Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

If I got this wrong, let me know, but this was a recent change.

https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ posted:

Changes to the “48 Month Rule” for VR&E and EDU Beneficiaries

April 7, 2021 8:00 AM

Effective April 1, 2021, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) no longer counts the use of Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) benefits (chapter 31) against the 48-month limit on GI Bill education benefits such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The use of GI Bill education benefits will continue to count against the 48-month limit on VR&E benefits. 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I don't imagine that change is retroactively applied, huh?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I have three classes and the MCAT left and of all the things to make me reevaluate my life it's physics over the summer, go figure

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 18, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even after taking two physics classes, I have to take "Modern Physics for Engineers" and it's the same poo poo all over again but more confusing this time.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I never thought I would encounter something that makes me go 'wow wish I was back in organic chemistry' but WELP. O-chem may be a total kick in the jimmies but at the end of the day I understand it, it's a big puzzle and I can look at it and go 'oh, ok, cool that's what's happening'. This poo poo, though? Eeesh

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Grip it and rip it posted:

I don't imagine that change is retroactively applied, huh?

It is. If you used VR&E and not GI Bill, you suddenly have a bunch of GI Bill eligibility you didn't have before.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Dorstein posted:

It is. If you used VR&E and not GI Bill, you suddenly have a bunch of GI Bill eligibility you didn't have before.

I went to Bishop State today (the community college I graduated from in 2014), both to help my niece sign up for classes and to sign up for a culinary class to burn off some GI Bill time.

I couldn't register. Because I have to provide my transcript from the University of Alabama.

Where I got my MBA.

6 years after graduating from that community college.

To take a baking course.

:ughh:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Very cool, the school I'm taking my fall classes at used a California grant to cover my fees instead of submitting to the VA like they were supposed to, so now I have no housing benefits and classes start Monday. Wow, very rad of the veterans center to do the opposite of what they're there to loving do, process loving GI Bill claims. Maybe I'm missing something but I have no confirmation letters from the VA so not feeling to good about this.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 14, 2021

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My GI bill benefits statement no longer exists online. Tried calling, no help there. They can see them, so that's cool. Logged in on my contractor CAC on the ebenefits site, still can't see it. Pretty sure I've got the ID.me account on va.gov. Not even sure what else there is to do

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Hotel Kpro posted:

My GI bill benefits statement no longer exists online. Tried calling, no help there. They can see them, so that's cool. Logged in on my contractor CAC on the ebenefits site, still can't see it. Pretty sure I've got the ID.me account on va.gov. Not even sure what else there is to do

Same, I had to call to see remaining benefits and they physically mailed me a copy.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Baller, guess I'll just do that every 6 months or whenever I need to

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

Very cool, the school I'm taking my fall classes at used a California grant to cover my fees instead of submitting to the VA like they were supposed to, so now I have no housing benefits and classes start Monday. Wow, very rad of the veterans center to do the opposite of what they're there to loving do, process loving GI Bill claims. Maybe I'm missing something but I have no confirmation letters from the VA so not feeling to good about this.

You should go ask them who is paying your rent until they get things sorted. That loving sucks though dude

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Thankfully the Vet Coordinator at my main school (junior college system) got with them and they submitted my documents yesterday (VA confirm email received), it's still just very confusing why they would skip to doing that without informing me or whatever. HOPEFULLY they don't pull this bullshit on anyone else because what in the gently caress?

edit: Confirmed in my VA GI Bill benefits. At least that's done so I can focus on *checking notes* not losing my poo poo in o chem 2

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 17, 2021

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

:getin:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I took a two month chem break and forgot everything and now I am living in constant panic again OH BOY IT'S O CHEM TIME ALRIGHT

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

I took a two month chem break and forgot everything and now I am living in constant panic again OH BOY IT'S O CHEM TIME ALRIGHT

I know that O Chem is a pain in the rear end, but I breezed through Diff Eqs on the 5th attempt, so don't get discouraged. Just work hard the first couple of weeks.

So Fall Semester starts up next week here, and I still need to do lab work to finish my MS, but I have no indication from anyone that the lab is open. I'm tempted to just let it slide until the first couple of weeks of the semester go by and we (the University, my advisor and I) just agree to kick the can until the spring. I still have another 3 years to finish it within the time frame and have plenty of GI Bill to cover (Apparently, 1 credit in a standard semester only costs 13 days). Looking forward to that conversation.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hmm, looks like I have just under 6 months of GI bill benefits I meed to use to get my kicker back. Any suggestions on how to do so? Guess I could enroll at the local college full time for a coding bootcamp or some poo poo. Maybe just save it to use for relocation purposes of I ever have to move without having a job lined up

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hmm, looks like I have just under 6 months of GI bill benefits I meed to use to get my kicker back. Any suggestions on how to do so? Guess I could enroll at the local college full time for a coding bootcamp or some poo poo. Maybe just save it to use for relocation purposes of I ever have to move without having a job lined up

You are going to go to school for six months so you can get back like 3,000 dollars? That seems like a substantial investment for very little return.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I know that O Chem is a pain in the rear end, but I breezed through Diff Eqs on the 5th attempt, so don't get discouraged. Just work hard the first couple of weeks.

I've got that, physics 2 and the MCAT and I will be dropping applications to prove my thesis that physicians are not that smart because Rand Paul has a medical degree and that I, forums user maffew buildings, may one day prove that as a baseline I am no stupider than Rand Paul

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well he's an unlicensed eye doctor.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hekk posted:

You are going to go to school for six months so you can get back like 3,000 dollars? That seems like a substantial investment for very little return.

I would also be receiving BAH for that period, along with my education. Take some basket weaving or kayaking class or some poo poo, get paid to recreate, and get my money back@!!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You have to be above half time to get BAH money, and it's prorated depending on what percentage of full time you are. That's going to be a significant time investment for some BS classes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Cojawfee posted:

You have to be above half time to get BAH money, and it's prorated depending on what percentage of full time you are. That's going to be a significant time investment for some BS classes.

You say this like its a bad thing? There's plenty of BS classes I took that were better and of more use than required classes. Go hog wild.

I signed up for classes at the local cc for the fall semester but took a 5 week sailing job so now I'm going to have to delay my dance associates for a semester.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It also has to be part of a degree plan. The VA won't just pay for whatever.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
If anyone is listening in the echo chamber I am still unable to apply for FTA (federal tuition assistance) for my classes this Fall. The school said they'd have all our information uploaded to ArmyIgnited last week and an email would go out yesterday about how to apply. Nope. Tuition was due today, blew basically all of my FAFSA/school grants on it. Hopefully they get it working and will reimburse me part of the aid package.

The cool thing is I (rarely, occasionally) listened to advice and only have Fall and Spring left before I graduate, and I saved aggressively just in case and could pay for it all out of pocket at this point if I had to. So when FAFSA threatens to cut my aid off because my total credit hour amount is too high (because JST gave me 20+ credit hours of BS military stuff that didn't apply/transfer as anything) I didn't have to panic!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

It also has to be part of a degree plan. The VA won't just pay for whatever.

Why are you ruining this for me!??!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Better to learn now than to register for classes and the certifier at your school tells you to piss off.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I never thought I would encounter something that makes me go 'wow wish I was back in organic chemistry' but WELP. O-chem may be a total kick in the jimmies but at the end of the day I understand it, it's a big puzzle and I can look at it and go 'oh, ok, cool that's what's happening'. This poo poo, though? Eeesh

I SINCERELY REGRET THIS STATEMENT

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

pwnd

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
My school has been failing to get my masters program approved for GI Bill since May.

What a clownshow.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

I warned you!

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Got my BS in Health Science Studies with a double minor in Biology and Psychology and my BA in Liberal Studies in May.... and then I kind of fell into a pit of self wallowing depression and anxiety. My housing fell through a few hours before the Olympic opening ceremony and I've been living in a filthy, quasi legal poo poo hole hovel since then which on one hand did not help my mental state but on the other really pushed me out of my comfort zone and at least today I made more progress in applying to grad schools than I had since May. This kind of still sucks though since I already blew a lot of deadlines and the rest are very quickly approaching. I just kind of needed to vent a little but I also wanted to ask if a graduate school asking for a CV is normal? There is a school in my home state I wouldn't mind attending (like I wouldn't mind attending anywhere really at this point if they'd take me) but does anyone know of any good CV builders, paid or not? Any that are especially good with military experience since I have extensive medical experience in military hospitals, civilian hospitals, and deployed locations practicing respiratory therapy and a myriad of other more general medical things?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I used this goon for a resume but he does CVs and academic writing as well: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2832510

I wound up tweaking a bunch of stuff over the months as I got a better feel for the industry I was shifting into but I wouldn't have even been close if I'd tried it on my own.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Thank you, I knew there was at least one goon CV writer but had heard over the years mixed things about at least one of them but I looked over your link and the guy seems to have really great reviews and you used him recently and had a positive experience so I’lll definitely look into hopefully using him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So my voc rehab adventure is going the way you'd expect for me.

My education counselor at the Huntington, WV, VARO told me she'd approve me for VR&E.

Then she told me she's denying my claim because for some reason she can't approve it from her station. The Discord goons help me figure out that it's because only the Pittsburgh office can approve VR&E for a program in the UK, which I tell to my counselor. She tells me she'll look into it, then gets back to me and says the ball is rolling but she can't hand off my case to Pittsburgh until I'm physically in the UK.

So once I'm physically in the UK I drop my counselor a line so the handoff can happen.

A week later I ask for a status check and get a reply saying that Pittsburgh said no, along with the official letter denying me dated the previous day. Why was I denied?

quote:

In accordance with 38 CFR 21.130, training outside the U.S. may only be authorized if the Veteran’s education and training is determined not available in the U. S.; or training is available in the U.S., but personal hardship would result from requiring the claimant to pursue training in the U.S.

To address the first point I got a letter from my programme director stating that I can't get this training in the U.S. because, as it turns out, the primary sources required for examining the international impact of the American Civil War do not exist within the United States. Weird, that.

To address the second point FrozenVent was industrious enough to find out what the definition of "personal hardship" is according to 38 CFR, which was vague but included "unexpected financial personal expense." Which, y'know. Yeah. I'd have to fly back from Scotland ($), take the GRE ($), and apply to new schools ($).

I wrote a nice letter basically saying "training not available within US and personal hardship, assholes" to go along with the letter from my programme director and the actual appeal form.

Which had to be mailed.

So I printed everything, signed it, scanned it, and emailed it to my dad who mailed it to them Priority Mail. Then I contacted my senator's office and said "round two, ding ding." They said "let us know when the appeal is rolling and we'll help" since I need this done sooner rather than later.

According to USPS the appeal was delivered to the VA regional office that handles VR&E appeals on the 13th. Yesterday I reached out to my contact at the senator's office and said "well they've had it for more than two weeks now, either it's been processed and I just haven't heard back yet or they're dragging their feet which is also something that needs to be addressed."

Nothing ever goes smoothly.

McNally fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 30, 2021

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

So my voc rehab adventure is going the way you'd expect for me.

My education counselor at the Huntington, WV, VARO told me she'd approve me for VR&E.

Then she told me she's denying my claim because for some reason she can't approve it from her station. The Discord goons help me figure out that it's because only the Pittsburgh office can approve VR&E for a program in the UK, which I tell to my counselor. She tells me she'll look into it, then gets back to me and says the ball is rolling but she can't hand off my case to Pittsburgh until I'm physically in the UK.

So once I'm physically in the UK I drop my counselor a line so the handoff can happen.

A week later I ask for a status check and get a reply saying that Pittsburgh said no, along with the official letter denying me dated the previous day. Why was I denied?

To address the first point I got a letter from my programme director stating that I can't get this training in the U.S. because, as it turns out, the primary sources required for examining the international impact of the American Civil War do not exist within the United States. Weird, that.

To address the second point FrozenVent was industrious enough to find out what the definition of "personal hardship" is according to 38 CFR, which was vague but included "unexpected financial personal expense." Which, y'know. Yeah. I'd have to fly back from Scotland ($), take the GRE ($), and apply to new schools ($).

I wrote a nice letter basically saying "training not available within US and personal hardship, assholes" to go along with the letter from my programme director and the actual appeal form.

Which had to be mailed.

So I printed everything, signed it, scanned it, and emailed it to my dad who mailed it to them Priority Mail. Then I contacted my senator's office and said "round two, ding ding." They said "let us know when the appeal is rolling and we'll help" since I need this done sooner rather than later.

According to USPS the appeal was delivered to the VA regional office that handles VR&E appeals on the 13th. Yesterday I reached out to my contact at the senator's office and said "well they've had it for more than two weeks now, either it's been processed and I just haven't heard back yet or they're dragging their feet which is also something that needs to be addressed."

Nothing ever goes smoothly.

It’s a good program once you are in but yeah, sucks bro

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My experience with the VA during school taught me I never wanted to work with the VA for anything ever again. Good luck dude, I hope everything works out

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Eason the Fifth posted:

My experience with the VA during school taught me I never wanted to work with the VA for anything ever again. Good luck dude, I hope everything works out

At one point my career aim was to work for the VA after graduation and I'm so eternally grateful to the people that laughed at me when I told them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My experience with the VA for GI Bill and medical was overall positive up until the last few weeks at which point they condensed 21 months of missed out on bad service in to a small window