Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I got my grades back and they took a little dip from the Spring. Kissed my 4.0 goodbye. Somehow I pulled all my Bs from midterm up to As but let all my As drop to A-minuses. I'm taking Linear Algebra this upcoming semester and dreading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I wouldn't dream of using a cell phone in class. Even in my bottom-basic community college classes it was taken as a sign of disrespect to the teacher, and almost every class syllabus I've gotten has explicitly warned against it. That doesn't stop a couple people from texting away, obviously, but but most don't. I'd take it as a lesson learned and not antagonize whoever's giving you your grades.

e: participation/"professionalism" grades in lecture courses are horseshit anyway but man don't break out your cell phone in class. It's begging for some put-upon professor in a point-making mood to gently caress you over.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 29, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i have other classes I wouldn't dream of doing it, I get the disrespect but if you're wasting my time with dumb SNL videos during class or youtube videos of ppt because you can't be bothered to be teach then I'll put about as much effort in respect to you as a teacher as you are to me as a paying student

Jesus. And you have to take another class with this clown?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Casimir Radon posted:

So there's this book on linear algebra that has really good ratings. But I would probably judge someone harshly for owning it.

Linear Algebra is pretty easy compared to its typical prereqs, so that if you're at the level where you're taking it you probably don't need a coloring book to explain it to you.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

Going to a small school owns. Like 14 people in my accounting cohort. We all watch out for each other to make sure we succeed.

A small cohort just means fewer people to sabotage on your way to the top.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

Take this lit course for your last writing credit they said

It'll be fun they said.

Read Absalom, Absalom! they said.

It's a great book they said.

gently caress you William Faulkner.

They were all right and you don't know how lucky you are to be able to dedicate a bunch of time to reading and figuring out a fantastic book

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

I'm sure 99% of the people in college have cheated on something, including the people who post in this thread. So suddenly taking the holier than thou stance that it's against the rules so you should tell on him seems hypocritical and stupid.

(A) Nowhere near 99% of people cheat in college, Jesus Christ. It's not that hard to just do the drat writing yourself. And (2) even if you take the "everybody's doing it" ethical stance, the guy did put his unwitting lab partner in danger of punishment for plagiarism.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

And it is your concern what happens to him, because going forward you're forever going to be the guy who ratted on someone.

And people in college are just as backstabbing and vindictive as people in the military.

It's not hard to, at the very least, attempt to throw the guy a bone.

lol

There is practically nothing another college student can do to "backstab" you. College is nothing like the military except that it is also full of 18-21 year old shitheads whose parents didn't beat them enough.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

You're right.

gently caress you got mine. Ruin the guy. It'll be worth it.

It won't ruin him. A plagiarized lab report might get him booted from the class at worst, but a first offense won't get him expelled. Probably nothing will happen administratively b/c the professor won't want to do all that paperwork. On the other hand, it might get him to loving do his own work from now on and avoid worse in the future.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

You're right.

gently caress you got mine. Ruin the guy's grade in the class. It'll be worth it because there are no other alternatives other than to do all the work yourself anyway after you tell on the guy.

Basically, yes?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zeris posted:

This reminds me of shooting cars full of civilians that are too stupid to know better than to speed into a checkpoint while ignoring EOF.

lol

I'm trying to figure out which way this analogy swings. Was shooting cars full of civilians that trivial, or is ratting out a scumbag plagiarist that serious

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Talked to our outgoing no-fucks-given dean today regarding commencement etiquette, and he went "wear everything you can in a huge dumb heap, just make sure my honors society is on top" , and since I might get reimbursed for all commencement-related apparel, I'm thinking about going full retard and buying every single dumb item of honors bling that I'm eligible for, so I can walk around jingling like a rainbow-leper in two months.

the only honors society I'm in outside of the main school "honors program" just buys us a little colored rope or something, like the infantry.

e: but good on you for getting yours. Group projects are horrible and I'm glad your professor knows what's up.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
and the biggest, shiniest handgun you can get

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Getting laid?

Oh, that's what I forgot six years ago. drat, I knew it was something.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

It took me until the MP5 to get it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

milk milk lemonade posted:

Every lawyer I know is a joyless sack of garbage who's too loving stupid to do the math on their own salary. Yes, great, you make 90k a year, you also work 80 hours a week. I'm sure it will be awesome for you when you finally get to 140k working twice the hours a regular person would and spent your years badgering paralegals FOR THAT FILE while your wife banged some guy working 20 hours a week and you're too busy reading boring legal bullshit all night to realize that kid you never see isn't even yours.

I mean holy poo poo I thought I was exaggerating about 90k but the average is actually 81k and it tops out around 150k

that's why you become corporate counsel for Exxon or something with stock options and bonuses, that's my career plan after I graduate with a 3.6 GPA and an English Lit BA from a regional college

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

If it was so blatant and out in the open why didn't the professor do something?

(Probably because you care more than the professor does)

On the other hand, you care so much about defending cheating college students you don't know in a situation for which you have no context that you're diving into the middle of a page-long argument over it

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I would love a culture shift to academic cheating being stigmatized on a level similar to, say, drunk driving. I know it doesn't threaten anybody's life, but it's goddamn annoying, and maybe if fewer people could cheat their way through school then a college degree wouldn't be looked on a requirement for non-specialized jobs that any dipshit who knows his times tables can excel at, (e:) and those same dipshits wouldn't be fueling the skyrocketing sticker price of school.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 23, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

Henry cheated on his economics exam and it killed two people so I think you're on to something.

Hey, it's just me. I'm not advocating government policy here, I myself just wish cheaters would be institutionalized along with people who play music over their phone speakers on public transportation, people who watch anime, and congressmen. If I get an opportunity to gently caress over someone cheating on a test, I'll take it. e: Not my job to police anybody but if they're cheating so that even my oblivious rear end notices it then they're too dumb to be there anyway.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 23, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

I bet tattling on more people will get them to come to your side.

Or you can ask them why they feel the need to cheat and maybe help them get educated instead of knee jerk throwing them under the bus. Kids definitely need mentors and seeing how we are all usually older than your average college kid and, for the most part, have our poo poo halfway together we are in a pretty good position to be that person. You would be surprised what a little bit of kindness rather than vindictiveness can get you, as well as what it can give those around you, as well as the world as a whole.

But hey it's easier to tattle so keep with that I guess. But I will make fun of you every time for it. Tattling is more juvenile than cheating in my opinion.

lol

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Hmmm so you think cheating should be punished? Sounds like you have a little growing up to do Mister Meanie Face.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

cowboy elvis posted:

You talk to women like they're the people that they are. Some will gravitate towards you without much effort, and others require a little digging to click. Some might be friends and others will be cool with hooking update/ dating.

I will say that if you're the dude who solely talks to all the good looking girls in class, that'll be to your detriment. Just make friends with your classmates.

ty for helping me with my Game

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ripoff of Baby Driver

e: I mean this started as a dumb joke but Edgar Wright did direct this and clearly just lifted the scene intact for the start of Baby Driver

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Haven't seen Baby Driver

You should, it's good. The scene based on this music video is memorable.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
There is one (otherwise great) professor in my department who assigns a creative group project with a presentation for the midterm grade of every class he teaches. He lets you rope in people from outside the class provided it's clear you did most of the work. It didn't occur to me until this semester that I could just do the whole thing myself and invent a co-author. It worked.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
this isn't a stereotype but a proven fact based on a comprehensive sampling of the two students sitting adjacent to me in Statics: engineering students are smelly dorks

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Let me know how the GrE is. I’m on the way to doing it, just have to finish planning my senior year.

It's loving easy except for the writing. I write well but nowhere near fast enough to meet the standards for a 5 or 6 point essay (out of 6).

e: "Don't overthink the verbal reasoning questions" is my only real tip aside from what's already been said. You need to be careful, but your first instinct is probably right if you read at a high level already.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 29, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm a month from graduation and only starting feeling the burn about two weeks ago. Really bad timing with a thesis due.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Tomorrow I'll be done with all the work I'll ever do in college. Feels weird.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
wrong thread

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 20, 2018

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If you threaten to sue, most colleges' standing policy is for employees to cut off communication immediately and refer you to a lawyer. So I wouldn't mention it unless you're actually about to sue, in which case just do it and don't warn the fuckers.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I almost died on the Calc III hill, but after that I had no problems with DiffEq, Linear, or Discrete... right up until, of all things, Probability, huge sections of which I could not loving wrap my head around. I had assumed it would be a breeze, a nice easy way to wind down my time in school.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Viva Miriya posted:

Apparently I need to get up to Calculus and knock out some basic micro/macro for grad school. Time to step up this Khan Academy poo poo. Anyone goons wanna share some wisdom about their own "learning to math" experiences?

After math stopped being this thing that I was just good enough at to figure out in my head (pretty much Calculus onward), literally the only factor that ever mattered to my success was the sheer quantity of practice problems I did. There was no shortcut. Good college-level math teachers will suggest practice problems out of whatever textbook you're using. Do those, and then do as many more as you can stand. And do some before the class that teaches how to do them.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A Bad Poster posted:

I've talked to the school, and they don't seem to have any issues with anything. They know they're getting paid. It is an international school, however, which means I need a study and work visa before I can do anything, and one of the documents required by their government for the study visa is a statement of financial responsibility, which the VA hasn't gotten to me yet.

When I went to the VA office they just had me sign a paper saying that I'd be using my post 9/11.

Which country? Often you can start classes and register as a student with immigration within a certain period after getting to the country.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A Bad Poster posted:

Canada. The foreign student liaison at the college said something about how since I'm from the US all I would need is my acceptance letter and valid passport, but didn't know for sure. Everything on the Canadian government's website says to go through the normal channels which takes months.

I went through a very similar experience recently, driving myself crazy because this foreign government's immigration website said I needed to have paid tuition before traveling, but the school hadn't given me a bill yet... and all I can tell you is listen to the student liaison. You're going to Canada, not Iran. You're an American, goddamnit. No one's going to stop you at the border. Do everything you can before you leave, but I guarantee you're not the first person to have had this problem. They might even accept evidence that (1) you're eligible for GI Bill money and (2) you've applied for it, together with recent correspondence you've had with the VA, as proof that the money's on the way. The Canadian government is not first and foremost concerned with whether you'll pay tuition (that's the school's problem), but whether you'll be homeless—so bring bank statements and something showing where you plan to stay.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 25, 2018

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Casimir Radon posted:

Almost as fun as the dreams I had when I still was in school about a 5th class I hadn't been attending.

shuddered a little reading this

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

mods changed my name posted:

"For your answer to number 4, it is hard to know if men and women were equal as we did not live in the same time as them we can only speculate and try to form an opinion based off of that information. How would each author know exactly how the tribes and early Europeans lived if they did not live it themselves? In your statement about Mills, Americans have definitely become more lazy and entitled, but that doesn't mean that one class is better than another."

Egad.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
edit: "having a good day at school" was the upshot of this embarrassing post

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 11, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Grad school owns. Go to a good one that will pay your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Should I accept an honors society invitation?

I assume you're asking b/c they charge money to join. The calculus is pretty simple and has come up elsewhere in this very thread:

If Phi Beta Kappa, yes.

If not, almost certainly no.

I'm not being elitist or nuthin, I'm not in PBK, it's just that the point of those societies is (1) name recognition and (2) networking opportunities, and no honors society besides PBK has either. e: even PBK barely has (2).

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 29, 2019