Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm searching rental properties in the area I'll probably find work and I've noticed a lot of the new construction ones have really jacked up prices because they include amenities like community rooms and poo poo like that. I don't want to live in the same building as a bunch of loving idiots who decided they never want to give up the college dorm experience, and I certainly don't want to pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

No one cared who I was until I put on the yarn wig[/Bane]

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

The couches are comfy, there are snacks, and it's usually empty
Ours is in a pretty small set of rooms that probably used to be faculty offices. I went in there once because the school makes you check in with their student leader or whatever if you're a veteran student. They were all nice enough but it was a cramped room, and really loud. I figured I'd never get anything done if I spent time in there so I never went back. Supposedly the one at main U is really nice but us getting screwed on funding isn't anything new.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There are some private schools near the Twin Cities that cost ~$50k a year. There was some article in the Star Tribune last year where the deans of these schools were whining about how their enrollments were down because of "sticker shock".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TBeats posted:

I did a couple community college semesters in 2006 and it was like $600 per semester. It's like $2200 now at that same school.
The latter was about what I paid, maybe a little more. Real college has been ~$15k-$16k a year, which doesn't really affect me since tuition gets reimbursed by the state.

One lovely thing they do though is if grad students take undergrad classes they get charged the grad school amount. Summer of 15 I took 4 classes (Was miserable, oops), and had this grad student in one of them. He got charged $7k for one class, I got charged $5k for 4. Mind you my price was due to tuition banding which means you don't get charged for any credits past full time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

School has now tweeted a couple of alerts about women being attacked and forcibly fondled tonight by what sounds like the same guy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

I didn't know you went to school in DC
Knowing the local College Republicans I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was out celebrating by trying to emulate their idol.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My first class, my first semester here: There's no book in here, I'll just assign articles you can obtain from library databases. Also, I don't really want to be here at 8am either so if everyone works really hard we'll only meet once a week.

High expectations that will never be matched ever again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The only time I got that was for a German class. The teacher dropped it halfway through the semester. Shame too because it was really easy point. Repeat the exercise until you get full points, she has no idea how many times you did it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One of the best things about my undergrad was this professor who would disappear into central Asia on summer breaks and pop back up with bonkers stories, souvenirs, and the occasional new Turkish wife.
Sounds awesome except for the last part.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

The Firearms Club that I'm a newly minted exec fall guy of is under investigation by the school, the clubs and societies part of the student union, and the RCMP.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

not caring here posted:

I thought that was just SOP for college republicans
Yeah. Exactly how bad do you have to gently caress up to have the College Republicans come down on you?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So there's this book on linear algebra that has really good ratings. But I would probably judge someone harshly for owning it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've got an interview on Wednesday and I think a big part of that is I told them I was good at Excel, and I am. Any ideas on stuff I should learn or brush up on before then, past pivot tables or array formulas?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Depends on the job and knowledge focus. Engineering, finance, general statistics?
I'd be supporting a large marketing department. They wanted someone who had a good handle on ArcGIS, stats, and Excel.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had my job interview on Wednesday which I felt went well but I was worried that somebody with a marketing degree and GIS cert might take me out of the running. So I was preparing myself for the eventual rejection letter.

Then they called me today and offered me the job. They offered me a Thursday slot too so I'm thinking whoever went for that one didn't do as well. So that's a major weight off my shoulders.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We had a power outage on campus last year. A bunch of lazy elevator riders got stuck inside them for a couple of hours and the fire department had to get them out. There's only 4 floors in most buildings so unless you've got a mobility issue it's just peak laziness.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I have a meeting next week to discuss student veteran issues with an MP. I know most of you are American, and you already get better educational benefits but are there any general improvements to getting vets through school I might bring up?
Tell you want to bring your battle buddy blow-up doll to class with you for moral support.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zeris posted:

Anyone who stays involved with their greek organization 5 or more years after graduating should be embarrassed for themselves. It's the bro rape equivalent of telling basic training stories in a VFW.
One of my underlings is up to 8 years after graduation with his. He got really mad when my states reason for not joining a frat was that I'm not into binge drinking and rape.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Graduating in a few hours and realizing I left my tie 2.5 hours away... That was fun.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My grandma apparently said something kind of racist during a Native American drum song during commencement.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don't keep us in suspense
They did their thing and I guess she loudly said something like "That's what they call music huh!?" A bunch of people heard her.

The commencement speaker we got wasn't all that great so I mentioned that in the last couple of years Al Franken had done it and her stupid church friends don't like him so she doesn't like him. Blah blah blah.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We have around 12,000 and they split ours up. A couple of the colleges in the morning, the other three including mine in the afternoon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I never hung around the vet center. The library was quieter and had a lot more room. I guess most of the people in there were pretty alright but I wasn't going to college to hang out.

There were a few AFROTC kids who liked to talk authoritatively about stuff they know nothing about. But arguing with them wouldn't do any good so why bother.

There was a coastie in a couple of my classes who was pretty cool.

Then there was the marine from my German class who was supposed to be in our group for the final project. He showed up on the day the project got assigned, and was never seen again. Didn't respond to emails, teacher didn't know where he was, nothing. Wore a marine hat everyday and had a bunch of tattoos, a least a few of them were service related.

Edit: When I did community college there was some guy who decided to read out loud his forum response for a different class to some girl who had written something kind of anti-military. Beyond the cringe factor of him detailing how much he had owned this girl, a math class was far from the ideal setting for this.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 26, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Yeah that's what I was calling bullshit about. I knew about the day to day prorate, but he was talking like 8 credits would only burn a certain percentage of a benefit month.

And this is why you never trust a ginger.
8 credits is short of 3/4 time so you would only fet 1/2 time pay, and you'd burn however many months you went to school.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I thought they changed that policy towards a pro-rated utilization for half time students? That's what my veterans affairs office told me
It still worked that way a couple years ago. I specifically decided not to use any GI Bill this last semester because I was going half time and figured it would be better to save it for grad school, whenever that may be.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well in stupid student news, I quit my job today and have a month and a half until Law school starts up. Gonna hit a lengthy camping trip on my way out west and maybe ask for my gf to marry me. I figure listless and unemployed is as good a way to kick things off as any
Knock her up to seal the deal.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I double majored. One was a social science, the other was the more lucrative GIS degree which is what I'm doing now. I'm pretty happy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I totally wore the military rope thing they gabe me for graduation on the hopes people would think I was a a better student or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A lot of the business major types I work with can't even manage to do the simplest poo poo in Excel, or look it up if they don't know the answer. Just saying.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My first class at my 4 year was taught by my advisor. She told us she didn't reallu lile showing up at 8am either, so if we worked really hard we'd only have to show up once a week. I never saw it that nice ever again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

not caring here posted:

Hey, I just got a letter from school and it says that I should join something called Phi Theta Kappa. I go to the website and it sounds like a bunch of huffing your own farts, is there a plus to joining poo poo like this?
I doubt it. A couple different honor society things spammed my school email a few different times. I ignored them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Also I got one professor to agree to me bringing Monty to class.

:getin:
Dis is my therapy dog. He's snuggly and soft, and I taught him to bite anyone who shows up to class wearing an infidel cap.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My company is apparently budgeting to make me a real employee next year, but chances are it might happen sooner than that because the other guy I work with wants out bad. Boss is going to be pissed when I tell him I'm being deployed for 6 months next year.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We skipped out of a company mandated firedrill and no one screamed, poo poo their pants, or put it on our permanent record. Yet another advantage over the military.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zeris got a degree from Columbia, but noe he needs one from America.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

My lab partner is wearing some marine infantry school hoodie. I’m trying to hide my forearm moto tattoo but it’s really hot and I think I’m gonna have to take off my jacket.
He's going to want to touch dicks now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

When I graduate I will still have some GI Bill left that I may not care to use. Can I forfeit the remaining and get my $1200 back? Or should I go gently caress around at a community college?
They're not going to let you do associate level stuff if you have a bachelors and it doesn't fit into some sort of continuing education.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I went in the vet lounge once because the school wanted me to register with them. It wasn't horrible but I never felt the need to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I should learn R at some point. Right now I get away just fine cleaning poo poo up in Excel, ArcGIS, and then back into Excel to do pivot tables and charts. I'm not planning on sticking with this job for more than a couple years after I get back from this deployment so I need to keep learning stuff that I don't do at work.