gold until the next reshuffle.

So, it's probably better that player 2 attempt an alternate strategy that doesn't rely on being the first to play a Militia.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I've never been super great with Remodeler's, there's definitely a flow there and timing issues around when to remodel into Provinces.

What I am better at (at least in my group) is finding reckless and extreme ways to trash away my starting stuff. Whenever there's a new strategy or combo for doing that in a new expansions or just kingdom or whatever, I am always the fastest and most severe with it. This doesn't always work out but I've won some games pretty solidly when it goes particularly well.

Dancer posted:

I should really get Prosperity some day. Ever since I found out Platinum exists it's been my dream to Mine into it.

Prosperity was the first real "game changer" set up until the newer stuff like Adventures and Empires. Not that Seaside and Hinterlands (my favorite set before Empires arguably surpassed it) or others didn't have a lot of cool and experimental cards, but Prosperity had Platinum and Colonies, VP tokens, a ton of alt-treasure, and the biggest ratio of non-attack interaction cards by far. That's just a ton of new ways to score and interact with the game in really cool ways. It was really a preview of things to come.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Yeah. Trashing Fortress with Lurker puts it immediately into your hand, and trashing Cultist is like playing two labs in a row.

Cultist still the most overpowered card even when putting it straight in the trash instead of into your deck.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I really hope/wish more on-trash effects show/ed up in new expansions like he started doing with durations and on-gain. What I especially like is that they are like their own mini-reactions with opponent trash attacks/interactions. Like reactions don't actually add more player interaction they just make it more interesting, and on-trash adds an extra layer to that when an opponent hits Fortress with a Swindler or whatever.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lurker also has a cool effect of letting you grab the more powerful Debt and Potion actions without taking on any of the penalties of those cards.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Lurker also has a cool effect of letting you grab the more powerful Debt and Potion actions without taking on any of the penalties of those cards.

zoinks, hadn't even thought of that

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I skipped Chapel today to open with Ambassador instead, not sure it was right. I did win the game but opponent was able to get ahead of the junk-slinging eventually, perhaps it slowed him down enough. Kingdom something like:

Chapel Pawn
Ambassador Masquerade Menagerie Village(B)
Conspirator YoungWitch Island
Laboratory
Nobles

Not 100% sure but I think that was it. Is there any way to get a log from a played game on the new client?

So Pawn for +buy and set up a conspirator chain with some Menagerie/Laboratory. Island some provinces, Nobles for extra points/flexibility, etc. After Ambassador cleaned me up I picked up the curse on a spare buy and started sending those, eventually he drew the deck anyway and trashed most of them.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

rchandra posted:

I skipped Chapel today to open with Ambassador instead, not sure it was right. I did win the game but opponent was able to get ahead of the junk-slinging eventually, perhaps it slowed him down enough. Kingdom something like:

Chapel Pawn
Ambassador Masquerade Menagerie Village(B)
Conspirator YoungWitch Island
Laboratory
Nobles

Not 100% sure but I think that was it. Is there any way to get a log from a played game on the new client?

So Pawn for +buy and set up a conspirator chain with some Menagerie/Laboratory. Island some provinces, Nobles for extra points/flexibility, etc. After Ambassador cleaned me up I picked up the curse on a spare buy and started sending those, eventually he drew the deck anyway and trashed most of them.

I don't know if it's the best strategy, but I always tend to go for junking attacks when Chapel is on the board. Chapel is terminal, and only trashes (although it does that very well), so they still have to waste extra time slimming their deck while not really getting any other benefit. That's time that you can spend building your own deck. Often what happens is that both players take the obvious attack, and Chapel, and it makes the game into more of a toss-up.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Does anyone else have a card you can't help buying, even when it appears to be a bad idea.

Treasure Map :(

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Guy A. Person posted:

Prosperity was the first real "game changer" set up until the newer stuff like Adventures and Empires. Not that Seaside and Hinterlands (my favorite set before Empires arguably surpassed it) or others didn't have a lot of cool and experimental cards, but Prosperity had Platinum and Colonies, VP tokens, a ton of alt-treasure, and the biggest ratio of non-attack interaction cards by far. That's just a ton of new ways to score and interact with the game in really cool ways. It was really a preview of things to come.

I feel like you don't always want to play with Platinum and Colony though, as they tend to make basically every alt victory option useless, also the first player that gets a platinum is a much bigger lead then the first player who gets a gold, which can make games snowball way to quickly in that players favor depending on the board(if you have a board that affords you a small deck or one of the cards that allows you to put that first platinum on the top of your deck almost every turn for example, then yeah).

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Crossroads. I made it work once and not any of the twenty and counting games I tried to thereafter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

golden bubble posted:

I probably have a few, but only one I can think of right now is Bishop. Trashing AND victory points? Yes, please!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

golden bubble posted:

I'd say Black Market, but the more experience with it the more often it actually becomes a good idea. Maybe Duke or Silk Road?

e: oh, Rats. I sometimes resist but very often I give in and things get ruined when the overly-elaborate plan falls apart in a Ratstorm.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 25, 2017

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mega64 posted:

I probably have a few, but only one I can think of right now is Bishop. Trashing AND victory points? Yes, please!

I've never regretted taking Bishop, and in fact I've had a few games where I regretted not taking it. It helps to have a more aggressive trasher, though. Also, Peddler. Never pass up Bishop + Peddler.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

golden bubble posted:

Unless the entire board is terminal, I will be trying to get Conspirator to work.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We've all felt the pain of a busted Conspirator deck, I'm sure. It is a very tempting card... mmm, 4-buy cantripping silver.

Broken Loose posted:

I've never regretted taking Bishop, and in fact I've had a few games where I regretted not taking it. It helps to have a more aggressive trasher, though. Also, Peddler. Never pass up Bishop + Peddler.

Yeah, the only real time that a Bishop might not work is if you're trying to run a junking attack at the same time, since Bishop gives your opponent a trashing opportunity. But even then...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd add Hoard to the list of cards I'll always buy, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

Yeah, the only real time that a Bishop might not work is if you're trying to run a junking attack at the same time, since Bishop gives your opponent a trashing opportunity. But even then...

If you open with Bishop, for a while it will trash for both players equally - just that one of them had to spend $4 on a terminal copper, in exchange for the VPs. Later on making sure that Bishop hits what you want will work better in the engine as compared to the 5 random cards of the opponent, and it will be easier to feed Bishop bigger cards for points which the opponent won't get.

So quite often I don't open with Bishop but pick it up later (using something else to trash down if possible), and if my opponent opens it I just enjoy the free acceleration.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

golden bubble posted:

Since the 2nd editions came out, I can't stop buying Poachers and Sentries.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Questioning whether I did the right play just now.
Boring base game kingdom: Chapel Harbringer Vassal Village Bureaucrat Gardens Lab Library Market Witch.
4/3 opening, I got Chapel Bureaucrat. Immediately post-shuffle I draw both actions + 3 coppers. What do? I decided to play the Bureaucrat and buy Harbringer. Should I have chapelled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dancer posted:

Questioning whether I did the right play just now.
Boring base game kingdom: Chapel Harbringer Vassal Village Bureaucrat Gardens Lab Library Market Witch.
4/3 opening, I got Chapel Bureaucrat. Immediately post-shuffle I draw both actions + 3 coppers. What do? I decided to play the Bureaucrat and buy Harbringer. Should I have chapelled?

Yeah, when Chapel collides with your other buy (even a Silver) usually you trash the other three cards anyway and I don't see a reason otherwise here. Here I might have opened Chapel-Harbinger and pick up a quick Silver or Bureaucrat. Opening Bureaucrat/Silver going for Markets / Gardens could be fun but looks much worse than the engine.