Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
go to school you fucks

then probably go to grad school because haha get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Low level sociology classes are loving horrible but should be really easy at least.

Conflict theory, structural functionalism, gesellschaft & gemeinschaft, etc. You won't get into anything remotely interesting with what to actually DO with those theories until the upper level/grad classes anyway.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

I'm doing Khan Academy because I have to learn linear algebra before the 23rd and it makes me question the concept of institutionalized higher education. The courses are so easy to follow and they make the material so easy to understand.

Self motivation is a rare thing, that's why.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't read it. Wiki the main events.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Grad programs always charge the going rate if you take an undergrad course. It's part of your graduate degree plan, then it gets charged that rate.

Ideally you don't have grad students in undergrad classes though. That usually means you don't have the foundation you should have, or that your degree program has that much slack.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Depending on your circumstances you might also be able to get your schools Adaptive Technology (or whatever they call it) office to scan your textbooks. My school required you to be on Voc Rehab and/or have a letter from the Disability Resource Center with a relevant disability, which was a really really broad requirement. You would tell them your classes, they would go get the books, break the spines, scan the whole thing w/ OCR, then email you the scans.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Office hours are your friend. Talk to your professors if they work in your chosen industry, even if you don't have specific questions.

I made friends with all my professors (well, most of them) and I managed to secure two research assistantships from a department that didn't have money for more than one at a time. I used this experience to get another gig externally, which I then ultimately used to get my current big kid job.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In undergrad I had a billion books that I never bought after my first semester, because sometimes we wouldn't even get to the material at all.

In grad it was 'yo all this poo poo is on the internet except for [insert book] which you really need so get it'

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

lightpole posted:

Should I be happy I got a research assistant job or just shoot myself?

Both.

Being a research assistant is ultimately how I ended up where I am now. But holy poo poo can it be a motherfucker depending on what research you have to do.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Don't stay in school to get a master's/phd you dorks, get a job that will pay you to get a master's/phd for free.

The way I see it, the later you enter the workforce the less lifetime earning you make, that could be the difference of having an airplane or sailboat when you retire.

Jobs that pay for a masters+ aren't exactly common though.

Like many things it depends on your industry.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

That's true, I know in engineering at least every organization I have worked with encourages you to pursue higher education on their dime.

In consulting you usually get either a chunk of change via tuition assistance (~5k/yr) or if the stars align there's a special deal for a specific school and specific degree you can get for cheap-ish. Like 50k from a really good private school cheap-ish, as opposed to the going rate of almost double.

Though at least for the most part the job market has improved to the point where you don't absolutely have to get a masters to get a decent white collar job. It most assuredly helps, but it's not like it was 5 years ago.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think my 36-credit master's degree in a state university in CT ran me 30k after veteran's discounts (not benefits, but a state discount) which isn't too horrible.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I had a physics class (woo Physics for the Liberal Arts) over a particularly cold and snowy winter that I would walk outside in the cold rather than walk through the computer science wing to get to my class. One of my classmates would go outside with me because she felt everyone's eyes in the entire department would zero in on her.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Call your congressional rep. They have a person dedicated to veteran's stuff more often than not.

My rep in CT was Rosa DeLauro, a super mega liberal hipster congresswoman. Her chief of staff handled veteran's claims. When you were on his side he was amazing. When you were on the other end of the equation he was a colossal loving dick.

The guy literally walked into my office one day, introduced himself, and sat in the waiting area until the issue was resolved several hours later (it wasn't the school it was the VA that hosed up) asking me about every 15 minutes what the deal was. He then was happy as a clam and walked out after I gave him the information he needed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I wouldn't bother. Just go and be That Guy and get your rep involved. Nobody, and I mean nobody, EVER wants a congressperson involved. Find out who your specific rep is and email their office. Congresspeople extra love it because they're helping ARE TROOPS.

Mention right out the gate that you're a constituent, a registered voter, and a disabled combat veteran. They'll come running.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm talking about schools my man, that's not much of a castle to storm.

Your poo poo is borderline sysifusian at this point.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In all likelihood you'll get an incomplete and the chair of the department will provide instructions on what to do to get credit. Assuming it goes completely pear shaped.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Also you generally have to pay to be published. Just today I got the yearly round-up of publishing costs for our usual periodicals, and it's $1000-$4000 per article for some fairly specific journals. No idea what getting published in something really prestigious like Nature costs.

The waiting list on things like Nature or Cell are measured in like, years. Unless you flat out reinvent the wheel, of course. Then some poor chob gets bumped.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
remember to look away when someone attempts a chaos dunk or else it'll be like indiana jones opening the ark

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
lmao why are you going again

are you changing fields or getting an mba

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
oh rip

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's whatever your certifying official at school puts in the system. 99% of the time you plug in [start date of classes] to [end date of classes] and leave it be.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
School admin people from the lowliest peon to deans are not used to being stood up against.

Magic word for deans/senior administration: You're clearly not understanding my problem, perhaps Congressmen [name]'s office should be whom I'm talking to next.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Maintaining close to the same schedule is also a good idea. Set two timers - one about 15-30 minutes before bed and another at bedtime. That'll get you into the habit of closing out your day and getting ready for bed.

I go to bed at 9:45pm. My phone lets me know it's time to wrap up at 9:30. I'm in bed at 9:40-9:45, asleep by 9:55-10pm. On weekdays I'm up at 4:45am. On weekends I stretch that to NLT 10:30pm and get up by 7. The hours are irrelevant, the point is to maintain that schedule.

I try and minimize deviations as much as I can. If work requires more attention, I still try my best to either get it done before or pick it up the next morning. Ever since I made my schedule like this I sleep way better.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
One of my favorite registrar/admin tricks is to tell them "Do you mind if I sit here and wait for confirmation? It's really important" and/or ask to wait on the line. It puts them in a very awkward position if they were planning on blowing you off.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you have an opportunity to attend an Ivy, do so. A lot more doors will be open with an Ivy on your resume.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Let's put it this way: If I had the opportunity to, I would have gone to Columbia (or any Ivy) completely out of pocket.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Do a community college for two years, preferably out of pocket using state vet goodies, then transfer to a real school and use the GI bill. But that assumes that you have actual ambition, if he just wants to open a gym then gently caress it run that GI Bill down.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Anything but my intro class professors didn't care.

And my intro class professors cared because the school needed to maintain a certain passing% for them otherwise the state would wonder what the gently caress is going on. So if a bunch of stupid teenagers spent their time looking at their phones and failed the intro classes it would be bad.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm sure that they'll be reasonable and leave out the topic of pot. I mean, unless the club is literally named "Veterans for Mandatory Weed 4/20 EVERY DAY gently caress THE POLICE" I don't think it'll be an issue.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You report them for not doing their job.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
For grad applications GPA is only a small component. Your letter of intent, or possibly interview (if your program does those) have much higher weight. That's not to say you can get into a R1 STEM program with a 2.1, but there's a little wiggle room.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I should probably elaborate a little: in undergraduate, the school is doing you a favor by letting you get a degree there. In a graduate setting, even in a terminal masters program that you're paying for yourself, it's not nearly as one sided. There's far, far less graduate degrees out there and they're much more focused. Graduate degrees either make a career possible, or in theory greatly enhance your existing career. The department (or even a specific professor in some cases) is looking for specific universal qualifications. They want someone that's smart enough to understand the material to a capable level, someone that isn't going to drive away other talent, and someone that they can expect a reasonable rate of return on. So that when you're out and about in industry you help build a reputation for your school/program and attract more talent; either talent that gives them money in the form of endowments or otherwise.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Assuming standard undergrad course of 3 semester hours over 13 weeks (13 + midterms + finals for total of 15) on a M/W/F class, they would meet 39 times for regular classes. That's a ~24% attendance rate.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're going to learn a statistical software, I would suggest doing a little homework as to what your chosen industry uses. Mine uses SPSS and SAS, but I trained in school to use Stata with like a week of SPSS and no SAS. Fortunately work was nice enough to let me show that I know how to use Stata and then I was able to OJT the others.

Then I stopped using any of them because it's for nerds.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If your chosen career field requires a masters to be comfortable, get one now. A bunch of people in my cohort are taking night classes because they need masters to get promoted. Don't look at entry level, think 2-3 steps down the line.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's largely the main reason TO get a masters. If you wanted to be a subject matter expert you would go for a PhD program.

The government loves to throw arbitrary education requirements on to positions, both civilian and especially contracts. It doesn't matter how effective a MS, they want one so they get someone with one.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The whole point of going to an Ivy is the name and the networking. You're not there for the quality of the education; while there's plenty of A+++ professors of course there's not a special way to teach calculus that the filthy poors have to use instead.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's the joys of being a non traditional student. Shits easy, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're going to SCSU, ask Jack. He can put out an email blast to the vet list if you can't find a normal roommate.