Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

In theory intro chem should have me pretty good to go for gen 1. Calc I'm pretty sure I'm going to have my rear end kicked

Nah don't freak out, calc 1 is honestly pretty cool and useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'm doing calc 2 online through a community college and just spent the entire weekend and most of the past week studying my rear end off and I just got uber-stressed and then bombed my first exam.

Integrals are the worst of the worst parts of math for me - no theory, just memorization of identities and trying to notice little things in order to use some memorized trick to solve them. Also lots of algebra.

The only reason I even got a couple problems right (I think) is from watching blackpenredpen on youtube, who is infinitely better than my instructor. I'd drop it and leave it for the future (and hopefully less stressful times) but I passed the refund date after only two class lessons and three homework assignments.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Make liberal use of khan academy.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Seconding Khan Academy. Also LibreTexts.

And remember, chemistry is cool and good. :colbert:

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Khan academy is good. The online derivative calculator can be useful to check your answers. https://www.derivative-calculator.net/ or https://www.integral-calculator.com/ for integrals.

Also going to recommend Pauls Online Math Notes. https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ He goes all the way up to Differential Equations. The cheat sheets can be nice for future classes.

I remember Calc 1 not being horrible but I thought the teacher was really good. I got an A but I had to work my rear end off for it.

Good luck with Calc 2. A lot of people end up taking it twice. I can't imagine taking it during the summer. They curved the poo poo out of my class in a normal semester.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think Cal II was the hardest calculus class I've taken. That required the most puzzle solving to figure out which method you need to use where you have to pick whether to rotate around the x or y axis.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I had to take Calc II three times, that class can suck my dick. Paul's online math notes and khanacademy are super useful tho

Crusher3
Aug 10, 2018

I'm not an early bird or a night owl. I am some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.

Iain posted:

Khan academy is good. The online derivative calculator can be useful to check your answers. https://www.derivative-calculator.net/ or https://www.integral-calculator.com/ for integrals.

Also going to recommend Pauls Online Math Notes. https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ He goes all the way up to Differential Equations. The cheat sheets can be nice for future classes.

I remember Calc 1 not being horrible but I thought the teacher was really good. I got an A but I had to work my rear end off for it.

Good luck with Calc 2. A lot of people end up taking it twice. I can't imagine taking it during the summer. They curved the poo poo out of my class in a normal semester.

You beautiful bastard. I'm starting my Calc 1 adventures and will hopefully be going to Calc 3. I'm saving the calculators and cheat sheets xD

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I handed my calculus I final in this morning. Thankfully I don’t have to take any more calculus just all chemistry all the time now.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

:getin:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I dropped calc and now realize had I run chem and calc at the same time online in six weeks I would have had a bad time and also probably not done too well. All chem all the time!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Chemistry update - genuinely upset that we aren't in the lab doing bunsen burners and fume hoods and elements and acids :(

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Plus side: You or one of your labmates will not set off the fire alarm at least once a semester!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Literally like ten seconds after my Gen Chem 1 Lab TA gave a spiel about not dropping crucibles because they break super easy and you have to buy a new one, I dropped my crucible and broke it and had to buy a new one. So at least you don't have to do that.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
162 out of 200 on my calculus final for an overall B which I will gladly take. No official grade from physio-psychology yet even though they are due today but Blackboard says I have at least an A- before the extra credit has even been graded so I’m not too worried about that one. Emailed the schools veterans affairs guy again for more clarification on if the school will cover my going over the credit limit and he made it sound like they most likely will so I’m going to try and tack on a fishing trip weekend and a canoeing weekend this upcoming fall and add some healthy cooking weekend class and a camping trip weekend to the spring semester. I don’t need these classes at all and they count for gently caress all but if I don’t have to pay for them then they are some easy 1 credit letter grades for palling around with some idiot kids over the weekend.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Last semester i had some bullshit intro to programming course to sit through and the professor just bounced for about 6 weeks after lockdown hit and every got an A so that was dope.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

not caring here posted:

Last semester i had some bullshit intro to programming course to sit through and the professor just bounced for about 6 weeks after lockdown hit and every got an A so that was dope.

If you are still on the cs track there is a Caverns of COBOL discord that has been super helpful for me throughout my degree plan.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oh, thanks for the tip but this was just a gen ed requirement. My computer touching is by necessity only.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I’ve been seeing a lot of people talk about their gen ed computer classes and it’s starting to kind of concern me that it isn’t really a thing at my school. Like the only people touching computers are people who are majoring in computer stuff.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Calc 2 has been going pretty poorly for me, I ended up with a 50 on the first exam, and a 59 on the second. The teacher emailed and said if we failed the first two exams we might as well drop now because it's just going to get harder. I'm going to keep rolling with it because it's a community college separate of my main college so GPA and the money is gone either way. At least I'm still learning as much as I can and if I have to retake it I'll be better prepared. The second exam had 7 pages (each page is part of the online quiz, have to load a new page for every problem) with 1 problem each, except I got to the last page paced on time for 7 questions and there was an 8th on it with 3 parts. I didn't even get to start it, and I emailed and asked to please not do that and didn't hear back.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Stick with it. Calc 2 is a sadistic class, always has been. There's a good chance thise exam scores will result, in the end, with what we often call a gentleman's C.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lot of people in gip have gotten through it and you will too!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Except for me, who switched from a BS degree to BA due to three attempts (one withdraw and two fails). If I was starting my degree now I could get past it but not during my immature college drinking days.

I switched to a networking and security degree that I'm happy with at least.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Calc II is hard because, in part, it is a weedout class for engineering students. If you do not need it for your degree, professors are generally more lenient.

It is a difficult class and is the most old school of any math class you'll take. Most versions of it are calculator free because you're learning how to actually do all the calculations that underlie a scientific calculator.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Cal II just has so much random poo poo in it and it never feels like you're building to anything. A bunch of it gets used later but it just seems like you're jumping from topic to topic at the time. I never felt like I was grasping it when taking that class. But then when I got to higher level classes and I'm doing U substitutions, and integration by parts, and other things and I'm getting it then. But that whole semester I spend freaking out because I didn't know if I was grasping or retaining any of it.

It's a problem with math where I don't think professors stress enough that the things being taught have a purpose and it's not just some nerd thought up something cool and now it's in a book. I wish I could impress upon my younger self what math concepts I'd be using later so I need to make sure I really grasp them.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Taylor and Maclaurin series were invented by research mathematicians in the pocket of Big Notebook in order to make students use more notebook paper writing out tedious bullshit

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Cenen posted:

I’ve been seeing a lot of people talk about their gen ed computer classes and it’s starting to kind of concern me that it isn’t really a thing at my school. Like the only people touching computers are people who are majoring in computer stuff.

I had to search out and intentionally take R, SQL and whatever else. You should take at least an excel class. Going much further without knowing what you need is probably a waste time.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Calc II stuff is super helpful in physical chem and inorganic chem. Not so for gen chem though.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Just wanted to come in and say my wife works at a community college and they held a student veterans welcome event where they invited everyone but the actual student veterans. She said she got there and it was a bunch of deans and board of trustee members and she asked where are the students and the person running the event (who doesn't usually have anything to do with veterans affairs) basically just blinked and said oh gently caress and walked away.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

The Aardvark posted:

Calc II stuff is super helpful in physical chem and inorganic chem. Not so for gen chem though.

It's a requirement of my BS or BA in computer and information science. Yet we only need a statistics and probability for engineers class??

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rifles posted:

It's a requirement of my BS or BA in computer and information science. Yet we only need a statistics and probability for engineers class??

Stats and prob for engineers probably expects the calculus understanding and is less handholdy than normal stats.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

dadjokes posted:

Just wanted to come in and say my wife works at a community college and they held a student veterans welcome event where they invited everyone but the actual student veterans. She said she got there and it was a bunch of deans and board of trustee members and she asked where are the students and the person running the event (who doesn't usually have anything to do with veterans affairs) basically just blinked and said oh gently caress and walked away.

:lol:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Stats and prob for engineers probably expects the calculus understanding and is less handholdy than normal stats.

Graduate Statistics is the most frustrating class I've ever taken. It felt rigged the entire time.

I do like box plots alot now though.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

In the event any chemistry goons are lurking I could use some help on some basic stuff because my brain doesn't believe in working right

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I'm at work rn but I can help.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Is there a preferred way to make comms? I've got an excess reactant question I'm loving up, and also a concentration for an acid neutralization. And also other things. Because I have no idea what I'm doing.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

PM sent

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I hate my life, I'm freaking out and I am near a panic attack. Is this the chemistry way?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

maffew buildings posted:

In the event any chemistry goons are lurking I could use some help on some basic stuff because my brain doesn't believe in working right

Protip: Dont smell pure acetic acid, it will burn your nose hairs.

maffew buildings posted:

I hate my life, I'm freaking out and I am near a panic attack. Is this the chemistry way?

It was for me during Physical Chemestry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You could always switch to a social sciences major like me and then put off the real good dread to what the hell to do AFTER getting that BA