Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

McNally posted:

You're never going to qualify for Post 9/11 GI Bill, though. At least not 100%. Hell, you're probably not going to get 50%. You know that, right?

Earlier this year there was some announcement about how post 9/11 was going to be recalculated for guard/reserve so that even non-90 day activators can still qualify. Never could find out more about it and the site that's suppose to tell you your rating never seems to work.

MILPER message 17-059  if anyone wants to try and decipher what actually qualifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I took the GRE today with about four hours of actual prep and while I did score the minimum I needed for the program I'm trying to get into, I regret not dedicating more time. I too ran out of time on the math sections and just selected random options on about five questions.

The little studying I did was with the official ETS guide from Amazon and a good chunk of the quantitative reasoning questions on the tests looked awfully similar to questions I saw in the book. I feel pretty confident saying that if I gave myself time to completely review just that book I could have scored around 160 in each.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It may be common sense for some people, but I've never heard an answer for it: I only signed up for 3 grad credits this semester and while I think I knew that less than half-time wasn't eligible for BAH, I was curious how it would effect my remaining benefits. I got my cert letter from the VA today that only charged me a month and a half. I'm kind of balancing my last few months of Chap 33, so just an FYI for those of you further out.

For VA purposes, a month is a full time month. So if you have 5 months of eligibility remaining you can do 15 months of 3 credit hours (assuming the program is 9 for full time status)

Certifications should also be prorated now under the forever GI Bill. Before they were rounded up to a month no matter how cheap.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

brand engager posted:

Is that a new thing? When I was taking classes I thought it used a month for each month you were enrolled no matter how many credits you were taking

I've only been researching for a few years so I can't tell you if it newer or not, but I don't believe so.

Here's an article that explains it for chapter 30. I'm phone posting so it's harder to search but chapter 33 should be the same.

https://gibill.custhelp.va.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/18/kw/Partial%20month

The relevant part is at the bottom.

quote:

Rates & months of entitlement are adjusted proportionally according to your enrollment. If you are enrolled for less than full-time training, the months of entitlement will increase. For example, if you’re enrolled for ½ time training, you’ll receive 72 months of benefits instead of 36. However, your monthly payment will be ½ of that paid for full-time enrollment.

Your rate will vary based off the school and program so you should always talk to a counselor first for verification.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 28, 2019

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Hey don't worry you can sell the book back to the bookstore at the end of the year. *next year's instructor goes with a different book/different version of the same book* We will give you a penny for it.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

You shouldn't worry about a minor unless you are using those classes as your electives. It might be relevant if you are applying for graduate school? Otherwise I couldn't imagine when it would ever come up.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Reminds me of a guy I had to work with. Sometimes port security would trip and phones would stop working. Easy fix, reset port security, reboot the phone. But if you factory reset the phone while port security was tripped, it would brick the phone. I went out with this guy to try to fix a phone. I figured it was port security so I went to log into the switch to reset it. Right before I was able to get to the switch, the guy factory resets the phone for no loving reason, and what do you know, the phone loving breaks. He once went through a whole floor bricking phones. He also tried to fix printers by trying to look them up in the Cisco call manager.

We don't use port security at work but when you say bricking the phone, do you mean that he had to factory reset it again or it truly bricked the phone and had to be replaced? I don't see how port security would do that.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

100% rated?

Sign up for an MBA at WGU and plan to use all 24 months to obtain your masters. Spend 1-2 hours a week working on the tasks and collect $19k in BAH and a masters from an accredited school.

If you live in an expensive area you may be able to find somewhere local that does mostly online with one in-class sitting a week/month but you'll likely be expected to put more time in with stricter deadlines.

That's not to talk bad about the University; I really like their business model and think more colleges should go in that direction. But it is intended to be accelerated and completed in less than a year if you put and effort into it. Streching the program out to the maximum time they allow is borderline comical and you'll have to intentionally slow yourself down.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 5, 2019

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

How exactly do you receive BAH as a veteran in school? I applied for the GI Bill a year ago but I do not recall providing my banking information. Is it the last account you had on record? In that case I need to get it updated.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I used the post-9/11 bill I believe to get a bachelors, how do I check if I have any time left and if I do can I use it to get a certification for IT work I do? Been looking at, like, CCNA classes or something.

You can use it for the certification tests but not study material/classes (unless part of a school curriculum). It is a reimbursement system so you (or somebody) would pay first and submit after taking the test.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I think that's about what I had going into it. They do scale the time based on if you are going full-time or not. I originally just thought they bill you for 4 months full-time, part-time, whatever. That is certainly not the case, even though noone has been able to explain to me the math. I just know what my benefit months remaining are semester to semester. I think my credits per semester have been 9-7-6-3-3-3 and then will be finishing with 1-1.

for non full-time, it is just the number of credit hours you take divided by what is considered full time (12 for undergrad, varies by school and program for grad). So somebody in an undergrad program who only went half time (6 hours) could go for 8 years. Wouldn't recommend it as BAH requires >50% rate of pursuit and they'd only have 96 credit hours completed after eight years.

Pretty sure I read each month is considered 30 days no matter how many days are in the month. This is mostly relevant for the first and last month of the semester as they wouldn't be complete months. if you are going full time and in January class starts on the 18th, you use 12 days of benefits and your BAH payment will be prorated to 12 times your daily rate.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

What's the rate you are receiving?
If it's completely virtual you only get the national average of ~$850. You need at least one physical class to get the city rate, even if you go to a physical class just once a month.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I have no idea how much or if I have any left and if I could use GI Bill benefits for CCENT or something that'd be awesome. How do I check what's left?

Your CoE you can download from the VA site should tell you how much time you have left. You can use it for certs.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Looking toward the future when I try to run out my remaining 7 months of post-9/11 benefits, I don't know if it was a fevered dream or wishful thinking but did they change how going half-time only reduces time by half-time instead of treating everything as deducting as full-time

Yes but keep in mind to receive BAH you must be at 51% or higher of enrollment status so you should aim for at least one credit hour over half-time.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Except for me, who switched from a BS degree to BA due to three attempts (one withdraw and two fails). If I was starting my degree now I could get past it but not during my immature college drinking days.

I switched to a networking and security degree that I'm happy with at least.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Think this would be the most appropriate thread but for everyone who still has access to a .mil email (mil, gov or ctr) all Microsoft certification vouchers are free until the end of June. All you have to do is link your .mil email which just involves getting a verification code. No limit on the number of free vouchers you can get but I’m not sure if you can get multiple for the same exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

It's incredible how difficult they made it and it was never explained to us while I was in.

After serving six years (but no more than 16), you have a thirty day window after reenlisting for four more years to submit a Transfer of Education Benefits and you'll be given an Obligation End Date of four years out. For a TEB, you need a dependent (either a child or spouse) listed in DEERS capable of accepting the benefits. As long as that person has at least one month of benefits the initial TEB and OED is in effect and if you have additional dependents during that four years you can add them with no change to your obligation however once you are separated you can no longer add somebody. You can adjust the number of months a person already added has even after you separate.