Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Probably. This year I honestly don't even know who played in it. I saw something on twitter with Red Wings and Maple Leafs but I think that was a different game.

It's a given that one of them is the Hawks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I have a feeling the ratings for the Winter Classic are going to be really bad, based on the fact that I knew it was on but I chose to go grocery shopping and bike-riding instead.

What used to be appointment viewing had a two page GDT this year. It's going to be bad.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

90% of final week NFL games are almost unwatchable but I bet a lot of people do anyways.

Not that they ever will turn down stadium money but NHL should make the classic their own version of a college bowl game and have it in the same spot each year where you know it will be cold and scenic looking. Make the two cup teams from last year play each other or something. Don't worry about having an actual attendance of more than a couple thousand (again, like most CFB bowls) but worry more about making it look nice on TV. Turn off all the goal horns and PA and poo poo and let the viewers listen to dudes yelling on the ice.

Again they will never do that but it would be cool imo

they have the hockeyville preseason games which are kind of neat in theory but also canada only.

if we're throwing our suggestions out here maybe give arizona their all star game they got screwed out of and also maybe an outdoor game

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

What used to be appointment viewing had a two page GDT this year. It's going to be bad.

That probably also has to do with the SA forums dying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Probably. This year I honestly don't even know who played in it. I saw something on twitter with Red Wings and Maple Leafs but I think that was a different game.

I saw literally zero promotion for the Winter Classic this year. Literally literally.

Granted that 90% of the games I see are on NESN, but the Bruins had a few NBC Sports and NHL Network games this year too and no mention that I recall there. Someone said NBC has been promoting it, but I don't think there are any NBC shows I watch this season.

I check NHL.com a few times a week too and while I'm sure there were sidebar ads I guess I never noticed any.

None of this is much different than previous years so maybe they did less promotion this year?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I was just thinking that the WC should be a neutral site game in a place where it's guaranteed to be cold. Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, whatever the Indians and White Sox are calling their stadiums these days, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I was just thinking that the WC should be a neutral site game in a place where it's guaranteed to be cold. Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, whatever the Indians and White Sox are calling their stadiums these days, etc.

The problem with that is the reason the WC happens is because stadiums and teams want the ticket sales. If it happened every year in Toronto league support would dry up in an instant.

Though in general I agree. They should make it a huge one day event somewhere, fill a football stadium with three rinks, and have 3 games going on all at once. That's closer to "real" hockey than the current format because that's how most kids grow up playing.. weekend tournaments with a billion games going on at once.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Just replace the WC with a game of Bandy I would watch that

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The NHL only thinks small and short term these days. They aren't going to care until the gate dries up or 2021 when the NBC deal runs out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They should do it every other year instead of every year and switch up the teams that are in it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'd like to see cooler venues. Forgive me if generic football and baseball stadiums don't excite me. Hold the game in Central Park, the National Mall, on an aircraft carrier, etc.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

on an aircraft carrier

I agree in principle, but please no more bullshit military stuff.

Also this is a cash grab for the owners. They hold it in football stadiums because they can sell 70,000 tickets. There's no way in hell they'd ever downgrade the size of the venue even if would have a greater marketing appeal.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

This'll never fly in Bettman's NHL but they need to only hold it places it's actually likely to snow. Winter classic in 55 degree weather on a rainy day is super uninteresting. They captured lightning in a bottle with the Pens/Sabres game in 07 where golden boy Sid scored the game winner in a blizzard and they've been chasing that dragon ever since.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Also this is a cash grab for the owners. They hold it in football stadiums because they can sell 70,000 tickets. There's no way in hell they'd ever downgrade the size of the venue even if would have a greater marketing appeal.

ding ding ding ding

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Build a neutral NHL stadium to host it in each year, so that the designated home team can get all the ticket sales.

All you need to do is convince a few billionaires to build a stadium. Easy!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

All you need to do is convince a few billionaires to build a stadium. Easy!

You mean convince a few billionaires to pester local governments for subsidies and tax breaks so that the middle classes can pay for a new stadium to be built. And then pay to get access to it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Tell Quebec City to take the roof off their new arena then have the game in Las Vegas anyways

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Las Vegas would probably build their rink out of dry ice and actually put on a good game, they have a habit of spending insane amounts of money to build things in places that make no sense being there.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
So they're like a western Dubai.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I know and I realize these things will probably sell out for the foreseeable future which is probably all the owners care about.

I'm just wondering if the NHL has any plans or ideas to make the NHL appeal to a broader national audience rather than fans only caring about their local teams. Maybe I am misremembering but I cared a lot more about random teams (Avalanche, Panthers, Red Wings, Blues, Sabres, etc.) when I was a kid in the 1990s than I do now, even though I'd consider myself a bigger Capitals fan now than in the day.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 3, 2017

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

xzzy posted:

The problem with that is the reason the WC happens is because stadiums and teams want the ticket sales. If it happened every year in Toronto league support would dry up in an instant.

Though in general I agree. They should make it a huge one day event somewhere, fill a football stadium with three rinks, and have 3 games going on all at once. That's closer to "real" hockey than the current format because that's how most kids grow up playing.. weekend tournaments with a billion games going on at once.

Alternately, have 3 games staggered so that an intermission in one game means a period for another game. Then swap. Upside, you only need 2 rinks, you don't have to pick which game to watch, longer viewing time? Iunno. Also add multipuck because gently caress it.

Mind_Taker posted:

That probably also has to do with the SA forums dying.

:smith:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

i think this was grossmann's first goal in several years, to boot

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I know and I realize these things will probably sell out for the foreseeable future which is probably all the owners care about.

I'm just wondering if the NHL has any plans or ideas to make the NHL appeal to a broader national audience rather than fans only caring about their local teams. Maybe I am misremembering but I cared a lot more about random teams (Avalanche, Florida Panthers, Red Wings, Blues, etc.) when I was a kid in the 1990s than I do now, even though I'd consider myself a bigger Capitals fan now than in the day.

I feel like at least part of that was because there was no cap. Everybody liked to watch the Avs and Wings because they were powerhouse teams. It's hard for any team now to maintain such a consistent level of dominance.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Las Vegas would probably build their rink out of dry ice and actually put on a good game, they have a habit of spending insane amounts of money to build things in places that make no sense being there.

Rangers/Kings 1991 nvr4gt :911:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Krime posted:

Crosby really is a grinder!

:eek:

https://twitter.com/slosifl/status/815381356540661760

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Wamsutta posted:

This'll never fly in Bettman's NHL but they need to only hold it places it's actually likely to snow. Winter classic in 55 degree weather on a rainy day is super uninteresting. They captured lightning in a bottle with the Pens/Sabres game in 07 where golden boy Sid scored the game winner in a blizzard and they've been chasing that dragon ever since.

This is true, between this and the novelty that year it felt special and cool. It was also at least kind of interesting to see them do two in NYC near the Super Bowl. That'll be in Minneapolis next year, can we get an outdoor game there the day before the Super Bowl? That'd be cool.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel like at least part of that was because there was no cap. Everybody liked to watch the Avs and Wings because they were powerhouse teams. It's hard for any team now to maintain such a consistent level of dominance.

I dunno, those Avs and Wings teams were powerhouses but we've seen one team win the cup three times since the lockout and two win it twice. I don't feel like they were considerably more dominant than the Hawks or Pens at their best even with the ability to spend wildly.

It's not like the NHL is short of very good teams at the moment, they're just marketed differently. When the Wings, Avs or Leafs came to town they were very much the bad guys and the narrative was always around giant killers. When they went head to head, it was a clash of the titans to see who was the best of the best. You don't see things sold in the same way these days as we're supposed to be so impressed by how well constructed teams are and how good they are at playing a system. Sports are a lot more fun when you have teams like the Patriots, Barcelona, the Yankees and the Lakers to root against. The NHL/NBC could've easily built up the Hawks in the same way, but they opted to laud over them endlessly instead.

The reduction in total ratbag players like Claude Lemieux hasn't helped either. I mean the sport is better for it, but from a narrative sense it's a loss.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm just wondering if the NHL has any plans or ideas to make the NHL appeal to a broader national audience rather than fans only caring about their local teams. Maybe I am misremembering but I cared a lot more about random teams (Avalanche, Panthers, Red Wings, Blues, Sabres, etc.) when I was a kid in the 1990s than I do now, even though I'd consider myself a bigger Capitals fan now than in the day.

I don't know if that's a failure of league marketing or just what kids do. When I was a kid I liked the Bruins, Caps, Avalanche, Coyotes (soley for the jerseys), the Devils, the Flyers, and I think the Sabres too. I think really I was just a fan of specific players on those teams, and I probably only caught a small handful of their games every year. As I got older and could actually comprehend the game better I narrowed it down to one or two teams. Anyway, to bring it back to today, a lot of my little cousins will tell me that they're a fan of 5 or 6 teams regardless of the sport. They like the Wild because it's the home team, they like Chicago because Patrick Kane is on the team, they like Pittsburgh and Washington because of Crosby and Ovechkin, Toronto because of Matthews, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't know if that's a failure of league marketing or just what kids do. When I was a kid I liked the Bruins, Caps, Avalanche, Coyotes (soley for the jerseys), the Devils, the Flyers, and I think the Sabres too. I think really I was just a fan of specific players on those teams, and I probably only caught a small handful of their games every year. As I got older and could actually comprehend the game better I narrowed it down to one or two teams. Anyway, to bring it back to today, a lot of my little cousins will tell me that they're a fan of 5 or 6 teams regardless of the sport. They like the Wild because it's the home team, they like Chicago because Patrick Kane is on the team, they like Pittsburgh and Washington because of Crosby and Ovechkin, Toronto because of Matthews, etc.

Given what the successful leagues in the US have done, I suspect it's a question of presentation. Basketball and hockey seem held back by smaller arenas mandating a busier regular season. Compare to nascar or the nfl where a colossal number of fans can attend and it's a once a week event.

The NFL also wins with a superbowl because they can market a single BIG GAME where the winner is decided. Now I really enjoy the "best of X" format because you get to see better play, but it's a hard sell for TV and tickets because no one can predict when the deciding game will be.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

They captured lightning in a bottle with the Pens/Sabres game in 07 where golden boy Sid scored the game winner in a blizzard and they've been chasing that dragon ever since.

The Detroit/Torotno WC in 2014 was great. Perfect blizzard weather and a pretty good game. Pretty sure they changed the stupid "switch ends halfway through the OT buzzer" rule after Z got hosed on a breakaway too, so that was cool.

May be biased because I was there, but sitting in a stadium of 110,000 with a blizzard pouring down during a hockey game was loving great. Until I had to drive back to Cleveland afterward.

But seriously, it needs to be in cold weather places only. Rainy 55' bullshit is stupid.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

A floating super stadium that can fly to the designated city every year. And have the ice be transparent so players who freak out at 40 000ft can be labelled soff and be mocked accordingly.

The Cup Finals should also be played in the heli-stadium.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
You northern purists are not ruining my dream of a Lighting/Panthers game at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. :argh:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I dunno, those Avs and Wings teams were powerhouses but we've seen one team win the cup three times since the lockout and two win it twice. I don't feel like they were considerably more dominant than the Hawks or Pens at their best even with the ability to spend wildly.

It's not like the NHL is short of very good teams at the moment, they're just marketed differently. When the Wings, Avs or Leafs came to town they were very much the bad guys and the narrative was always around giant killers. When they went head to head, it was a clash of the titans to see who was the best of the best. You don't see things sold in the same way these days as we're supposed to be so impressed by how well constructed teams are and how good they are at playing a system. Sports are a lot more fun when you have teams like the Patriots, Barcelona, the Yankees and the Lakers to root against. The NHL/NBC could've easily built up the Hawks in the same way, but they opted to laud over them endlessly instead.

The reduction in total ratbag players like Claude Lemieux hasn't helped either. I mean the sport is better for it, but from a narrative sense it's a loss.

That's a good point. There's more turnover due to the cap too though. A guy like Andrew Shaw would be a huge villain in the 90's but now due to the cap the Hawks had to lose him.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Mind_Taker posted:

I'd like to see cooler venues. Forgive me if generic football and baseball stadiums don't excite me. Hold the game in Central Park, the National Mall, on an aircraft carrier, etc.

go to europe and hold the drat thing in an actual coliseum

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they played outside in a parking lot in vegas and ran the numbers and that was enough for the nontraditional market for 30 years

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can Pink Floyd do the intermission music? It'll only take 24 minutes to get through the song.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Wamsutta posted:

The reason the first one was so great was because Bettman had nothing to do with it. Buffalo had to convince him to let it happen because he didn't think it was a viable idea.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fits posted:

go to europe and hold the drat thing in an actual coliseum

gently caress yes

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

But seriously, it needs to be in cold weather places only. Rainy 55' bullshit is stupid.

It's 29 degrees in St. Louis tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mike_V posted:

It's 29 degrees in St. Louis tomorrow.

The problem isn't whether it can get cold enough to have good ice, the problem is whether it happens consistently enough to schedule a giant event around it.

You can't even reliably get ice in Chicago anymore, St. Loius should have been a non-starter.

• Locked thread