Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This year...I resolve to finish some drat video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
My last game beaten in 2016 was Dragon Age: Inquisition, which I played a bunch of at launch then put down for a long time after it became tedious. Overall, I thought it was really good but the ending was a huge disappointment! You spend basically the whole game building up your army and gaining influence with other factions so that, when the time comes, you can defeat Corypheus, who, by the way, is immortal, and we don't know how to kill him. Fine, that's a great set up! Pretty much the same as the first Dragon Age, only on a bigger scale. So naturally I assume that the ending is going to be similar - a large scale battle where all the different factions I recruited are participating, or I can call them in when I need them followed by a fight against the Big Bad. I really loved the ending of DA:O, BTW.

Instead of that, the last bit of the game is spent finding out that Corypheus is only immortal as long as his dragon is alive so we have to kill that first. Once we know that, the game goes "how are we going to find him? He's been so sneaky and we have no idea where he is and we're running out of time! Oh there he is." And then we fight him with four characters and the huge army I've spent dozens of hours building up are not involved in any way. The dragon I recruited to beat his dragon gets killed almost immediately and I have to fight the dragon anyway, which, incidentally, I would have had to do even if I didn't know it was the key to his immortality because he's stupid enough to send his Immortal button off to fight someone who has murdered about ten dragons already up to that point. It was very disappointing.

Then I played trough Tresspasser, which was much more satisfying but also had its own issues. Eh, whatever, I'm glad I finished it but the end really left a sour taste.

I started Steamworld Dig this morning which seems cool so far. I had no idea what to expect and only bought it because it was like $1.50 but it's been a pleasant surprise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

What about kingdom hearts indicated it will be good, the first was fun but not great and I don't think I've really heard anything great about the rest of them aside from making fun of the retarded naming conventions

Almost all the Kingdom Hearts games are passable-to-great action RPGs with insanely ridiculous stories. This one is a HD port of an older game + a Ground Zeroes type thing for KH3 so it's a fairly known quantity.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
A friend said "hey RaidersSphere4th is ace combat for the PC and winter sale has it on for five bucks"

I haven't gotten time to play it yet but it's apparently p good :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Captain Invictus posted:

What about kingdom hearts indicated it will be good, the first was fun but not great and I don't think I've really heard anything great about the rest of them aside from making fun of the retarded naming conventions

I though the first one was great. The second one was really good too although I wasn't a fan of how there were way more Org 13 stuff than Disney stuff it felt like. And the problem the worlds seeming empty was a big problem with Agrabah again and the Pridelands.

I can't speak for any of the others since I never played them. But the first two had really fun gameplay on top of appealing to my love of Disney. I loved going to the 100 Acre Woods even if there was nothing to fight

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I loved 100 Acre Woods because it was just a chill world. Just enjoying hanging out with my Winnie the Pooh.

My realistic resolution for this year?

Draw more. At least maybe one drawing per week.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

So, this has been a pretty nice winter break for gaming for me. I'll start with the worst, though.

My good friend really recommends Witcher 3 (and the series as a whole). I own Witcher 1 (got it for a dollar or so) and Witcher 2 (free through Xbox) and I wanted to play them leading up to W3. W1 is a horrible slog and W2 I had to turn on easy difficulty because the fights were so dumb. I was hoping that would speed up finishing the game but now I'm in chapter 3 and I still don't feel closer to accomplishing anything story-wise. I'm basically running errands for every lovely baron, king, whatever, and I don't know why the character gives a poo poo at all. Does Witcher 3 get any better (given that I don't like this)?

Games I've enjoyed this break:
Overwatch - I accidentally bought this during a free trial weekend around black friday. I didn't like TF2, which I hear this game is very similar to, but I am enjoying this a lot even though I'm garbage at it. I do feel that I've turned the corner recently, though, and kick rear end every once in a while.
Final Fantasy 15 - I mulled over buying this for a few weeks, but some of the combat footage I watched on Twitch convinced me to get it (mainly the warp strike mechanic). I got tired of doing boring sidequests (my dad just died and I'm going to collect some green beans for some random dude? really?). The game was rewarding enough (although I actually didn't care for the open-world sections) and was really more anime than I care for but I knew what I was getting into.
Dishonored Definitive Edition - This seems pretty well polished and I like messing around in the game world. I'm enjoying the trippy visuals in some sections and the goofy powers in other sections. I can't shake the feeling, though, that this is like Bioshock had a baby with Thief.
Pokemon Sun/Moon - Solid iteration of a classic game with some cool new pokeymans. I lucked out in that I chose to do a ghost pokemon runthrough and they dropped Ghastly and (one of my fav pokes) Drifloon right at the start. Also working into my playthrough: some tree/ghost pokeman that has a similarly dark description to Drifloon in that it murders people or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you dislike running errends for people W3 may not be for you. That is literally Geralt's job. He is the medieval equivalent of a pest exterminator. The quests in W3 are largely well written but most of them boil down to killing monsters for pay.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

If you dislike running errends for people W3 may not be for you. That is literally Geralt's job. He is the medieval equivalent of a pest exterminator. The quests in W3 are largely well written but most of them boil down to killing monsters for pay.

Id say more of the sidequests are about finding monsters. Whether theyre actually monsters and whether or not you kill them is not a constant.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Shindragon posted:

My realistic resolution for this year?

Draw more. At least maybe one drawing per week.

Same, but also play guitar more.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
At the end of Witcher 1, Geralt happens to be in exactly the right place and time to cut down an assassin gunning for King Foltest, which lands him a pretty cushy position as the king's witcher. Foltest is assassinated shortly after the start of Witcher 2 under circumstances that cast an enormous amount of suspicion on Geralt. Most of what you do in the main quest is about hunting down the true assassin to clear your name/for revenge, depending on how much you liked Foltest or how much exception you took to being framed. Side jobs mostly involve solving monster issues, which Geralt does because he needs the coin

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Almost all the Kingdom Hearts games are passable-to-great action RPGs with insanely ridiculous stories. This one is a HD port of an older game + a Ground Zeroes type thing for KH3 so it's a fairly known quantity.

Cool, who gets raped and detonated?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played about a half hour of Darkest Dungeon, GotY for me so far

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat sniper elite v2

Amazing. Best linear stealth shooting gallery gore fest ever.

Cant wait to shoot hitlers balls in the new game, sniper elite 4, in feb.

Giant hitman style levels with multiple objectives and coop is just what these awesome ballistics and mechanics need.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

How's the PS4 version of Kerbal Space Program? givin it some thought since it's on sale.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I though the first one was great. The second one was really good too although I wasn't a fan of how there were way more Org 13 stuff than Disney stuff it felt like. And the problem the worlds seeming empty was a big problem with Agrabah again and the Pridelands.

I can't speak for any of the others since I never played them. But the first two had really fun gameplay on top of appealing to my love of Disney. I loved going to the 100 Acre Woods even if there was nothing to fight

I was trying to explain what I knew of the Kingdom Hearts plot to my gf last night and I kept having to correct myself and remember that Kingdom Hearts 2 is the third game

But yeah the gameplay is generally fun and running around Disney worlds is usually a good time (still not sure why there aren't any SE worlds but oh well). The first game probably has the "best" and most grounded story but the gameplay is pretty clunky, lots of platforming in an engine where platforming doesn't feel great

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheHoosier posted:

How's the PS4 version of Kerbal Space Program? givin it some thought since it's on sale.

People said it was not the way to play that game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheHoosier posted:

Said to be an awful port. The game is also crippled without essential mods, it doesn't even belong on consoles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Cool, who gets raped and detonated?

Donald Duck.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Goof has come to

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Real hurthling! posted:

Real hurthling! posted:

fair enough, thank you.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Jay Rust posted:

The DD aesthetic is really good, but it plays so slow, and the rng really loving likes to rub it in your face when you lose.

Would still recommend, 8/10.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's 2017 and anime is still good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

devtesla posted:

It's 2017 and anime is still good

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
A friend showed me this last night, I think most of the thread will appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ha ha, no! He said anime is blood.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's epic that Persona 5 is coming out in the US this year, bc it means Persona 5 can be goty two years running

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's epic that Persona 5 is coming out in the US this year, bc it means Persona 5 can be goty two years running

Maybe they can also do a P4 Golden type port for sony's next handheld that will hopefully exist at some point

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe they can also do a P4 Golden type port for sony's next handheld that will hopefully exist at some point

Sony's next "handheld" is gonna be a $100 Remote Play box that maybe also has an alarm clock app and you know it.

e:

"Meet me at the BBQ next to Penny's."
"You mean at the DQ next to Denny's?"
"No. I mean the BBQ next to Penny's."

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 1, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
All it would have to be is a beefier Vita and I'd be happy but it's not going to happen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bloodychill posted:

All it would have to be is a beefier Vita and I'd be happy but it's not going to happen.

"The lesson of the Vita is that handheld gamers aren't interested in graphics" -Sony Exec Who Made the Memory Card Decision

*Nintendo Switch goes on to be a huge success*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the vita launched at the price of a ps3 plus extras so if they don't know why it failed they should fire some accountants.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

the vita launched at the price of a ps3 plus extras so if they don't know why it failed they should fire some accountants.

Were PS3s down to $250 at that point? Honestly the price could have worked if it weren't for the extras - they at least could have limped to the point where they could do a price drop to $200. It would have been a decent value proposition at $200 if it weren't for the not-really-optional-at-all horseshit memory card cost. I almost bought one several times but stopped when I factored that in.

Sony is very fortunate that Microsoft completely loving blew it in 2013.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got mine in a bundle with an 8GB card and put like 50 psx/psp games on there and only ever bought maybe 5 vita games

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Civ V: Carthago delenda est! :argh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Carthago nihil mali fecit!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jay Rust posted:

If it gets too grindy consider editing the files to enlarge the roster so you can have like 25 or 30 dudes. Just makes the game more fun later without really affecting difficulty.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Odin Sphere remake kicks rear end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wish it was on pc so I could play it!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hope everyone is enjoying their new year so far, 19 days until horror, but at least there are 11 days until games done quick which will make anyone forget their problems for a while!!

http://i.imgur.com/AccFrFQ.gifv

i bought 37 games in the steam sale i hope you enjoy the ones you bought!!

• Locked thread