Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

MancXVI posted:

Just finished my last presentation, graduating on Monday with a BS in Computer Engineering. Literally just wrapped up a ten year plan to unfuck my life and I think it worked.
Nice dude, I begin phase 2 of same plan in June. Starting my BS in CS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

anyone else taking summer classes? I get my gi bill money starting next month, very excited about being paid to go to school.
Yup first transfer semester starts next week.

Programming 110 (Python) and The Worlds of Buddhism (bullshit humanities requirement)

The payoff so far looks to be worth all the BS endured on active duty

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Care to elaborate on these vouchers? Im about to start my first semester on the gi bill

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

timma85 posted:

So I applied for financial aid through my school. The awards letter came through and I have a huge grant that is significantly larger then the Pell Grant. The Pell grant is around 5k for the year. My school is giving me 12k for the year as some sort of Undergrad grant. That feels like to much money and I'm wondering if I should talk to the financial aid office to make sure I'm actually entitled to the money.

E: this is on top of my Voc Rehab benefits too.
You should check with financial aid.

It sounded too good to be true when I first saw the grants offered to me, but I asked FA about it and the school actually did pay them out directly to me after they had received full tuition payment from the VA.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Is there somewhere I can see a history of GI-bill related payments the VA has sent to me and a description of what they were for?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

That's where I thought it should be, but can you provide me an idiot's guide to finding the info?

When I go to "login > Payment History > Display All", it tells me no payment information is available to display.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Thanks for this, I've never really used Spotify but I'm currently paying $8.50 a month for just Hulu so I guess I'm about to check it out!

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Separated from active last March and been doing school and reserves since. I never saw anyone at the VA afterwards though, and I feel like I should have gotten evaluated for disability at some point. What steps should I take for this?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

bz, buddy

I passed Calc II, I'm pretty stoked about it. I actually really think I can earn my bachelor's degree for the first time. It's crazy to think about how I got here.
I took it 15 years ago in community college but my university is only giving me transfer credit for I, so I'm retaking II this fall. You got any tips what to review to prep myself?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Lets Get Patchy posted:

It helps that IT vets with security clearances are a shoe in for ridiculous amounts of money working for defense contractors.
Speaking of which.. I have a secret clearance and should graduate from my CS program right around the time my reserves contract is up (5 active, 3 reserves, 8 total). My understanding is the clearance lasts 10 years and so would expire after I am (expected to be) out of the Navy. Is there anything I can/should do to get it renewed before separating to retain a clearance for future employment prospects?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

rifles posted:

I'm in Discrete Structures and their Algorithms right now and stuff is starting to make sense and I'm not just going cross-eyed looking at the homework, so woo to that. All the advice given in here to go to the office hours is absolutely true, I'm having to struggle around my hours working on campus to make time but every time I go I'm that much better off.

In other news, my OSU application crap has kinda stalled. The grant they gave me is to fill in a gap in tuition coverage, when I apply my NG scholarship it'll disappear off my financial award, which is sad. So now I'm in the process of getting documentation to have my efc adjusted to hopefully get another $1500 of Pell for this semester at this school, and a full $3000 Pell a semester there at OSU starting in the spring. That'll have me at like $2500 out of pocket for the semester to live there and eat, and then I cross my fingers that I get some scholarships that I applied for earlier this year to cover for the remainder years. If not, maybe a ROTC scholarship or something dumb like that?? idk.

Does anyone have experience using the subsidized loans (Stafford)? I'm thinking of taking the $3500 offered there in the Spring and tossing it in a market savings account to accrue interest and give me a little financial buffer in case I need it for an emergency or something. Also I guess if I don't touch it and pay it off it'd be good for my credit too? I just got a deposit card finally because I've been procrastinating on building any credit for 6 years :rip: but taking the loan seems like a no-brainer as long as I don't spend it on something dumb.
Also in discrete structures this semester, by far my most boring/hated class.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 18, 2018

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The book stipend is also weird
It's something like $41.66 per credit, payable at the start of the semester up to $1000 per year

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Soulex posted:

The same reason some people get scared to fart around others in the bathroom.
I once got a disbelieving "really, dude?" from a stranger after farting in a men's room. If not here, where? People are weird.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone have experience regarding the VA paying for classes you've taken before?

The next math required by my degree plan is Math 129 (calc 2). I received transfer credit for the prior class in the series, 125 (calc 1), but when I enrolled in 129 I immediately could tell I was in way over my head and had to drop it day 1. My calc 1 credit is from like 2002 and I've since forgotten everything I ever knew about math. I took the university's placement test which put me in 120R (precalc) so in order to get up to speed I need to retake 120R and 125, and I'm kind of expecting those to have to come out of pocket. Which also shafts me for BAH because apparently only classes that the VA is paying for count toward your BAH full-time enrollment status?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

So the housing allowance calculator at VA.gov shows a bah rate for my school that is about $120 higher than I have been receiving since I started attending in summer 2017. Does this press release today regarding "uncapped rates" mean I can expect a fat backpay check, or what's going on exactly?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Next time I'm due for bills or whatever I'm just gonna say "sorry bro computer's borked, I no longer owe you". Good enough for government work, good enough for me.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Tax question:

I received some grants and scholarships from school, including the Pell grant.

$32,444 was the total amount of financial aid, according to Box 5 on my 1098-T. Is the answer to this question really as simple as looking in my school account ledger and tallying up the total amount of money the VA sent my school throughout CY2018?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

brand engager posted:

yeah I didnt even have to file taxes for the few years I was living off gi bill BAH by itself. When I filed last year it was because I had pulled all the money out of my TSP.
:aaa: to put in an IRA and convert to Roth, I hope..

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Just make sure you pay attention in math classes more than anything (besides the classes for your major) because they all build on each other. I kind of wish professors would take a minute to explain why they are teaching something (besides it being in the curriculum). I can't tell you how many times I've heard "remember back in algebra" or "remember back in trig" where some concept that seemed pointless before is now some vital part of a process in calculus.

I've seen too many people who get a C in precal or calculus and think they are good to go.
Real talk. I took calc1 twice back in community college in the very early 2000s, first got a 2.8, then a 4.0. Followed it up with another 2.8 in calc2.

Skip to 15 years later, I tried to jump back in at calc2 at university last semester and the review material the prof put on the board on day one made me nope the gently caress out. After taking the math department's placement exam I'm now humbled to find myself back in pre-calc, which I at least mostly remember. This is turning out to be a whole lot more math than I expected just to get a minor.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

It's more of a voluntary thing. I have transfer credit that satisfies all the math requirements of my major, but statistics minor requires through vector calculus and as I discovered, there's no way I can continue at the level of math I was at before the 15-year hiatus.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Boys I am livid.

There is a kid in my math class who I'm 90% certain has Asperger's, but 100% sure he's on the spectrum somewhere. Constantly interrupting during lectures, making random remarks out loud, finishing the instructor's sentences, totally incapable of recognizing figures of speech and sarcasm, and just generally a complete social maladroit. I've watched the rest of the students' reactions to him quickly progress from tolerant, if not patronizing, to snappy and irritated in the 3 weeks since the course started. It came to a head today when he was talking loudly, in a very small classroom, to both himself and the professor during our first exam. Despite the prof explaining multiple times that this was an exam and refusing to answer his questions, he persevered. Between this guy and the professor loudly chattering 6 feet away from me, my concentration was totally thrown off for a solid 20% of the testing time. While I expect I did okay, this absolutely impacted my performance on the exam. The prof, especially during lectures, generally just seems to ignore it rather than shutting the kid down.

I plan to explain to the prof during his next available office hours that this guy's behavior is now starting to interfere with the success of my education. I'm trying to handle it tactfully, but if he's unwilling to put his foot down what's my next course of action? Lodge a complaint with the department? I've never had to deal with a real live sperg in this capacity before

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

lightpole posted:

Tell him to shut the gently caress up.
I was a hair away from doing just that today, but that's exactly the type of subtlety that's lost on this guy.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah tell other students that suck to shut the gently caress up!
Idk man I feel like there's a pretty legitimate distinction between "sucking" and "actively interfering in the education of those around you"

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Pending BAH deposit is looking a little light at $111. Like, 90% of my BAH is missing, light.
Is there some new VA issue this month I don't know about?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Due to previously unforeseen additional course requirements, I've learned that getting my minor would require a full additional year of part-time school in the best possible case scenario. This assumes all the courses would be available in the semesters I want them, their scheduled times work with my limited schedule, and I don't fail or retake anything.

I'd really rather just graduate a year sooner with my very employable B.S., drop the minor, and get back into the workforce. If I drop it, am I gonna get any grief from the VA or them expecting repayments if they've paid for courses already that were only required by the minor?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Vasudus posted:

VA won't care and minors are garbage that nobody gives a poo poo about past your first job interview and even then.

I had three minors. I took it off my resume.
Kind of what I was thinking regarding actual real-world relevance of having a minor. I'm certainly not sad about no longer having to take 2 more years of math. Now I'm just searching for bullshit 300 level courses with the least chance of requiring long papers in order to satisfy my last 10 upper-division units.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

If the minor subject is actually interesting and relevant to your field consider taking classes after you graduate and getting a certificate.
It's Statistics & Data Science, so relevant to my CS major but not particularly interesting to me. I specifically asked an advisor if I could graduate with the B.S. and then later on take the courses to achieve the minor, and he said no, it has to be done concurrently.

I originally picked up the minor because I thought it was only going to require like 4 additional courses beyond my major. Then I discovered that no, I cannot just jump right back in to calc2 after 15 years of forgetting everything I once knew about math. I'm currently retaking precalc.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Nope, it doesn't go away. A two year clock starts once you ETS before it falls under Inactive, Valid. Then it expires for real in 2021 unless you get someone to renew it.
Does this two year clock start when I transfer to active reserves through C-WAY, or not until I'm out the Navy entirely?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

It’s the National Society of Leadership and Success (Sigma Alpha Pi). Sounds like some made up poo poo to me.

I got the same invite, they wanted 85 bux. Tossed it in the trash after I did some googling.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Meanwhile I'm over here taking a bullshit 1-unit animal sciences course trying to slide in to 12 units for full-time financial aid consideration. I'm trying to milk this GI bill, not kill myself.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y’all floating around 12 units/credit hours a semester or what? I always see people go for 15 or even 18+ and I’m like, uh, there’s a reason not many do that. Then they’re miserable and often get bad grades. Doesn’t seem so lucrative in the end.

For some core pre-requisites they wouldn’t even let you stack them in one semester at some junior colleges because the track record shows that people do that just fail both, if not more.

if you’re not working with little responsibility then ya sky is the limit I guess
Yup, exactly 12 if possible.. I took 13 last semester due to the way the units summed up, with 3 CS courses at a time and an elective, and it was pure misery. I can't imagine piling more on top of that.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Come Spring semester I have only 6 units left in my degree plan before graduation :toot:, however this also puts me at exactly 50% pursuit rate (12 units is full-time). My understanding is you have to be over 50% for housing allowance, not at/over.

Am I just poo poo out of luck for any housing allowance money that semester or is there some way I can finagle another unit or something?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I think if you're near the end of your degree, you can take classes not in your degree plan in order to get to full time.
Thanks! You were right, more Googling led to the school certifying official handbook, which details this scenario in the "Rounding Out" section. In your last term only, you can take whatever bullshit classes you want to get up to full-time. Time for some online low-level math.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

37 by the time I finish my undergrad next year, you're in good shape.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

What're you studying?
Computer science cause I'm a great big nerd

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

I did it. I burned my post 9/11 GI Bill and got a bachelor's from a brick and mortar school without paying anything. I'm starting grad school next term online but the TPD discharge is paying that off apparently. They say I can even take a PhD with it if I want. What a crazy rear end benefit. They were quick to point out that our children get free school too. It's like a happy twilight zone.
GI Bill life still seems too good to be true 2 years in. After all the bullshit endured on active to get here, I keep expecting the hammer to drop at some point.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

What better way to round out my final semester in the CS program than by taking "Basic Computer Skills for MS Office Applications" (along with Operating Systems)

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Nah this is intentional, I only have 6 units left required to graduate, so I'm taking another 6 units of BS to get up to full-time enrollment. I wanted credits that would require minimal effort so I can focus more on OS, reputed to be the most difficult course in the major.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Hi guys I'm a student vet now. Better than AD A+
Nothing beats getting paid to feel like Billy Madison and peep yoga butts, welcome to the club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I can help with the survey and could honestly probably benefit from some mental health help right now. Would also love a hand with my resume if you're able