Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

First semester as a student vet started this week. Hooray for being a 31-year old Junior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

TPUSA is bringing Dana Loesch to talk about “Saving the 2nd” on campus barffffff

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Prosecuting wealthy people would be fun.

living the dream

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The VA’s sent out a bunch of emails to me about how the rules changed in 18 or whatever but they’re only now getting around to actually adjusting the rates and might charge back any “accidental” overpayment that occurred between the rule change and now unless you file a request for a reprieve and ask really nicely.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I had that happen when my DLI credits finally processed. Went from being a sophomore to being a senior taking sophomore level classes overnight.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

my university didn't have a PE requirement at all, but the gym was loving insane

lots of classes yoga martial arts etc, indoor track, outdoor swimming pool that isn't even open during the school year, two swimming pools (one with a diving well), an ice rink, legit rock climbing gym, absolutely the most beautiful weightroom I ever saw - two long rows of fully modular power racks and nothing but bumper plates

I kinda wish I lived closer to campus because my school’s gym is basically this exact same thing and I wish I had more time to take advantage of it. They’ve got some overnight camping/backpacking classes coming up this spring I kinda want to do.

That reminds me, there’s a Wilderness First Responder course coming up this spring between the spring and summer sessions, does anybody have experience with using voc rehab or gi bill funds for something like that?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I thought I was done with math forever after college algebra but then I decided to make my anthropology slightly more useful by adding an international affairs double major and now I have to take macro and micro econ.

I’ve scammed myself once again.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

All about that Google Docs so I can rough out a couple paragraphs on the busride to campus

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

My school announced all classes will be remote as of Monday so countdown to the VA cutting my benefits for being enrolled in distance learning

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Welp just realized I missed the window for an online exam because of all of the turmoil last week. Hopefully they'll let me take it this week at a penalty or something. Gonna suck if I have to take a zero on that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

January/February were pretty tight because I didn't take a winter class to bridge the gap

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

One of my classmates told me he got all of his BAH payments for the Fall 19 semester in one lump sum in January because the VA messed up processing his change from terminal leave the first week of class to veteran on GI Bill the rest of it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I got a mailer packet and they gave me a book stipend and paid my tuition, that the same or is this contingent on email specific?

You're probably fine in that case, since those payments are all processed separately for whatever reason.

Definitely double check though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Anybody else just wracked by constant anxiety over the transition to online only or is it just me

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I've got another year or two on my BA and then wooo throw myself into the grad school grinder

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

My finals week for some reason began on Friday and included finals on Saturday so I'm already halfway through my week on Sunday because life is hell and nothing makes sense anymore

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Hot dang I get to go straight from finals week to Maymester.

Here comes an entire physical anthropology course in 3 hours toot toot

Are there any other DLI grads here that get immediate anxiety flashbacks any time an instructor says phrases like "drinking from a fire hose"?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I'm also enrolled in a 4000 level evolutionary phys anthro class later this summer. I was hoping to take the phys anthro elective about dogs instead but it wasn't an option. Maybe this fall. Trying to save as much elective space for cultural anthro classes as possible though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You could always switch to a social sciences major like me and then put off the real good dread to what the hell to do AFTER getting that BA

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Welp we're almost done with week 2 of class and not only has there been massive frat parties every weekend with nothing done about it (expel them IMO or at least suspend their enrollment until after COVID, if they're gonna try to infect and possibly kill each other/campus staff/other students/instructors/the families of the previous groups), but shockingly enough sewage testing has found there are unknown COVID cases in at least 4 of the dorm buildings.

No changes though, gotta keep going.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

We got an email Monday night that we’re going remote for 2 weeks on Wednesday so that instructors have enough time to prepare for the transition.

I’m sure the virus will wait.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’ve been doing research and putting lists together because I need to apply to grad schools this fall and I’m legit terrified by the entire thing at the moment. The big two worry points are paying for it, and the fact that pretty much every school I want to apply to only accepts 2 people a year for the Cultural Anthropology program. I really don’t like those odds.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’m seeing a pretty even split of programs that are just Master’s track and programs that prioritize going straight for a PhD. I’m eventually going to end up needing a doctorate anyways for what I’d like to do, so I’m prioritizing those programs, but I won’t be upset if I just go for a Masters first.

Though half the time I’m considering just getting a job that only needs an undergrad degree for a few years because I’m getting pretty sick of school at this point.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I got lucky with my separation checklist because I had to get one completely filled out when I went to Wounded Warrior Battalion for a hip surgery about 6 months before I got out. I didn’t actually have to give that checklist to anybody, so I held on to it and just turned in my SCIF badge and bounced without having to track anybody down when the time came.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Guy I was friends with in the Marines did some college but didn’t finish, enlisted at 25, finished his bachelors distance learning, then when he got out did law school and AFROTC and now he’s an AF Reserve JAG or something.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

U of Chicago is where Richard Spencer did his masters, so it seems like maybe there’s some issues in that institution

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’ve been lucky in that pretty much all of my professors other than my English/writing requirement classes didn’t care too much about citations and formats as long as you actually cited and made an effort to have a consistent format.

This is a big improvement over how things were in my classes I took before I got too poor to continue and enlisted, so maybe try again.

Definitely check the rate my professor pages for any class you consider though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I use Google docs and zotero for all of my paper needs, and they’re great. Way better than paying for Office

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’ve seen a lot of people complaining (edit: mostly in my campus vets Facebook group) about not getting the BAH on Friday but like, disability hasnt paid either so I’m expecting it’ll be Monday like usual

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I really wish there was something I could do to help McNally other than yell at my congresscritters to push through reforms, but somehow I just don’t see Hickenlooper doing much good.

Got my disability on Monday but just now got my books and BAH today. Even when something hasn’t gone wrong the VA still manages to mess things up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

McNally posted:

My understanding is that books and BAH come from Treasury and they pay within 10 days of the 1st.

I typically get the BAH on the same day but as a different transaction from my disability, so this was a few days later than I expected. I’m not especially surprised because the first payment of a semester usually shows up later than the rest, but it’s alarming when it happens.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Looks like online class BAH exemption is going back to pre-Covid policy 1 June, which sucks because all of the classes I need to take in June are online only. Waiting to hear back from the student vet office about if the June term actually starting on 31 May means that the online classes get me full BAH through June, or if I’ll get full BAH for 31 May and then get online BAH from 1 June-on.

Would be cool if the VA’s FAQ page about this change answered any of that.

Edit: got a response from the school and apparently the change applies to how the school is classifying the entire campus, so I’m just not going to be able to afford to take classes for a good chunk of the summer. Really cool of them to decide that the school is in-person without actually offering in-person classes

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 25, 2022

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’ll just add that Covid has changed a lot of things about college, some better some worse. For example you might have to take your tests on your computer in a perfectly silent room and while your webcam watches to see if you take your eyes off your screen or start crying (this gets flagged as cheating as has to be reviewed).

You might also find that your professors are very laid back with deadlines and are willing to give you a lot of flexibility with stuff or even waive smaller assignments.

Definitely talk to your professors, either after class real quick or during their office hours. Emailing with them is also great.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Didn’t get one at the end of April or May. System seems to be working very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Got my text after the money