Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Had an early August start for USC (South Cal) virtual MSW program so, in week 4 right now. Way more intense than my MS in IT & Management program I did. The great kicker is that I'll make less than or equal to what I made before I started this. The only thing that has me bummed is that when I applied to the program the Yellow Ribbon for social work was unlimited and then after I got accepted found out they limited it to 10k with a 10k match by VA so, get to pay a bit out of pocket (after grant from the school) for spring and have to take summer off to let the academic year reset because gently caress paying for a semester out-of-pocket.

PS - Ewww Ohio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

It has taken me over half this semester to finally get over being mad that I have to use APA (MSW-program) instead of the best system Chicago (History undergrad)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just registered for my second semester. Excited to keep going with this. Only downside is that I only get online BAH and not locational.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

iirc you only need one physical class to get 100% of the BAH? Could be worth looking into.

I found a program that had one night course a week and wasn't 100% online for this reason, heh.

Yeah, that is not possible with this program, it is all virtual. The thing I did think about was the fact that one of the 3 credit classes (of the 17 total) is for my clinical internship that is local. I wonder if that would count or if it has to be an in-person, class room environment

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pro tip: Don't wait until the day of to write and finish your final research paper. Having the only eyes on it before submission being you and 3-fingers Scotch pull you isn't the best overall idea.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I forgot that the housing payment is in arrears so, was nice to see some cash coming in at the end/start of the month

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Legitimately might have just taken a 35% on an exam. Be proactive kids!

:ohdear: Hopefully it curves well

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hopefully lesson learned.

I'm now working on my third piece of paper and I always say that

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Using your GI Bill to go to school outside of the US is the way to go.

That's what a buddy of mine did and I wish I knew a foreign language well enough to have done that years ago.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

My grades posted.

A, A, B, A, C+

I guess I graduated. :toot:

Congratulations!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just got my letter from the VA for this semester:

Jeers to Yellow Ribbon not covering all the difference for next semester

Cheers to my clinical internship counting as in residence so I get school zip code housing allowance instead of remote/online pittance amount

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

The biggest tragedy of the week is I don’t have the prerequisite class needed to take a sitcom writing course.

Send the Professor your spec script for an episode of Big Bang Theory in which a student wants to get into a sitcom writing class doesn't have the prereq and then writes a spec script and is allowed to take it

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo. A guy I used to work with is a retired master sgt with a high school degree and he's a GS-13.

Is he in intel or IT?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I needed a specific course for my degree and did it at a school that did, uh, what do you call when it’s not semesters? Terms?

Quarters?

Also I really needed spring break last week to catch up on some coursework, not have to be at my internship/placement, and get some extra sleep. Ready to start the back third of the semester

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

I’m doin it. Ima do it.

You can do it with your good puppers avatar

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The MSW program is virtual so that we do asynchronous work before class and then a once/week/class 80 minute session using modified Adobe Connect (Zoom next year) where you see everyone and talk like a normal class, just at your home. I preface this by saying that for one of my classes today, we sent 20 minutes during it to watch a TEDx talk and then discuss it. We did other reviews of material and whatnot but spending a quarter of "face-to-face" class time doing that was a bit :|

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Might also open up scholarship opportunities, if your GI Bill and YR don't cover everything

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

My capstone is due at the end of the month. I currently have nearly 8 pages out of 25. Hoping to have 10 by the end of the day.

Good luck, I'm sure it will go well. Good on you for actually starting early like a sensible person instead of procrastinating like I probably would

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

gently caress writing papers and double gently caress writing sober. What an obnoxious process

The professor for research methods class gave very detailed notes on my paper and I was just so over it because I wrote the second half in a hurried scotch fueled haze. I didn't really care that she gave me a 89 on it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

4 months of nothing since graduating, then I get two job offers in one week. :woop:

Both are contract so they have poo poo vacation/benefits, although I get healthcare from the VA anyway. One was super lowball pay and the other is like 55k a year which is fantastic for entry level work in my field. :woop: :woop:

Congratulations!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Version control on group papers is going to be the death of me

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

I think I finished my capstone paper.

Congrats!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just submitted my last assignment for the semester. Two down and two to go.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

Oh God I'm thinking about grad school

Good, everyone should be. I'm thinking of a PhD program for next August when I finish up my MSW next May

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

hey y’all I have a degree in philosophy and was thinking of law school in 2019 I mean I’m pretty smart thoughts?

Totally. Have you thought about enlisting in the Navy undesignated? You can be any rate you want

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Decided I'm going to do something useful over my summer break during my MSW program: Study for the GRE and apply at a couple of PhD programs here. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment, why do you ask?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Officially accepted. I start my MSF next week.

Congratulations!

Edit: missed this

I want to do research and the gaps for veteran mental health and LGBTQ research is massive

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 20, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I actually mostly enjoy the online discussion part of online classes, but still funny.

Reading some from my gf’s art history class. Man, some of these kids are trying to act way smarter than they are with their thesaurus, coming off condescending as hell.

I don't mind commenting on other colleagues posts but I do hate when it is required to do two posts.

Just registered for my 3rd (of 4) semesters. Going to meet one of the non-profit agency directors (who is an LCSW) at a local brewery to talk and see if I might be a good fit to change my internship. I barely got through spring semester there at a for-profit in-patient psychiatric hospital.

Edit: Not sure of a way to move Carl to the top since I used the site to upload it instead of imgur

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 18, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Every class except one stuff was due 11:59pm Pacific time regardless of where the student lives. One professor wanted stuff due before class time, her class is the only one I didn't get an A in

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Got an email from the Veterans Certification Center at my university. Turns out they are lowering both the number and amount they will cover with YR. Went from being 120 students and unlimited right before I enrolled to 120 students and $10k matching last semester and now 90 students and $8k matching this semester. I realize I will have way less student debt than my colleagues and that YR can change at any time but still feel like I was sold a bill of goods that kept changing. I guess if I knew that we weren't going to be moving and I could rewind, I would have stayed local here and had it all covered.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Got an email from one of my professors for the new term starting in two weeks. Included his retired rank in below his name. I realize he also teaches some of the Military Social Work courses but just seems like something a bit much.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

lmao a company sent me a "sorry, you're overqualified" email

Wtf I have basically never had a real job

:chiefsay: RIP

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2019/09/03/court-ruling-could-give-veterans-an-extra-year-of-gi-bill-benefits/

I think this was brought up elsewhere but does this mean that you can use 36 months Post 9/11 and then have 12 months of the MGIB afterward?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Doubtful, article says VA still has an appeal and will likely change the rules

In a 5-4 Supreme Court decision, all veterans benefits are gone and you're being recalled to service

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Personally, I don't like money. That is why I am back in grad school again to eventually make less money than I did in my post-active duty job

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Found out that I got a $7k scholarship for my coming last semester. This works out well as the Yellow Ribbon amount when I applied in spring 2018 was unlimited, it was then revised to $10k before the start of last academic year, and revised again to $8k this AY. Went from having to take out small loan to covering it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

GD_American posted:

So we just got assigned the CEO of a 2,000+ location chicken joint as an advisor for our team in the Entrepeneurship class :staredog:

Congratulations! Raising Cane's?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Registering tomorrow for my final semester of my MSW program. Crazy how quick this has gone by.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Registering tomorrow for my final semester of my MSW program. Crazy how quick this has gone by.

Queued up my classes in the Coursebin and registered the minute it opened up. Got all the classes I wanted.

Also no better feeling than closing a window with 20+ tabs for building a presentation or multiple 20+ tab windows for a paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I was sitting here working on one of my three finals papers due this week and remembered, "hey, when was that thank you letter for the scholarship due?" Turned out it was due on the 2nd so quickly wrote up a thank you for getting 7k. I felt really fortunate that I got selected for it as it was specifically for MSW veteran students which this program has quite a number of. I know this as the Yellow Ribbon for USC went from unlimited when I applied to 10k last AY to 8k this AY. I realize YR isn't a guarantee but I was still pissed about last year. The only real financial upside of the program is that since I've been on internship locally here I get MHA for the zip code of the campus so pulling down LA monies.

My 12-15pg not well defined on the syllabus theory paper is my first one due which I am procrastinating like hell doing. Whereas my other two papers are application of theories for vignettes/scenarios which is easier imo

Thanks for reading my rambling almost 1am stuff; hope y'all are doing well going into the sprint toward the finish post-Turkey Day!