Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

Is it though?

didnt you need a bunch of help to sort your poo poo out post-mil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
mmm time to apply to law school. Did lovely on the LSAT, looks like no ivys for me.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: if you go to law school

Between remaining 33 and 31 bennies I'm pretty comfortable with my decision.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean I went to a pretty decent law school and the number of people I know with better grades than me still do not have jobs and if you didn't do well enough on the LSAT to get into a top school, you're likely to be unemployed when you're done. All of your peers are going to be drunk basically the entire time. Every social function will involve everyone getting as drunk as possible. Most of your peers for the rest of your life will have major substance abuse problems, is horribly depressed, and absolutely hates life. Unless you're in biglaw working 100 hour weeks you're not going to get close to sniffing 100k a year for 5+ years after graduation.

I'm not trying to dissuade you if you have an actual job plan lined out and this is just a wicket towards that goal. I don't know what your specific endgame is, but the legal employment world is absolute poo poo and is full of sociopaths, narcissists, and generally assholish people at a higher percentage than any other profession. If you haven't read the lawyer thread in BFC, I highly recommend that you do. Especially read Toona the Cat's posts if you want to see a recent vetgoon's law school escapades.

If you happen to have any substance abuse issues in your background, law school and the practice of law is a very bad idea.

If you do not have a general job plan, you are significantly better served by getting a different graduate degree in almost any other field and you'll have better longterm earnings and quality of life. If I had got a masters in economics or finance or something instead of my JD I would actually be looking forward to finding work instead of just selling tacos at college bars.

I'm fine to get into the best school in my state, and a couple decent ones on the west coast. I'm not gonna be getting into a t-14 but that's OK. I'm from New Orleans so substance abuse is in my DNA. Guess I'll see you on the other side, though not in florida because that state suxxxxx

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

New Orleans in your DNA you say? That must be where the garbage post history comes from.

Pouring through the ol' post history eh? What is it that you're so salty about? You from florida?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seriously, though, go read this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&userid=56659

That's the tale of another vet-goon & law school even more recent than my own.

Nothing in there that's too alarming. My bachelors is in history, which was actually selected to make the most of my existing credits to expedite getting to law school. My brother is a public defender in the Bronx and we've discussed alot of the various ins-and-outs of what practicing law can entail.

I'd rather start over with an engineering degree than get a masters in history. I find the subject interesting but hardly applicable in a money making sense. Law school is actually the culmination of my post-enlistment plan to the 'T' so its time to loving get hot.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Good luck, godspeed, and I hope it works out for you.

Note that this is not an endorsement of your decision, but rather acquiescence. Your mind will not be changed and I do hope it works out for you, but the odds for you to be a happy and successful lawyer are not in your favor based on your specific circumstances. I hope you prove my skepticism wrong.

The odds of any of that happening are 0. My current employability hovers at just about 0, so getting a JD with uncle Sam chipping in for the lion's share seems worthwhile. I have no illusions about getting out and making six figgies, and frankly if I wanted to go for beacoup bucks I'd try to go into business for myself. I've set the table for myself over the past few years, and now its time to sit down and eat my (potentially poo poo) sandwich. Not getting a 175 is a setback, but I don't see it as being that much of a game changer. Time will tell.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

I would also never go through your posting history dude. It's history. It's you. I ain't gonna gently caress that up for you. Ok? Ok? You're the best loving bro ever! Lets get loving wasted! Lets get loving wasted!

Baxter!? You cut to the heart of me. I'm not even mad, frankly im impressed.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Reverand maynard posted:

I need the classes but thats the only credits I need this semester. I think I'm going to pay for this semester myself

They pro-rate time with regards to full student status. So if 12 Cr is full time then you will be charged for 1/2 the length of your semester and receive 50% of your bah iirc

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

For fucks sake someone please find out if this is true because I thought benefits get used at the same rate even if it's 1CR or 500CR

They did it for me during my last semester when I had to take an extra, single course. Since it was online I got 50% online BAH and, according to the guys in the vet affairs office, I was only charged 15 days of bennies for a 30 day course.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

Im sure that having a good internship is super important to my future and stuff, but not smoking weed loving sucks. I'm on day two of no weed after smoking daily for two years. Couldn't sleep last night, no appetite today, and my body aches. Whoever said you couldn't get addicted to weed may have been wrong.

Go for a run

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

My roommate suggested doing 20 push-ups everytime I had the urge to pack a bowl. That's that kind of hokey boot camp bullshit that I love.

As for the sleep, it's mostly the dreams that bother me. Weed made me not dream.

In other news, I got an email from my school about my semester bill posting and holy poo poo am I glad vocrehab is a thing. gently caress paying $14k for a semester of public school

is that before the Pell grant and stuff? At CU I would have been paying close to 12k a semester, but with my pell grant, their matching grant, and a few scholarships I signed up for I realized I could've gone to school for free without the GI bill, granted I would've had to pay my expenses out of pocket. I miss starting each year with a cool 8k to blow :sad:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

Yeah that's before any sort of grant or scholarship, and is also out of state (the school for my home state is 3 hours away and also awful)

uhh I dunno about voc rehab but I'm pretty sure that for the GI bill they're supposed to bill you as an in-state student.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hey I just enrolled a dude with an "airtight" diploma from some online university. He can't find a job and a month or two away from losing his house! :toot:

Have you discussed flipping that house with him? Sounds like a future come-up for Mr. And Mr. N4I

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Where are you getting this near million dollar education from?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

psydude posted:

Most for profit schools cost about that much, so don't pat yourself on the back too hard.

Tulane was about 45k a year, and that was ridiculous. Unless you're living on campus and that number includes a filled bookstore account and meal plan I'm curious where charges that much.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
most expensive schools in the country top out at ~65k a year so uh... I dunno

http://www.infoplease.com/us/education/most-expensive-schools.html

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i'm the creepy psycho poo poo but if you're going to knock me for anything put it in the grading matrix because the syllabus for professionalism made no mention for cell phone usage.

If that's the case bring it up in an email. Then depending on their response talk to them directly.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Booblord Zagats posted:

Law school seems to be the same way from what I've seen

I'm looking forward to having lengthy conversations with Federalist Society wannabes about the merits of recent American history because getting people blustery makes my dick hard.

Hope I don't get owned too often

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Send your partner an email, tell him to fix this poo poo or he's fried, then go from there. Let the professor know informally about the situation to cover your bases, though maybe downplay the egregiousness of the plagiarism.

The truth is in the middle

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Naked Bear posted:

I should have mentioned this earlier because it's super-duper relevant: every report that we turn in is required to have a signed statement at the end saying, in effect, "the work contained herein is my own." I signed that statement and turned in the previous report believing that was true, but I am now finding out that was not the case through no fault of my own. That's why I'm pissed, that's why I'm not going to try and sweep it under the rug.

Dude if you end up in front of the honor committee just loving roast him. You'll be fine. You're literally describing the unlikely scenario that justifies the existence of those types of institutions.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Hey duders,

I'm putting together a pass-down document from my class to the next class of vets in my program and I was wondering if anyone here had any inputs from their own experiences. I'm in a grad business program, but some experiences transcend schools/programs. I'd also be more than willing to supply a completed document to anyone that wants it (assuming I get enough to make it worthwhile).

Any thoughts?

Are you going to charge them to access it, or was business school a complete waste of time?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

This is the first weekend since some time in January where I don't have a pile of homework. I stayed about an hour later every day this week to get ahead on homework.

I have no idea what to do with myself. I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something :ohdear:

Getting laid?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

This is totally reasonable advice. Here's the reality though. The one vet rep is a student who can't be bothered to even tell me what paperwork I need to request benefits, let alone provide any real assistance. This sucks because the community college has several dedicated veteran services employees that are very well versed in what they do. The university has degree works so I can clearly see what I need but my advisor (an army patriot missle operator vet, no less) glibly informed me that it's very inaccurate for my degree. I've been trying to schedule a time to sit down with him to go over this for several weeks with no success. Expecting either of these dudes to actually be like "this is what you should do/take" would be like asking a chimp to do calculus. It might be worth pointing out here that this is the bottom of the barrel 4 year school in Oregon. Why am I going here? Because if I took my degree anywhere else it would be considered a terminal associates and I would basically be starting over on the undergrad which isn't something I'm interested in doing. This school and it's magical AB degree seemed too good to be true and I'm starting to suspect that the whole thing is just a bullshit contrivance degree.

As for the summer thing, yea. Frustrating but not entirely unexpected. It's just annoying because the community college I've been going to offers a metric fuckton of courses summer term. It might also be worth noting that I tried to start this term (spring) but ended up just filling my schedule at the community college with transfer classes because again, the university didn't really offer much this term.

I appreciate the advice, I do. Unfortunately I have pretty much exhausted these realistic options and am now just venting on the internet to you fine folks about it.

gently caress.

gently caress.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Ahem... Sorry, I got started typing that and that happened. I'm sure most of you understand the feeling.

Well fortunately you have up to a year from your date of enrollment to start your benefits and get backpay. Do you still have any electives required or is it all core classes? If they dont offer what you need it might be time to withdraw before the complete refund date, get in contact with your VA office, and get all of this lined up before the fall starts.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Growing up in New Orleans the culture of the city was pretty tolerant of drunk driving, or atleast driving after having a few drinks. You pretty much always assumed that everyone around you on the road was a danger.

My DUI is something I'm pretty ashamed of.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Nice work, time to poo poo on everyone that didn't get a BS

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Naked Bear posted:

The two minute warning has already been given and today one of my profs (for the class I'm getting whupped hardest in) dumped a big ol' steaming take home exam on us, due Thursday. Our final is next week. :wtc: Thursday, coincidentally, is also the new drop dead date for everything else we have (i.e. long-rear end reports).

Q: Ask me how long I've been awake for.

A: I don't know! :toot:

Unannounced? Ask for an extension citing your other courses. Otherwise ride the snake like Jason Statham in crank!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Mmmm, law school acceptance​ letters. Time to ignore the good advice of my peers and forge ahead, just like enlisting.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like the job that I'm trying to get is going to pay me 40k at most if I get it, and it's not likely that I do.

Well considering those amounts are more than I am currently earning and I'll get paid to attend school in the interim I'll take it!

And I will never take advise, legal or otherwise, from goons.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TheQuietWilds posted:

The difference is if your life sucks badly enough, enlisting isn't a terrible option. Law school (outside of top tier) is mostly a scam at this point.

Eh, it's a tier 1 law school, I know quite a few lawyers already, and its a profession that I want to enter. That Voc Rehab is willing to pick up the bill (31K a year) means I should be in pretty good shape once I get out.The majority of the advice I received was that I shouldn't go into deep debt in pursuit of a law degree, which I won't be.

Most of my friends that graduated from law school in the last 5 years all secured pretty decent jobs, granted that was in Louisiana. None of them are starved for work. Things can vary from state to state pretty dramatically with regards to opportunity in the legal field, and I'm currently taking a look at some different federal employment options on the back end. My brother is also a lawyer in NYC and he certainly seems to be enjoying it.

Seems to me that a law degree is what you make of it, much more so than most other professional degrees.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

Vocrehab is covering law school?

gently caress man, go for it and go for it hard. Fail the bar? gently caress it, not like you have loans to repay

Yeah, the stated goal for voc rehab isn't to be a lawyer, it is to get a law degree preferred or required position, so that includes being a mediator and a bunch of other stupid poo poo.

They won't pay for me to take the bar, but 50K a year for 3 years is a nice parting gift from the Federal government for my service.

Edit: Mr.Nice is just trying to scare off potential competition.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 5, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Christ that's dark

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

milk milk lemonade posted:

Every lawyer I know is a joyless sack of garbage who's too loving stupid to do the math on their own salary. Yes, great, you make 90k a year, you also work 80 hours a week. I'm sure it will be awesome for you when you finally get to 140k working twice the hours a regular person would and spent your years badgering paralegals FOR THAT FILE while your wife banged some guy working 20 hours a week and you're too busy reading boring legal bullshit all night to realize that kid you never see isn't even yours.

I mean holy poo poo I thought I was exaggerating about 90k but the average is actually 81k and it tops out around 150k

Jesus I can't wait. I'm gonna become a public defender and be like the Lincoln lawyer!!!!!!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MancXVI posted:

How does the stated goal stuff work with voc rehab? I want to use it to get an MS in Computer Science but I'll also be working full-time as a software engineer at the same time. Will they have any hangups about that?

Yeah they will. Voc rehab is about getting you employable. They won't Shell out if you're already working afaik

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MancXVI posted:

I'd imagine it's pushing the limits of welfare at that point. I'll pay out of pocket if they don't cover it, just curious if that was even a thing.

I dunno what, if any, means of recourse they have against you if you don't mention that you're gonna be working. It's def something to discuss all the possible variables for with your counselor so you can get a.compmetr idea of what you CAN do

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Casimir Radon posted:

My grandma apparently said something kind of racist during a Native American drum song during commencement.

Don't keep us in suspense

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Holy poo poo, y'all don't gently caress around with your commencement ceremonies

:stare:

Never been to one, what was so :stare: about it?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I guess I just didn't expect the scale of it, despite knowing the size of the college.

And it's not even a big school with just under 30k student.

Almost once a year you'll get a speech by major celebrity, some titan of industry, or a serious political leader. Before I transferred I managed to see the Dali Lama give a commencement to Tulane University.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I know for actual no-poo poo med school it's pretty much Biology BS (or something along those lines) or bust, but I'm wondering if PA programs actually give that much of a poo poo beyond "biology/science degree preferred". I figure it's a lot more of a non-issue given how the PA profession in general is a lot more of an oddity than the straight shot MD or even ADN/BSN/NP kind of paths, but I figure it can't hurt to ask just in case someone has any specific insights.

Even though it kinda feels like a cop-out despite that being a retarded line of thought, technically Exercise Science falls under the Kinesiology department of the Health Professions College anyway. All I'd have to do then is become an ortho-bro to really sink that stereotype.

It varies from program to program, often in terms of required courseload (organic chemistry and the like)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Yep, just weighing current credits plus pre-reqs still missing against different undergrad degrees to find the shortest non-poo poo path there. It doesn't really hurt that I'm already intimately familiar with most of the Exercise Science coursework via extracurricular hobbies, for what it's worth. I shouldn't need much more for prereqs as it is, A&P2 plus biochem and/or o-chem, maybe genetics, and medical terminology which is probably gonna be hilariously dumb.

That sounds like alot of pre-reqs to me but I'm going to law school so that's all I have to say about that.