Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Moonrat

Moonrat was in a good mood. He was not overfond of the wilderness, preferring urban sprawl to vast swathes of not much at all, so finding himself back in a city did much to improve his disposition. He hadn't even haggled very hard at market when replenishing supplies. He was an opportunist for certain, but even he was not inclined to kick most people when they were down. The coin was needed, and he had some to spare. It would all find its way back to the ratlings eventually anyway. He had opted for frugality in regards to lodgings, though. He was not interested in dealing with some arrogant upstart who thought he was too good to share a roof with his folk. As nice as it would be to leave some inbred noble bleeding out in the hall, that would lead to more trouble than it was worth.

Besides, he was not going to be able to conduct any business in the fancier districts without raising some eyebrows. While his comrades rested up and he restocked their supplies, he had also been putting word out that he wished a meeting with whatever boss was running things around here. Last he knew, Cat-Strangler called the shots but that was a year ago or more. A lot could change in that time even under normal circumstances. While he waited for a response, he passed the time with a mug of mead and some low-stakes dicing with his guards. He mused to himself that his mood must be better than he thought. He didn't bother cheating, and simply accepted his losses with grace.

He glanced aside at the assassins. "Starlight, you want in on this? It seems to be my day to pay out to everyone." He studiously ignored any folk in the common room that might be looking askance at the chittering. If they thought he was going to speak a degenerate common tongue around them unless absolutely necessary they were sorely mistaken.

Moonrat will pretty much pay the market price for resupply, accepting that he's probably getting ripped off a bit. Bearing that in mind, his current plan to to continue on foot once things in Lybin are handled. Passage by ship would be nice but better to keep hold of the remaining funds, just in case.

His primary focus is setting up a meeting with the local mafia boss, utilizing his skills as a Thief [+2]. His proficiency in the thieves' cant and a bit of discreet bribery goes a long way. Setting the hearts of any ratling ladies in the business all aflutter with his Handsome [+2] good looks should also ease things along nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

He swept into the room, flanked by the honour guard permitted by protocol, two of his retinue moving in perfect synchronicity, their armour gleaming as was his. A broad bow, his cloak flaring as he stood before the table, and greeted those he magnanimously treated as peers,

"My ladies, my lords of Wolridge, We greet you as the Autarchy of Aubrecht. We would apologise for the lack of warning befitting a state visit, but under the present circumstances we felt it necessary to make an unscheduled stop. We are presently engaged in a time-critical matter, so we are not at liberty to tarry overmuch, but we would not be good neighbours if we did not at least extend a hand when it seems those near us are under duress. My present assets in the city are my personal retinue, one of our trading barques and its cargo of fine Aubrechtian wares, the relevant saleable items including military equipment and a few mining pumps which may be of use dousing fires if you have the men to position them and hoses to adapt them. If need be, I can provide my seal and writ for you to convey north, if you wish to purchase the services of Aubrechtian retinues to help restore order. So, my ladies and my lords, what are the most pressing matters, and how might we use these assets, by sale or lease, in the limited time available, to assist your fair city?"

Diplomatic overtures of assistance and marketing.

+2 Stylish: Elias knows how to make a good entrance, and the high quality arms of his honour guard, not to mention their discipline, is in itself a masterful advertisement for some of the services on offer at a reasonable price.

+2 Shrewd: Elias knows the steps to this dance, neither too parsimonious nor too altruistic, striking the right balance to maximise their gratitude and minimise the expenditure in time and resources.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha

"Oi", Sasha scratched her cheek, "Both o' those sound plenty doable all right", she raised two fingers, "With a couple o' caveats ye should be aware of."

"First, we're meanin' ta actually get goin' southward at some point, so if ye want some peacekeepin'. it'll have to be a fairly brief affair. Second, regardless o' what ye might have heard, it's a pretty huge taboo to kill those who can't fight back among ogres, so if that second thing is some sort o' affair where we'll have to slaughter a bunch o' innocents, I'll have ta decline. We'll take and trash their stuff of course, and deal with anyone who puts up a fight, but no killin' fer the sake o' it."

"So as long as all o' that's understood, we might as well get to the details of this work you have fer us, if yer still interested. Might as well start with the one with more action and better pay."

Theantero fucked around with this message at Jan 30, 2017 around 15:04

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002



Karla

The sounds and jarring nature of this coming Hunt awoke Karla with a start. She had mostly avoided most people, but it would seem they had stumbled upon her. Quickly stretching out with her senses, Karla also felt for the animals and tried to discern the nature of this encounter. Were they looking for man or Beast? For her? Would she need to hide if they proved cruel?


Using: Eye of the Sun <Perceptive [+2]> and Soul of the Beast <Animal Empathy[+2]> . Their animals will have some feeling for what their masters expect. If they hunt an animal she could feel it, combined with her enhanced perception/senses she should get some idea hopefuly.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Victor

Victor nurses his beer and thinks about what he heard. Interesting. A bunch more leads, anyway. He still wanted to check out that earth spirit, but now there were a few other opportunities. That witch, for instance....what was that about? And what was going on with that monastery? Had the monks just left when the gods fell? If they had left, who knows what they had left behind. Monasteries had a reputation for being rich places, after all. And it was close. Maybe, since it was on the way anyway, he could check it out. He smiled as he finished his beer. Exactly. It was a plan.

Heading to the monastery and investigating..

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Casey

The people did not start to try and put out the fire, but some of them did stop shouting and moved away a bit. Casey barely registered this as she darted into the burning building. The room you ran into was a large warehouse, dominated by a giant metal machine. It had many tubes and strange parts sticking out, as well as several pipes. Rounding a corner to avoid flames you came across the figure of the professor, lying on the floor. Standing above him was a figure made entirely out of steam. It looked at you with, what you thought, might be an expression of curiosity.

And then it spoke. Its voice was whispy and ethereal, but undeniable.

"Who...are you? And why are you here?"

12:56 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 12 = 2d6(6,4)+2
Casey avoids getting burned!


John

Mist-Tail smoothed his fur a little bit and washed his face and feat, before coming with you. The journey out of town took you along a path which crossed a small stream and had numerous small shrubs. The house was not a manor in more than mere technicality, and there was only a single figure in the yard. A middle aged man starting to grey in his hair and beard, dressed in a simple but warm looking coat. As you approached he put down his gardening tool and stood up from what was revealed to be a small vegetable garden.

He walked towards you and waved at you, indicating that he had seen you.


Moonrat

Starlight seemed to consider it, then mentally shrugged as her face changed imperceptibly. "I currently have no other tasks to attend to, and I will not be seen by these people again." She did not say that she would not be in this town again, but the comment was an acknowledgement of her skill and potential without any hubris.

The man was surprisingly an ogre. A large ogre at that, although not in the traditional sense that ogres were usually large. He clearly lacked not for the fineries in life. Perhaps it was the difference in size, perhaps it was something more predatory in the man. Whatever it was however, there was an aura about him that seemed to be overwhelming. Starlight straightened slightly in response, surprising you that she both felt the same flash of intimidation as you and that she showed it. It was easier to overcome the sensation and ignore it once you began talking.

"Yer a long ways from 'ome my little friends. A long ways from yer queen n' country too. What brings you all this way?


12:57 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 8 = 2d6(1,3)+4

Things have not gone badly but you do not have a strong starting position. This local crime baron is confident in his power and wants you to know that.


Elias

The lords and ladies were clearly unimpressed that you had waltzed in just to waltz out again so soon, but the fact that you had come to assist at all seemed to ameliorate that somewhat. Their response was swift and direct though, the dilemma apparently being one that had been discussed in great length.

"The foolish commoners have burned several warehouses of grain and vegetables. Once we have forced them to regain their senses, they will find themselves hungry and faced with starvation. The great houses will be fed, but the poor may find the markets to costly for their needs." One man began coolly, before his point was continued by a lady. "This of course will only lead to more rioting and death. If you have surplus food from the harvest left, then we would purchase it. We are prepared to accept a certain markup, which will naturally be passed on to the peasantry in due time via taxes." The assembled figures nodded in grim satisfaction.

"Otherwise lumber or stone would also be of use. By the time any detachments from Aubrecht can arrive we will have re-instituted the rule of law. It is what follows that we will need."

12:59 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 6 = 2d6(1,1)+4
Your previous success influenced this outcome, turning it from a failure to a slim success.


Sasha

Petrus considered your words for a moment. "It is best to leave one's enemies alive, so you can enjoy knowing they must live with their defeat. It enriches your own victory. A longer term contract would be more desirable for me, but no matter. If you decide later that you would care to negotiate for easier work then I am sure I will have use for competent soldiers." He said and looked at your ship. "If you require supplies, you will find that our stockpiles are one of the few places to purchase them from. Of course we can negotiate that into the contract. Since your time is limited, and you specialise in swift actions, I have one thing I would like you to do..."

The young lord explained to you what it was. One of the houses in the city, the Whiteseers, held onto some old records that held both useful and embarrassing information for his house. He wanted you to break open their estate, and their vault, so that his soldiers could seize these records. Should you agree to the contract, there would be a fair rate of looting on your part included in the attack, with the rest of the wealth captured naturally belonging to Petrus.

"I have often heard of some strange chamber, hidden deep below the estate and even under the vault. Rumors of dark practices to outlawed and even forgotten deities performed in that place. If it does exist, I would be curious to see it."


Karla

The beasts and their masters hunt for a man, but the way they hunted was clumsy and inefficient. You had often heard that the peoples of these lands sometimes hunted criminals for sport. Or at least men and women that they did not care for. Perhaps this was what was happening?

Your anger stirred again, that lust for violence and vengeance on those that wronged you calling out to punish them.

1:02 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 8 = 2d6(3,1)+4
More lower rolls will cause you to succumb to the curse, but if choose to willingly succumb I will give you a Destiny Point for it. Escaping the situation or rolling higher will fight off the curse.


Victor

You traveled south in the morning, following directions given to you by more sober townsfolk. There was a reasonably well traversed path to the monastery and it was not hard to find, although it took you much of the day to travel there. When you arrived there was time left in the day, but the sky had begun to burn with the dying sun.

The monastery was absolutely still and quiet. Something about the place made the hairs on the nape of your neck stand on end, and made you feel tense and apprehensive.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John - Outside of the manor

John continued forward, trying his best to look calm and composed. He calls out in a respectful tone, "Good day, sir. We are here to see the master of the house. I was informed he was the leading authority on dragons."

No skills that really apply here.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragomir - Griesaze

At the captain’s words, the lizardman’s face immediately dropped into a small frown. It would have been one thing if the captain had denied his suggestion, but to be held back by something like this was… somewhat irritating, he had to admit. Tapping his feet and swishing his tail back and forth, Drago paced around the ship, not at all quiet as he thought.

“Merchants, merchants… what can be done about merchants… merchants like… coin? Yet Drago has such little coin, not nearly enough to satisfy. But if they do not agree, then neither will the captain, and if the captain does not agree…”

Letting out a snort, the lizardman whipped around, and returned his attention back to Captain Friedrich.

“Is it possible for Drago to meet with these two troublesome passengers? Perhaps they can be convinced? Drago admits his tongue is not made of silver, but perhaps if the situation is properly explained to them, they will be willing to listen.”

And if they didn’t, then… well, Drago would figure it out then.

Asking the captain if I can meet with these jerks. Might as well at least try and talk things out with them.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Victor

This wasn't good. Victor felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Maybe this was a bad idea. Or maybe he was just a superstitious fool. He had come this far, after all. It would be s shame to turn back now. Swallowing, he puts his shoulders back and begins to explore the monastery.

Exploring

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Moonrat

Moonrat stood and bowed politely, both as a matter of respect and to hide his surprise at this unexpected individual. He harbored no real grievances with the small mountains, but it was always a little offputting to be so incredibly dwarfed in size. Immensely curious that an ogre had taken control of the local syndicate. There was technically no prohibition against such a thing, but ratlings were, as a rule, very much opposed to taking any kind of orders from another species. Either this was a man to be respected for overcoming that prejudice, or one to fear for crushing any dissent. Either way, it seemed incredibly likely that Cat-Strangler was very very dead.

"Hail, sir. We are, indeed, a ways off from home and queen. As for country, is is difficult to be near a place that does not exist." He was careful in his words. It was tempting to cop an attitude, but that would be both counterproductive and it was almost certain the ogre was testing him. He might also have honestly not meant anything by that 'country' comment.

"Introductions, if I may. I am Pale-Shadow-in-Moonlight. Moonrat is acceptable if you prefer." He motioned towards the assassins. "My associates, Fleeting-Whisper and Burrows-in-Starlight. I am sent on behalf of our queen in the wake up the calamitous events that so recently passed, to take stock of our people and lend assurances that business will proceed." That was a loaded statement, and the ogre surely well knew it. It was a polite way of saying, The Queen yet lives, so no getting any funny ideas. "I would be much obliged if you could spare some time to bring me up to speed on the happenings around here."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company


Casey

Huh. Steam Ghost. That's... that's new. Casey blinks a few times.

"I'm Casey," she tells the floating figure, even as she approaches to kneel down and check the vital signs of the fallen professor. There are several possible explanations for what happened here that she can think of, and not all of them involve the professor being dead, so she'd better check on the poor guy before going any further; she is, theoretically, here to try and do the right thing, and letting this poor sap burn up because she got distracted by Steam Ghost seems like it might not be that right. Still, she moves slowly, so that she can stop (and/or dodge) if Steamhead over here seems to take exception... "I'm here because I thought there might be someone in here who needed help, what with the whole fire and all. Um... who're you? I have never met a steam-person before."

How stable does the warehouse structure look? I'm assuming there's not a ton of time to chat before we're going to have to run like hell, but it'd be good to have a clearer idea.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha

Sasha sneered for a bit. "Dark practices, ey? Smells of magickry it does. That kind of thing has a bad rap with us ogres you know, so yeh, I'd like to smash anyone or anything involved in such", she nodded, "Yeh, sounds good enough. We'll take the job."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

He nodded his assent, and, with a gesture, beckoned one of his honour guard to hand him a satchel containing writing supplies.

"So be it. I am composing orders to my people: We shall see what surplus food is available, and will share what we have. On more certain ground, we are not short of building material, particularly fine quarried stone, and will expedite that and lumber along with the food we can spare on the next barques to come down. Better we tighten our belts a little than have our neighbour starve."

He blotted the ink dry, and affixed his waxen seal and sigil, carefully placing the document in an envelope and sealed that as well. He handed the missive over to the assemblage,

"Entrust this to those who can reach Aubrecht the swiftest, surest and safest, and our bounty shall be yours. I will see about procuring more food on the return leg as well, when I pass back through on the way home. In these troubled times, we stand together."

Setting in motion the resupply operation, apprising his cousin-wife of the situation and needs.

+2 Leader: Issuing orders to his people at home to expedite the matter in accordance with what can be spared, with a note on fair pricing.

+2 Educated: This is a matter of logistics and city management, of knowing what Aubrecht is likely to have spare, and how swiftly it can be conveyed downriver once the orders arrive.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


John

The man seems to raise his eyebrows slightly in disguise, but nods and looks at the manor. After making a decision a few seconds later he turns back. "Of course, please follow me. I cannot say whether the Master will be in a mood to entertain but you have walked far to reach here and you can at least relax in the waiting room." He said and waited for you to approach and follow. The inside of the house felt...surprisingly empty even given how small it was although not for a lack of furnishing. While there was no dust on objects, it was clear that much of the house saw little use. The dining room that you passed on the way into the waiting room, and the waiting room itself both were clearly infrequently used.

You were asked to wait patiently, although the manservant put a kettle of water on to heat before he left. Several minutes later, as the water was coming up to a boil he returned.

"The master will be down shortly. I do apologise for not having any sweets or pastries, we do not often receive guests."


Dragomir

The captain blinked. "Of course. I'm not running a prison trawl here." He said with surprise that you felt the need to ask. "Mind you, some of them might not appreciate the intrusion into their 'valuable time'." The way in which this was said spoke volumes about his opinion of them. "None of the rooms can be locked but if they've gone and done something daft like barricade the door let me know and I'll fetch my first mate. Some fools try it, and it's liable to get them killed in a swell."


Victor

The door of the monastery was slightly ajar, so slipping inside of it was simple once you had pushed the gates open enough to pass through. The whole place seemed eerily still and silent, and you passed through rooms that had obviously been used until just a couple of days ago. There was a lot of chaos, which was probably due to despair over the war in the heavens, but otherwise it had seemed fine enough.

A room or two further towards the back though and the the stench hit you. There was a dead body ahead, and given the intensity of the foul odour, you would hazard that there was more than just the one...


Moonrat

The ogre cocked his head to the side slightly and smiled. "Let me jus' say that tha' 'ead count is...greatly diminished. The past few weeks 'ave proven that the old fam'lies are unfit to rule an' so meself and a like minded cabal of equals 'ave decided to...redistribute power." He chuckled nastily and then his face almost contorted as it quickly turned grim and serious. Taking advantage of his great size he leaned in forwards, seeming to loom even more.

"Now 'ere be what 'appens next. Yer pet 'ead taker is gonna keep her weapons an' paws to 'erself. Lest something...unfor'tunate 'appens to yer friends. Then ye will tell me what yer really doin' 'ere."


Casey

"I am new. The professor called me, and I came. Came into being, came here...it is confusing. You Move differently to me. He is injured, and his time will stop soon. Can you aid him?" The figure asked and looked around. "Soon it will be too hot for me to Move and I will have to return. It was quiet and dark and cold." There was a kind of duality where the figure seemed both child-like and alien, at the same time, which made it difficult to discern its intentions or motivations.


Sasha

"Good. While you and your crew finish boarding and whatever preparations you need, I will see that I can acquire a detachment of guards to assist you." Petrus said and, unless you had something further for him immediately, would move off to do just that. He seemed to take your intention to move on at face value, or wished to try and wring more jobs out of you perhaps.


Elias

The letter of authority would ensure that supplies and provisions would be released as swiftly as possible. There would naturally be logistics and other matters to work out but such things were ultimately beneath the attention of a ruler such as yourself. With the letters composed and signed the other nobles present seemed to relax a little. After a moment one of them asked;

"So lord Autarch, where are you headed? Surely your people will need your guidance after the recent trouble in the heavens?"

9:33 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 12 = 2d6(2,6)+4
The lords of Warchen will remember your aid.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

"I made sure to give my people comfort and succour before I even considered this venture, sparing no expense. If my house was not in order, I would not be here. Likewise, if they were not stewarded by wise and capable hands, I would never have set out. My wife is regent in my stead until my return, I know full well she can be trusted completely and implicitly, and is well suited to the duty. As to my destination, I am not at liberty to make a full disclosure, but to an ally I can reveal we will be headed north along the western coast."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Moonrat

Moonrat listened, outwardly calm. Inwardly, a cold fury began to overtake him. He blinked slowly and rallied his self control.

"I really am unclear as to what your quarrel is with me, sir. I have been nothing but polite and respectful. But if this is how things must be..." Moonrat turned his head and nodded to Starlight. "Please do as he asks and keep your blades sheathed. I would very much thank you for it."

Moonrat looked up at the ogre, staring him dead on. He squared his shoulders, hands clasped behind his back and in easy reach of a blade. The aura of menace had only slightly diminished but anger was swiftly tossing that concern aside. He wanted this ogre dead. But patience. He needed to learn of this 'like-minded cabal' first and know their intentions. Killing the messenger now would at best leave him nothing but a dead end. At worst, he'd be fighting off every hatchetman in the city.

"It is as I have stated. The world seems to have only narrowly evaded cataclysm. The Queen wishes to know how her subjects fare. If you and your associates have taken over business here, so be it. That is not my concern. But I do need to know how things stand here in Lybin and who is calling the shots at your side. A matter of practicality. We cannot respect any claim you make here unless we also know who is permitted to represent you in future dealings."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha

Sasha looked on for a bit, shrugged, and brought a hand on the shoulder of one of the few ogres she still had standing besides herself. "Oi, that's it I guess? How 'bout ye two go gather up the company. Shouldn't be too hard, knowing them they've managed to home to the nearest dockside pub already, HAH!"

"Can't really blame them, but drinks are for later. We've got some work to do."


OOC: Nothing in particular I want to get done atm. Scene change ahoy~

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002



Karla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ZhlVQ370c

The horns. The soundss...

Janite.
or
Foe.

Her people dying and burning....There would be no mercy this time. "NO!" Karla rasped, a tiny sound against the rush of blood. Black blood. Muscles corded and knotted. Strength and speed flooding them, her eyes sharpened inhumanly to strike and rend. She clawed at the earth, reaching for the light only to find darkness.

"Yessssss...!". The Beast trilled. It called to the animals too.
"<TELL US WHERE THEY ARE> "

The blade left it's scabbard, a howl more and less than human ripping from her throat. Fear and anger. Hatred and murder. *They did this.* *She could stop them.*
The voice whispered that and more as she ran. *Vengeance for the fallen, *death to the invader! *Kill. *Rend. *Maim. *Eat their hearts and drink their essence. Only then can you know....peace.




She succombs. Emotional lycanthropy <Cursed [-2]>

I am Communist fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2017 around 06:05

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John

John sits down in the seat that was presented him. When the butler returned, smiled graciously, and responded as pleasantly as possible, "There's no need to apologize, your master is more than generous for taking time from his studies to meet with us." He looked forward to see just what sort of man this noble was.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragomir - Griesaze

“Drago only wished to be certain, as rules must be respected. But one captain’s rules is not like all captains, just as Drago is not like all lizardfolk.”

That piece of apparent wisdom out of the way, Drago gave a short nod and bow to Captain Friedrich before heading towards the cabins. While he was unfamiliar with the merchants in question, the lizardman mostly having kept to himself on this voyage, a word or two with various crew members led him to the right room. Reaching for the door for a moment, Drago paused after a second of thought, before knocking twice.

“Pardon Drago for the rudeness, but would merchants allow Drago in? There is a concern about the matter of supplies that Drago feels must be addressed, and speaking is much easier when face is to face. Also, captain has said that it is dangerous if merchants have blockaded door for some reason. If you have done so, Drago advises to not.”

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Elias
The nobles seemed surprised by your choice in destination, but seemed content enough with your aid and did not inquire further. At least not directly, you had no doubt that their spies and servants would keep an eye on you for a while after your return.

With that business concluded, for the time being there was little reason to remain in Warchen to keep up appearances and good will. Unless Elias had anything else in mind, he could begin sailing up the coast. Your next stop was Yaeven, the coastal port at the end of the river Wol and connected the city of Warchen to the ocean.


Moonrat

The ogre returned back to his seat, and the room seemed to breathe again, a little. "Well. Let me see...we dun need yer queen mind, we got th' entire south coast. But even so. There ain' no sense in cuttin' off entire like. Aye. We'll do business, but mind you we'll be askin' for a bigger cut than b'fore." But despite the supposed physical relaxing of the ogre, his face was still sharp and serious.

"My patience runs thin, ratling. You ain't here for no court'sey call."


Sasha

It took a few bells to round up the guards and your crew, to get things ready and to move into position. The estate belonged to a family of richer and more influential patrons in the old regimes you were told, but such old affiliations and powers did not remain important in the post-divine era as young Petrus came to call it. It was once a beautiful white stone estate, with great gardens and ornate walls with brass gates. The stones and the garden were now scorched by fire, although the main estate remained fire. The gates had been knocked down, but a make-shift barricade had been erected immediately behind them. It would be enough to prevent rioters from penetrating the compound, but for your raiders you felt confident you could break through.

The afternoon grew colder as the sun sunk into the sky colouring it red.


Karla

You were confused and in your rage, figures of people seemed to become like demons of Janite making. There was yelling and screaming, and blood. The coppery taste of blood filled the air and your throat, and eventually you came out of your rage to a scene of carnage. There were some fleeing horses in the distance, but many were lying on the ground in the area around you dead. Some had crushed their riders, others were some distance from what Karla would not know were the riders for the horses. It seemed at first that the party had thought they could fight you, before realising in horror what a monster you were as they had begun to be butchered.

There's the sound of a young man breathing rapidly and panicked, coming from behind on of the horses. For all you know he might be the only survivor here.

1:35 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 17 = 2d6(6,5)+4+2
I wasn't sure exactly
what you were rolling for here, but I took it the drawback and added it onto a roll to hunt the hunting party.
Gain 1 Destiny Point[/b]



John

The lord Carwen Monterran was a man in his middle years, grey touching his brown hair. His eyes were somewhat sunken in shadows and his clothing had been smoothed but was clearly too stiff, as if it had hardly been worn. The scent of perfume was strong around him, indicating he had just put it on and his hair was damp and had obviously just been combed.

To John's professional eye the man had clearly been absorbed in his books and needed sleep and food.

"Greetings guests, Tomar tells me that you have traveled to consult me on the matter of dragons? It is a topic I hold no small passion for, but also one with a smaller interest among people these days."


Dragomir

"Leave me be." Comes the voice of an imperious woman from inside, muffled by the wooden door. "I have no time to deal with the mindless palaver of a witless reptile and I have paid the captain more than a handsome some to be conveyed." There was the sound of steps moving towards the door, but nothing else happened immediately afterwards. No one opened it to greet Dragomir.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John

John thought back to all of the times he'd had to play nice with the politicians visiting the department, and tried to keep an appropriately respectful demeanor. "Yes. I had heard you know more about the subject that anyone this side of Lustrium. Now, I'm sure you would like to be back to your studies as quickly as possible, so let me cut to the heart of the matter. I have come across some information strongly indicating that there is a dragon in this general area, and I was wondering if you might have any information on the subject." He tries to smile, and hopes the noble didn't ask where this information came from. Mist-Tail might believe his story, but John had no faith a random stranger would believe he'd received a vision from the last remaining god.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Moonrat

A bigger cut? A bigger cut? The arrogance. The unabashed gall to speak to him like this.

"I was here on a courtesy call. But I have been given very little courtesy." Moonrat's tail thrashed angrily behind him. "Instead I have been presented with naught but snide insinuations. You think I've come to kill you, don't you. As if you were important enough for me to waste my precious time on. If my purpose had been your death I would not have sent for you, or elected to speak with you. I would have simply given an order and you would not have woken up tomorrow. I certainly would not have come in person."

Moonrat's eyes narrowed. In his own tongue, he spoke. "We're leaving. If this worm tries anything, we gut him." Shifting back to the common tongue he again addressed the ogre. "My own patience also wears thin. You've made your position clear and we've nothing more to discuss. Good day."

He so dearly wanted to whip a dagger into the ogre's eye. But he was not a fighter. He struck from the shadows, not in the open. It would be a poor proposition to engage like this.

Moonrat will watch the ogre as his guards and assassins start to leave. He'd rather not get into a fight but he won't back down if it comes to it. His pride has been wounded now, and blood will spill before that wound is assuaged.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

It was difficult to sell cargo in a period of ongoing civil unrest, and so the voyage continued. He ordered an eye kept to the fore to see how badly the unrest was impacting one of the key locations along the Aub-Wol waterway systems, hopefully matters would be more in hand. If not, then they needed readiness for whatever was required to proceed through the Wol delta unassailed.

He drilled the retinue, and went over the route with the crew of the Barque. They had a great deal of distance to cover, and, as would be expected of one born to privilege, he was impatient to get to grips with the heart of their mission.

-2 Abrasive: Pushy nobles make for annoying passengers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company


Casey

Okay, well, that actually clears a few things up. At least this isn't, like, the professor's Steam Ghost or something. "I'm going to try to aid him, at least," Casey tells the apparition, moving to gently lift the old fellow's unmoving body - carefully, lest he have a broken back that she's just making worse or something. "Are you... is there anything I can do to help you? Preferably something that doesn't involve me being caught on fire or something?"

Regardless of the apparition's response, Casey prepares to get the professor out of the burning warehouse. If she can get this thing out too, cool; if not, that would be a shame, but her first priority is the helpless living being.

Lithe [+2] to, again, get out without being burned, hopefully with the hurt guy in tow. She'll try and help the steam ghost thing if she can, but presumably this building should start falling over before much longer and so it's important to not be inside when that happens.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha

Sasha leaned on her club lazily as she went though the plans to her company, gathered in a semicircle, the guard standing close by.

"Oi. This ought to be a simple enough affair, not the first estate we've trashed and hopefully not the last either, HAH!" She gesticulated a little bit as she continued, "We've got some wooden barricades we've got to breach. Not a big deal, we'll use the usual shock-troop tactics, Ogres breach, and you guys", she nodded at the guard, " will then rush in and spread out so that we don't get hemmed in at the gate. We'll use the firefist breachin' maneuver, throwing flaming bottles o' flammable oils at the barricades since no Ogre is scared or harmed by little bits of flame, but humans and their thin skins decidedly are. No real risk of the fire spreading either since the entire courtyard is ashes already."

"Any questions? No? Good."


OOC: Breaching the estate.

Using Warlord [+2] since this is not Sasha's first bout at Estate raiding, and Strong [+2] since Ogre's are strong and good at bowling through simple barricades like this.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002



Karla

Karla knelt. Tears streaked her bloody cheeks as her body was wracked with sobs after the exertions her berserk curse put upon her. Yet she didn't feel sorrow inside. Just empty. Cold. She shivered as she held herself. As soon as she regained some steadiness, Karla looked over to where the quarry these men had been chasing hid. It wasn't right. People hunting people. The hypocrisy wasn't lost on her. She would laugh if she could at the absurdity of it. Licking her lips she spit out the coppery taste.

Her throat hurt. "Hello?" She called gently, not yet standing. "Are you alright?"


Let's see who we saved then.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Victor

Victor wraps a rag over his face. Corpses? The monks, no doubt. Did they kill themselves after the gods were killed? Or was it something else? He's more cautious now, and draws a knife from his belt. He moves forward slowly, his eyes darting back and forth, wary and watching for any sign of the unexpected.

Continuing to explore....cautiously

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragomir - Griesaze

Such rudeness! To insult Drago by calling him witless was one matter (though the reptile part bounced off him, as to him it was simply what he was), and to accuse him of palaver was quite another! Not that the lizardman knew what the word meant, but it was apparent enough that it was no compliment. But as the footsteps approached the doorway, Drago felt his spirit begin to rise hopefully, and then fall again as the door remained closed. Very well, he thought, if the merchant wishes to play stubborn, then so will Drago. Sitting opposite from the door with his legs crossed, Drago loudly cleared his throat, and then began to speak.

“Ahem! Since Miss Merchant has chosen to keep Drago out, Drago shall continue his thoughts from the hallway. The issue is as such, Miss Merchant: there are not enough supplies for all aboard ship to complete the full journey, and Drago must make this journey. As counterplan, Drago then proposes to the captain that supplies should be rationed, at the very least until ship reaches Yaevan. Captain agrees, but says that Miss Merchant would never agree.

Now, Drago understands that Miss Merchant would wish to eat and drink well on what voyage remains. However, consider this, Drago asks: If supplies run out, then ship can not move. If ship can not move, then Miss Merchant cannot finish journey. And if Miss Merchant cannot finish journey, then she cannot make coin! Unless she would like to walk rest of way, but as Drago is hesitant to do so, it is doubtful that Miss Merchant is willing either. Thus, it is in the best interests of all that Miss Merchant agrees to Drago’s plan to ration! Does she not agree?”

His overtly long spiel finished, the lizardman sat back, waiting to see if he got a response. If not… then he would begin again. And again. Indeed, he had full intent on waiting here for as long as he had to. But surely, the merchant would see the sense in Drago’s plan? If her desire was to make a profit, then she must understand that something had to be done about the supplies?

That was a lot of broken words to basically say: Drago is attempting to logically (?) break down the fact that it’s in the merchant’s best interests in the long run to just go with the ration plan, at least until Yaevan where hopefully there’ll be more supplies. If she doesn’t say anything, then Drago’s gonna just creepily hang outside her room and repeat his argument until she either agrees or (more likely) yells at him to bugger off.

Resolute [+2] - This entire plan is more or less Drago beating his head against a brick wall and hoping it works. Thankfully, the lizardman can be fairly stubborn about things like this when it counts!

Naivete [-2] - On the other hand, this entire plan is kind of awful, and hinges on the hope that the merchant will eventually just cave in and essentially cut her losses. Surely she’ll agree after Drago repeats his inane argument for the third time in a row though?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


John

The face of the noble seemed to visibly illuminate and he grew energised, moving around with a kind of nervous energy. "Well yes of course. There have been numerous tales of dragon sightings and raids in this region for centuries. Even though the last known sighting was over 80 years ago I have been able to use the many stories and records to isolate the dragon to this region. I had been preparing a trip to go and locate its lair and see if there might be anything left of its horde. While I am sure that looters have picked what remains of it fairly clean, there may be certain artefacts that they did not realise the value of. Older accounts of it tell..."

The scholar continued to talk about old facts and stories for a few minutes, and you realised something as he spoke. He seemed to be sure that the dragon was dead, and likely had been for some time.

"...of course it is fortunate for our safety, if not for scientific and historic inquiry, that the dragon is dead. They were known to be dangerous creatures, possessed of the strength of many beasts, toxic breath, claws that could rend flesh like thin paper."


Moonrat

As you left the ogre's den, you noticed a few people conspicuously hanging around and looking at the goings on. While difficult tell whether they were possible allies or enemies, they seemed less interested in the pair of you and more with the ogre. He seemed to be an...unpopular figure, if the expressions they shared with each other were any indication.

Later when Moonrat returned to his travelling companions he would find that they had not been detained, nor had they any indication they had been in danger. Fleeting Whisper seemed unsure whether to be amused or insulted by the notion that he would allow himself to be held hostage by such amateurs. It seemed the ogre had been bluffing outrageously.

(This last note does not preclude you from doing anything before that; it is just a note for when you do meet up with the rest of the group)


Elias

The trip to Yaevan was to your own person, uneventful. For those around you it was, as was not infrequently the case, a more tiring and difficult affair. You could see towns and villages along the river banks along your journey. They seemed to lack the destructive chaos that had wracked the capital, but the small communities seemed to have suffered if the hard and tired expressions of people along the banks watching you pass were any indicator.

After two days you arrived at the port of Yaevan. This would be the last major port until Lho-Rhydia so if you had any major business to conduct it would be best to do so. Otherwise your subordinates would conduct the work of stocking up on supplies for the journey.

I am not sure what you were trying to achieve with the drawback specifically, so I ignored it and added it in as flavour.


Casey

"I require a vessel, a body that can contain me. The professor had found one before he fell. It is small but it will suffice." The steam figure gestured towards a teapot on the ground next to the professor. It was hot to the touch by now, but you could wrap a cloth around it and bear to touch it.

Making your way out of the workshop was difficult but you managed to make it. By the time you made it out the door, you could hear the creak of falling timber as part of the burning ceiling collapsed in. A blast of heat blew past you that made Casey feel weak for a moment. But with some effort you dragged yourself and the professor over to a wall of a building nearby, but a distance from the inferno.

1:00 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 8 = 2d6(4,2)+2


Sasha

The entrance to the estate was rapid and brutal. These human guards had never had to deal with anything more than an angry peasant or an annoying noble, and they were no match to the blitzkreig-like rush of Sasha and her soldiers. You breached into the main estate quickly and easily. There would be some resistance remaining, but probably not so much that the young human noble's guards could not handle. You yourself still had to locate the vault, and perhaps this undergound chamber...if such rumours held any real weight.

1:00 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 11 = 2d6(1,6)+4
Any further combat in this place you'll get a terror bonus to.



Karla

You caught a glimpse of the young man as he ducked around the dead horse. He was a gangly youth, late in his teens with the scrabbly whiskers of a young man beginning to grow out his face. The blonde haired figure was dressed in light riding leathers, but the one look you got of his eyes showed an intense and deep terror of you. If Karla had known more about the ways of the city-peoples, she might have recognised that the leathers and a coat of arms indicated him to be some kind of squire and minor attendant to a lord.

Despite his evasion, it would be easy to corner him to press him for information, if Karla wished.

The young man will avoid you where he can, but Karla is better at this than him so it is easy to pin him down if you want.


Victor

The next room held a dead body, a dozen in fact, as you had expected. Judging by the positions and lack of injuries, along with the cups next to each figure, they had apparently drunk a poison in a suicide pact. It was not the cleanest death, but there were worse ways to go you supposed.

Then out of the corner of your eye you thought you spotted a light. No...not a light. A figure, of some kind of white-ish blue light perhaps? It had quickly moved out of sight into a room attached to this one.


Dragomir

The woman was less a merchant and more a noblewoman, gone to journey to the estate of another cousin to ride out the political turmoil that would envelop Tamora with the death of the gods. But in the edge, grudgingly she accepted your arguments that rationing was needed. She however would only acquiesce to this arrangement if she had slightly more, and the better pick of what food was available, than the other passengers (yourself definitely included). Despite the absurdity of this it seemed unlikely that she would be convinced further without some other means of persuasion, or by force if necessary. But it was also not something that could not be managed. The woman had accepted your arguments, she just needed to maintain her face and illusion of her own self-importance. Even if that difference was just a small token extra helping.

1:00 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 7 = 2d6(6,1)+0
The woman is mostly being difficult for the sake of being difficult now, but you were successful so she will accept the rationing as long as she gets a little bit extra than anyone else. By her reasoning she still paid more.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John

John nodded along with the noble's explanation, trying to soak up any information he could. Once the noble was finished John asked, "Perhaps you would like some accompaniment on your expedition? I'm interested to see this lair for myself, and I'm sure you realize how unstable things have become due to recent 'events'. I am formerly of the Lustrian guard, so I should be able to offer some protection if we meet anyone unpleasant on the trail."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002



Karla

Karla shook her head. Wrong. The boy saw it and hated her, she thought bitterly. "GO!" she shouted at him sadly. He would be better off that way and so would she. Without even acknowledging the boy any further, she set about gathering the belongings of the slain men and saddlebags. She didn't know who they were, any markings of their tribe wouldn't mean much. And what she regarded as language were more like symbols. She would find anything useful for her journey and leave this place quickly.

Karla could not undo what had been done. She could imagine the Beast laughing somewhere in the dark place it resided...


Using: Perception +2 to search the slain for useful stuff. Telling the boy to go, holding him hostage isn't really where her sadness and shame are taking her at the moment.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company


Casey

"...of course it'd contain you. Silly of me not to have noticed before." Stripping a cloth mantle from about her shoulders, Casey wraps up the teapot and lifts it, showing the steam spirit. "Hop in, then; I'll try and get you both out."

Hopefully the spirit does as asked; either way, though, Casey is soon outside, setting the professor against a wall and doing what she can to tend to the fallen man. She's sweating like... well, like someone who just ran out of a burning building, and the morning breeze sets her to shivering despite the fire's warmth.

"Don't be dead, mister, I went to a lot of effort to make you not be dead. Also, drat, where am I going to put you?"

Let's see if Casey is Magically Talented [+2] enough to know any healing charms that actually work and aren't superstitious folklore.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

Stocking up for the trip was the major concern, but selling some of the trade cargo was an additional objective, seeing if we could get a good price to even up the scales. Other than that, plotting the course to Lho-Rydia and asking for news both local and distant It was good to see this town still functioning given the prior turmoil, but it was a waypoint on the journey. There was little time to sightsee.

Onwards was the intent, onwards was the order.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Moonrat

As he and Burrows-In-Starlight took their leave, Moonrat could not help but notice the dark looks being cast at the ogre. Whoever he was working with, it didn't seem to have won him many friends. Small wonder, with interpersonal skills like that. There was a time and a place for threats and obstinance, but that had not been one of them. It was true that Moonrat himself was not the most impressive looking fellow - especially to an ogre. But in this sort of work, you always had to remember that looks were deceiving. It was also true that perhapos the queen's reach was not so great that the ogre had much to fear from them. But again, it was never wise to assume anything. That's how people got themselves killed.

They walked for a few moments in silence, but eventually Moonrat made up his mind.. Glancing to his companion, he spoke up quietly in their native tongue. "Rejoin your master. See if anything has happened to him and the guards, and inform him of what occurred in this meeting. I'll catch up in a little while once I have checked in on some things." Moonrat glanced about to ensure they weren't being watched and slipped off into a side alley, doubling back. He couldn't match the ogre in a fight, no. But that had never been his purpose in the organization. His was the way of silence and shadow. Robbery and espionage. And a little blackmail when it came to it. Time to learn what this ogre valued, and make it his own if possible.

Thief [+2] and Nimble [+2] to take to the rooftops and follow this ogre to wherever he called home without being seen. And if Moonrat is able to listen in on other business he's conducting along the way, so much the better.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha

Sasha whistled and spun around her war club with her right hand (a feat made impressive by just how heavy that thing was) as she trampled the across the burnt courtyard, her eyes scanning the various buildings and their entrances. Eventually she beckoned with her free hand to summon the squad leaders.

"Oi, so here's the deal. A buncha buildings, with a vault o' records in one of them that we're supposed ta find, and possibly some sorta hidden chamber as an extra, so make sure to tap the floors and walls for secret entrances and such. We'll spare a couple boys ta scour the grounds too fer entrances outside the buildings proper. Ye guys got yer bugles?" the squad leaders showed their simple wind instruments, each making a unique tone, "Right, so if any of ye find either o' those things in yer given building, let the rest of us know. Wouldn't want ta storm a secret chamber o' evil without backup, HAH! Other than that, any questions? No? Good. We'll just divvy up the breaching points between ye all then. And don't forget to take our promised share of the loot either."

Plans were quickly concocted, after which the ogres spread to their given positions.

Sasha smiled as she approached her own, the largest building of the bunch. All in a day's work.


OOC: Warlord [+2] and Strong [+2] for basically the same reasons as before. Also my sweet terror bonus if there are peeps to punch.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragomir - Griesaze

Though his voice was now rather hoarse from his repeated lecturing, Drago stood proud at his relatively successful result. True, Miss Merchant Noblewoman was still demanding some extra rations, but only a token amount, and at least she had agreed. It was, the lizardman felt, likely the best outcome they were going to get. Cheerfully humming off-tune, Drago returned to the deck (or wherever Captain Friedrich may have wandered off to) to report in. Once found, Drago said,

“Good news, Captain! With clear logic and determination, Drago has managed to get Miss Merchant to agree to the rationing. Unfortunately, Miss Merchant still asks for extra, but as it is but a small amount, Drago is willing to sacrifice. Unless there is more problem that Drago does not know of, it seems that the ship should be able to set sail now, yes?”

OOC: Offering to give up part of my rations to appease the noblewoman. I’m imagining Drago is probably going to suffer from some kind of drawback as a result, but that’s fine, he’s a big lizardboy.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


John

The man seemed surprised at your suggestion, although pleasantly so. "There have not been...but maybe, what with the gods and all..." His sentences were in fragmented and disjointed. "Very well, I accept your generous offer although i must be honest that I have little to pay you with. My hopes are to recoup some of my lost wealth from the dragon's horde." This comment earned him a glance and a sigh from his servant. Apparently it was a long held fallacy or gamble.

"You may call me Carwen, there is no need to use my full title if we are to be partners in this endeavour." He said jovially.


Karla

The boy needed no further command to flee, and he did so. Karla would never know, but his future would be no brighter for this massacre. There were costs to each deed a person did, even if they would never know the price that others paid.

Largely from the contents of the dead riders and saddlebags there were multiple picnic sets, food that would soon perish if it had not already been ruined by blood and gore. There were some blankets and tables, as well as cushions and other things that Karla would have no use for. There were some restraints, as well as some spare clothes that were mostly blood soaked by the time she found them. Along with this were coins, which she would recognise even if she might not know the true value of them. They came in a variety of sizes, but most were either a ruddy yellow-gold or a brownish-copper hue.

The carnage would draw predators in time, and flies were already beginning to set in.

1:06 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 13 = 2d6(5,6)+2


Casey

Casey did not have anything that could dramatically affect the man's condition, but she could at least alleviate some pain and allow him to begin to wake. If he would die, or live, then it was already decided by chance. But he would at least survive a little longer if his demise was to be within the next day.

He began to cough and wheeze weakly as he stirred into wakefulness and his breathing changed from the slow and steady rhythm of someone unconscious or asleep.

1:06 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 11 = 2d6(4,5)+2


Elias

There was little market in Griesaze, people had no money to spend on luxuries or even more beyond the bare essentials. But they were happy enough to part with a few supplies, although your weakened finances from supporting Aubrecht meant they were too costly. You had enough to reach Lho-Rhydia, and prices would likely be better there.

Your journey was less peaceful than river waters. Elias may or may not find that he did not have the stomach for an ocean journey, but even if he was otherwise fine the few nights of stormy weather would test the resilience of the whole crew. A number of your attendants and advisers that you had brought along were not bright eyed and sluggish to respond for a day or two. But that was the worst of your journey and you arrived at Lho-Rhydia in the morning of the last day of the second week. Rations would last a little longer, perhaps to Tamora if you rationed them carefully, but Elias's crew would need to restock if they were to enjoy the trip with the comfort they had been afforded so far.

Lho-Ryhdia itself had the appearance of a town that had suffered similar difficulties to Worecht, but that had not spread as far or savagely. While there were burned down buildings, order had been restored and people were beginning to rebuild a sense of normality a month after the death of the gods. The world had not ended yet, and seemed to be content to continue on. It was a testament to human endurance, or to their ignorance...


Moonrat

Patience was needed, but not even a full hour after meeting you the ogre snuck out of the dive bar you had met him at. Clearly checking to see if he was being followed, he pulled over a large cloak and hood and moved among the back allies. You were able to follow him carefully, once or twice nearly losing sight but catching up soon after. He avoided crowded areas except for one part where he crossed a main street that bisected the town. He had travelled to another quarter, also filled with the poor but without the port commerce of the one you had been in.

He knocked on the door of an otherwise un-noteworthy house and whispered something, his head pressed against the door. After a pause he was admitted inside. Moonrat dropped down after confirming no one was around and hid himself. Pressing himself up to a crack in a boarded up window you could hear the voice of the Ogre from inside.

"I did what you asked. Now can I see him? If you have harmed in some way I swear to the burning mountain you won't walk away alive..."

1:06 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 11 = 2d6(2,5)+4


Sasha

Your search was brutal and efficient, a few more stray guards met their end but while you did find wealth scattered around it was not until some time that you found the vault. There was a flooring with a spiral tile pattern that was a little too hollow. While there was probably a mechanism to open it, a secret switch of some kind, a few blows with a mace or blunt instrument and a short drop allowed easy ingress.

The vault entrance was unsurprisingly still locked, and would take longer to enter being made out of steel and having some kind of locking mechanism. But there was a statue of a gargoyle nearby that bothered you. Going over to it and grimacing at the poor mockery of your people into this grotesque beast, you found by chance a switch that opened up a <i>second</i> door. Dank and musty air was sucked out for a moment, and it was dark shortly into the descent down following the stairs that had been revealed...

1:06 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 12 = 2d6(5,3)+4


Dragomir

The captain seemed to be relieved by your offer and began working with his first mate to calculate the rationing. While the trip was indeed a lean affair, Dragomir noticed that there seemed to be a rotation with the crew to share a little bit of extra food with you. They split the load a little more so that no one had to go critically low on food through the trip. No one enjoyed it, and tempers were short and tight by the time you reached your destination. Yaevan was a welcome sight for the travellers.

But for now Yaevan was your destinaton. You could move up stream to Leindor, the capital of Redovan, which you had worked out to be close or the closest settlement at least to where the library that Terminus had spoke of lay hidden. You would now need to work out how to get to there, or begin your search for the library here in Yaevan.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


John

"Very well, I am called John. I take it we should set out soon? I think we are in the calm before the storm in terms of what will come the near-apocalyse. People are still trying to figure out what to make of it, but if we tarry too long then we'll have to deal with the chaos as people stop being paralyzed with fear and indecision and start trying to carve out a new order in the world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company


Casey

"Oh good, you're not dead." Casey offers the stirring man a rueful little smile. "Where is your home, Professor? We need to get you behind closed doors before some of those people come back and decide to try lighting you on fire again."

Yes, he is probably going to be a bit confused, but hey, near-death experience and all.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »