Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragomir - Lho-Rhydia

“Docks, sundown. Drago understands, and will return then.”

In other words, that meant he had some time to kill. He could simply return to Warehouse Nine, wait out the hours until the captain was ready to leave. But with all that happened, the lizardman was feeling somewhat restless, reluctant to just sit around and waste daylight. If he was going to have to wait until sundown, Drago figured he might as well do something productive with that time. Finding some information about this library he was searching for, perhaps.

Dragomir is going to spend the time before sundown asking around for any rumors or knowledge about this buried library, and then return to the docks once it starts to get dark.

Inquisitive [+2] - The people of Lho-Rhydia are all too familiar with the lizardman and his persistent questions, and are well aware that simply answering him as best as they are able is the most effective method of getting him to stop.

Naivete [-2] - Of course, that was in normal circumstances, and not in a chaotic environment where people were fearing for their futures. The notion that people might not be so willing to answer questions while panicking over the deaths of their deities was lost on Drago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha - The Ogre Archipelago

"Oi", Sasha stood, shaking her head ever so slightly, hands on her hips, "I suppose it was worth a look, but , none o' these people really seem worth ferryin'. Well, Rokk can come along, since I owe 'im a bit fer doing some work on Ol' Snaggletooth on the cheap. Haha, I told ye it would be worth yer time eventually, didn't I? Otherwise, we'll just be keepin' the new crew"

"But anyway", Sasha snapped her fingers, and yelled. Not out of anger, but just to get her voice heard, "OI DIRK! Go gather the company from whatever boozehole they've managed to find. We sail at sunrise."

For her own part, Sasha ran some final checks on Ol' Snaggletooth, as well as the other boats of her troupe, currently 83 strong. Ogres traditionally traversed on rowing boats, reminiscent of longships, since fabrics for sail were fairly hard to come by in the archipelago. Maybe someday she could afford one of the large wavecutters of the clan heads for a true oceangoing vessel, but alas. For now, these would have to do, and Ol' Snaggletooth had always served her well.


OOC: Sasha goes to Tamora, under the mercenary flag to look for some sort of work that she can do whilst traveling south. Don't know if such a thing needs a roll. But if it does:

Strong [+2] - Ogres are strong, and row well.
Warlord [+2] - Sasha is an ogre military veteran, and knows how to organize and navigate a bunch of their boats on the waters.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Galain
Larburry


It was... pleasing. Not only the obedience of the priesthood, even, no especially the ones that clearly had their own opinions about it, but the reaction from the people. They craved good leadership, and when they found it, they embraced it. It was not a contemptible thing, like one might refer to them as sheeple. It was simply bright folk recognizing what was in the best interest of all of them. And that was letting him steer the country, and focus on their own things.

For now though, there was the dragon question. He had not talked to anyone about this dream. The young count was not one to have very many people in his confidence. Only the Queen-Mother, and even with her, he was always formal in public. He summoned his marshal, Sir Faston, a scarred veteran war of the war with the elves. Somewhat traditional in some respects about chivalry, he and his father had been the best of friends. His loyalty was beyond question to Galain. "Sir Faston. I would have you visit the mining villages with a contingent of your best men. In these days it's good for the people to see their lord has security in mind. Especially the people who mine our iron."

"Sir."

"And one more thing. I've heard rumours about dragon sightings. Go and ask around about any recent stories and old legends while you're there. If you come upon anything you feel could use more overwhelming force, return here. There are turbulent times ahead, and I can ill miss any of my knights."

The marshal looked around. "Dragons? Sir, there's always rumors about dragons somewhere. I..."

"I have no desire to explain myself, sir Faston. Dragons. If some drunk made a claim of having seen them a fortnight ago, I want to know. I know you will do this." He said firmly.

Meticulous +2 Galain is going to start preparations for dragon looking by making sure to scan for rumors about where they might be nearby.[/i]

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company


Casey

"Funny, I thought you gave that up with the rest of us," Casey murmured. Concentrating on the work to take the sting out of Petrus' words, she starts rolling up a gorgeous tapestry, tying it with some hoarded twine. "On the other hand, I suppose since the priesthood we gave up our family names to is, you know, gone and probably dead, yeah, sure, why not take it back..."

She's being a little facetious, of course; very few of the priests and priestesses actually severed ties with their families. The rule was to sacrifice your family name, not your family ties. Still, it was seen as a failing to remain too close with one's family - or had been, back before all the Gods died.

"So you've got big plans, huh?" Yeah, she's not letting that one pass by unnoticed. "Anything fun and interesting? Oh, don't look at me like that, I'm getting ready to go find a boat out of town, it's not like I'll be around to screw things up for you."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Victor

Victor groans inside. The city's finest, taking advantage of a tragedy to shake down the public, especially hardworking businessmen like him. But outside, he's all smiles. He had some false coins that he could maybe slip them, but the powers that be were cracking down on counterfeiting, and besides, giving guards slugs was a good way to make an enemy of the entire guard. So, no, it was his tongue that would get him out of trouble, or so he hoped."But of course. In this time of tragedy, it's time for everyone to help, isn't it? Indeed, indeed, that's just why I'm out and about. I happen to be going out right now to guide an aid shipment towards the city. I'm sure when it comes back in, you'll want to inspect it, make sure there's no contraband. But it won't show up if I'm not out there. The benefactor is very....peculiar about his charity. Of course, if you don't want to let me out, well, I'll just go home, and he'll have to go back with the cart, and, of course, the poor city won't get the supplies."

Charm +2

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Elias

Gathering together what you could assemble for trade goods, and that was made more difficult by the lower funds available. You found that you could not afford to provision as much and pay as many people as you wanted to. People were willing to work with the promise of pay at the end, but it meant that if things went badly you would have to liquidate some of your samples and trade goods to make up the cost.

Once everything and everyone were on the ship you set off. Travelling down the river was not difficult, to be deep enough and wide enough for the barque meant that it was not suffering too badly from felled trees. Your travel for the next two days was quite relaxing. However one the morning of the third day you had a troubling report. On the horizon where the capital of Woldridge stood, Warchen, there was smoke rising up into the sky.

11:13 AM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 13 = 2d6(6,5)+2
I added the penalty from Lean Coffers onto this roll.


Moonrat

Fleeting-Whsiper had a sour expression on his face, but the shortness of his steps and the movements of his tails and whiskers gave away his displeasure with the situation; despite his attempts to hide it. His apprentice was a quiet woman who seemed to look and see a lot, yet rarely spoke. Good traits in an assassin, it seemed likely that Burrows-in-Starlight would be destined for more success and prestige than her teacher. A fact that you suspected was not lost on him.

As you followed the river Fleeting-Whsiper seemed to grow less agitated. He sometimes had private whispered discussions with his apprentice and glanced at the other three guards travelling with you. As you approached the base of the mountains though he spoke. His demeanour gave away a kind of curious excitement, although he was calm when he spoke.

"We have travelled south of Argeveld. Do you plan to visit the elves directly first? Is this why you requested the presence of an assassin?"


Karla

The lizardman looked at you and considered things for an uncomfortable amount of time. His eyes were a dark brown, almost black colour and unlike yours were a single great pool with no whites or iris. They contrasted against his ruddy green skin, which seemed almost weather worn and sun bleached. Although he was of a leaner frame than you and a bit shorter, he seemed no weaker. His wiry muscles were clearly well used.

When you felt like maybe you should speak up again, he spoke once more. "You are far from your tribe, and your markings show you a hunter and warrior. The land has been quiet since the great storms, yet you move like a herd of hornbeats. If you would tell me your story then you may sit at my fire. Let us share our hunts and make peace as brother and sister under the sun and stars."

Even as he invited you to the fire there was a wariness in him, his eyes were alert and tracked you carefully. Something about him promised equal capacity for violence as for friendship.


John

Your luck did betray you eventually, as you went to leave by the western gate and one of the guards spotted you. Somehow though the combination of new travelling clothes and John's natural lack of distinctive features meant that the guard, a man who John had worked with for years, was just a little too far away to pick up on who you were. When he asked where you were travelling, Mist-Tail stepped in and smoothly said you were trying to catch up with friends. Apparently satisfied by this, the guard mentioned that they had already left two bells ahead of you. You would have to hurry to catch up with the 6 ratlins walking ahead.

The tone of voice the man used indicated he clearly suspected you of being thieves or members of one of the families, for it was not so unusual for one or two humans or lizardmen to be seen among a group of ratlings. But beyond this unspoken judgement he did not detain the pair of you any further. When you looked to Mist-Tail he winked.

"I figured it likely that She-That-Devours would be moving already. Leave the west gate, enter the east, the two sets of guards won't check in with each other until you're long gone and hidden. One ratling looks as much as another to the big-folk."

11:13 AM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 12 = 2d6(5,5)+2


Dragomir

Most people dismissed your questions straight away. They had more important issues to deal with than the inane questions of a childish lizardman. You did at one point manage to bother someone who seemed to have a passing interest in history. They mentioned that to the south there was according to legend a larger kingdom in the old times. Supposedly it was before the gods, and it used magic and forbidden arts to spread wide and powerful. It covered the lands of both Wolridge and Redivar, and one of the great cities had laid upon the lake. The city itself had been home to many wonders, but apparently had been razed in a great war between the alliance of dwarves and elves. If there was an element of truth to any of this, then a library could lie hidden.

The man could tell you nothing more and had to return back to his manor. No one else that you spoke to had either any knowledge of such things or any interest in spending time on you. The shadows began to grow long as the sun hung low in the reddening sky.

11:13 AM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 8 = 2d6(5,3)


Sasha

Your journey to Tamora was quiet compared to the last two weeks. It seemed almost as if the world itself was resting after its great fury. Fishing was a little difficult the first few days, but after the third the fish seemed to regain their confidence and things began to spin into a normal journey again.

Except for as you began to approach Tamora. You had not realised at first, but you had accidentally drawn closer to the peninsula than you had intended. Normally the far off sails of the Tamoran navy was a consistent marker that you were growing closer to the peninsula and needed to turn north or south. Now you could begin to see its hills on the horizon, and only a lonely pair of sails in its harbour. Something had happened to its great navy, either they had all travelled away or they had been wrecked by the storms. Wood was not as harder as the blackglass most ogre boats were fashioned from.

11:13 AM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 11 = 2d6(5,6)


Galain

At any other time your marshal would have scoffed at the mention of dragons. But considering the recent events and death of the gods, he was inclined to take your concerns very seriously after you had confirmed your intent to him. Although the marshal was efficient and had skilled and loyal scouts under him, it would take some time to travel to the furthest villages and confirm their stories. At the end of the week however he had collated all of the information given to him and requested an audience with you to discuss it.

"All the scouts have returned sir, and I have reviewed their reports. During this time I spoke with the archivist and cross referenced a couple of documents myself. And well...what I have found is odd." Faston shifted his balance slightly uneasily.

"There were records of six hundred years ago of engagements with several dragons. Apparently three, but they were by all means very difficult to kill. There are records of the killing of two of them, but the third one remained at large. Two centuries later and under the reign of the Grand Duke Hareldin, when Larburry was still part of the old country of Hareldin and before the unification, there were more recorded sightings and engagements. Then there was nothing. Additionally while some villages had reports of villagers claiming to have seen a dragon they were written off as fever dreams. In fact there are no further mentions of a dragon except on outlying settlements, which are all dismissed. Then after roughly another century there are no further mentions of a dragon. I have examined the areas bordered by this and if we assume the dragon is still lairing in the area, there would be an area covered which would feature three towns. Anterre, Tygen and Wainn." He showed you on a map, although of course you knew where they lay. The towns ran along the foothills of the Shadow Mountains that separated Vanadalor from the elves of the Mirewoods, and were all north and northwest of Larburry itself.

"You mentioned there were sightings, yet none of my scouts heard any such tales from the people outside of the city. Is there...some kind of conspiracy afoot, sir?"


11:13 AM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 6 = 2d6(3,3)
You have a curious area where the dragon definitely is not, although nothing more concrete than these three towns.

Casey

"Are you stupid?" Petrus said bluntly, looking at you with scorn and derision. drat he was even pretty even when he did such ugly things. "Clearly playing at a woman has left you without any wits at all. No. With the temples gone, the old order will crumble. There is going to be bloodshed you witch and at the end of it we intend to be in power. Good luck finding a boat, most of them were smashed to pieces in the storms. You'd be lucky to find one let alone one willing to take a witch like yourself."

You were used to Petrus being snide and nasty to you from time to time, but apparently without the priests and watchful eyes of others he could be as ugly as he wanted. But worse than this, was the utter assurance in his voice. It made sense, his family were relatively influential and if there was going to be civil conflict, then they would want to prepare now before the streets began to run with blood.


Victor

The woman narrowed her eyes at you, and decided whether to trust you or not. But it seemed that she was a calculating, if petty, sort of person. Was a couple of coins now worth the risk of a bigger payoff later? Even if there was the chance of a lie, her greed won out.

"Hmm, yes...it would be remiss of us to scare off valuable goods in our time of need. GEORGE, let the man pass. But take a good look at him so we can remember him when he comes back."

Having the lumbering brute eye you beadily was less pleasant than the blackgard lady in the guard uniform. But they let you pass, and you were out of the city and free to continue on to your destination.

11:14 AM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 7 = 2d6(6,1)

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2017 around 02:53

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John - A Day's Travel West of Lustrium

"Great work, Mist-Tail." John says after they've made it past the gate, "Now, let's put some distance between us and those who might be looking for us." It was still fairly early by the time they had made it past the gates, and there was a long day of walking ahead. They made a good pace, stopping briefly at midday to eat briefly before continuing on. John was concerned at first that Mist-Tail might be dissatisfied that John hasn't explained where they were going yet, but he seemed to take the day's travel in stride. Whether that was because he was satisfied to let John take the lead on what and when to reveal, or just wanted to be as far away from Lustrium as soon as possible, John didn't know. However, the ex-guard appreciated it all the same.

As the sun set, the pair set up camp far enough from the main road to avoid detection. There were enough inns that they could've stayed the night, but John figured that at least for the first few days they should avoid inns. Perhaps it was a bit paranoid, but it would be harder to track them without a string of inn-keeps to interview.

A little later the fire was going nicely, and some of the small amount of fresh fish John had been able to get cheaply was cooking on the pan he had purchased, he looked over to Mist-Tail and began to speak, "You've been patient so far, and I appreciate it. Not to mention getting us out of that jam at the gate. I'm definitely glad your along. Though I imagine you're interested to know just what this is about." It was then that John described the interaction with Terminus, though he left out the other options the god had mentioned, telling Mist-Tail only about the dragon, at least for now.

Once he was finished, he handed Mist-Tail the ratling's potion of fish. "Sounds crazy I know, but after weeks of the sky burning and the world tearing itself apart, I'm prepared to believe a lot of crazy things. Not to mention, a chance to really take control of my life, to stop being some nobody being ordered around by everyone, and to actually get some real power of my own." He pauses, "I'm sure if we can find it, this dragon must have something useful for you to. If nothing else, if this pans out you'll go from being a CI to the employee... associate... friend... retainer..." John chuckles and switches to a mock sinister tone "minion..." his tone returns to normal, "of a man with real power. Not to mention, if this pans out I don't plan to forget who stood with me when I was a nobody."

Taking a deep breath, John looks Mist-Tail right in the eye, "So now that you know what I'm really up to, what do you think?"

tl;dr: John's travelling along the westward road for a day, and once they set up camp telling Mist-Tail about Terminus and the dragon (though not the other 3 options), and getting his reaction.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2017 around 03:04

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

A burning city was never a good sight to those who favoured order. A burning capital, doubly so, though if their Wolridge neighbours were in this much disarray it might warrant an occupation for their own safety, and the good of all the peoples touched by the Aub river.

"Proceed as required, Captain. If our path is blocked, we will endeavour to clear it. If we are threatened, I will have the retinue on full display."

Full speed ahead, cap'n!

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Moonrat

"Hardly. I'd sooner tear out my eyes than look upon any elf that isn't already dead." Moonrat perched atop a rock and surveyed the landscape, not even sparing a glance over his shoulder towards his companion. He had to give the bunch this much; they were competent enough. Nobody was lagging behind or talking incessantly. "I asked for you for two reasons. One; you've always been better at knife work than me. I won't begrudge you that distinction. And these are going to be dangerous times. I wanted someone I can count on to get the job done when it's necessary. And two; it's well known how little we regard one another."

Ever since they were children they'd fought over the affections of a young lady. Even after Fleeting-Whisper had won out and married her, neither one of them had been able to entirely let it go. It wasn't about a woman anymore, it was just the principle of the matter.

Moonrat finally deigned to look at the assassin. "That knowledge will be a shield against the queen when we return and she finds out we did not, in fact, do any of what she asked us to do. I've got a tip on a big payday. Possibly the biggest anyone in this world has ever seen. Something that could change everything, for all of us. But I'm running on rumor and hearsay. If I find what I'm looking for, I need you there to back me up. Everybody knows we would disagree on the color of the sky if asked. But this prize I'm after? If it proves true, even you would have to admit I made the right call."

Moonrat hopped off the rock and crossed his arms, addressing the party. "So I want to make a deal with you. All of you. Follow me to the end of this road I'm walking, and find out if it's worth it. If this proves to have been an utter waste of time, I'll submit myself to your blades or the queen's judgement willingly. But if I'm right." He swept a paw through his ruff dramatically. "If I'm right, this could mean the dawn of a new era for our people. The beginning of the end of the elven filth that even now squats in our rightful home. We will have the means to drive them out, slaughter their warriors, slit their women's throats, and leave their children to drown in the blood. What do you say?"

Ruthless [+2] What Moonrat says isn't pretty, but giving voice to such blunt desires will hopefully rally his comrades to his cause.
Handsome [+2] And he certainly cuts a dashing figure, doesn't he?
Arrogant [-2] But it's still the height of hubris to think some fancy words and a vague promise are enough to convince people to disobey a direct order from the sovereign

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


John

Mist-Tail listened intently, and thought for a moment.

"So. John-" He started. "-do you know anything about dragons? Because I don't, only that they haven't been seen for hundreds of years. And you've apparently got a moon, well, a little less now, before this one dies."


Elias

One of your advisers approached you as you drew closer to the city. You could see that there were intermittent fires, but it wasn't burning down in a great conflagration. It seemed likely to be some sort of civil disorder causing the damage, not an invading force or disaster.

"Uh, your grace." The adviser said began politely. "Should we consider, seeing if our assistance is desired by the crown?"


Moonrat

Fleeting-Whisper smiled nastily. "I am being paid to see that this mission succeeds, and I was given strict instructions to end any sign of treachery or cowardice. Oh, now don't look at me like that, you know how it goes." He said in a very smug and falsely laconic manner. "But, there would hypothetically be time to travel some distance before we ran out of time and supplies. While I am sure there would be some...leniency were you shown to have acted in Her best interests please rest comforted in the knowledge that I will execute her will should I see that it is necessary."

He paused again and his smile widened.

"I will enjoy you scrambling about desperately trying to find your dream, before I put a knife through your ribs. So let us enjoy our journey and be merry until then, shall we?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John - John's Camp, west of Lustrium

"I only really know what most people know from the stories. However, I figure that locating a dragon operates on similar principles to locating anyone else, you ask around and follow up whatever leads you find. Once we put some distance between us and Lustrium, I'll start quietly asking at inns and villages, see what we turn up. Most of those legends tend to have a basis in history, and considering the heavens just burned to the ground, I wouldn't be surprised if our scaly target had been active recently, if only to figure out what the hell happened."

John shrugged, "I thought about trying to get some info before I left town, but asking around about dragons seemed likely to raise some eyebrows and the last thing I want is competition on this from the cartels. Plus, who knows if there would've been another chance to get out clean. However, if you have any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them."

John listened to whatever Mist-Tail had to say, and once their discussion was done turned in for the night. He wanted to get up early and get travelling again at the crack of dawn. The first thing on the agenda was to put some distance between him and Lustrium. Then he'd begin to ask around about dragons, just like a thousand other investigations he'd conducted over his career.

Unless Mist-Tail has any suggestions, John's gonna keep going west for another couple of days, then start hitting up inns and villages to gather info about the dragon.

City Guard[+2] - Hunting a fugitive, hunting a dragon, the principle is the same. Getting people to spill what they know and fashioning that into workable knowledge was John's job for ages.

Stubborn[+2] - John's ready to put his nose to the grind-stone and not let a slow start to his investigation deter him. Even if only one person in a hundred knows something, John will keep going until he finds that person.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Moonrat

Moonrat tossed his head, feigning indifference. "And I'll enjoy smashing your head open with a rock some day." Flicking his eyes aside, he addressed Burrows-in-Starlight. "I want you scouting ahead, half a mile or so. Use the whippoorwill's call if you spot any trouble. We'll continue along the river and cross the mountains. Skirt past the Elfwoods after and make for Aubrecht. We are not being pursued or sought after, but we keep a low profile regardless."

He gave a long hard look towards the three guards. He debated issuing a warning to them. They might get the funny idea that Fleeting-Whisper was to be emulated and that they had permission to talk back to him. ...No. They would be wary enough as it is. No cause to turn their distrust into outright hatred.

Continuing the journey.
Thief [+2] and Nimble [+2] Moonrat wants the party to remain unseen while still making respectable time. The guards were not likely to have the skill to move as he and the assassins do. Thankfully, he's an old hand at making up for the shortcomings of those perhaps not as deft as he. Not every burglary is a one man job, and he's had to train his share of novices.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company


Casey

"No, pretty boy, I just wanted to see if you'd have the courage to actually say it out loud," Casey sneers, letting her disdain cover the internal wince at Petrus' hurtful words. He is trying, she knows, to get under her skin; she has no intention of letting him. She found herself suddenly looking forward to her new quest; it would be a delight to come back here and give this jackass a monstrous face to match the ugliness of his soul. That was a thought to keep her warm at night, that was. "Good luck with that, I suppose. You'll need it."

Influential though Petrus' family was, there were several more who were every bit as influential, she knew - not to mention the part of the city she knew best, the rabble. They would follow whoever they thought might get them food, money, and peace, in that order - and Petrus' family didn't control many of the city's outlying farms or fisheries. They almost certainly had allied themselves with a family that did, of course, but she knew, more than most, how fickle the mob could be. They would turn on Petrus in a heartbeat if they thought they'd get more out of it. Poverty will do that to you. If she were a betting woman, Casey would give Petrus' family about thirty percent odds of coming through the conflict to come in a winning position, but she has to admit that they were probably better-informed - and better at planning this sort of thing - than she.

At any rate, most of the more portable wealth of the Temple had been gathered up by now; the smaller, choicer items Casey pushed aside into a separate pile. Less than she'd wanted, but more than Petrus probably intended to let her take. Probably the bare minimum she'd need if boats were as rare as he claimed, plus a bit for emergencies. "Call it a finder's fee," she told the man, resting a hand on one of the heavy candlesticks - for use as a weapon should he turn on her, which she half-expected he would. "You can claim all the rest - and you're buying my silence on the matter, too, which I suspect might be useful to you and yours in the days to come."

Arguing for a better cut of cash so she can get the hell out of town with minimal fuss.

Resilient [+2]: not backing down for an instant in her attempts to get a more equitable (and survivable) share of cash.
Empathic [+2]: Petrus wants her quiet, and he wants her gone, and she knows it. She can lean on this.
Non-Binary [-2]: He just flat doesn't like who and what she is, and there's a chance he'll try and stop her just to be petty.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragomir - Lho-Rhydia

Hours passed, and Drago’s inquiries were… mildly productive. Nothing concrete, unfortunately, but it was interesting information nonetheless. He would have to keep this kingdom of legend in mind, especially once he begun his search for the library in earnest. Hopefully, the villages near the lake in question would have a little more to work with. Speaking of, the lizardman thought as he watched the sun begin to fall beneath the sea, he had to meet back up with Captain Friedrich. Hurrying as fast as his feet could take him, Drago sped off to the docks.

Running back to the ship before it gets too dark. If it matters, Dragomir is doing this without any attention to his surroundings.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

Milky eyes fixed the advisor with a look of pure scorn, as the petulant lord commented,

"Unless and until the civic authorities of Warchen, or the national authorities of Wolridge request the assistance of the Autarchy of Aubrecht, any action by those under my command in dealing with Wolridgian citizens would technically be an act of war upon our southern neighbour, or at best an act of rampant opportunism in the face of their disorder. Even, as you suggest, discreetly offering our help would be a profound insult, as we would be insinuating they are incapable of maintaining order without our help. Signal our presence as we pass the docks: Any more than that would be an imposition and an impertinence. We certainly wouldn't have tolerated it from them!"

At best, neutrally let them know we're here if they have control of or presence by the docks.

-2 Abrasive: This is precisely the sort of beneficial regard for fellow sentients which Elias is famed for not having.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002



Karla - Campfire Tales

https://youtu.be/XYFRxu2kWhM

That the lizardman and his ogre companion hadn't given their names along with their wariness let Karla know that they had it as hard or harder than she had out in the wilds. She decided to tell them her story. About gowing up among her people, her adventures & hunts, and her love and the eventual raid by the Janites. When it came to that part she would only say that it was the coming of the Janites that destroyed her people and scattered the rest to the winds. Reliving that day and the emotions along with it would not be a good thing as she felt her dark anger and sorrow begin to stir at the barely touched upon memory. Moving past it before those emotions took hold she looked at her hosts, "I've told you my story, tell me your tales of your walks of the wilds. I haven't met many others outside of my people's lands. Did the Janites come here too?" Karla hoped these two would accept her at least for a while, she was very lonely and needed to know about the world.

So much had been happening, were her people wrong in their isolation or justified? Perhaps once she got to know these lone hunters better, she could share with them her quest for healing at the forgotten shrine and her dream-vision by the last god in the world. Karla realized she had been talking for a while and had not gotten to why she would be travelling west. She hadn't realized just how much she missed other people. It would be rude to monopolize the conversation further and she settled back to listen and see if she would be accepted.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha - Approaching Tamora's Harbor

"Oi", Sasha seemed almost a bit mournful as she looked upon the sorry state of the local navy, "Seem like the mainlanders' boats couldn't take their beats." She uncorked a gourd (much lighter than it was when they left the archipelago), poured some of the unnecessarily strong spirits within into the cork until it was filled to the brim, and the poured the impromptu shot glass overboard in memory of those taken by the sea.

"But such is the caprice of gods, ey? Can never be certain when they decide to give or take. This the reason I never really saw much point in dealin' with 'em. Much prefer honest work to gamblin', hah!"

Her ruminations aside, Sasha signaled to her troupe that they were approaching the harbor, flying the mercenary flags of mercantile and peaceful intent all the while.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Victor

Victor sighs in relief as he gets through the gates. Finally, an honest guardsman. Of course, that mostly meant a guardsman who was willing to forgo graft now for the promise of future graft, but he took what he could get. Of course, getting back in the city later might be a problem. Unless he was able to find a cart, that is. Still, that was a problem for later. He had an earth spirit to deal with.

He took a moment to go over what he knew about earth spirits. They were spirits. He knew that. And they were somehow tied to the earth. All right, so he didn't know much about earth spirits. He never spent a lot of time knowing or even worrying about the supernatural or magic, and he regretted that. Still, if it was alive and thinking, it could be negotiated with or tricked. He had faith in that.

Searching for this spirit

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


John

You did not find anything of useful note. There were mentions and rumours of strange lights in the mountains, but they could have been dwarves more likely than dragons. The stories never happened in the same place. The only thing of use was that there was supposed to be an eccentric scholar investigating dragons and their history in the region. He lived in the town of Festrum another six days travel away from you. Mist-Tail commented that people with lots of money and strong interests tended to end up living near those interests. He might be a good person to check in with.

1:40 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 10 = 2d6(1,5)+4


Moonrat

You traveled south along the mountains until you were travelling in the region between Lustrium, Marketh and Redivar. Remaining unseen was relatively easy for the large part, there were few travellers along the mountain roads in the wake of the storms and quakes of the recent times. With the aid of the Fleeting-Whisper and Burrows-In-Starlight it was easy to avoid their notice. But after 8 days of travel you came to a split in the road. One was a mountain path to west, into northern Redivar and one continued south along the base of the mountains. The mountain road would be tougher but quicker, especially if your goal was to head to Aubrecht before heading south. The southern route would be easier though, and with less risk of any landslides or fissures making your travel difficult. It would also add many days extra to your journey, especially if your goal was Aubrecht.

2:01 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 16 = 2d6(6,6)+4


Casey

Petrus looked at you with displeasure, but there was a calculation that occured in his head and he seemed to change his mind. He shrugged, with only a slight indication it was forced. "As you wish. Good luck making it out of the city with all of that. Alive. People are going to want to loot what they can and that all puts a big target on you." He took some of the goods with him and called out for someone who was waiting outside to come in and help him.

"Farewell Casey. I do not imagine we will ever see each other again. While I will not wish you good luck, you will need all you can."

2:14 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 14 = 2d6(6,6)+2
Petrus acquiesces to your offer and decides it is not worth trying to betray or assault you over anything.


Dragomir

You boarded the boat, and Captain Friedrich set off the next day. He was making a route around the southern coast, around the coast of Wolridge, down below Redivar and then into Marketh. On the fourth day as you pulled in to the port of Griesaze, west of Wolridge and on the mouth of the river Wolr, the Captain scowled as one of the deck hands came back from the port with a grim expression on his face. You could not hear the story from here, but it was not looking like good news.


Elias

Your advisor looked like they wanted to say something else, but seeing your mood they decided better than to do so. "Yes, your grace." They replied simply and hurriedly left. You watched the various fires and rioting mobs from the middle of the river. The west side of the city, the poorer side, seemed to be in better shape at first. But on second glance you realised that it had just already suffered a lot of damage. Presumably the commoners had fallen upon each other during the war of the gods.

Once or twice people tried to hurl some kind of explosive at you, but they could not reach your vessel from the shore.

2:14 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 5 = 2d6(1,6)-2


Karla

The ogre and lizardman looked at each other. During the story they had seemed to relax in one way, but were still wary. Given your curse you could hardly blame them.

"We have not seen the people you speak of, although we have heard stories of them when we met other clans." The lizardman said. "You may call me Leng, and my companion here is Talia. She does not speak much, but she is a good listener." Leng said finally introducing the pair of them. Talia nodded in agreement. "We stayed with the Alora tribe when we came to these lands, Talia arriving two years before me. Once we had learned what we needed to know we parted ways. Both of us had grown tired of the ways of our peoples and cities, and wanted to live in touch with the world. There are fewer people these days who respect the ways of the natural world and of the old customs. I even heard before I left that in Tamora there is a machine that uses steam to move like an animal, that has the strength of ten horses."

Talia spoke then, her voice lighter than you might have expected from her powerful body. "This Terminus is not a spirit I have heard of, but from what you have said, he does not sound like a spirit of good. I would be wary following his words. Such spirits have a way of tricking you with costs and curses you had not foreseen."


Sasha

You pulled into the harbour, and while the crews of the two ships watched you warily they did not act yet. Looking at the city proper, you could see that there were signs of conflict. Barricades and patrols marked the port. You wondered if the ships were there to keep you out, or people in the city in.

As you pulled into the docks there was a young human man surrounded by a small retinue of guards. For a human he was exceptionally handsome, and he seemed to be deciding on something as you pulled in.


Viktor

You knew that the spirit was along the coast, and so you travelled east along the road. Eventually after several days of travel you reached the seaside town of Fisher's End. Called so because there were only small villages further north and they had few visitors at all. The town seemed to be in better shape than Haven's Reach after the storms, but there were a number of ruined houses closer to the shore and many, many ruined fishing boats. The mood in town was sombre, but people did not run you out or attempt to relieve you of your belongings at least.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John - Lands West of Lustrium

It wasn't much, but some lead was better than nothing. So it was that John and his companion set out for Festrum. All too aware of the looming deadline to find his quarry, John tried to make the best time possible, putting his mind and body to the task of travelling as long as fast as he could, even if it meant he'd have to carry Mist-Tail if the ratling couldn't keep up.

John's heading to Festrum, trying to make the best time possible for the journey.

Hardy[+2] - John can keep on going more than most, and he's going to go rely on that talent.

Stubborn[+2] - Even when he's pushing himself to his limit, John's going to power on through via sheer willpower. He's set on making it to this dragon in time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company


Casey

"I guess we'll see what the future holds, Petrus. Don't get burned alive by an angry mob or anything."

(Because I want to be the one holding the match you arrogant prick, she does not add)

So - now Casey has a pile of loot. The smallest and most valuable pieces get secreted on her person; the rest, she shoves in a sack before heading out - and, ideally, before catching sight of any of Petrus' confederates, because the less she knows about his family's plans the safer it will be for her. Where, then, to bring them? As noted earlier, Casey's upbringing gives her some good ideas about the best places to try and hide things in this city. There are places only the poor tend to go, places where the pavingstones in the alleyways have long since been dug up. Know the right alley, and you can bury a sack of loot without anyone chancing upon it. Usually it's bodies that get buried; the same principles will work for loot, though.

So she makes herself a stash, then heads down to the docks. Let's see what our options are for sailing towards the setting sun.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Victor

Victor wasn't a fan of small towns and villages. Everybody knew everybody, and they remembered strangers. They also tended not to have much in the way of money, and Victor liked money. Besides that, he'd had enough of outdoors as a kid, and small towns tended to rub your nose in the outdoors...literally sometimes, from the smell of cow dung that seemed to be coming from that pasture.

Still, this was as good a place as any for a bite to eat and confirmation he was on the right track....probably a better place than most, come to think of it. The little villages even further north really held no promise for strangers at all. He pulled a shawm out of his pack. He could play...not well enough to make a good living at it, probably, or at least not without more practice than he had, But well enough to fake it. All he had to do was play well enough that he could justify his presence here. And that, he could do. He stood on the town's main street, put out a bowl, and began to play.

Using Disguise +2 to impersonate a travelling minstrel. Playing, mingling, and keeping my ears open.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

His eyes went to the buildings of the authorities, those who had the highest interest in maintaining order and the status quo ante deo-bellum. It was clear the city would be in substantial need of the products Aubrecht had to offer in order to help rebuild, but equally clear dumping fuel on the fire at this juncture would be a wasted effort, or at best a massive delay with political ramifications. Still, since it was on the way home, whoever was in charge when this insurgency burnt itself out would have an even more pressing need of supplies, and so he conferred with the captain on a plan to assist the new or restored regime on the way back via trade goods sourced further up the coast once they had gotten a good price for their present cargo.

Long term plans for profiteering on the return leg, once all this has settled down one way or the other.

Shrewd +2: Cold, but ultimately logical, future benefit with considerably less risk.

Educated+2: Planning is only useful if you know or can extrapolate sufficient practical details, which between the state of the city and knowledge of what is likely to be required were he in charge of it through prior learning.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Moonrat

He had spent the previous evening around the fire in quiet contemplation. Not unusual for him, really. While he made conversation with his companions to help make the miles go faster, he was not a talker by nature. When he had to speak he preferred to get right to heart of the matter and be done with it. No meandering asides or anecdotes.

On this occasion, he found himself stuck with a choice. Take the mountain road and hope the cataclysm had not shattered it beyond all recognition or possibility of travel, or lose time taking the longer but more reliable route. Greed tempted him to hurry. To seize this chance as quickly as possible and rub it in Fleeting-Whisper's smug prick face. Maybe sweet talk his apprentice into shivving Whsiper in the back while he gloated. Moonrat could just picture the look of betrayed horror he would have.

Yet - he was reminded of the old wisdom. They stumble that run fast. The keep wasn't going anywhere. He had not been cautioned that something was awry that demanded all speed. And that brought up an entirely separate issue in itself. He had no idea where this place actually was. "At the very bottom of the mountains dividing the lands, far south there lies an old keep." Fine and good, but still quite vague. There were two ranges that could be considered most southerly. One extended significantly further, yes, but how did you interpret "bottom"? If Terminus had simply meant the lowest point, the eastern range would be the logical choice. If he meant literally underneath? That complicated things.

Ugh. Doubtless he was overthinking this. But that was why Aubrecht was the next stop. If an ogre-inhabited keep existed, that would be the place to learn of it.

---

The next day found them traveling southerly. Caution had won out in the end; an inglorious death by landslide was not how he wished to die. Plus this made it more likely they would encounter other travelers. Travelers would have news of these southern reaches, and news was useful. Travelers would also have money, and perhaps more valuable things, and Moonrat was hardly above a bit of common brigandry if the opportunity presented itself.

As they went, he matched pace with Burrows-In-Starlight and attempted some light conversation. He wanted to get a feel for the sort of person she was, and whether or not he could afford to trust her. She was apprentice to a man he hated, so no doubt her ears had been poisoned against him already, but opinions can change.

He gave her a polite nod. "Dame Starlight." He used her formal title. Apprentice or not, she was an assassin and had earned that distinction. "I suspect little escapes your hearing. What have you heard of the goings on in Redivar?"

Moonrat will begin trying to ingratiate himself with Burrows-In-Starlight. If the worst comes to pass, maybe she'll hesitate for just the second he needs to escape with his life.
Handsome [+2] Burrows-In-Starlight might be a quiet woman and a trained killer, but Moonrat has a way of disarming even the most callous individual.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha - Tamora's Harbor

Sasha waved at the two ships with a grin as she passed, in willful defiance of their terse attitude. The humans were the sort to get all worked up over nothing, after all. Not that she really minded, since worries and paranoia were good sources of income for those in her line of work. When their boats drew to the piers, and the throng of ogres gathered into the harbor proper, Sasha gave her orders.

"Oi, so we do this all in accordance o' standard practice, ye? Dirk, hit the guildhouses, Alma check out the market. Gal, go check if the local nobles have any heralds or courtiers or somesuch layin' about, if not, check the officials in the case the state has something fer us. Take yer squads and go, I'll check out this fancy feller here", Sasha nodded towards the well groomed man, "and see if he has anything worth our time to offer. If not, I'll join ye later."

As the company scattered, Sasha and a few chosen elites of the group approached the (apparent) nobleman. Sasha approached politely, and gave a deep, even slightly flamboyant bow (the rich and powerful loved their bows). "Greetings, sire!", she begun, "I cannot help but notice that ye seem to be a person of finer sort! Certainly a rarity in these less than fancy parts o' town, ye?" She grinned. "But even I, a humble ogre, can put together that a rich fellow, under guard, in a town in grips of some good ol' fashioned lootin', checking out boats in the harbor, probably means ye are lookin' to either depart yerself or yer belongings from these here parts. Now if so, it's your lucky day! Name's Sasha Snowdrake, and I come well recommended on that sort o' thing. Ogre's word!"



OOC: Sending dudes to find work and also checking out this rich looking guy

Affable [+2]: Sasha gets along with other.

Would use 'Terror of the seas' here, but as established, it does not really affect the rich and powerful (as much as it does the less well off and isolated) since those are the people who actually have enough money to hire ogres and see them as generally useful.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002



Karla - Campfire Tales
Karla specifically had not shared details about her curse exactly or anything about her quest yet or the vision with Terminus, but for expediency's sake I'll roll with it like she had done so since they didn't react badly to getting the information :/

That Leng and Talia hadn't reacted too harshly to learning about her curse and quest made Karla feel relief. They wouldn't drive her away, at least for now. She would share the fire with them for this night at least. "I will heed your advice and will try to be careful." She responded to Talia, for Karla herself didn't know if she could trust Terminus completely herself. Terminus had said he had spoken of others and what motivations and reasons would the singular god have to set all of these people on this path? "Have either of you heard of this forgotten temple or know of a safe way to get there beyond these lands? Any advice on this long journey I will take, as I have not been beyond these lands." Leng might know more since he had come into this life rather than been born into it Karla reasoned. She would spend the rest of the night learning what she could from them about the world beyond and any wisdom they could impart to her.


Asking some questions:
If Leng or Talia:
  • "Heard about the forgotten temple"
  • "Safe paths and ways to get there or through the lands on the way and any dangers or cautions along the way"
  • Basically also spending the evening learning about the world beyond and any wisdom these two can impart to her for her journey.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragomir - Griesaze

Four days had passed since Drago had set off from Lho-Rhydia, and the lizardman was finding himself quite at ease. Despite the damages the ship had taken, Captain Friedrich and his crew kept the whole journey moving more than smoothly, leaving Drago with plenty of time on his hands. On the first day, he originally began to make plans for what to do once they reached landfall, but quickly found himself relaxing and simply enjoying the ride. It was the first time he had left the port-city, after all, at least with no intent to return for the foreseeable future. Who knew when he might get a chance like this again?

Such thoughts were why the lizardman was lazily dangling his feet off the edge of the ship as one of the deck hands reported back. Concerned by the sudden grim expression upon the Captain’s face, Drago made his way over to the pair, steeling himself for bad news.

“Is there a problem, Captain? Something that Drago can assist with, perhaps?”

Directly questioning Friedrich. Let’s see what mess we’ve gotten ourselves into.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


John

You pushed yourself and Mist-Tail to reach Festrum as quickly as possible. The ratling was nimbler on his feet than his seemingly sedentary previous profession might have suggested but as you made it to the town you knew that you had pushed him to exhaustion. When it came to yourself you were not faring that much better. For better or worse you would need to rest a full day or two in the town before you could continue.

But fortunately meeting with the scholar was not something you would expect to be strenuous.

1:22 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 9 = 2d6(4,1)+4
John and Mist-Tail gain the temporary trait: Worn Out
It will persist until you have had a full day of rest.



Casey

On the way to the docks you saw smoke rising from a building. It was near to your path and as you went by you recognised it; it belonged to an inventor who had been working on some kind of steam powered mechanical engine. The inventor, a reasonably kindly man if a bit naive and obsessed with his work had been the subject of harasssment and public outcry before the heavens had fallen...you could only imagine what might be happening at the moment.

But you had nothing to make you stop and help. Unless Casey wanted to help out of an altruistic sense or if she had known the inventor no one would fault her for moving quickly past and on to the docks.


Victor

The problem with your disguise was you apparently were much better at the shawm than you had expected, or the townsfolk had even lower expectations than you had given them credit for. Your disguise was successful but you drew the attention of people who passed you a few coins here and there. Nothing too extravagant, times were hard for them it seemed, but more than you might have expected otherwise.

1:22 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 8 = 2d6(1,5)+2
Your disguise is successful but also memorable.



Elias

(Please do not make rolls for long term stuff, that stuff should be handled as it comes up. Making a roll to leave someone behind with instructions is fine, but not a 'I do x for y in an indeterminate amount of time'. If that makes sense. Otherwise just ask me and I will tell you if it would be an issue.)

Thinking about the situation, Elias could see a couple of things. If you did not make a token effort to assist with the situation Warchen while you were there, then once the city restored order the lords of Wolridge would definitely think less of you. How much so would probably depend on some silver tongued diplomacy, but there were be some kind of fall out. You had made too much of a show to intimidate the rioting populace to have simply slipped past unnoticed. Travelling by sea, trading and returning would take you at least two weeks from Warchen. This did not include any extra time that would be needed to track down the ruins to the north and to investigate it. Which by land would no doubt add one or more weeks. If you wished to act, either to assist directly or indirectly with Woldridge, then you would need to send word back to Aubrecht or leave someone behind.


Moonrat


Burrows-in-Starlight was remarkably indifferent to your attempts. She was a professional, so she took a cursory interest in bribes. But you could tell that for the time being she either held loyalty to the queen, or felt that your position was too risky to back. Fortunately she was also professional enough not to mention these overtures to her master, but that was about the only positive thing to come out of that experience. You approached the south end of the mountains to the east of Redivar, which presented another choice. Travel east on a detour to Lybin, a lesser trade city of Marketh, or to continue around the base of the mountains and head west to the capital of Redivar, Redivan.

1:22 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 6 = 2d6(2,2)+2
Not good, but not a disaster. Just.



Sasha

The man looked at you, and frowned slightly. "No, I did not intend to leave. The gods are dead, and Tamora has long been a city of them. Now we must find a new order, and the people throw themselves into reckless chaos to do so." At first he had been perhaps slightly intimidated by your physical presence, but now wrapping himself up in speaking a bit he seemed to regain his nerve. "I am Petrus, of house Karm. I would seek to build this new order, with my family and our allies at the top. What is it that you seek, Sasha Snowdrake, humble Ogre?"

1:22 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 13 = 2d6(6,5)+2
Petrus is more positively disposed to you currently and likely to pay you more credit than a lot of humans and people in Tamora otherwise would.

Karla

Talia frowned slightly and glanced at Leng. He spoke. "Those directions sound like Terminus was speaking of Tamora. It has long been a land that revered the gods, but as their influence waxed and wane which gods it held up high changed. If there are likely to be forgotten temples, that is one of the places I would look. The safest path...if you wish to avoid the dangers of mortals, then you would do well to travel across the waves. If you wish to avoid the dangers of the wilds, then you should stick those roads made by the nations along the way. Whatever you choose, I would be wary of the cities for a time. The fall of the heavens is bound to cause chaos and confusion. The world has not ended and so people will regain control and order in time, but I fear it will not be a kindly order in some places."

Leng and Talia spoke further, the former more of the latter, but much of their advice was practical and things you already knew. Avoid strangers until you knew whether they could be trusted not to immediately harm you and watch your coin purse as many in towns and cities did not respect other people's property. If Leng was to make the journey, he would travel near the roads but avoid other travellers when possible. But as the night drew on, you began to feel a slight tug of annoyance. You were not stupid, and you had looked after yourself and dealt with the Janites before now. As you thought these thoughts, you felt a well of that burning dark anger in you. It was not raging yet, but it was an unpleasant reminder of what could go wrong.


Dragomir

"A problem...aye, you could say that. Warchen is burning, and its people riot. I have no doubt that the lords will seize control again in time, but I had been counting on there being more supplies here than there are. It means that we currently do not have enough supplies to make the full journey. We'll be lucky to reach Yaevan with what we've got."

Yaevan was another trade port that lay in the south of Wolridge. There would only be smaller fishing communities between here and there, and none would have a dock for the ship to anchor in. If Yaevan did not have any more provisions than Griesaze, then Friedrich would be stuck there for the immediate future.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias - Warchen

With a grimace of considerable annoyance,

"Captain, heave-to at the dockside. Battlemaster, split the retinue, half with me in full armour, half with the ship. Cast off when we're ashore and drop anchor in the middle of the river until you see us return to the docks."

Elias returned to his cabin to get more appropriately attired for marching to the administration building through potentially hostile territory. On his return,

"Retinue detail, form defensive escort column. Our objective is safe arrival at the civic administration building, let's see if any of the lords didn't flee to their estates or villas. By the left, march!"

Making a token show of assistance, heading to where authority is most likely to be.

+2 Leader: He's going personally. Whilst at the centre of the formation, he's still putting himself in harms' way alongside the finest soldiers of Aubrecht.

+2 Educated: He is aware of the required protocols, the civic layout, the order of precedence amongst the local nobility. If there's someone to speak with left, he can certainly do a good job.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company


Casey

She should just keep going, Casey knew. "It's nothing to do with me," she muttered under her breath, reaching back to pull the hood of her cloak over her head. "Foolish old man probably blew himself up. I have places I have to be. Every minute I stay in town I run the risk of getting caught up in something ugly." Her muttering fades, but the rationales continue to echo in the young woman's head. There are a lot of reasons why she should just keep moving, so many she can't count them all. Surely it would be foolish to do anything but head straight to the docks. Surely she's not that much a fool.

Casey blinks, realizing that she's already turned from her planned route and is halfway down the block to the old inventor's home; while her head was busy telling her not to get involved, her feet went ahead and made the decision to jump right in.

"Well, hell," she says suddenly, shrugging and picking up the pace. "You only live once, I guess."

Let's go see what's going on! It might be fun and interesting! Who knows, maybe the guy has an airship in his basement or something.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha

"Constructin' a New World Order ye say? Hah, good luck with that my friend, certainly puts me buildin' Ol' Snaggletooth over there ta shame", Sasha gestured towards the boats with her thumb over her shoulder, "As fer me, I'm just a mercenary captain, looking fer work fer my lil' company on our way South, along the coast." She smirked, "Don't know much about makin' new political systems, but I do know it's hard to make much o' anything without good ol' fashioned muscle. So, if the noble house o' Karm were to need such muscle somewhere nearby, or to the south of here, I'd probably be rather willin' to lend some to ye."

"For a price of course", Sasha chuckled, "An ogre's got to eat, ye?"



OOC: Just asking if Petrus has any work for me that is not too out of the way for our journey.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Galain
Larburry


"I have many people telling me things, some of them might just be rumors. The people talk. But with the gods dead, I cannot afford to ignore any things." he deliberately didn't answer the question. He stared at the map. "So, all the outlying areas around it have dragon sightings, but not near these three towns." He stroked his chin. "I've heard some soldiers make some vulgar statements about what you should and shouldn't do where you sleep. The fact that only in these areas there are no sightings, makes it all the more interesting. If all areas had these sightings, I would be more inclined to think this simply overactive imaginations."

He thought for a moment. "Very well, I will go and have a look there myself. There must be a reason for the absence of sightings there compared to the areas around them. Sir Faston, I will leave you in charge of maintaining the peace here. I will indulge my curiosity, and travel there. Prepare a small escort of knights, about five should be enough. I am simply investigating after all."

Let's head towards the closest of these three towns.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John - Festrium

It had been a grueling journey, but the pair had shaved a day off the normal estimate of time. For the moment, time was John's most valuable and limited commodity so he was satisfied, and Mist-Tail had proven quicker than John had expected. Now that he reached town, it was time to meet this dragon-studying noble. However, John was no novice sleuth, he wasn't about to go talk to someone so potentially important to his case blind. So John spent a few hours casually asking questions in the inn and other gathering places around town. He tried to keep it low key, but he was looking for info on just what sort of man this noble was.

John's gonna do some background info gathering on this noble he's planning to meet. Arming himself for the discussion to come as it were.

City Guard[+2] - John's done this a thousand times, learn about a subject before you interview them. Try and avoid arising suspicion, while learning what you need to go in prepared.

Easy to Miss[+2] - John's good at keeping questions and inquiries on the DL, being sort of forgettable helps.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Moonrat

Cool as ice. If Burrows-In-Starlight did eventually see merit in backing him, she'd be invaluable. Too many folk in the business with loose lips and hot tempers.

Moonrat led the group eastward towards Lybin. It was detour, but a minor one, and they'd been on the road long enough. A proper bed and a hot meal would suit him just fine, and no doubt the feeling was mutual among them. It was also a good opportunity to at least pay lip service to his assigned duty and see how things fared among the ratlings down here. There were always plenty of his people in the trade cities, they would have their ears open, and they would know of the goings on in the wider world. Moonrat didn't really concern himself with the other races but it would be useful to know what sort of rumblings they were making in the wake of all the chaos.

Moonrat will also be on the lookout for good opportunities to make a score. His palms get itchy if he hasn't stolen anything in a while.

Shardix fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2017 around 00:02

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002



Karla

She pushed the darkness back and smoothed the minor irritation away. She would be gracious, they did share their fire and a little useful information.

She left them at dawn, journeying to her destiny.

Rolling out. Westward to forgotten shrine destiny. Going to follow the roads and avoid people until I know they are safe if needed.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragomir - Griesaze

Drago gave a somewhat sage nod as he listened to the captain speak. It was certainly quite the problem, and one that the lizardman wasn’t entirely certain how to solve. It wasn’t as if he could make supplies appear out of thin air, after all. The news that Warchen was in a less than hospitable state was unpleasant to hear as well, and Drago offered a silent prayer that the riots might end without too much loss. Not that there were gods left to hear his prayer, though that fact had yet to truly register in Drago’s mind. Bringing his attention back to the matter at hand, the lizardman replied to Captain Friedrich after consideration,

“But we still have some supplies left, yes? Perhaps… if all eat and drink less, then they might last longer? Enough to make the journey, or at least reach Yaevan? Drago included, of course.”

Suggesting to crack down and help the captain better ration what supplies we have. Might make the crew unhappy, but at least we’ll hold out.

Resourceful [+2] - Never being particularly affluent in the first place, this isn’t Drago’s first time trying to make a small amount of food/water last a fairly long amount of time. Sure it’s for an entire ship this time, but details.

Resolute [+2] - In times like these, Drago proves to be surprisingly resilient to hardship, and even more so when he has a goal like the library in mind.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Victor

It was....possibly unfortunate, to be so memorable. Victor had always striven to be a face in the crowd....only noticeable when he wanted to be. Still, it could have been worse. He likely wouldn't be coming back this way after this mission were completed. Still, he made a mental note to remember his persona in this town. Oh well, at least he got enough money for lunch.

Being at the back end of nowhere, there's not much of a tavern, and it's inhabitants mostly a local crowd. Still, he wanders in, pays for what passes for food and beer in this place, and keeps his ears open. It's not likely he's going to hear anything particularly important (although if there is an earth elemental nearby, that's got to pass for news), but you never know, and it's good to practice listening, besides.

Eating, and listening in on rumors and gossip.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Elias

You found as you walked into the city that there were a few very large fires, that produced a lot of smoke, but that the city itself as a whole was not burning. There were bodies in the streets, mostly of the poor and the ragged, although the few dead guard or soldier lay around. You yourself did not recognise them at first, but they had been stripped and left naked in the streets and one of the guards recognised what had happened.

Arriving at the town hall, that served as the main building for administration, it was guarded by the retinues of three families. Once your flag and authority were quickly recognised, you were swiftly allowed entrance to the building. Two ladies and three lords from the houses of Jernung, Gwaelin and Fardreck were seated around a table with reports and serious expressions on their faces. As you were announced, they turned to face you, a look of surprise on their faces.

1:00 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 14 = 2d6(5,5)+4
Although it has not come into play yet, you will have a positive modifier when dealing with the nobles here for coming to at least investigate, if not assist.


Casey

There were some people around yelling at the building, messages about how the blasphemy of steam had killed the gods. Most had fled once the building had seriously caught fire, and those left were standing back and apart. You could see a door open, darting inside would be easy. Judging by the shouting it seemed certain that the professor was still left inside.


Sasha

Petrus Karm seemed unsurprised and unphased by your demand for payment. "Not a world order, just one for Tamora. If you want a fight and conflict, then this is the place for you. Tamora was a land blessed by the gods, and the people here go mad without their guidance. I have work for you, easy enough if you just want guard duties and to intimidate crowds. Stories of ogre raiders are rife in our once fair city and you will strike fear into their hearts. Or if you would whet your appetite for combat, I would have bloodier jobs against those that would oppose me. Jobs that pay better as well. Do either of these interest you, Sasha Snowdrake?"

The sounds of some rioting and pillars of smoke continued in the background.


Galain

Tygen lay the closest to Larburry, with Anterra and Wainn lying to the north west along the mountains. The travel was not difficult, a duke could afford a carriage and horses for his retinue of guards. Setting off in the next morning, you arrived late in the afternoon the next day amongst the rain.

Seeing the arrival of his lord, the mayor of the town personally invited you to stay in his home. It was...modest, extremely so for a lord of your stature, but for mayor of a small mining town it definitely had luxury. One thing caught your attention though, as you walked through the house to the guest room you noticed an old suit of armour. Although well maintained it had gone dull with the passing of centuries. Its shield, the paint faint and chipped, held the crest of some house. The crest caught your attention for its depiction of a dragon rampant. Not an uncommon heraldic symbol but one that might hold more importance in your current search.


John

Mist-Tail spent the time you searched resting. Although he had been quick, he was smaller and unused to such long exertions; the rush had taken a greater toll on him than you.

Finding the scholar was not hard, the noble had a modest (for even this backwater town) estate on the edge of town about a half hour's walk towards the mountains. He came into town periodically for supplies for expeditions, but most common was his single servant who did shopping for food and necessities. He often arrived on the third day of the week, which would be in two days, but you could probably seek an audience with the noble directly. The people of the town commented he had a madness for old stories and for maps of the mountains and region. His obsession with dragons was well known, but the people of the town snorted as you followed up on that and commented no dragons had been seen in centuries, since the last of the great dragon slayers' crusades.

1:00 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 9 = 2d6(1,4)+4
You find information


Moonrat

It took you another three days of travel to reach Lybin. Although the town had seen its fair share of chaos and disorder, after this long since the raging heavens people had begun to reinstate order. Despite being ratlings, the promise of spending coin would warm the disposition of many in the town; they could badly use the trade and patronage.

You could go cheap, or try for somewhere a bit more classy if you wished. Even despite the eagerness for coin, prejudice would make getting rooms in the fanciest of the inns in town a difficult prospect. Supplies could be purchased from the market, marked up because of scarcity and opportunism. There were docks as well, and the possibility of purchasing passage on a boat if it was travelling where you wanted to go. Buying passage yourselves would be possible, but would use up a great deal of your allocated funds.

Let me know if you want to try for something else, these aren't the only options and points of interest just the most immediate ones for travelers.


Karla

You travelled west, avoiding towns and living off the land. In time the weather got drier and colder, and mountains began to loom in the distance where the sun set.

Then one morning you awoke suddenly to the sounds of horns. You had heard that hunting parties of people to the west sometimes used them, but it was too early for the lazy city dwellers to be moving around for such an activity. But they were not far, and there was a concern that if they were on horse-back then you would be hard pressed to escape them.


Dragomir

The captain agreed with your assessment. "Aye, but if only it was so easy. All but two of my passengers would likely agree, but they will demand that they get their due for their payment. If they eat their fill, others will demand to as well. I will not starve my crew to fill the belly of some greedy merchant." He said with a scowl, stamping his feet to accentuate the last point.


1:00 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 10 = 2d6(1,5)+4
The captain agrees with your suggestion, but two passengers will complicate the issue.

Victor

People talked about their troubles, and tried to drown them in ale. Their problems largely consisted of being unable to fish, and the harvest being in danger from the storms and trials of the death of the gods. One of them mentioned seeking out the aid of the strange witch up the coast, but he was quickly dismissed. The witch would just entrance him and eat him, he was a cunning creature and utterly without goodness or able to be trusted. The fisher quickly shut up but seemed unhappy with the general attitude. Other notable mentions included seeing some strange white ship off in the distance of the coast, dismissed as a drunken or delirious delusion, and the old monastery to the south. They did not get out much and no one had even seen the monks since the troubles in the heavens had begun.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company


Casey

"What the hell are you people doing? Go home!" shouts Casey, putting as much authority into her voice as she can manage, before darting through the open door, rescue on her mind.

The priesthood may be defunct, but Casey is still wearing her Novice's uniform, and the people of Tamora have been listening to people dressed like that for generations; she's betting that that ingrained respect might be enough to jar the crowd out of their rage and get them to disperse, or at least not get in her way if she tries dragging anyone out of the burning shack. Maybe if she's really lucky, some of them will come to their senses and start dousing the fire. Using Lithe [+2] to avoid getting burned during rescue operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John - Festrium

Once John had the knowledge he was looking for, he went back for Mist-Tail and then after trying to make himself as presentable as he could headed towards the noble's estate. John had considered not bringing his ratling compatriot, no knowing how a wealthy man might view a ratling, but John had never been known for his silver tongue, so he figured having someone a bit more smooth along probably outweighed the risk.

Heading towards the noble's estate.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »