Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon

Drakon returns the smarter guard's look, then squares up against the aggressive one. He didn't draw his own blade, through he suspected the magical sword he had gotten off of the elf would have been impressive, he was going to try and avoid killing his opponent, at least for now. He took in the guard held himself and his blade, and recognized the rudiments of the style as similar to the one he had been taught back in Lustrium, that was good. He know the basics of how the guard would move, and more importantly how he would react to his own movement which gave him an opportunity.

Raising his fists, Drakon charged forward, preparing a handful of attacks that were, in truth, a feint, meant to lure the guard's attention and leave him open to an attack from an unexpected axis. After all, the odds that he had fought someone with a prehensile tail before were pretty heavily in Drakon's favor, so there was no reason for the man to even guard against such an attack. It was for the best, Drakon wanted to end this quickly before the noise drew even more enemies to the fight. He could take them all if he had too, but if he could convince them to defect, atone for their misdeeds by joining his ranks, well that seemed like a much better start for a hero-king than cutting them all down in cold blood.

Drakon's trying to KO the opposing guard. City Guard[+2] to know the basics of how a guard like his target would fight in order to misdirect him so that his Prehensile Tail[+2] can land a knock-out hit the guard won't see coming. Using Dragon Strength and Dragon Endurance to help with the whole fighting a guy with a blade barehanded thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Moonrat

Humans. Hmph. Taking ratling coin, and no doubt disparaging the one who paid them in private. That was how all the other races were. At least elves didn't bother with such hypocrisy. Well, no matter. The round ears would get theirs eventually. For now he had more important matters to attend. He watched as the patrol passed and peered up at the manor. Quite the impressive digs. No doubt there was all sorts of things to abscond with as he went about his business. Moonrat unconsciously rubbed his palms together at the thought of it. He'd had no time to indulge is his favorite hobbies lately.

As his ears informed him of the patrol moving out of sight, he darted out and leapt towards a column abutting the building and dug a knife into the stonework. He carefully hauled himself upwards as he looked for a path of ingress. He avoided any windows emitting light - no sense giving the game away this soon.

Thief +2 to slip inside and make his way towards his target. Playing on Moonrat's Kleptomania might be appropriate as his greed overwhelm's his better sense.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha

Sasha snorted, but in a good-natured sort of way.

"Oi oi, ye don't need ta be coy with me wizzard, we ogres aren't known fer beating about the bush. Speak yer terms."

Affable [+2] and Beautiful [+2] to keep talking about the staff and maybe figure out what he wants for it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Elias

Castier did not react but you got the impression he approved...or did not disapprove of your choice at least. "If your mind is not as malformed as your body then you will need to be vigilant. Beware those that sit outside the world, watching for a way to enter. Do not open them a door. When they come, steer your people away from gods. They do not need them, and gods are the binding that people willingly place themselves within." Then he smiled, a sarcastic and bitter smile. "None of this will make sense to you. I will not explain. If what I fear will come to pass does, then you may deduce of what I speak."

If you want anything else from Castier particularly you will need to specifically ask him. While he does not feel the need to be forthright, he is not currently uncooperative either. I also could use some direction from you about what specifically you want so I can try to cater the story around it.

Drakon

It was not much of a fight, the guy was more bravado than danger and he quickly realised it. Having a weapon let him bully the villages but it did not avail him much against your hide. His sword was not of great quality and did little except give little nicks and scratches on your skin and clothing. When he pulled out a dagger and stabbed you, it got stuck and was left protruding awkwardly out of your shoulder. It had penetrated your skin a little but was a minor inconvenience, the pain dull and easily ignored. Once he had spent himself against you, Drakon was able to quickly bash him with his tail and then punch him in the gut. The man was winded and stunned, not seriously injured but taken out of the fight and would be incredibly sore the next morning.

The other guards had begun to arrive and you turned around from the kneeling and gasping guard to face them. "Arvald's blades were of no use! Look at his dagger!" Came a shout behind you, from the smarter guard. There was a genuine tension of fear and uncertainty to the voice, and the other guards paused for a moment. They needed to act, but seeing as conventional weapons had seemed to fail their companion they were trying to summon their bravery and convince themselves that numbers would be enough turn the fight to their favour. There were eight of them in total, but Drakon was confident that number would prove to be no challenge.

You have a minute to try and convince or sway the guards that have arrived. Otherwise if you want you could also just knock them out.


Moonrat

Your quarry was overconfident. The ground level was patrolled and it was difficult to enter, however the upper floor was not barred and the windows were open to let in the breeze. Any decent assassin would be able to make their way in, and with your newfound knowledge you were more than simply decent. Nor did they have many guards inside. It was the house of someone comfortable in their position and with the political landscape. The family had been one of the more influential in the court. While no one truly had the favour of the queen, they had felt her displeasure less than many others.

From your entry you could make your way down to the parlour fairly simply, but if you wanted to do anything else before sneaking in on or confronting your targets you had an opportunity to do so now. While not opulent by human standards, the house was well furnished for a ratling family, especially one of the surface.


Sasha

"I would need something in return. Despite what...rumour and superstition would imply I have no need of servants or material for them. There is ample to be found and from those that push my wards these days. Food and supplies are useful, it is difficult to make shopping trips or find a willing courier." The wizard laughed with some mirth after he said that. "Master of the arcane and the supernatural, yet not of the mundane. That's wizardry for you my friend. Otherwise I could trade it for some other item of similar history or arcane interest. You do have a shard of divinity in you as well, I could sense it and yourself from miles away as you approached. If you consented I could do much with it after extracting it, but I have not toyed with the divine so there would be some small risk in it."

As a clarification, the food/supplies request will need you to organise someone to bring back a cart with supplies and non-perishable foods and it will cost you something. You could also assign a few people to the town to be couriers for him as well, but they would effectively leave your crew for the time being. Removing the divinity would take away your beauty trait, the risk is if you get scarred in the process or not. There is no risk of serious harm or death involved.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon

Drakon turned to face the new entrants to the impromptu battle, and attempts to assume the most imposing stance he can manage. He pulls out the dagger like it was nothing, dropping it to the ground as though it were beneath his notice. Attempting to recapture the feeling of his earlier speech, he begins again making his pitch to the new arrivals. "Your blades are worthless because I am more than merely mortal." he exclaims, his voice as commanding as he can make it. "I have come bringing with me both doom and salvation. Which you shall receive falls to you." He gestures to the two guards he had already faced one who surrendered, and the other who had beaten. "You can kneel of your own will, forswear your former lord and consecrate your lives to my service. Do so and you can atone for your crimes and perhaps become more than petty thugs who's lives are of no importance to anyone. Or, you can turn aside this chance, and learn the lesson your friend here learned, that nothing less than a full army can even slow me down. Your former lord falls tonight and he will face justice for his crimes, you cannot delay this reckoning much less stop it. The question is, when the moment of judgment comes will you be kneeling at my feet, or bleeding and broken at his. The choice is yours to make, but you must decide now." He looks them over, trying to strike a balance of intimidating and inspiring as best he could considering he had never really cast himself as a religious figure before so he was doing the best he could. At least, his obviously draconic appearance ought to be an asset instead of a hindrance, easier to believe an obviously super-human dragon-man as a fledgling god than a mere man like them. Plus, he doubted they'd ever seen a mad street preacher look like him, so hopefully the comparison wouldn't occur to them.

Giving them the same spiel as the earlier guards. Kneel and submit to Drakon or face his righteous wrath for their sins. City Guard[+2] and Commanding Presence[+2] the same as before with a dash of Hardy[+2]to really play up the fact that even getting stabbed was barely an annoyance. I figure he's probably better at playing to the super-dragon thing the second time rather than the first, so rather than dragon-born it'll be Untested Leader[-2] getting in the way this time because he's really just making his best guess at how to look and sound to get them to come around to his side.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Moonrat

Sloppy. Murdering a messenger and subsequently leaving the place this poorly defended? That was just asking for trouble.

As he crouched below the window, Moonrat considered his next move. He could simply do the job and leave but it had been too long since he'd done some proper thievery. And in the back of his mind he had to consider the possibility that there was more to this than simple disrespect. It was possible that like with Olek, there was another force putting his quarry up to this. If so, there might be evidence. And such evidence would no doubt be put away in an office somewhere.

With a decisive nod, Moonrat darted down the hall. He would check the rooms up here one by one before handling matters downstairs. If nothing else it would allow him to preemptively remove some guards just in case things got complicated.

Thief [+2] and Ruthless [+2] to slip around unseen and unheard, while quietly disabling any guards he happens across. Disciple of War to do so efficiently and non-lethally.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

He weighed the words of his ancestor carefully, and recounted, "Eyes beyond count, in a pool of blackness, within a temple long forgotten to the world. There is a ritual that would perhaps have opened the door there: I made sure that did not happen, but I know that something, perhaps many somethings, looked through. Those that sat outside, those that watched. Your words make more sense to me than either of us would like them to, I fear. I suspect I have witnessed Them, if this changes what you are willing to share then I will gladly listen to better keep all doors sealed."

Unbidden, his last thought before entering that fateful pool and gaining his insight rose up.

Elias at the temple of Day's Bell posted:

Ten thousand years of enlightened Ponsonby-Welm rule, passed on to my children, my children's children, my children's children's children until the end of days, that is my heart's desire.

"I had a child. They were stillborn. Our line will die out without an healthy heir. Any wisdom you can impart on that front would be gratefully received as well."

Elias is Shrewd +2 and Educated +2: He's trying to put two and two together on Castier's words, and seeking help and direction on his true objective.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Drakon

Five of the guards paused, unsure of what to do but obviously doubtful about their victory given the situation. The other three however convinced themselves that if they attacked you at once they could overcome you. They were of course mistaken, and they two lay immobile but alive at your feet shortly afterwards. The rest of the guards just looked at each other awkwardly, unsure of what to do until the first one spoke up from behind.

"Look the gods died a moon ago and we don't have much stomach for the divine or unholy. But though some of us are...more like thugs than the others, most of us just need the money so our families don't go hungry either. The mayor is pushing things too far but I don't have the stomach for killing him, or watching you do it either." You could sense that that guard seemed unhappy with the whole situation, although he was probably the most virtuous of the group. If you killed the mayor at this point you would become not a saviour, but some kind of demonic vigilante.

You got an 8, so while you succeed in convincing them to surrender they are not buying into your messianic image. I don't think you specifically mentioned wanting to murder the mayor, but you have come across as threatening so they are taking the threat of violence very seriously.


Moonrat

You slipped by the few guards effortlessly. In the rooms you found various pieces of useful information, letters (coded) between them and some of the other families, maps of where they were trying to move their interests, correspondence from various places about their plans. Together it would let you absolutely ruin their entire criminal empire in a short span of time, or prove to be powerful blackmail if you wished to use it in that manner. You found a cleverly hidden signet ring, stashes of drugs and a very fine and valuable, but impractical dagger. Additionally there was a simple sextant which seemed suspiciously plain for the care taken to hide it.

But aside from a few sleeping family members no one else and nothing else of real importance and wealth lay upstairs. The first floor was more practical living space, a kitchen, servants quarters currently unoccupied, dining room and a library of books on various topics. Nothing especially relevant to your mission or in general however. So that left the basement.

You rolled 2 6's so you get an extremely good result.


Elias

Castier was unmoved by your plight regarding your heirs. "Blood only matters to mortals because they seek to leave a living memory in the world that they existed. Your connection by blood is as irrelevant as the name Ponsonby or Welm are. Action and intent are what make a person, not their parents. Garvanicus never cared for the sins of the father after all." He chuckled in amusement as that thought. "If you want a son then adopt. Or have another man bed your wife, one virile and not malformed as yourself. After all even if men and women tell themselves that bedding their cousins is not taboo, for they are 'not that closely related' the world does will punish them anyway. If you insist on making an heir with your own blood, then you must purge that sin from yourself. Your search must take you elsewhere if not here. In my youth there was a fountain blessed by the gods of Tymor, that would heal the wounds and renew the weak...if they were found worthy by the gods." Castier looked to the north, or at least you assumed that to be the case for the journey had left you disoriented. "Many things in this world predate the dead gods, they were not the beginning nor the creators of our true wonders. Keep that in mind in the coming time."

He turned his back to you and began to walk back into the darkness. "It has been too long since I spoke so much. I am tired." It was a dismissal, like a surprise as Elias was rarely in the presence of those of higher rank or greater power than himself.

You got an 8, so while you get a lead on how to heal yourself you were unsuccessful in convincing Castier to open up about anything else.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon

Drakon looked over the guards, he supposed it would be harder than he had hoped to get them to buy into the image he was trying to portray. Still, at least they had realized he could utterly destroy him the moment the mood struck him. It was something at least.

"The local lord will be judged before the subjects he wronged and appropriate punishment will be handed out. I very much doubt the local populace you terrorized will have much stomach for your excuses for your actions or his, so you had best consider where you loyalties lay, because when the time of judgment comes, merely failing to oppose me is hardly reason to shield you from their anger. You have between now and then to decide what you will do."

Confident now that he could crush any opposition he faced, Drakon begins to march off in the direction of the local lord's manor. Before he leaves however, he gives an order to the first man he had met, the de facto spokesman for the group. "Outside the town you will find a small force waiting," he gives a brief description on how to find Greatclaw and the ex-bandits, "they are my followers, and you will go and inform them that I am going to the Lord's manor and they are to head out to that location at once." With that order given, he proceeds on his way to remove the local ruler from power.

---

Drakon's heading for the Lord's manor, I figure it'd be easy enough to spot. He's also reminding the guards that their boss is gonna face judgment and if the crowd calls for their execution he's under no obligation to save them so maybe getting in his good books would not be the worst idea.

Also sending one of the guards to pass along orders for Greatclaw and the ex-bandits to head for the manor, even though he's not waiting so they'll likely arrive after this is all over.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Moonrat

His eyes flitted across the papers rapid fire, pausing only briefly now and again as an especially juicy detail caught his attention. He could not glean much without sitting down to break the code, but what could be read plainly painted the beginnings of a very interesting picture.

"Naughty, naughty. I do so hope you have something clever to say when we meet. Someone as ambitious as you didn't need to have my blades coming for your throat. Out of respect for a fellow scoundrel, your family can live." Moonrat rolled up the evidence and slipped them into his satchel. The signet ring went into a fold in his footwraps, and the dagger he tucked into a spare sheath on his arm. He ignored the drugs utterly. He relied too heavily on his mental faculties to risk that sort of habit. A drink or two at a tavern was the most he permitted himself.

Sweeping along, he snagged a small brick of cheese on his way through the kitchen and silently trod towards the basement. He had seen no sign of his target and this was the only place remaining unsearched. Perhaps the master of the house was not here at all? That would be extremely irritating.

Thief +2 to sneak his way into the basement and see what there is to see.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sasha

"Hm", Sasha mulled the suggestion over, "Right, ye can't have my divine spark. Won it fair 'n square with a godspawn in a dream wrestling match, I did."

"But supplies? That I can do!", she grinned, "A quick 'n easy supply run fer an ol' wizard in the woods for a magic staff. A fair enough trade. I'll take it!"

As an Ogre, Sasha had no intention of utilizing spellcraft herself. But there were always enough barmy scholars about with more money than sense tearing stuff like that from your hands to recoup their lost time and reources many times over.


Affable [+2] and Beautiful [+2] to strike a deal for the staff for supplies, sending some of those human auxilia I gathered some ways back to deal with it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Drakon

Your insinuations made some of the guards more uneasy than others, which gave you a good read on those that had a reason to feel guilty and those that just had a stronger moral compass. The first guard agreed to go out to find Greatclaw and your followers, although you suspected it was as much to avoid the anger of the crowd at the peak of their frenzy as much as a desire to ingratiate himself. The others reluctantly led you towards the lord's manor and one of them knocked on the door. He had a hushed and tense conversation with a servant, whose reactions and body language told you was unhappy and afraid of disturbing and more importantly, of upsetting her lord. However she still did this and the lord came from his parlour towards the door.

"Your honour, there is...um...a guest who is interested in meeting you." The guard said uncertainly, which earned him a self-important and irritated response from the mayor.

"Guard, do you know the time? I am not taking visitors currently."

"Your honour he is very insistent."

"And I am very insistent he returns tomorrow!"


Moonrat

As there always was in ratling abodes, there was an underground section to the residence. It would connect to some of the tunnels that your people spent time in, but it was also a useful place to plot and gather out of sight and hearing of others. Sneaking down was no harder, there were a few ratlings guarding it but they proved only a trifling greater inconvenience to bypass. It took you some time and a great deal of patience, but you had both, to reach the room where you could make out the muffled sounds of people discussing. From the tone of the voices it seemed they were neither pleased nor at ease.


Sasha

The wizard smiled with amusement at your response and invited you to continue your dinner. It was a little odd, but the absurdity of the situation helped the tension. Afterwards the conversation turned to more practical matters of the logistics of the arrangement of organising the transport of supplies and protecting them from the elves who would likely attempt to attack them once they learned of the arrangement. There would be a need to organise some protection, either hiring it or getting someone with actual skill in fighting to defend them and train them up as well. It might not have been the adventure some of them signed up for, but you quickly realised there would be enough danger to scare off the ones that were just being adventure tourists and leave those who actually wanted to be there. It would have some benefit as well.

If you have anything you want to ask the wizard about the world now is a good time to do it, otherwise we can finish up this bit. Also does Sasha plan to use the staff? If not we really need to have a discussion about what I can do to give you powers.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Moonrat

A secret meeting, was it? Coin and jewels were his favorite things to steal but plots and schemes sat firmly in third place.

Willing himself to be still as a cat on a mouse hole, Moonrat listened in.

Shardix fucked around with this message at Apr 20, 2018 around 02:05

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

"Thank you for your time and words, Ancestor. Fare well,"

He carefully departed, ascending back into better lit areas. Castier's words did not sway him: If the bloodline needed to be made pure in order to continue with itself, then that is what would happen.

The Fountain of Tymor, then. Time to research, time to plan, time to make real and make whole. He hit the books once more, ready to plan another excursion.

Educated +2 and Shrewd +2 to seek references to the fountain and discern what was deemed worthiness among those who had called upon it.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon

"Enough of this farce." Drakon's voice cuts through the back and forth, "You are no longer in a position to insist upon anything." He steps forward, now plainly visible to the lordling. "Word of your incompetence and corruption has spread, and now the day of judgment has arrived for you." He stands resolute and clear in both his power and righteousness, attempting to emulate the heroes of myth, a figure fearful to his foes and inspiring to his allies. It is perhaps a tad theatrical, but the moment felt theatrical in a way, and the best leaders he had ever encountered in his life as a guard always seemed a bit theatrical like they were a hero from a play brought to life. Better still, if he can cause the lord to respond negatively or best of all reveal a cowardly streak to the others present it might help convince them even if they did not believe him to be divine he was a leader worth believing in.

"Your reign is over, now surrender or face the consequences."

Drakon's announcing his presence to the lord, trying to cause the lord to embarrass himself while Drakon appears like the righteous hero. Commanding Presence[+2] to try and sell it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Moonrat

"...what were you thinking, Footpads Indoors you know that he is dangerous! He took down almost every assassin the queen had by himself. If the gods died then he certainly replaced the Grim Squeaker!" One of the ratlings was arguing angrily.

"Calm yourself." Footpads Indoors, presumably, responded. "Yes, he is dangerous in combat and yes, he has the queen's ear. But we know what she is like. For the past twenty years we have tried to steer her away antagonising the humans. Now this...upstart comes to us with promises of salvation and freedom. Does he plan to murder every human and elf? You know our history, you know what happened before when we tried to win our freedom. Not once, not twice, but three times at least! Better that we live beneath the notice of the humans and we live, than die proud and free."

"That is all very good but why didn't you just say no?" The first voice asked.

"Whiskers, dear Twitching Whiskers Rapidly, firstly to send a message that we are not all cowed by him. But even more so, he has no interest in the Game. If someone has to live comfortably, then it ought to be the ones who are clever and cunning. That is the way our people survived this long!" Footpads shouted angrily and slammed the table.

The third ratling spoke up, a calm female voice to contrast the two men. "Please, we are among friends here. We all know that you just want to be the one to live comfortably."

Footpads shrugged at that, not bothering to deny the accusation.


Elias

For something that was supposed to be a matter of legend, there was a remarkably well documented history of the fount. The fountain lay in the mountains along the coast a little up the coast from Tymora itself. It was guarded by twin sister orders to the goddess of life and healing, the patron goddess of Tymor, Tym, who served the gods of death and of beauty. The waters of the fountain itself were said to be able to purify and heal even those on the doors of death, and in some cases it was recorded that truly exceptional individuals had their youth restored as well. However if one who was unworthy made their way into the waters, then they would be cursed and become as red like blood. After this it took a full week of ceremonies to restore the healing properties of the waters.

The question was, whether with the death of the gods if they retained their powers. Castier seemed to believe so, and so that was good enough for you for now.

Research: 2d6+4 13

Drakon

The lord looked at the guards, then at Drakon, his eyes widened in terror. Then he passed out.

Showboat: 2d6+2 6

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

Time to organise another expedition, but who to trust here in Aubrecht as regent?He wanted to trust his wife, but after what happened last time... Some things were hard to forgive. So, he sought her out, to set out hs plans before her, and gauge her response. To seek out the fountain and see if it would purify his body, to better fulfil his duties as spouse and suzerain. To see if that lifted her heart or kindled fear or worse. To see if she could be trusted to at least wait for the hope to be confirmed or denied.

Leader +2 and Shrewd +2 to plan a Tymoran expedition, and to plan the regency of Aubrecht in his absence, checking on his wife to see if she thinks she can be trusted with the crown in his absence, knowing what he goes to do.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon

Drakon looks over the collapsed form of the baron, "It would seem that he was all to aware of his own guilt and the price for his corruption." It wasn't a great line, but the dragon-man was trying to make the best of a less than optimal situation. He turns to the guards, "Restrain him. Come morning he will face the people to answer for his crimes." He watched how the various guards responded to the order, still trying to get a bearing on where they stood especially as his own victory became more and more certain. Once that was taken care of, he began to search the Baron's manor, keeping a few guards present as witnesses. His ability to convince people may be less than well developed, but crime detection was a skill he had spent decades perfecting. The corruption in the town was obvious enough, but having additional proof wouldn't hurt, and in his experience one sin often lead to another. Who knew what other crimes the baron might be involved in and what other leverage he could gain over the guards.

Ordering the guards to restrain the baron like they would a normal criminal in part to see how they react and who does what, but mainly Drakon's falling back on his experience and skill as a City Guard[+2] to search the manor for evidence of criminal behavior and corruption by the baron. Stuff he can use in the trial he plans to run and/or get leverage over the guardsmen.

EDIT: If Drakon finds any dirt or other thing he can use as leverage on any of the guards, he'll definitely leave plenty of time to have one-on-ones with them before the trial I mention gets put together.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 00:18

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Moonrat

"It's not that I have no interest in playing the game. I am simply changing the rules."

Moonrat's voice preceded him as strode into the room, glancing disdainfully around.

"Let's all just keep our hands where I can see them. As your lovely companion said, we're all among friends here."

He savored the apprehensive looks he garnered, resting his fingertips on the table.

"You speak of keeping our heads down, eking out something that could vaguely be considered an existence. Disregarding my own feelings on that matter, that is simply not an option. The elves hold us responsible for the death of their gods. Do you think they will simply let that go? No. The world is still in disarray but I can promise you, the knife ears are already actively working against us. I know for a fact we have lost one cell to the south and I have absolutely no doubts that we have lost more. And that is, I think, only the culmination of plans put into place before the calamity fell upon the world. Once they are able to rally it will a genocide. This is no longer a matter of scraping together what we can under the noses of the tall folk. This is the survival of our species." He met the eyes of those around him as he said this, drilling into them just how serious he was.

"So. You can either continue as you have and watch as our people are murdered one by one, city by city, or you can face the truth. That there is a war brewing and that if we are to be the victors, you need me. You need my ideas, my skills, and my willingness to slap the complacency from your minds."

Ruthless +2 as Moonrat makes it abundantly clear that he believes wholly in his words, and is willing to do whatever he has to do to back them up.

Shardix fucked around with this message at May 15, 2018 around 04:16

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Elias

Your wife was uneasy and unhappy about you leaving again, but she conceded that nothing would improve should you remain. But if this did not work, something would have to be done. The people of Aubrecht could not do with their leader constantly going away. It had worked out alright so far, but they would begin to lose faith if it went on for too long. Half a year had passed since the gods had fallen. 6 months. Your wife gave you six months to find a way to cure the harm done by your forefathers sin.

Planning: 2d6+4 10


Drakon

There was no grand conspiracy or evidence of terrible guilt to be found. The baron was too simple and too petty of a man to have done such a thing anyway. Drakon found as much as he expected to find; namely ledgers that showed that the baron was taxing merchants far more than their goods were worth, and that he was involved with one of the cartels back in Lustrium. The latter was not a surprise, it was a matter of fact that most people in power of anything larger than a farming village had to pay their dues. Unfortunate things happened to those who did not. The ledgers just showed how greedy the idiot was. Any kind of town would tax merchants passing through more than they needed to, but the sums did show the baron took that privilege a little too far. To Drakon neither were exceptionally terrible things, but to your average person without his experience with the guard you could do something with it. Exaggerate the extent of it and slander the man's name. There was also a reasonable amount of stockpiled food, which would give the townsfolk a little bit of a respite for a few days.

As for the guards nothing particularly stood out. Maybe the guard barracks would contain more evidence, but it became clear that you would need to sift through it. That sort of evidence was convincing in a court perhaps, but probably less useful to lead a crowd.

Investigate: 2d6+2 12


Moonrat

The ringleader, Footpads Indoors, scowled at you and remained defiant. "You want to have a war, but look at the humans! Outside of the large cities we are few in number and even there there are still more of them than us. Your mad crusade is going to kill us off anyway. Do you think the lumbering idiots are just going to roll over? Even if we do win, then what. None of us know how to work a farm, their mills and tools are made for them not us. The current harvests are already ruined because of their idiotic fear when the gods died, if we ruin the next because none of us know what to outside of the cities then we will starve. Do you think the other countries will give us their food either even if we pay them, after we kick out the people here?

We need the humans. We cannot afford a war. So go ahead, if you're going to kill us all you may as well kill me know so I don't have to watch everyone starve or bleed out around me."

You sensed that his comrades were rallying behind his words, and worse yet, that there was at least some element of truth to them. No doubt there were other plans, other solutions that did not involve mass starvation Footpads Indoor had shown himself dangerously adapt at spinning your words to his needs already.

Intimidate: 2d6+2 6

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon

Drakon took what evidence he found from the manor. He supposed finding proof that the baron was secretly a cannibal or something equally as scandalous was too much to hope for, but what he had found would be useful enough for what was to come. Not to mention the stockpiled food would be invaluable to getting the populace on his side. However, there had been little on the guards, and he was hoping to gain some leverage he could use to try and help convert them. Still, there was always the barracks to check, and he needed all the information he could get. The last thing he wanted at the public trial was surprises. So, Drakon set out for the guard barracks to search them as he had searched the baron's manor.

Searching the Guard Barracks this time. City Guard[+2], same as before. Looking for any sort of info I can use in one-on-one discussion with the guards in the hopes of getting them to follow Drakon.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Moonrat

"Who said anything about the humans? I speak of the elves. The humans are a nuisance. An occasionally useful nuisance, and hardly anything to concern ourselves with in the foreseeable future. The day the humans need to be eliminated is a day your grandchildren or your great grandchildren can worry about."

Moonrat looked about, eyes narrowed. Gods. These small minded idiots.

"To allay your fears, allow me to present the broad strokes of my plan. We will consolidate power here. Perhaps even bring the humans in on certain aspects. We will certainly need to build an alliance with some of their kingdoms - if for no other reason than to act as a buffer against the elf filth. It shouldn't be too difficult to arrange. A few key murders of the nobility here and there with some clues leading back the elven lands should suffice as a start. But the main thing we must focus on is preparation. Stockpiling of food and weapons. Training our up and coming footpads. And not decapitating messengers or otherwise engaging in infighting."

His eyes settled on Footpads Indoors and bored into him.

"For generations we have wasted our energy fighting one another for scraps. We have forsaken the pride and nobility we once had. You were all raised on the same stories I was! Our beautiful wooded homeland, kept safe by gallant knights and clever rangers. We could have that back! But if that is to ever happen, a radical change in our society must take place. It will be hard and it will be painful and it will mean those accustomed to luxury will learn once again what it is to go without."

Moonrat began pacing past the others, caught up in his speech. He needed those present to understand him. To know just how serious he was.

Pausing next to the lady, he smiled at her and gave a flirtatious wink before continuing. "I am probably not the best rat for the job. I am a lowborn thug with delusions of grandeur. I have no title. I have no wealth. All that I do have, is a willingness to try, and a willingness to accept the consequences. 'Easy for him to say that' you might think. 'Accepting consequences is a much more tolerable burden when they aren't actually happening to you'. Valid points. Except those of you who know of me know that I do not act from the sidelines. No action I deem necessary will I step away from unless I must. It is, after all, my preference to be the one holding the blade - whether it be literal or metaphorical."

He moved on again. His tail thrashed behind him as he paced, and it was all he could do to keep his hands at his side rather than let them fidget in agitation.

"I give you all my solemn word that I am trying to act for the betterment of our people, not get us all killed. I swear that I have the capability to see us victorious. I vow that our foes will end up shattered and weeping at our feet, despairing that fate could be so cruel as to permit them to live to see all they ever wrought brought to ruin. The difficulty." He heaved a sigh. "The truest, hardest thing of all is this: That to do so I have to ask you all to do the one thing no ratling ever truly allows themselves to do. I need you to trust me."

Attempting to garner these ratling's support. He is not a statesman, however. Words are not his strength. With luck, the men will appreciate his ruthlessness and the lady his good looks and that will be enough to win them over. Ruthless [+2] and Handsome [+2]

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

It was true, the situation was not optimal, and he shared his cousin-wife's concerns. So, speed was of the essence: The question was how long the trip would take, and how best it could be expedited. A few weeks of hard riding, perhaps, taking as direct a route as terrain and politics allowed. An elite retinue of the Autarchal Guard should be able to keep up a swift mounted pace, probably better than he himself could. He had a duty to his people both in being fit to lead them and in making any absence as short as physically possible, and he intended full diligence in both.

Educated +2 and Shrewd +2 to work on the swiftest solution to travelling to and from Tymora, no matter the personal strain it may put him under.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Drakon

The guard barracks were small and disorganised. As a smaller town, it lacked the same kind of organisation that Lustrium had even though your home town did not really have a particularly robust recording of forensic evidence or accounts of prisoners. In Lustrium the inefficiency of the bureaucracy was due to corruption and the meddling of the cartels. Here it was because mostly it was not needed, there was only the odd brawl that needed to be broken up. However you did find a diary of one of the guards, a man named Deros, who recorded the investigations of the carts that passed through as well as the taxes. Reading between the lines, and due to your knowledge of such practices, Drakon could deduce roughly the tariffs applied to each of the travellers. The diary also mentioned a guard that had resigned in the few weeks immediately after the death of the gods. Although it did not mention the reason specifically, there had been some incidents before that which you had read was a sign of disagreements with the way the governor was managing the town.

Investigate: 2d6+2 9


Moonrat

Footpads Indoors looked frustrated and angry with your words, but it was his female companion who spoke up. "Your vision is wonderful, and very appealing. But if we are to have an army, then they must eat. Where does that food come from? We cannot produce it ourselves, so we must either take it, or buy it. How do we shelter them? Human armies have used tents, but how many of our people have a tent? Presumably not all of the soldiers would use blades, so we would need bolts for their crossbows. We would need a way to transport all of these...carts, beasts of burden. Logistics my dear assassin is what we specialise in. Making sure that what is needed gets to where it needs to be...regardless of any spurious human or dwarven laws."

She smiled coyly and moved her tail calmly side to side, although her eyes belayed the wary caution and fear. The woman knew well how deadly you were. "Moving people and supplying them means taking into account the roads you take and the towns and people on them. None of us are a general, we do not know bout moving through muddy ground or in the rain. But we do know things that you will likely need in your goals...but you need to listen to us. You cannot change the world through force, nor can you change it in a week. Not without a miracle or unless you are a god."


Persuasion: 2d6+4 11
At least the woman is willing to work with you but it would require some compromises and probably a slower schedule than you currently intend.

Elias

Your quickest route would be through the Low Road, passing through the demesne of the Dwarves. They would allow you to travel directly through the mountains, instead of having to travel over the mountains or around by sea. If Aubrecht had laid closer to the coast it would be another matter. Once you reached the port town of Lho-Rhydia you might be able to secure passage, but it might potentially be safer to rely on your own retinue and guards to travel along land round the coast and up to Tamora itself.

There was no concern with travelling through the lands of the dwarves, there was no conflict between your peoples in centuries that would endanger you or cause them to block your passage. However the reports indicated that the dwarves had largely been silent since the death of the gods, there had been few traders and they had been tight-lipped on news from the dwarven homeland. They were not as old a people as the Elves or the Ogres, but they did have one of the longest recorded histories and had been one of the first and thus greatest ancient powers. That the dwarves in nearby settlements were so disturbed was a concerning sign.

Planning: 2d6+4 14

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Moonrat

"Yes...not without a miracle or a god." Moonrat mused to himself. "We shall see what comes." His focus snapped back to reality and he bobbed his head. "You are, of course, correct. If I seem overhasty, it is only because I see an opportunity that will not come again. I am wise enough to know nothing will happen today, or tomorrow, or even a month from now. But the sooner we start to prepare, the better position we will have. What I am asking is your assistance in getting those preparations underway and a cessation of needless violence."

"Which brings me to the main reason I am even here in the first place. A messenger sent on my behalf was murdered and his head sent to me. While I do respect the sheer gall necessary to do such a thing...that man was innocent. He was simply doing his job and I will not abide sweeping uninvolved parties into our affairs." His eyes cut through the room and he placed his paws on the table. "Amends must be made. Footpads Indoors, I give you a choice. You will offer that man's family your head in recompense and I give you my word that your family will be left in peace to live their lives as well as they may. Your possessions and property will go to them with my blessing. If you refuse, I will walk out of this house bathed in the blood of everyone within it. Those are my terms and I am not in a mood to negotiate."

Ruthless +2 as Moonrat states his demands.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon

There wasn't much to work with. He had been hoping the guards would have been foolish enough to leave some more concrete proof behind, some sort of trophy or obviously extorted goods, the sort of things he'd seen among the more dirty of Lustrium's guards. He supposed this town was too small for that to have really set in. Still, the prospect of a defector offered one last possibility to gather information on the guards for his plan to convert them prior to the trial. So, with the information from the journal, Drakon sought him out. He was lucky it was still night time and the people were used to the enforced curfew, it made things simpler. Still, he would have to be careful, he needed this guard to divulge information so he had to hope that his appearance wouldn't frighten the ex-guard too much.

Drakon's going to visit the guard who resigned. City Guard[+2] to try and impress the man and get him to cooperate, Dragonborn[-2] because his appearance might impede that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

Plans had been laid out, the optimal route determined. It seemed an envoy to the Dwarves was in order, a task Elias would fulfil himself in person en route. Speed was of the essence, and so the retinue rode forth, Elias at their heart. It was time to put all that preparation to good use, as he bade his cousin-wife farewell. Let's see what the journey ahead had in store.

Leader +2 and Shrewd +2 to commence this venture, and to conduct a diplomatic envoy to the dwarves on the way.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Moonrat

Footpads just laughed at you,. "Do you plan to offer your head to the families of every assassin that you murdered? What of Fleeting-Whisper? Son you cannot loving claim some moral high ground here, your hands are stained with blood like mine. If you want to kill me then just kill me. Don't try and make it some kind of act of justice." He glowered at you, there was a fear in his eyes but he was apparently a man that had long confronted the idea that he might die or be murdered. Considering his position and business, it made some sense. "Also how can I offer anyone anything when I'm dead? Unless this isn't a threat and you want me to make a bust." Foorpads Indoors snorted derisively at that thought.

The woman just gave you the ratling equivalent of a shrug. "For the record I don't really care if you kill him or not, sometimes he is an incredibly insufferable prick and you seem like the winning horse as the humans say." She offered helpfully.

Initially I rolled for it, but it did not really just make sense since you asked him to commit suicide. He's not going to try and retaliate or take you out in some mad and futile plan though, because you rolled a success on the roll.


Drakon

The guard was a middle aged man with a beard that was growing out from a face that used to be regularly shaved. He looked up at you in surprise and looked you up and down. Scratching his chin he made a thinking noise and then spoke up. "So, you're the one that's causing the mayhem outside. Didn't see much myself, but I heard some odd things and Raynir didn't come by for his evening checkup like he usually does." He turned back to his cook pot and returned to stirring the stew.

"I don't know what you want and I don't care. It's not my business and you clearly don't need my help to do whatever you plan to do to the town. So go ahead and strike me down if you're going to or leave me alone. I'm retired." The last comment he laughs at a personal joke, although Drakon could sense the obvious bitterness in the self-deprecating humour.

Gather Information: 2d6 2
Ouch. Have a Destiny Point for that roll. The guard isn't scared of you, and while he doesn't know exactly what you want he has pegged you as having some kind of plan to seize wealth or power. His initial impression is that he doesn't care and just wants you to go away. But you haven't lost any chances here, you just have a first impression that runs counter to what Drakon wanted.

Elias

Travelling to the dwarves was an easier journey because there was no weather to deal with. Aside from the risk of a cave in, and much deeper a magma flow or water reservoir collapsing into a tunnel, the journey was safe and had a constant temperature. However you could not forage for food and most animals raised on the surface did not behave for long in the dimly lit tunnels. That made carrying supplies harder, a fact that was usually not a problem because of the many way stops the dwarves made and maintained. However the first one that you came to was seemingly abandoned. It was only when your retainers had made up some beds, cooked a meal from what preserved supplies were left in the pantries and guards had set up watch that a sign of the occupants was spotted. One of the guards reported a dwarven child, a girl, who had been spotted lurking by once the smell of cooking food had begun to waft into nearby tunnels. They figured she must be young, as she had no signs of the facial hair dwarves of both genders were known for.

"Should we invite her to join us so we can ask some questions?" The lead guard suggested.

I didn't worry about rolling this, as you're starting out and what issues you have depends on how you engage with the story.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon
Destiny: 1

Drakon looked at the guard, hiding his annoyance at yet another failure to make the proper impression, it was something he was going to have to practice, he realized, though how one did that he wasn't quite sure. Nevertheless, he bulldozed forwards, attempting to fall back on normal guard-like protocol to at least get the man to share what he knew. "I only came down to ask if you had any information about specific criminality or brutality within the guard. I plan on holding a public trial for the baron and potentially some of the guards as well, and I wanted to make sure there wasn't any information I was missing. After that I'll leave you be."

City Guard[+2] and Commanding Presence[+2] to try and get the guy to at least share any information he might have. Dragonborn[-2] probably shatters the illusion of normality he's trying to maintain.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Drakon

The man did not even look up from his cooking. "If you plan to take them to the magistrate then you are welcome to my testimony. However I rather think you do not plan to follow the law of the land here do you?"

"Eisen seems likes a friendly sort, sensible and practical. However he has been helping smuggle Deathfire. He's smart enough not to use it himself, and I don't know where he keeps his cut, but I have seen him pass notes and coins with a ratling who passes through. I tried to turn a blind eye as there were too many people in the pocket of the cartels, but when he joked that the stuff would cull the 'gutter trash' from taking the food that was being rationed I had enough."

Finally he did look up at you again. You did not read any deceit but his expression seemed challenging and defiant. He expected something from you, but you could not be sure what.

"But you only have my word for this. He's a nice guy. Maybe I just have a grudge."

Investigate: 2d6+2 7

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon
Destiny: 1

Drakon laughs, "What magistrate do you know that would try baron for squeezing his subjects dry? And even if it were a crime, what magistrate wouldn't be bought off by the promise of a baron owing him a favor. I will present the evidence and make my case, but it will up to the people to decide the baron's fate. I may not be following the proper procedures to the letter, but unlike the current crop of nobles and merchants, I can promise that I won't be bought and sold at the beck and call of the wealth and the powerful."

"As for your information, I have little doubt that if this Eisen was selling deathfire there will be others who will be able to corroborate your claim. Either way, seeing him respond to the accusation should tell me more about him, and perhaps might even help me make a new man out of him."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

"Make ready a double portion of food. Prepare a place near the fire. Invite her to join us because she's hungry enough to approach strangers: If she wishes to share her tale all well and good, but right now she is a person in need with no visible means of support that we've seen in miles. See to her comfort and care."

The Autarch of Aubrecht looked upon the Dwarven girl kindly and charitably, trying to ensure she was as well treated as they could manage, her hunger tended to, addressing her courteously and civilly. He intended it to be seen that they were not just helping her owing to the information she could give them, but because of her own worth as an individual, the merits of her life and livelihood.

Nonetheless, the hand of the giver is always on top.

Stylish +2 and Shrewd +2 to make a good impression on the young waif.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Drakon

The old guard chuckled darkly. "Ah yes the mob's justice, known for its clarity of sight and its wisdom. I think I have the full measure of you now. Whatever evaluation he had made, Drakon could tell that it was not a positive one.

"My stew is ready and I do not have enough to share." It was a dismissal. Even if Drakon did not want to leave, he could tell that the old guard had little else to say to him right now as he began to serve up his stew for himself.


Elias

It took a while for the girl to drum up the courage to join for a meal, but eventually she took a bowl and slowly crept up to the camp. She was quiet and had a nervous look to her. You judged it had been a few weeks since she had eaten well, and one of the guards who had taken care of a starving child before had to caution her not to overeat lest she make herself sick.

You got a couple of snatches of conversation from her. Her name was Gweslen and she was 19, which while young for dwarves and not considered an adult was still old enough for her to be observant, as she was as mentally developed as a human her age after all. Gweslen mentioned that people had left to fight, that some great conflict had consumed the dwarven people. She had been travelling here with her father but something had happened, he had gotten into a fight and was killed.

What exactly the fight that had claimed her father had been about, or the conflict consuming the dwarves, was not something she knew but she mentioned that her father had seemed...strange, before the fight. Something had been wrong, like he was sick. The people at the waystation had left for the closest town to go help them with whatever was going on.

Your party could avoid the town, it was on the way but there were one or two side roads you could travel along to avoid the conflict. Getting involved could lead to something much more however, so you had no way of knowing when you would reach the healing waters or when you would return to Aubrecht.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon
Destiny: 1 0

Drakon turned his back on the guard and left the man's home without saying another word. There would always be old fools like him, either the man would be won over by Drakon's actions or he wouldn't. Stalking back to the Baron's manor, Drakon awaited the return of the ex-bandits who had already become his followers. Once they arrived and were able to keep the guards from getting any ideas, Drakon would meet with guards one by one in one of the manor's smaller rooms. One by one they would be lead in, Drakon would do his utmost to project veritably divine authority. Using what he had learned in the investigation, tailored to each guard he would calmly and methodically lay out the case he was prepared to make the following day. He laid out their guilt, made them see their crimes, and without saying as much made it plain what the people would do to them if given the chance. Then when he was certain that he had drilled the certainty of their doom into their hearts he threw them a lifeline.

The words were never exactly the same, they were adjusted slightly to better fit the guard he was using them on, but they were always similar. "Now you are faced with a choice. You have sinned, through your own judgment you did what you thought was best for you, and in doing so carried out the orders of a fool. You can continue under your own judgment and face the people alone. I think you know what will happen if you do. Alternatively, you can recognize your own weakness, your own failure and repent. Surrender all that you are to me instead. Let me become your truth and I will guide you to righteousness and the people to prosperity. You have seen my strength and power, you know I am not a mere man whether you wish to admit it or not. Unlike your previous master, I am not some corrupt 5th rate petty noble destined to go nowhere, I will change the world with or without you. You have a chance, instead of being forgotten as the flunky of a corrupt incompetent you can go down in history as a vanguard of my reformation, a hero to all future generations. All you need do is surrender your flawed judgment, your imperfect reason, and allow me to replace them. Make me your truth, your morality, your reason for being, become my fang, my man: body, mind, and soul. Do this, and you will have my protection in the trial tomorrow and thereafter. For so long as you keep faith with me, I will never betray you."

Here he pauses for dramatic effect, to let the words sink in, and let the gravity of the choice each man faces bloom in their mind. Face the mob alone, or surrender themselves to this being utterly and without reservation. After a moment of silence, Drakon would continue, "The time has come for you to make your choice, to define who and what you'll be for the remainder of your days." For those that refused his offer, he allowed them to leave, and had his troops take them into custody. For those that accepted, he let them swear their oaths and then said, "This is no small thing you have done, and I must be certain you are serious in your commitment. So I ask that you prove the sincerity of your acceptance of my offer, proof you are truly committed to fully surrender yourself to me. Do that and I will name you one of my Fangs, and you can be secure in the knowledge that you are under my protection." He let them make a demonstration of loyalty then, and if he found it sufficient he would place a giant draconic hand on their head and repeat the following oath, "I have heard your oath, and seen the truth of your devotion with my own eyes, from this day forth you are my Fang, and I swear that I will reward faith with justice and betrayal with ruin." When it was finished, he would stand silent allowing the moment its proper solemnity, and then once it passed he would send them out with the order that they speak to no others about the discussion until he granted them leave. For those who's proof of loyalty disappointed, he would allow them to make as many attempts to prove the sincerity of their conversion as they wished to undertake until one satisfied him or they abandoned their oath.

Then, the previous guard having left as either a Fang or a prisoner, the next would be escorted in and it would begin all over again. One by one he would speak to every single one of them, not stopping until he had spoken to the last of the guards.

Drakon's heading back to the Baron's manner. Then once his own men have arrived to take control of the situation, he'll meet with each of the guards one on one and do his best using his Commanding Presence[+2] and his experience as a City Guard[+2] (both to connect with them and to use his experience turning CIs) to try and convince them to renounce their old lives and swear fealty to him, with the promise that those who do so sincerely will be protected at the next day's trial. Then for those that switch side's he'll end it with asking them to prove the sincerity of their conversion, and leave it up to them on how they do so. Those that prove their loyalty to his satisfaction will be named his Fangs, those that refuse his offer will be taken into custody. This seems like a pivotal moment for Drakon, so I'll spend the Destiny Die I have.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!


Drakon

Whether it was due to Drakon starting to get the hang of speaking with charisma and presence, or just a benefit of being a massive and seemingly indestructible dragon person, the guards eventually all came on board. Most of them even were buying into your cult by the end of their sessions, although Eisen and one other guard were just going with the changing wind and regime. But they spoke the words you demanded, and with as much fervour and sincerity as you demanded, so Drakon could not find fault with them. Certainly it may be useful to have men of more pragmatic views and loyalty in the long run, and you could always carefully watch them to ensure they did not step out of line. Eisen in particular at least had a terrible threat hanging over his head, like the blade of a guillotine hovering above a criminal, and he had been very quiet and very eager to please you once you had laid out your case to him.

The goings about in town had drawn a few eyes, but people were tired and there did not seem to be any imminent danger. Drakon knew from being a guard that this meant two things for the morning. Firstly that people would sleep poorly and be tired. Secondly, that because the people were tired they could lead more easily by a forceful personality but would also just as easily turn into a mob. Greatclaw murmured to you that this could be a turning point either way for your plans, and that you should think carefully upon what you would do.

Indoctrinate: 3d6+4 16
The guards are collectively on board and even the two that are more pragmatic than buying into your cult are going to be loyal for the foreseeable future.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE


Drakon

Seeing the guards fall in line, and for more than a few to fully commit to him pleased Drakon to no end. However, this was only the first step in his high wire act, and just as Greatclaw had warned the next step might be even more fraught. The people would be tired and on edge, potentially making it easier to shape their opinions and feelings, but also making an explosive failure equally likely. Winning over the guards was important, but by the same token they had been the face of the old regime and as much as people might resent the baron, it was the guards who had dealt them the daily injury which drew a more primal resentment. If he wanted things to go his way, Drakon would need to dispel that resentment safely and rehabilitate the guards in the eyes of the people without blunting his case against the baron.

While an earnest plea that the guards were in some way victims of the baron too might have some basis in truth, long experience told Drakon it'd fall on entirely deaf ears. He had only one idea how to truly defuse that resentment, besides some additional benefits it might net him. So, calling the guards together he spoke with them. "Tomorrow the trial of the baron will begin. However, despite the fact that he was in charge, you bear a share of the sin as well, and the people will know that instinctively. If tomorrow is truly to represent the dawning of a new era the people must be convinced your conversion is genuine and that you will not repeat your previous offenses, they will instinctively demand a degree of punishment. So I ask if there are any among you who would volunteer to accept a penance to help restore the people's trust in you and prove to any who might doubt the true depth of your conversion or faith. You would be called upon to confess your sins before the crowd and as penance surrender all your worldly possessions, which would be used to help fund additional food purchases to assist the villagers until harvest. In addition, before the whole crowd you would forsake your old life and old name, and offer yourself up to me to be reborn in my grace. You will show them the depth of your faith, and help them understand I am more than a mere man."

He looks over them one by one, "I know this is no small burden to bare, which is why it will be limited to those willing to volunteer. There will be no negative repercussions against any who refuse to do so. However, I ask you to consider this choice carefully for tomorrow will no doubt be long remembered as a turning point of history, and it is only with your assistance that we can ensure that when the people of the future look back they mark it as the beginning of the world's rebirth."

Drakon's asking the assembled guards if any are willing to volunteer to publicly do penance on behalf of the guards, with the penance consisting of surrendering all their worldly possessions to be used for the good of the village and publicly forsaking their old lives and names and offering themselves up to Drakon to be reborn in him. Commanding Presence[+2] to give this speech some oomph. Though he is serious that this is strictly volunteer and there will be no punishment for not volunteering (beyond not partaking in the additional esteem such a sacrifice and public display of faith would no doubt earn from him and probably the other guards).

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Elias

Gweslen's testimony was troubling, Going headlong into a Dwarven war, potentially civil, was far from optimal, The change in circumstance necessitated sending a rider back to Aubrecht to make sure they were informed of this potential peril, with the concomitant risks and potential delays to the expedition.

Gweslen, however, was key here. She was offered the protection of the Autarchy, and a choice of options. Asylum in Aubrecht, going back with the rider. Being given what supplies they could spare and left to her own devices, here or at a place of her choosing. Or riding with the expedition to be reunited with her people, her extended family if feasible.Her autonomy was respected, protection offered but not imposed.

There were risks, but there were deeper problems here, the potential for escalation too dangerous an unknown to leave hanging. Elias had to put Aubrecht above himself and learn more.

Leader +2 and Shrewd +2 to put the needs of Aubrecht first in a neighbouring crisis and to do the best they could by their guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007



Rashid ibn Saqr ibn al-Ajar ibn Karif ibn Ahmad ibn Farid

After what felt like an eternity on the riverboat, Rashid stepped onto the docks and took a moment to survey the layout. Well. Less here than he hoped, but ah! Just there was one of the locals. There was some hope, dim though it may be.

He shouldered his back, and approached the behatted docklady, flashing her a charming smile and flourishing a small bow. "Ah! Dear maiden, I wonder if you might be able to direct a humble traveler. I'm told there is a lake near here containing some ancient, sunken ruins. Do you happen to know where that is?"

I am using my Charming [+2] smile on this docklady.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »