Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I have not had an awful lot of pushback from my VA staff on hours. I can't imagine there would be difficulty, especially if there is a certificate involved. I'll probably have this problem, as I have 2+ months left with 2 credits over two semesters. I would like to fully exhaust my GI Bill hours. This thread has suggested in the past that if you have an hour left on your benefits, it will pay for an entire full-time semester. I have also not seen this exactly codified anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah, I know the month of remaining benefit-hours will pay the tuition up front (but not the living stipend for class time after exhaustion of benefits), no problem there. My question is whether the classes would be eligible, given that they are community college classes, so presumably 1000- or 2000-level and I have already finished my bachelor's. My guess was that you could only use the benefits for progressively higher levels of education, i.e. it won't pay for more undergrad, but I could use it towards graduate studies. I have no idea if that's correct, though.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Also I want to burn that last month so I can have my $1200 back

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have no idea how much or if I have any left and if I could use GI Bill benefits for CCENT or something that'd be awesome. How do I check what's left?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I think you can use them for whatever degree you want, you don't have to go for ascending levels of accreditation. I don't have anything to cite for this but I do recall having a conversation with a VA educational rep when I was considering getting my Thomas Edison Nuclear Engineering Technology Degree that it wouldn't effect my eligibility for a real degree.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

bird food bathtub posted:

I have no idea how much or if I have any left and if I could use GI Bill benefits for CCENT or something that'd be awesome. How do I check what's left?

Your CoE you can download from the VA site should tell you how much time you have left. You can use it for certs.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Well all of my face-to-face classes just got suspended til March 30th at the earliest. Everything is supposed to transition to online to continue the semester, so I'm going to be taking part of my spring break to head back to move my poo poo out since there's no reason for me to be on campus, and hopefully they'll let me break the lease early. I guess they're gearing up for some pretty spicy 'roni.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Ruh roh.

quote:

The Department of Veterans Affairs is suspending educational benefits for new students enrolling in programs at five universities, citing “erroneous, deceptive, or misleading” enrollment practices, Military Times has learned.

In an email to congressional offices, the VA identified University of Phoenix, Colorado Technical University, American InterContinental University, Bellevue University and Temple University as in violation of U.S. law which prohibits illegal “advertising, sales, or enrollment practices.”

From https://www.militarytimes.com/2020/03/09/va-suspends-certifications-for-five-universities-over-deceptive-enrollment-practices/.

I'm still fuzzy from being pre-coffee, but that's probably going to apply to any service related education benefit in short order.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 10, 2020

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm surprised DeVos still lets anyone use their GI Bill at a legit college. Of course I'm surprised she's made it this far without calling someone a "loving serf" right to their face.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Not letting University of Phoenix swindle troops out of their GI Bill sounds cool to me

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

Not letting University of Phoenix swindle troops out of their GI Bill sounds cool to me

:same:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

Obama banned them for a while and their lobbyists threw a fit.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

US Berder Patrol posted:

Yeah gently caress that place. The degree is worthless to almost any employer anyway.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Buried lede-Temple is a real school and it’s lumped in with those jamokes

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.
hey do military pharmacies carry plan b?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

Buried lede-Temple is a real school and it’s lumped in with those jamokes

Yeah. I'd expect to see Southern New Hampshire before I'd see Temple. Hell, I don't think I've seen a Temple ad, and I live 90 minutes from campus. Pretty sure they have a Harrisburg campus too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I looked closer and apparently their business school lied on quant data they sent to US News & World Report about their online MBA.

Imagine hiring someone with an online MBA

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GD_American posted:

Imagine hiring someone with an online MBA

What’s wrong with an online MBA again? UC Berkeley sends me fliers about their Online Masters in Computer Science.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I view online degrees from any school, no matter the prestige of the name, as equivalent to a U of Phoenix degree. Maybe public perception has shifted, I don’t know. Just my opinion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some online schools that are connected to real universities are starting to give people degrees with the name of the real school on them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GD_American posted:

I view online degrees from any school, no matter the prestige of the name, as equivalent to a U of Phoenix degree. Maybe public perception has shifted, I don’t know. Just my opinion.

I spent a lot of time and effort working towards a degree through UMUC (or University of Maryland Global Campus now). Some of it was in person and some of it was online. As an actual adult with a family and a job, there was zero chance of me just saying, “whelp some guy on the internet doesn’t think this format is prestigious enough so I am going to retire and then spend four years at a regular school as a student in my forties”.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It depends wildly on the field, the school, and the candidate's base experience. Almost to the point where it's silly to try and pick it apart.

There's some online schools which will accomplish the mission of getting you a degree, a real degree. That's what a place like UMUC is. But it's *just* a degree, it's not going to open any networking opportunities like a magic spell. If that's what you need, and what you know you need, it does that job nicely.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My school announced all classes will be remote as of Monday so countdown to the VA cutting my benefits for being enrolled in distance learning

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/nathanwpyle/status/1237865978832113665?s=19

Mood from undergrad; now it is just papers

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hekk posted:

I spent a lot of time and effort working towards a degree through UMUC (or University of Maryland Global Campus now). Some of it was in person and some of it was online. As an actual adult with a family and a job, there was zero chance of me just saying, “whelp some guy on the internet doesn’t think this format is prestigious enough so I am going to retire and then spend four years at a regular school as a student in my forties”.

Then it wasn't an online degree.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Penn State about 4 hours ago said that classes are remote until 4/6. All campuses. It was very strongly worded that people should not return to campus unless necessary (unless faculty, working on dissertation, or on assistantship).

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 12, 2020

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
FAU doing the online thing until further notice

I guess formula sae gonna be off this year

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I'm in the Virtual Academic Center (online) for my MSW through USC and my professor today made the joke that we were ahead of the curve compares to his on ground students. They now have to learn how to not be self conscious being able to see yourself in a zoom meeting. Now just hoping no one gets sick at my internship since we help individuals living with HIV

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Private university near me just announced all classes were to be online after spring break, and was kicking everyone out of the dorms.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GD_American posted:

The degree I'm getting at the end of this term still has the main university's name on it. It was not economical for me to leave the job market to pursue education which would keep me from becoming irrelevant. Call it a U of Phx degree if you want, my industry sees it as legit and I did legit work for it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

My school announced all classes will be remote as of Monday so countdown to the VA cutting my benefits for being enrolled in distance learning

https://www.militarytimes.com/education-transition/2020/03/11/lawmakers-move-to-protect-gi-bill-payouts-amid-college-coronavirus-closings/

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Good thing I graduated in December. Not doing chem labs would be detrimental.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

GD_American posted:

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion.

Just please, I implore you: do some research the next time the issue comes up professionally for you before firing both barrels with your current thinking.

The world, industries and schools have changed since UoP was the only real player.

I hope your future employment see’s you in management or with hiring authority- and with that hope I also hope you will revisit the issue and not just go with your gut on this.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion.

Just please, I implore you: do some research the next time the issue comes up professionally for you before firing both barrels with your current thinking.

The world, industries and schools have changed since UoP was the only real player.

I hope your future employment see’s you in management or with hiring authority- and with that hope I also hope you will revisit the issue and not just go with your gut on this.

Yeah I’m aware my opinion will one day be outdated and already comes with asterisks. Think of the general view on online dating in 1994 versus now.

I took a few online classes to get my bachelor’s; I thought they were a gigantic waste of time and learned much less than classroom, but I had to do it to graduate on schedule. That and the couple of online-only degree folks I work with, who are pretty much the bottom of the roster, plus the SNCOs with Homeland Security degrees I had to deal with.

Believe me, I’m not being elitist about my own Ed. I have a bachelors in business from South Alabama, pretty much the “well, it’s technically a degree” of education. I’ll just always believe traditional classroom instruction is inherently better.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

not caring here posted:

FAU doing the online thing until further notice

I guess formula sae gonna be off this year

UCONN as well

Online judging :frog:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
All MBAs are worthless, in person or online

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

M_Gargantua posted:

All MBAs are worthless, in person or online

:hmmyes:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MBAs are very useful for quickly identifying useless people.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Today I got offered a paid postgraduate position for a PhD in EE. If I was 22 I'd probably take that offer since $24k is something, especially given the recession that's about to hit. But I think I would be miserable doing it so I'm going to take my chances that the big government contractors are still gonna need new engineering hires even with a big market downturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

GD_American posted:

Yeah I’m aware my opinion will one day be outdated and already comes with asterisks. Think of the general view on online dating in 1994 versus now.

I took a few online classes to get my bachelor’s; I thought they were a gigantic waste of time and learned much less than classroom, but I had to do it to graduate on schedule. That and the couple of online-only degree folks I work with, who are pretty much the bottom of the roster, plus the SNCOs with Homeland Security degrees I had to deal with.

Believe me, I’m not being elitist about my own Ed. I have a bachelors in business from South Alabama, pretty much the “well, it’s technically a degree” of education. I’ll just always believe traditional classroom instruction is inherently better.

Online has moved into the mainstream in the last 5-10 years and a lot of T1 universities offer degrees that are in-person equivalents and there is no way to differentiate. One of the big draws, especially for grad programs, is that people cant afford to take a year or two off and move across country to attend school. Half of my learning in grad school was done by youtube anyways.