Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Does anyone have experience with SMP? I'm an E3 in the OHARNG, will get E4 by tig/tis in July, and I've only been out of AIT for 7 months.. I want to go to Ohio State for a bachelor's in psych, I love their program and the campus and want to go full time, and my tuition is about 95% covered by the Ohio guard scholarship, but I can't afford living expenses as of yet and am trying to stay out of debt. I was surprised to even get accepted, my high school GPA was awful, test scores pretty good, but I'm 23 and haven't had any college. ROTC has a few scholarships that I'm pretty sure can be used to cover all my living expenses, and I'm open to the idea of a commission and going reserves or staying guard, preferably in another field (25B is ok but I wanted to do MI stuff in HUMINT or SIGINT) but aside from a new PL and a cadet in my company telling me I'd be good at it and it's the way to go, I have nobody to go on for experiences etc. I pretty much got no financial aid awards, just the standard federal loan options that aren't enough. It's all pretty dizzying.

Writing all this I guess I should just talk to the SMP recruiter heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Burning Beard posted:

Talk to the ROTC recruiter. You sound like somebody they would want, especially if you can pass PT and have guard experience. If they want you, a good roo will find a way with waivers. There should also be ROTC scholarships through the ONG, here they're called minuteman and commission you to the NG. Good friend of mine happens to be the Roo for the ROTC out here so I can pass general questions along. But ymmv in Ohio.

I'm gonna look into it, thanks.

I've got the IT experience and I'm working on certs to actually have a career with, and I've had a few internship offers, one from the research contracting company my brother does network infrastructure management for, and another from general dynamics at an office where one of his old employees now manages because I hang around and help them with stuff sometimes.. I just can't bring myself to even think about working on a 4 year degree with more computer poo poo, I don't want to program or do anything like that and I wouldn't be able to keep interest in it.

The only subject that has ever gotten me excited to study is psych so that's what I'm going with.

I enlisted after reading GIP for like three years so need I say more about dumb decisions???

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I am having fun being a college goon and pretending I'm not in the guard. Living back at home to be able to afford going sucks but it's a pretty cool school and close so whatever. I'm in developmental math because I suck at math but I'm really enjoying getting better at everything all the time, and doing some cool computer networking that I don't meet any prereqs for because the advisors were cool with me.

The green weenie already tried to gently caress me and got a lil bit of the tip in, though. Two weeks into my freshman year and I get alerted for a stateside for Irma. Spent a night packing, a weekend of extra-long drill, then Monday getting all my poo poo ready and missing class only to finally get called off Tuesday morning. Two loving weeks and I nearly had to drop classes. Everything has worked out so far though :unsmith:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

M_Gargantua posted:

You went guard rather than IRR?

I read a lot of GIP before enlisting so a little bit of my retardation was negated.. I'm only guard, never active, so I'm going on a state scholarship, not post 9/11. I'm pretty happy so far, just hit 2 years TIS and got e4, I entered as an E1 and am past most of my peers that entered at E3 with an associates, and right along the idiots that enlisted with a bachelors

I'm peeping yoga butts daily and getting laid often instead of living in a barracks in the 82nd lmao

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

McNally posted:

You're never going to qualify for Post 9/11 GI Bill, though. At least not 100%. Hell, you're probably not going to get 50%. You know that, right?

Yeah, I do. I'm going on a state guard scholarship that pays all of my tuition. Doesn't cover fees or books, and I don't end up with money in my pocket, but I'm going to school full time and not putting in 4 years before getting started so I'm pretty happy.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I went to a cybersecurity club meeting to check it out. The content was cool but I haven't been back because holy hell did that room stank

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
My national guard scholarship is still pending for the spring semester. I submitted the same request as I did for this past fall semester over a month ago, and my school's fee deadline (when they can drop my registration for not overdue fees) is Friday. Woo.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I finally got mine submitted last month for 1606 backpay from last semester and for this semester. I still don't have anything but "will be processed in the order it was received".

I probably should have gotten it all done last semester early on but every time I went to do it something was up and completely wrecking my schedule.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

DownByTheWooter posted:

I for one wish I had spent longer at city college grabbing my calculus and physics and poo poo rather than wasting whole semesters' worth of it failing those classes over and over again at a big university

I should have done this on my NG scholarship. I'm 2 semesters in and barely starting my degree program after all the core poo poo I needed. Riding the strugglebus through college algebra with a developmental portion after a semester of developmental prep class.

Glad they have a BA for computer science as an option so I can skip all the physics and chemistry bullshit in lieu of CS electives though.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Grem posted:

If you don't go back to school you can't go back to campus and peep yoga butts.

I peep yoga butts daily and sometimes get to touch them a+ would recommend college.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
First year on my BA in CS down (because I'm bad at math so lol CS electives instead of taking science and math classes) with a 4.0 both semesters.

Thanks national guard for paying for my poo poo and not deploying me so far I guess.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Does anyone have any advice for me as a transfer student trying to get scholarships? I'm going from a smaller school to Ohio State in the spring and the guard covers my tuition but I can't swing the living expenses out of pocket. I only get $1800 of pell a semester and am trying not to get into any debt. I didn't apply to any at this school this year because I missed the deadline in January but will apply for next year at OSU.

I have a 4.0 now, is there any chance that there's a scholarship that could do the job for me and cover an apartment and some chicken and rice to live on?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

MrDesaude posted:

From one of my guys in the area,

"There are lots of local scholarships, both local to columbus, as well as local to whatever his hometown is. They are usually small, in the 250-500 range. But you snag a couple of those each year and that can make quite a difference.

I know there are some veteran specific scholarships if you just google them, as well as some scholarships specifically reserved for current college kids rather than seniors in HS.

Have him go to the financial aid office on campus and talk to a campus expert there, Im sure they can give him a lot better advice than any of us likely can.

Thirdly, I know he is trying to avoid having any debt, but if taking out a small loan of 1,000 or so a semester makes the difference between living in a shack and eating ramen noodles vs an actual apartment, eating real food, and being comfortable instead of miserable, that could be the difference between enjoying school or being miserable for 4 years. And being comfortable while still living responsibly can help improve your mental health, your physical health, and your grades. While living in a shack under a bridge just to save money can affect all of those things.

Live frugally of course, but try to enjoy your time. Personally I think as long as you keep your debt down below 10,000 at the end of it, its completely manageable and can be paid off with little difficulty afterwards.

Last option, talk to the OSU ROTC office if hes really desperate. They have campus scholarships if hes so desperate for money that he would consider becoming an officer."

I concur with his small loan idea. I'm using the GI bill, but I still took out small student loans so I could reduce the financial suck and didn't have to work 2 jobs while doing school. (Having a life, wife, and responsibilities + school sucks rear end btw.) As long as you don't go bananas with the loans, you will be fine. Stable debt like student loans, car notes, and mortgages diversify your credit history and actually help build your credit in the long run.

Thanks so much. My plan was already to take a stafford loan to just sit as an emergency fund and to settle while I find a student job. My backup plan was indeed SMP ROTC scholarships even though I'd rather not be a Mustang.

I'll go talk to the financial aid office as soon as I can too.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Update on my Ohio State stuff for anyone that cares: I got accepted and my financial aid stuff got rated pretty quickly. My fafsa only gives $1500 a semester but the school gave me an automatic $3500 a semester grant that has made me very happy. With those together I can live on or off campus with or without a meal plan with no loans. I'm still eligible for a ton of scholarships that haven't been put out yet too.

Basically :hellyeah: I'm excited and happy.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'm in Discrete Structures and their Algorithms right now and stuff is starting to make sense and I'm not just going cross-eyed looking at the homework, so woo to that. All the advice given in here to go to the office hours is absolutely true, I'm having to struggle around my hours working on campus to make time but every time I go I'm that much better off.

In other news, my OSU application crap has kinda stalled. The grant they gave me is to fill in a gap in tuition coverage, when I apply my NG scholarship it'll disappear off my financial award, which is sad. So now I'm in the process of getting documentation to have my efc adjusted to hopefully get another $1500 of Pell for this semester at this school, and a full $3000 Pell a semester there at OSU starting in the spring. That'll have me at like $2500 out of pocket for the semester to live there and eat, and then I cross my fingers that I get some scholarships that I applied for earlier this year to cover for the remainder years. If not, maybe a ROTC scholarship or something dumb like that?? idk.

Does anyone have experience using the subsidized loans (Stafford)? I'm thinking of taking the $3500 offered there in the Spring and tossing it in a market savings account to accrue interest and give me a little financial buffer in case I need it for an emergency or something. Also I guess if I don't touch it and pay it off it'd be good for my credit too? I just got a deposit card finally because I've been procrastinating on building any credit for 6 years :rip: but taking the loan seems like a no-brainer as long as I don't spend it on something dumb.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I know I'm probably in the minority here but my opinion is: Are you going to be employed upon graduation? Don't sweat some student loans. There is nothing worse than being broke and worrying about a midterm at the same time. Just be responsible with your borrowing and concentrate on your studies.

Maybe?? It's hard to justify when I could continue at my current university and get a BA with easier coursework and actually end up with some decent money in my savings when I'm done. Switching schools is just what I want; my current is like a huge community college, everyone commutes and there's no campus life.

Honestly if I just come home to my parent's every summer and work I could swing it no problem without debt.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

The Aardvark posted:

Thank my vet status for early registration. Only 20 seats for the advanced physical chem lab I need to graduate. :smug:

I tried to use it at transferring in next semester to OSU and they wouldn't let me. Have to do it at orientation with an advisor per school policy (I've already met with an advisor woo)

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Woof Blitzer posted:

Filled out the FAFSA but my income last year was around 50k, so even though this school year I am going to be lucky to clear half that, I probably won’t get jack.

Do the income verification adjustment form like up the bum said. You'll need tax transcripts for the year in question and this year if you want to adjust it that way. Most schools will do an estimated incoming adjustment as well but I have no experience with that.

I did one this semester because I turned 24 and am finally considered independent of my parent's income. They based my fafsa on 2016 when I was on initial active duty for training for 7 months. Basically took the year off after and my income was just drill, so doing the adjustment form doubled my pell grant to the max.

In other news, I'm being offered a single room in the OSU vet house for $748 a month. That's still under what a shared dorm costs so I'm very happy.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'm taking Swahili at OSU because that's the only language course they had open for the Spring semester.

Because not letting transfer students that go and meet with an advisor and have their poo poo together a month before the first registration dates open do their registration until orientation day makes sense. Right.

The nice thing was the advisor is trying to sneak me into the first Software class without the calc 1 requirement. I can't do calc 1 and trig concurrently so if I can do software 1 at least I'll be kind of where I want to be in the degree program. Still about 3 years to do even though it'll be technically the beginning of my second year in the Spring.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Got another 4.0 this semester. I thought I'd bomb this Java class - my first experience with an iffy professor. Thickest Chinese accent I've ever heard, extremely knowledgeable, but his exams were a full magnitude of difficulty above what we were actually learning and using in our programming projects. He hadn't taught below grad level in years.

Oh well, thanks for the curve.

Also had Discrete Structures and holy poo poo was that class hard. I somehow got a 95% on the midterm and basically set myself up for an A right there with how he weighted the exams. Pretty sure I did that well because my reference sheet was so good.. do your prep kids.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Iain posted:

I just got a D in my Dynamics class. It sounded like the teacher wasn't prepared to teach it. I knew he was new, he replaced a really popular teacher that retired I think, but he kept whining about how at his old school this class was two semesters and he did not know how he was going to teach it to us. Then he spent the whole semester just doing problems in front of us, in his own method he never really explained well, and it was different from the way the online book taught it. The average on the final was a 50%. The online platform (Canvas) had my final grade at a C but then he decided to reweigh everything and now I have a D. :argh:

I'd contest this. Any time a last-minute weighting change occurs to the detriment of a student it's pretty much bullshit.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
My trig TA held a study session for our first midterm 7:15 pm to 9:00pm scheduled on his own time, not getting paid. He taught until 10:30pm and some people left without even thanking him. I waited til the end and found out he likes silver patron so I got him a 375ml bottle from the AFB near my parents tax free, I feel like $20 of tequila is the least I can give a dude that passionate, especially since he's the only TA that does this, and he could definitely have been somewhere else enjoying his time.

I guess most people come out of high school ready to place right into calc but all this might as well be my first time for what I actually learned in high school. Calc 1 and calc-based physics next semester plus the 2nd level software class, then calc 2 next spring. Chugging along and it feels great.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Got a 63% on my software class final. It was supposed to be cumulative to justify it being a pass-or-fail-the-class final (if you fail the final you fail the class even though it's weighted the same as the rest of the exams, even if you have a 100% in the class) but it was over only material and components covered in class when I was gone on orders shooting for the state.

Basically oof, I'll have a c+ overall and still meet the GPA requirement or be close for my major so no harm but man did that hurt.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I like when your post is due by midnight, as well as your responses.

So it’s the whole class commenting on the two people who had the foresight to do it before 11:30 PM.

Thankfully some teachers have the post due on one day, and discussion due a day or two after

My last online class had discussion posts due by noon every Tuesday and Thursday and boy did I get a late deduction on each one because who the gently caress does that? Or she'd have them both available on Tuesday and I'd accidentally respond to the wrong one and be late on both.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Well all of my face-to-face classes just got suspended til March 30th at the earliest. Everything is supposed to transition to online to continue the semester, so I'm going to be taking part of my spring break to head back to move my poo poo out since there's no reason for me to be on campus, and hopefully they'll let me break the lease early. I guess they're gearing up for some pretty spicy 'roni.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Ohio State just extended our break by a week and are kicking everyone out of university housing. Going online only for the rest of the semester.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I have a computing ethics class that has two assignments at the end that are worth well over 60% of the grade. Rather than extending deadlines out like everyone else, the professor decided to continue holding the presentation assignment on specific due dates for all of us (about 4 people to "present" every day) which was a necessity of the assignment in person. This somehow still made sense to him even though everyone was just posting them on our discussion board and they were open to reply to whenever we wanted.

So naturally I didn't see the .pdf of the new dates uploaded, and instead went off what the online calendar said for all my classes which had a presentation due-date a week after my actual presentation was due. I submitted it 5 days late, emailed the professor, received nothing back, and then did the final persuasive paper and submitted it, and still have no grades back. Sitting at an A or an E for an easy major requirement class, who knows!

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'm doing calc 2 online through a community college and just spent the entire weekend and most of the past week studying my rear end off and I just got uber-stressed and then bombed my first exam.

Integrals are the worst of the worst parts of math for me - no theory, just memorization of identities and trying to notice little things in order to use some memorized trick to solve them. Also lots of algebra.

The only reason I even got a couple problems right (I think) is from watching blackpenredpen on youtube, who is infinitely better than my instructor. I'd drop it and leave it for the future (and hopefully less stressful times) but I passed the refund date after only two class lessons and three homework assignments.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Calc 2 has been going pretty poorly for me, I ended up with a 50 on the first exam, and a 59 on the second. The teacher emailed and said if we failed the first two exams we might as well drop now because it's just going to get harder. I'm going to keep rolling with it because it's a community college separate of my main college so GPA and the money is gone either way. At least I'm still learning as much as I can and if I have to retake it I'll be better prepared. The second exam had 7 pages (each page is part of the online quiz, have to load a new page for every problem) with 1 problem each, except I got to the last page paced on time for 7 questions and there was an 8th on it with 3 parts. I didn't even get to start it, and I emailed and asked to please not do that and didn't hear back.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

The Aardvark posted:

Calc II stuff is super helpful in physical chem and inorganic chem. Not so for gen chem though.

It's a requirement of my BS or BA in computer and information science. Yet we only need a statistics and probability for engineers class??

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Almost 10% positive in the first 24 hours of off-campus testing. They separated it from the on-campus test pool to try and reduce the damage of the increase and are still trucking along. Every idiot I know that has been pretending everything is normal since moving to campus is now positive.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'll be redoing calc 2 next semester; the summer excursion into the community college online version crashed and burned when I missed the final grade by about 9% and the instructor dropped the curve because someone got a 100% overall. gently caress a 4 hour long exam with no reference material that was 80% page-long integrals. They were of the same forms that our instructor would have to use symbolab on after failing to solve them during our office hours.

This semester has been fun... anyone have any experience with a professor that hasn't graded anything? Taking (second time since the first didn't transfer) a discrete structures class and we have no midterm, just a quiz and a homework due every Friday since the semester started. I've asked the professor in class about grades and he deflects every time, and doesn't reply to emails about it. We recently got a grader (the department failed to hire them for most classes until now) who just emailed the class saying he's been emailing and messaging the professor for the past week and not gotten anything back as far as rubrics or solutions go, and here I am halfway through the semester with no feedback on whether I'm acing or failing the class and none in sight.

I mentioned it to my advisor but man it's starting to stress me out.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Anyone ever had issues with their school (or anywhere else) accepting a Service 2 DD214?

I have a young friend in the guard who did federal relief orders last year for 90 days. 1 day would get him qualified to be declared financially independent and drop his FAFSA EFC to 0. Aside from the ridiculous process of actually getting him the 214 in which I had to pull strings because nobody gave a poo poo about an E4 and told him "they're working on it" for over 5 months.. the school has now told him that the service 2 copy isn't good enough and that he needs a member 4. I told him to tell them that it is extremely unlikely that he be given a member 4 dd214 from the state by the end of the semester when he needs this done to get his EFC adjusted and get financial aid for this academic year. I would not be surprised if he never receives a member 4 at all. The vet affairs office at the school said that "they would look into it" but that he needs to "keep trying with the G1" as if it didn't take me knowing someone who gives a poo poo to get him one in the first place.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? As far as I know the two forms contain literally identical content and that a service 2 is a legal replacement for a member 4 and they legally can't reject it. However this doesn't help him now because they're being stubborn about it and he only has a little over a month to get this done or else he misses out on at minimum a full Pell grant for these two semesters and likely other grant money (to the tune of probably around $10k).

I feel really bad for the dude, he needs the money and gets no financial aid because his parents make enough (but don't actually support him financially) and he can't claim himself as independent without doing this process. Right now he's waiting for the vet affairs office to get back to him about whether they can get financial aid to be flexible (seems unlikely, they seemed grumpy for him even calling) and he reached out to the ops NCO at state G1 to ask if a member 4 is even a possibility but that dude didn't respond to him for 4 months until I got him poked by someone spicy. They're apparently 2000+ dd214s backlogged since last year as well so dealing with this one E4 isn't a priority at all.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That sounds like it sucks all around, but if my house was burning, the original of my Member 4 of my DD 214 would be the one thing I would grab, and its kind of personally reckless that I don't have that thing in a Safe Deposit Box. He should just take a gap year or some student loans.

He's a year from being done with his BS and has already loaned it up a bit. One good thing with our state is the guard scholarship program that covers our tuition entirely. He's just hurting for living expenses and really shouldn't need to be.

I thought it was ridiculous that they didn't have a 214 ready to put in his hand when he came off federal status. Then I thought it was ridiculous that he tried to do the right thing and went through his chain step by step all the way up to his company commander without them getting anything done, including his XO who I know personally and who did reach out as far as he could and was told the same thing by state that "they're working on it". Then I thought it was ridiculous that he couldn't get an email or phone call back from the G1 level, so I finally got fed up hearing about how hosed he was getting and pushed my nuclear button by reaching out to a cw4 I know through other things that used to be the G level HR section chief. He poked, and my friend had his service 2 sitting in his email in under 24 hours... 6 months of him trying everything he could think of later.

At this point I'm thinking that if the vet affairs office doesn't come back with good news about them taking the service 2 this week that he needs to get legal assistance and pursue getting them to accept the service 2 before the end of April by showing the documents to be legally equivalent. He'd be losing enough money to justify it if they don't have it processed and done by the end of April, and they've already told him as soon as the semester ends the academic year locks out for financial aid modifications.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Follow-up on my friend's DD214 situation.. I poked the CW4 again and he got every copy of my friend's 214 in pdf format 45 minutes later. All of them. Lesson is it pays to network I guess. Here's hoping he gets a nice 6-10k of grants in the next couple weeks to make life easier.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
If anyone is listening in the echo chamber I am still unable to apply for FTA (federal tuition assistance) for my classes this Fall. The school said they'd have all our information uploaded to ArmyIgnited last week and an email would go out yesterday about how to apply. Nope. Tuition was due today, blew basically all of my FAFSA/school grants on it. Hopefully they get it working and will reimburse me part of the aid package.

The cool thing is I (rarely, occasionally) listened to advice and only have Fall and Spring left before I graduate, and I saved aggressively just in case and could pay for it all out of pocket at this point if I had to. So when FAFSA threatens to cut my aid off because my total credit hour amount is too high (because JST gave me 20+ credit hours of BS military stuff that didn't apply/transfer as anything) I didn't have to panic!

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
This is my last semester. I was really excited for a fun one, I even secured housing to live in walking distance of campus despite only having one class in-person 3x a week, mostly to try and have a good fun semester around campus.

Looks like covid is planning otherwise, but that's life sometimes. We're rawdogging it and going straight to in-person, no 2 week quarantine period or anything.

The university sent out an email, their mitigation plan is rapid testing anyone in on-campus housing when they show up this weekend, and then a test per week like previous semesters... a choice quote: "Every student should have an individual plan for isolation housing if you have a positive COVID-19 test and quarantine housing if you are exposed to someone with the virus." which is one of the funniest things I've read so far this year for Ohio State, a campus of over 60,000 students.. and "Students in university housing should know that on-campus isolation and quarantine housing continues to be limited. Space is not guaranteed." which is just insane to me.

But I'm almost done and I'm still excited for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I tell every veteran I meet to apply to their dream school(s) regardless of how competitive they perceive themselves. I got into my first-choice school with a 29 ACT, a 1.8 high school GPA, and no college credits. If I had listened purely to the stats, I wouldn't have been even close to competitive - my pre major admission's averages are a 3.83 GPA high school, 30-32 ACT, and are transferring in AP credits. I wrote a nice essay about having been in the military and maturing and all that, and got in with my first application.

I'm graduating on Sunday and it's pretty exciting. In my opinion for choosing a school #1 look at the program, find out if it's modern or lagging behind in any way. Look at the university's reddit and see what people are saying about it. Then from a pool of those schools with good programs, find one that has a campus and culture that you think you'd like to spend your time at and around, or at the very least one that you can tolerate. Consider its location in relation to the industry, and what is immediately around it for internship opportunities - which are huge for some majors/programs. Most of my friends that did an internship got a job offer with their company, so it can really serve as a foot in the door into a new industry.

You'll get over the old-person syndrome pretty fast. It's nice to have some perspective in life because things will be stressful, but it's totally manageable and nothing compared to real problems in life. A school in a larger city would also help with this, giving you the opportunity to get away from campus life and be around real adults.