Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So first I got a letter from my school congratulating me for making Dean's List for my great semester! Hooray!

Then I got a letter saying I'm on academic probation because my overall GPA sucks. Boo!

My crappy academic performance from five years ago is weighing me down, so I applied for academic forgiveness. The school says to qualify, I needed a five year break between the end of my last semester and starting up with them. I was three months short of five full years, but I was told to go ahead and apply anyway.

A week or so later I got a letter saying my application was denied because I didn't meet the five year break that state policy requires. So I looked up the policy and the state says I only need four years.

So when classes start up next week I'm going to see my advisor to ask him what the gently caress. If it's a school policy, fuckin' say so and don't hide behind the state.

Jesus, it's like trying to nail jello to the wall. Why can't poo poo go smoothly for once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you aren't engaging with your professors by finding out their favorite booze and getting them a bottle you're doing it wrong.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
What the gently caress kind of lower division history class assigns 170 pages of reading the first week?

It's loving US history since 1865, not a grad school course. Most of the students in the class aren't even history majors.

Jesus Christ.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

Higher education is as much about figuring out how to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to being faced with large amounts of information as it is anything else.

Yeah, but this seems a little excessive. I'm taking an upper division class this semester too, and the reading assignments are nowhere near as long.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The 2017 FAFSA uses your 2015 tax information.

Which means I'm going to have to go to the financial aid office and say "everything came apart at the very end of 2015 and I made eight dollars in 2016, hook me up with a Pell Grant please."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So today I went to drop off my paperwork for my special circumstances appeal for my FAFSA. Turns out they didn't give me all the forms I needed.

Oh, and copies of my tax returns aren't good enough. They need my *tax transcript* which I can only get from the IRS.

So I go to the website they tell me to go to and I need to create an account

IRS asks me for my name, SSN, and address as it appears on my last tax return. No problem! They accepted my 2016 return, so let me put that info in.

Wrong info, says IRS.

Hmm. Maybe try abbreviating Street in my address?

No.

Hmm. Try it without the suffix on my name?

No.

Without the suffix, write out Street?

No. Also you're locked out, get hosed.

It dawns on me about three hours later that my last tax return was 2013, I'd been filing jointly with my wife since then and since it was her TurboTax account (free filing for .mil!), her name was at the top.

Okay, let me try creating an account under her name.

Unable to create an account for this user.

Yeah, makes sense. She's dead and everything.

So I did it by phone and they're going to mail me a copy in 5 to 10 business days. In the meantime, I'm going to try registering again tomorrow now that I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Why can't poo poo ever just go smoothly?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

Dude. Stay away from the ocean. You're liable to end up in a whale's belly.

I got other poo poo going on too!

I made Dean's List last semester! But I'm also on academic probation because I did pretty poorly at my last school (and going back to school immediately after getting back from Iraq ended up being a mistake).

My school has an academic forgiveness policy where you can apply to have your Fs (and also your Ds if you ask nicely) removed from your GPA calculation, so I applied.

I got a letter back saying they had to deny my application because, per state policy, I needed to have a five year break from being a full time student and I had a mere four years, eight months, and three weeks. I looked up the state policy and the state policy is only four years.

So I went to my advisor with the letter and a copy of the state's policy and said "if it's a school policy, then the school can make an exception. But they're saying it's a state policy, and I figure you know how to be more diplomatic than me marching into the registrar's office and saying 'you're wrong, gently caress you.'"

So a couple weeks go by and he writes me back saying "so I looked into it and it turns out that the five year thing is an institutional policy, and the state policy says the institution can be more stringent if they choose. Maybe we can contact your old school and see if they can do anything on their end?"

I wrote back and said "my old school won't care, I'm not giving them money anymore. Also their forgiveness policy is 'retake a class to replace a bad grade. Oh and you can only do this for 12 credit hours.' Can't we ask about the school making an exception, since this is their policy? What can I possibly have learned in that three months and a week that I didn't learn from the other four years and nine months? It's like I'm being punished for coming back to school too soon. It seems like they're hiding behind the state policy to dissuade me from pursuing anything, making it seem like they're suggesting it's out of their hands."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So my advisor suggested I talk to the registrar, so I went over there and after a lot of back and forth, I was told that the state minimum for academic forgiveness is, indeed, four years but they also let schools set stricter policies, and the school's policy is five.

"Is there some life lesson the school expects me to have learned in the three months I'm short of that I didn't already learn in the preceding four years and nine months?" I asked.

"I can't address that," she said. Basically saying that the policy is the policy, nothing can be done.

"Is there an appeals process?" I ask. There is! And I'm told how to pursue it. "Why isn't this information in the letter you sent me?" I asked.

"Students usually come and ask after they get the letter," I'm told. Basically "we didn't tell you because you didn't ask."

So I go over to the advising assistance center to get the forms and see I need my advisor's signature too, so I take the forms to get his signature.

Turns out that during his back-and-forth with the registrar's office on this, they never told him there was an appeals process either.

What the unholy gently caress.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

That's an intentionally unhelpful motherfucker.

My department is amazing and I had an amazing fall semester.

But the registrar's office almost had me telling them that I'm withdrawing from school SMDFTB.

I was pretty angry.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

So my advisor suggested I talk to the registrar, so I went over there and after a lot of back and forth, I was told that the state minimum for academic forgiveness is, indeed, four years but they also let schools set stricter policies, and the school's policy is five.

"Is there some life lesson the school expects me to have learned in the three months I'm short of that I didn't already learn in the preceding four years and nine months?" I asked.

"I can't address that," she said. Basically saying that the policy is the policy, nothing can be done.

"Is there an appeals process?" I ask. There is! And I'm told how to pursue it. "Why isn't this information in the letter you sent me?" I asked.

"Students usually come and ask after they get the letter," I'm told. Basically "we didn't tell you because you didn't ask."

So I go over to the advising assistance center to get the forms and see I need my advisor's signature too, so I take the forms to get his signature.

Turns out that during his back-and-forth with the registrar's office on this, they never told him there was an appeals process either.

What the unholy gently caress.

Okay, so update on all this bullshit. After I spoke with my advisor, I went to the dean of students and said "the registrar's office was deliberately stonewalling me and my advisor on this" and basically told my story from the beginning (with four part harmony) and was basically rewarded with a combination of horror and incredulity. But I was told that I should submit the paperwork I got from advising assistance.

Turns out what I was given wasn't an appeals form, it was an application for a policy exemption.

Anyway, long story short is that my application was approved and now I have a non-poo poo GPA.

Gotta take math again, though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

Holy gently caress, not again. It's five minutes 'til, there's supposed to be an exam today, and there's nobody here.

WHAT THE gently caress

If you're only wearing your underwear, you might be asleep.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Yeah, but I bought a .58 caliber rifle, so there!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Welp, just got my grades back for the second semester. Didn't quite make dean's list this time, but still a decent showing.

Never thought I'd get disappointed by Bs.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Don't be too impressed, I saw him copy that off his neighbor's paper.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Zeris posted:

Is the class graded on a curve?
Did the teacher notice?
What country is cole from?
Was he doing it extra super duper disrespectfully?
DID. HE. POST. ABOUT. IT.

Most importantly: How do you feel about it?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Justin Tyme posted:

You guys wondering about paying for stuff: you're doing FAFSA every year right? Bennies aren't taxable income and if you're living off the GI Bill your income should be pitiful enough to qualify for full Pell grants. Save that grant money to pay for the cost of living/housing/tuition once your bennies run out, depending on your school it should be enough to at least only make you worry about what to eat, and not being homeless.

I'm doing some high-paying internships this year though so the days of grant monies are probably over for me. If you plan things out smart enough I bet you could stretch grants and the GI bill to pay all the way up to a Master's if not scratch into a PhD.

It's worth pointing out that for our purposes, Pell Grants ARE considered taxable income for those of us not using them to pay for tuition and books. Pell Grant money that is not used for qualifying educational expenses is considered taxable income.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TBeats posted:

you only have to file a tax return if you gross $10,350 in 2016 (not sure about before). so if a pell grant is your only source of taxable income, you're covered unless you're getting waaaaaaaaay more than i am.

I'm also getting a taxable annuity from DOD as a surviving spouse.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Gray Matter posted:

That's where I thought it should be, but can you provide me an idiot's guide to finding the info?

When I go to "login > Payment History > Display All", it tells me no payment information is available to display.

Yeah, I had that problem for the longest time. It wasn't just payment info, it was goddamned everything.

I had to contact their helpdesk a couple times to get it fixed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Sir Lucius posted:

what do business majors do?

They do major business.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Well hello there book stipend. Semester starts on the 28th -- not sure when my VA dude sent stuff off though so don't use me as a gauge for when you should get yours.

I got an email from the VA saying that my enrollment certification was sent to them on the 7th. Classes for me also start the 28th.

Still waiting on my book stipend.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Still waiting on my book stipend and my first class starts in 15 minutes. Called them to ask what's up and all I could get from them was that it hasnt processed yet, it usually takes about 14 business days and "maybe you can buy your books from a different source and then reimburse yourself when the money arrives."

I don't even know what this means. Thanks, VA.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TheQuietWilds posted:

I've stopped wondering when the VA/my school will get their poo poo together, and now I just make sure I save up a bunch of money to tide me over for the first month or two of the semester while I wait for payments to kick in. It happens like this every time, so I just deal.

Yeah, I can afford to buy my books now. It's having the VA tell me "PC load letter" that's throwing me off.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

Use a credit card.

No.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Classes started for me on the 28th, but because there are 31 days in August I'm only getting three days of housing allowance.

In a non-VA note, there's a table across from me in the student center where they're selling free trade poo poo. Should I go over there and tell them that free trade goods are inferior because people don't work as diligently as when someone with an AK is standing over their shoulder?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

i get really annoyed when professors require students to go to events outside of classroom time. once in a while is okay, but i have to do three this week, another next week, and then in a few weeks i have to take a 30 minute drive to another one. and all of these fuckers take place at 8pm or later except for the one that is out of town.

if they weren't mandatory and were for extra credit that would be great.

gently caress that noise, man.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

rifles posted:

I read a lot of GIP before enlisting so a little bit of my retardation was negated.. I'm only guard, never active, so I'm going on a state scholarship, not post 9/11. I'm pretty happy so far, just hit 2 years TIS and got e4, I entered as an E1 and am past most of my peers that entered at E3 with an associates, and right along the idiots that enlisted with a bachelors

I'm peeping yoga butts daily and getting laid often instead of living in a barracks in the 82nd lmao

You're never going to qualify for Post 9/11 GI Bill, though. At least not 100%. Hell, you're probably not going to get 50%. You know that, right?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
[quote="Vasudus" post=""477912281”"]
Nobody, and I mean nobody, EVER wants a congressperson involved. Find out who your specific rep is and email their office. Congresspeople extra love it because they're helping ARE TROOPS.

Mention right out the gate that you're a constituent, a registered voter, and a disabled combat veteran. They'll come running.
[/quote]

Hahahahaha

Oh, you’re serious. Let me laugh even harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

it has gone McNally.

lol

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I transferred into my current school with a crap GPA (something like a 1.9). Turns out there's an academic forgiveness policy that lets you have the Fs and Ds you transfer in with taken off your GPA calculation, provided you've been out of school for at least five calendar years. So I apply, even though I was only out of school for four years and nine months.

School comes back with "gotta be five years, that's a state policy, not ours." So I look up the policy: State policy is four years, my school is imposing a stricter standard by themselves.

So I take this poo poo to my advisor and he contacts the registrar to see if something can be worked out. A couple months later, he comes back with "well, I'm getting nowhere with the registrar. Maybe if you go talk to her yourself you'll get an immediate answer."

So I go talk to the registrar. "Five years is state policy," she says.

"State policy is four years."

"Well, school policy is five years."

"I'm at four years and nine months. What could I have possibly learned in that last three months that I hadn't already learned?"

"That's not my call to make."

So, frustrated, I thank her for her time and get up to leave. On my way out I ask if there's an appeals process. Well of course there is.

"Why wasn't information on the process included in the letter you sent denying my application?"

"Well, we've found that students tend to come ask after getting the letter."

So basically she said "because you didn't ask." So I go to my advisor and tell him about this.

"They didn't tell me there's an appeals process either."

So I went to the dean of students and complained about the registrar deliberately stonewalling me and my advisor. As a result of my complaint, the registrar was given an award at the end of the year for outstanding service for the university.

Anyway, my appeal was approved and my GPA shot up from "crap" to "not terrible." The whole process with the academic forgiveness took so long that it didn't kick in until the beginning of my second semester at this school. Which means I received two letters during the break: One congratulating me for making Dean's List and one warning me that I was on academic probation.

Anyway, grades got released this morning. I kind of phoned this semester in and half-assed everything.

Straight As. I, uh, don't really know how to feel about that.

My cumulative GPA is now a 2.98, I might actually break 3.0.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

lightpole posted:

I hate your school for you McNally.

Don't get me wrong, my school is great. But faculty and students all agree: the administration is awful.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

BigDave posted:

My school has straight up told me that I can't get off probation, that it's indefinite until I graduate.

I looked up the regulations, and nope you can get off of it if your cumulative GPA is over 2.5.

I talked to financial aid, they tell me it's up to Records & Admin. Records says it's Financial Aids territory.

:bang:

Go to the dean of students?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

Last time I did that, he said he "couldn't" do anything, made a snarky comment about his tax dollars and my tuition, then told me to keep in touch if I needed anything else and retired three weeks later. rear end in a top hat.

So you're saying that you haven't spoken to the dean of students. :v:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Anyone get their book stipend yet?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

Yeah, got mine the day after Christmas for whatever random reason.

Another guy just got his today, but he got all his paperwork in late. Our VA person at our school is really good though.

Well what the gently caress. I got the email from the VA saying they received my enrollment certification for this semester on December goddamned 12th.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I called them. Turns out that the system shows that they approved my stipend to be sent out on December 26th, then... didn't send it out.

Goddamnit, VA.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I had a problem with the registrar at my school and took it up with the dean of students.

They gave the registrar an award, but the two are probably unrelated.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Still no book stipend. Tuesday marks a week since I first called, so I expect I'll be calling again with a "what gives?"

After spending 20 minutes on hold, of course.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

Still no book stipend. Tuesday marks a week since I first called, so I expect I'll be calling again with a "what gives?"

After spending 20 minutes on hold, of course.

Apparently the requests to process a payment manually are "handled in the order they are received," which suggests to me that the VA is so monumentally hosed up that there's a loving backlog of payments that need to be manually inputted.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

boop the snoot posted:

if you feel like your spring semester book stipend is less than it should be

Hahahahaha.

Anyway, they still haven't sent mine yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The VA reports that they estimate it will take 30 days from the date of entry to process these manual payments, but they hope to do it in 14. Apparently their computers poo poo the bed and I (and apparently a bunch of others) exist in a state of limbo, with my enrollment simultaneously verified and unverified.

So I asked them to add a 20% late fee.

They said no.