Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Man my last semester of undergrad was so loving good. Going to class high every morning, doing independent studies in the afternoon, flirting with the cutie behind the counter at the Chipotle on the way home. Call me verizon because I phoned that fucker in. Hope yours is just as good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Anyone know how long the VA's taking to process Post-9/11 GI Bill enrollment certifications right now? My school just sent them three - last semester, this semester, and the summertime.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Jesus, mine got processed the next day for this spring.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

maffew buildings posted:

Jesus, mine got processed the next day for this spring.

Well then fingers crossed mine get processed soon. I only just asked my school to go ahead and plug in my GI Bill, I'd been fighting with the VA for VR&E up until now.

Then I found out I could have been using GI Bill while fighting for VR&E. Dammit. Ah well, always nice to get that big chunk of backpay!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
You'll probably get your money at the end of the month or on the first.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
I just had a thought, and it wasn't about how I can't finish my work because I keep eating my crayon. (added crayon part to make it relevant to "some" vets)

I'm going back to school (at 41) for an associates in industrial maintenance. I got most of my gen. ed. crap out of the way years ago except a history class that I failed twice before. I'm taking this class again this semester after 16 years. As I was reading through some textbook and academic journal stuff I had the aforementioned thought....

I actually like learning about history. The problem is I've never found history classes to be conducive to learning for me. They always seem to be more like pseudo english/lit classes focused less on learning history and more on making sure that your paraphrases are formatted and structured the right loving way. And I hate english/lit classes. Only reason I passed eng. comp 1 and 2 was that I'd always bullshit with the professor about punk bands.

I don't know if there is a general education/college subforum, but as a student/veteran I figure it's ok to post a random bit of bitching here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is the veteran college bitching thread.

In my own bit of news. I applied to my school with academic fresh start, which is a Texas law that says you can apply to school and they have to ignore all your credits from 10 years ago and earlier. For the past couple semesters, financial aid and the registrars office have been pestering me about having excessive hours. Then this semester they were all "You can't get your GI BIll because you have excess hours and aren't getting the resident rate." I finally get the registrar's office to respond to me about it and they say that they oopsied my paperwork when I applied and now I don't have excess hours anymore. Ugh.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 26, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

BounceBanana posted:

I just had a thought, and it wasn't about how I can't finish my work because I keep eating my crayon. (added crayon part to make it relevant to "some" vets)

I'm going back to school (at 41) for an associates in industrial maintenance. I got most of my gen. ed. crap out of the way years ago except a history class that I failed twice before. I'm taking this class again this semester after 16 years. As I was reading through some textbook and academic journal stuff I had the aforementioned thought....

I actually like learning about history. The problem is I've never found history classes to be conducive to learning for me. They always seem to be more like pseudo english/lit classes focused less on learning history and more on making sure that your paraphrases are formatted and structured the right loving way. And I hate english/lit classes. Only reason I passed eng. comp 1 and 2 was that I'd always bullshit with the professor about punk bands.

I don't know if there is a general education/college subforum, but as a student/veteran I figure it's ok to post a random bit of bitching here.

I was a History major before I settled on English, and even coming from this angle, you're absolutely right. History is a lot more fun to learn about when it's about the history part. Not to point out an obvious solution, but scour ratemyprofessor if that's still around (or your school's version of it), find reviews for a prof who's cool and easy and makes the class interesting, then call yourself Verizon and phone it in. If you're taking a class because of gen ed requirements and it doesn't do anything for the field you want to pursue, don't feel bad about taking the easiest path of least resistance. If colleges want to use the 'students-as-customers' approach, then throw it back in their face. If you're paying for it you should enjoy it.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 26, 2022

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I’ve been lucky in that pretty much all of my professors other than my English/writing requirement classes didn’t care too much about citations and formats as long as you actually cited and made an effort to have a consistent format.

This is a big improvement over how things were in my classes I took before I got too poor to continue and enlisted, so maybe try again.

Definitely check the rate my professor pages for any class you consider though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

You'll probably get your money at the end of the month or on the first.

But I want it nooowww

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Call J G Wentworth, 877 CASH NOW

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I WANT TO EAT A HAGGIS AND I NEED CASH NOW!!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Internet Wizard posted:

I’ve been lucky in that pretty much all of my professors other than my English/writing requirement classes didn’t care too much about citations and formats as long as you actually cited and made an effort to have a consistent format.

This is a big improvement over how things were in my classes I took before I got too poor to continue and enlisted, so maybe try again.

Definitely check the rate my professor pages for any class you consider though.

If this is your issue, Microsoft has everything built in for citations and if you're really getting in to it you go with Mendeley or other tracking software. I think the first paper was a little rough and I had to put in a bit of effort but its easy once you're comfortable.

Any class I was just kinda cruising in I still did my best to show that I wasn't just wasting the professors time, even the ones that didn't deserve it. I'm always an advocate for taking as many classes as you can tho.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

This is the veteran college bitching thread.

In my own bit of news. I applied to my school with academic fresh start, which is a Texas law that says you can apply to school and they have to ignore all your credits from 10 years ago and earlier. For the past couple semesters, financial aid and the registrars office have been pestering me about having excessive hours. Then this semester they were all "You can't get your GI BIll because you have excess hours and aren't getting the resident rate." I finally get the registrar's office to respond to me about it and they say that they oopsied my paperwork when I applied and now I don't have excess hours anymore. Ugh.

I left PSU with a 1.98 GPA (before going to the Navy). I tried to get into University of Washington and WSU and was unsuccessful twice after, even after posting 4.0's at a community college. PSU has an Academic Senate policy that if you've been out for 4 years and had less than a 2.0 you can get the same. Only way I have a BS and almost an MS today.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I left PSU with a 1.98 GPA (before going to the Navy). I tried to get into University of Washington and WSU and was unsuccessful twice after, even after posting 4.0's at a community college. PSU has an Academic Senate policy that if you've been out for 4 years and had less than a 2.0 you can get the same. Only way I have a BS and almost an MS today.

Shamelessly playing the veteran card can really help with that too. It's a pretty easy argument to make, "Yeah I was young and dumb and hosed up now I'd like a second shot"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Now I'm wondering if I even got in due to academic fresh start or if they accepted me based on all my credits, including the ones where I had like a 1.8 GPA.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Shamelessly playing the veteran card can really help with that too. It's a pretty easy argument to make, "Yeah I was young and dumb and hosed up now I'd like a second shot"

Shameless essays were written, I assure you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My essay was all about how I was a big dipshit before, but joining the military made me a big responsible boy and now I finally want to do goodly at college.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Mendeley is owned by evil Elsevier. Zotero is run by hippie librarians. Use Zotero for your citation management needs!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I use Google docs and zotero for all of my paper needs, and they’re great. Way better than paying for Office

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cojawfee posted:

Call J G Wentworth, 877 CASH NOW

I have to dig it out of my camera roll, but I took pictures of the officially sponsored JG Wentworth Trafeo Series Lamborghini Aventador.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Internet Wizard posted:

I use Google docs and zotero for all of my paper needs, and they’re great. Way better than paying for Office

Your school doesn't have software included? Mostly cause Google sheets is a poor Excel substitute if you need it.

The main point is that there are plenty of software options to assist with your formatting and writing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Your school almost certainly has an office 365 sub. You can sign in using your school email. MS basically gives poo poo to schools because it locks you in.

Since 2002 I've attended five colleges across two states and each one had full MS software suites free for student use.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
"Processing time for certification is less than six days," they said.

Goddamned VA.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

"Processing time for certification is less than six days," they said.

Goddamned VA.

Oh, I'm sorry, you thought we went Earth days. We at the VA are currently using Venus for our day cycle. Thank you for understanding.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone know how this texting to verify enrollment thing works? I said yes to do the verity by text but haven't gotten anything else to actually verify my enrollment to get my money.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone know how this texting to verify enrollment thing works? I said yes to do the verity by text but haven't gotten anything else to actually verify my enrollment to get my money.

E: nm that might not be a scam wtf.

I’ve been blocking those texts because they look just like loving spam. God damnit no wonder I haven’t been paid yet. This is loving stupid.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 29, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I thought it was a scam at first, but I looked it up and now you have to verify your enrollment after December 2021, and the VA site said the best way is to verify by text.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I thought it was a scam at first, but I looked it up and now you have to verify your enrollment after December 2021, and the VA site said the best way is to verify by text.

The only ways to verify are via text, email if you don't have a cell phone on file, or by calling the number during regular business hours and talk to a person. There is no way to verify online or any other way. If you delete the text, you're just hosed.

This is so loving stupid, and doesn't solve the problem it's allegedly meant to solve. They say this is to ensure that benefits aren't paid out to people who aren't actually enrolled or attending. This does nothing to stop someone from registering and never attending class. If certifying officials are committing fraud, this doesn't stop it, either.

All this does is delay payment of benefits and kick people off of benefits for failure to jump a bureaucratic hurdle. This is just done to gently caress people. I'm going to to call all my congresspeople to bitch on Monday as well, because this is dumb. It also looks exactly like a phishing text that I have had beat into my head to treat as scams.

I will admit that I missed a note in a form email from my certifying official that they would do this. I wondered why I hadn't gotten any of my gi bill payments this year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://blogs.va.gov/VAntage/99204/post-9-11-students-at-va-institutions-of-higher-learning-ihl-now-required-to-verify-enrollment-monthly/

They want to inconvenience everyone in order to save the hassle of someone dropping their classes, receiving benefits and the having a debt. Wow, cool, glad the few people who do that are protected.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ok, I replied "yes" to the text yesterday and then got what I think is my book stipend. So I guess I did it. I'll see if I get my BAH on Monday.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I hope updating my mobile number to my Google Voice number worked, but I've heard that VA and GI Bill often work off separate databases so they might have my old number on file.

loving hell.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

I hope updating my mobile number to my Google Voice number worked, but I've heard that VA and GI Bill often work off separate databases so they might have my old number on file.

loving hell.

See if you have any emails from them about verification or just call 8884424551 monday morning.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’ve seen a lot of people complaining (edit: mostly in my campus vets Facebook group) about not getting the BAH on Friday but like, disability hasnt paid either so I’m expecting it’ll be Monday like usual

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I can't tell if the text I got was to opt in to verify via text or if I verified. I'm sure this will go fine and we won't see large numbers of veterans not get paid despite doing what is asked of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it was both? My text says "Post 9/11 GI Bill housing and kicker payments now require monthly enrollment verification. Would you like to submit yours via text? Please reply Yes or No." So it sounds like it's asking if you would like to do it via text and are you enrolled. Though I don't know what happens if you say no to that. Does that mean no you aren't enrolled? Or no don't do text, send an email? If you don't reply to the text within 3 days or something, it is supposed to default to email.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

I think it was both? My text says "Post 9/11 GI Bill housing and kicker payments now require monthly enrollment verification. Would you like to submit yours via text? Please reply Yes or No." So it sounds like it's asking if you would like to do it via text and are you enrolled. Though I don't know what happens if you say no to that. Does that mean no you aren't enrolled? Or no don't do text, send an email? If you don't reply to the text within 3 days or something, it is supposed to default to email.

I didn't reply to the text more than a week ago and have received no email. I'm pretty sure their system is hosed and is going to cause a lot of headaches for us and poor va employees.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It looks like once you're on hold for 14 minutes or so, you get stuck in a loop of the automated system reading off additional options. I have been trying to get ahold of a person for more than 40 minutes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I gave up after getting stuck in the infinite loop the second time and called my congressman's office instead. I got my payments this month, but I have no idea if I will next month or what I can do to verify my enrollment since I have to talk to a person and the automated system is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I gave up after getting stuck in the infinite loop the second time and called my congressman's office instead. I got my payments this month, but I have no idea if I will next month or what I can do to verify my enrollment since I have to talk to a person and the automated system is broken.

Well this is gonna suck. Sounds like I'm not gonna get paid even when they do verify my enrollment.