Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
What are people bringing with them to class for a masters? Pen and paper or a laptop? What's the go to calculator to get these days? I haven't been to real class in over 10 years and need to figure out how to become a student again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I really have no idea what to expect as I haven't been able to physically show up and check out the programs or get hold of anyone in the program to go over it but half of it will be an MBA and the other half will be engineering management so maybe light calculus at most for math and a bunch of word processing? I wish I knew how much calculus I'm going to need as the only math I've done outside of simple algebra was studying for the GRE. I also haven't written a real paper in awhile so I'm probably screwed there as well. I think I would struggle in high school, I'm really not sure why I'm doing this.

Was really just hoping I could show up in September and everything would magically work out.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 9, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Hah, that's what I figured. I can make that work, just have to remember to write legibly this time around so I can read my notes. Is grad school like business casual or just straight casual? I haven't had the option of choosing my outfit in class anytime this millenia.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

the undergrad outfit of PJ's or garbage clothing was frowned upon.

On the one hand I am semi disappointed I never had this option. On the other, I just wore the same uniform every day of the week and only washed it when I felt like I REALLY needed to look good.

Cool, it's California and the Engineering program shouldn't have a problem with jeans and the MBA won't be too fancy either.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

TBeats posted:

If you're doing anything in finance a $20-30 financial calculator is all you will probably need unless you just want the bells and whistles of a scientific calculator.

I think the Engineering masters has quite a few classes I wanted that might require a bit more. I really wish I had a better idea of what I am getting in to but there's very little info about the program online and the fact that it's two masters means it's a little more undesirable.

The adjustment towards academia is going to be rough. I really can't wait for this to start and to never set foot on a ship again.

I have a 3 piece being made right now and he is going to follow up with a more casual two piece. There's a bit of a lead time on clothes as slacks/shirts need to be tailored but it sounds like I don't need to go for much more so I will be set.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I get free mental health with tuition right?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Reverand maynard posted:

show up in a ball gown

It would cost too much to get it fit otherwise I would.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

This is along the lines of my problem right now, 6' at a lean 240+ makes buying regular clothes an enormous pain in the rear end if I want anything that isn't a shmedium or a circus tent. Suit shopping turns that up to the nth degree where I can get the shoulders to fit but the arms are hosed, plus the amount of material a tailor is going to have to remove to get a tapered fit is ridiculous. I figure once I stabilize at maybe 250ish I'll just go for bespoke and be done with it.

Even a high end store like Brooks Brothers or John Varvatos with a tailor on staff has a hard time with that since suits are designed for skinny twinks or fatties. Bespoke is the way to go, even if it costs money. I found bespoke prices to be actually reasonable, especially whrn compared to a high end store, plus you get to choose everything. The fit and look will be much better in the shoulders, traps, chest and waist. Moving up or down sizes to fit one will throw off the other so much and the tailors can only do so much to accomodate.

Spending money sucks but if you are going to buy something for a serious occasion it's better to make sure it fits well and you don't look like poo poo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Food costs would kill you. Eating is a full time job at that point. I went up to 5' 10 215 playing rugby and getting bigger ceased to be fun.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I'm a type 1 diabetic so I cheated. I was the biggest white boy on the team and still smaller than the islanders.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I still wonder if I'm stunting myself by not pursuing a masters. I mean I'm already 30 and don't feel like taking out loans for a piece of paper.

I'm starting a dual masters program in mid September at 35. Kinda figured it would take me three years and I wouldn't be done till 38. It really just means I'm going to interrupt my sitting around and drinking with classes so what's the big deal?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

nwiniwn posted:

MBA/MSA here at 35 years old. Definitely one of the oldest people here but not too many foreign students. Luckily everyone is extremely nice so far.

I'm supposed to take a profile pic for the program and haven't had a haircut or shaved for the last 5 months due to being at sea so I'm going to have the old man hobo look going for me.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

TheQuietWilds posted:

If you're doing an MBA that's not a strong start. Go find a barber, Jesus.

I'm on a train back to the west coast and have to move all my poo poo out of a storage container first since my roommate gave up our place while I was gone.

It's not my fault they let me in, they're just going to have to deal with it!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
If you don't trim the mouth hairs, grooming is required if you don't want to spend every meal eating your beard. The neck is required when starting out but once your beard is long enough you can just stick to cleaning it up on special occasions. Outside of that you should let everyone enjoy the evidence of your virility and manliness and power.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

BigDave posted:

I'm taking a class called Stress Management which fulfills a health requirement, and the professor is Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. Select topics this semester include shamans, Tai Chi, crystal healing and weed therapy.

I really wish this was somewhere in my curriculum at some point.

If people want me going to extra curriculars they need to pay me.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Finally actually showed up on campus for orientation and am absolutely shocked. Grad school looks like it will be fun instead of the penal (penile) punishment undergrad was.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Undergrad was under 20% female and noone has told me I will need to wake up at 0300 to stay awake for 4 hours and do nothing at all right before a midterm/final yet so large improvement. That and the facilities are unreal now, no wonder tuition is going up. Also, shorts and skirts are a lot shorter than I remember.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I'm going to school to get laid, get free mental health and then make bank and not work when I graduate.

Edit: Also to point to my mental superiority with my extra degree in arguments. Making the other person mad is winning in my world.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 15, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Maybe I'm just old but it feels like shorts are a lot shorter now because I see rear end hanging out everywhere. I did just spend the summer on a ship with dudes so I can't tell. I'm all for it since they are all in a different bracket from women I am going to talk to so ogling is fair game (they get desperate at 30 and are a bit less insane).

VVVVV Sometimes I'm dyslexic and better off for it.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 15, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I am jealous but my dogs would be a huge distraction and the class would be a waste. I study at school so I don't spend my time tempted to pay attention to them. It's awful.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Undergrad had some expensive books I wish I still had that weren't required. The Masters program is all about pissing off the bookstore and just having us get what we need as cheaply as possible.

It really depends on how good the teacher is.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Most of my readings are online. Only have to carry my statistics book around.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Pretty easy to destroy your hearing and listen to the dulcet singing of tinnitus for the rest of your life.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It's like a gentle lullaby singing me to sleep.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

redneck nazgul posted:

I want to start applying to schools, but I had one disasterous year of college before I joined and I feel like that's a hideous mark on my application(s), since I won't be eligible for transfer statuses anywhere.

I had a sub 2.0 senior year. I have 10 years in industry and achievement to back it up and also wrote a really good statement. You can always take a couple classes at community college and get good grades for a semester to show that's in the past. Otherwise write it in your statement, acknowledge it, accept responsibility, why it's not an issue now/how you've moved forward and that's it. Keep it brief.

The statement was hard but it's a good chance at introspection and really clarified a lot for me. I started linking everyone I knew who could pretend at education to it on Google Drive for help, which is scary to me seeing how personal it is.

Also, 660 on the GMAT what the gently caress, isn't that retarded level? I thought most schools wanted 700+ which should be totally achievable if my dumb rear end is any indication. If you put in time and study and practice taking the test in a realistic format you should be fine, it's not that hard.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It's not bad but I don't know the rankings behind it. I thought the important thing for a doctorate was funding? Denver itself is pretty cool and the mountains are right there. I almost went to Mines but it felt a little too close to my undergrad and I would have had to pay out of state tuition.

If pretesting was above 700 it usually means you need to actually practice under test conditions. I didn't do as well in the quantitative because of that but it was good enough. Just as long as you get in.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 26, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Denver gets over 300 days of sun a year. It snows every now and then but doesn't stick around for much past a week usually. The mountains keep most of it so when you really want it you can just run up. Think the I 70 resorts are only 90 min or so from downtown but that depends on traffic. Tons of beer, cost of living has been jumping up so it could be expensive but it's not quite at California levels.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I just checked, there's some open space out towards Craig

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
You guys are gross by association.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I need to figure out a path through engineering including an advisor and a project/thesis. They pretty much just gave us the course book and said you can take whatever you want as long as it makes sense.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
School health insurance is part of my tuition but it does not qualify for Obamacare. They want us to carry our own while attending as well.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

How does your school get away with providing health insurance that doesn't cover essential benefits? That seems completely useless to students?

I haven't checked it since I still have union insurance. They can take care of all the small stuff but not anything big from what I remember at orientation.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Should I be happy I got a research assistant job or just shoot myself?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It wasn't hard to get, I did tell them I was only tangentially familiar with the area several times. It's on full printed circuits, probably wearables for the DoD or something. I think I have a bunch of catching up to do.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You keep it going man
You keep those books rolling
You pick up all those books that you're gonna read and not remember
And you roll, man
You get that associate's degree, okay?
Then you get your bachelor's
Then you get your masters
Then you get your masters' masters
Then you get your doctorate
You go man!
And then when everyone says quit
You show them those degrees, man
When everyone says "Hey, you're not working, you're not making any money"
You say "You look at my degrees, and you look at my life
Yeah, I'm 52! So what?
Hate all you want, but I'm smart, I'm so smart
And I'm in school
All these guys out here making money all these ways
And I'm spending mine to be smart!
You know why?
Cause when I die buddy
You know what's gonna keep me warm?
That's right, those degrees."

This is wrong. The longer you stay in college the longer you get to wait to pay off those loans, not to speak of the free mental health and rear end floating around.

To answer the question, I am in a dual degree program so I am going to spend the next 6 quarters taking 16 units/qtr or so, two years as long as I stay on top of things. The degrees are pretty complementary, an MBA and MS in Eng. Management and I'm getting in state tuition so it should cost under 40k as I am staying with family. Both of the degrees are also terminal programs so I'm not expected to continue on towards a PhD. Make sure they are complementary without too much overlap. You can't do it all at one school? There are plenty of program combinations around, I know here they also offer a bunch of related certificates so I will probably get a certificate in business analytics along the MBA path.

Since I want to experience a bit of research while I'm here I signed up for a graduate research assistant assignment for the next six months. We are evaluating the state of printed electronic circuits for wearables/medical devices at present and in the next 3, 5, 10 years or so. I will be assisting with the sensors portion as I have a decent amount of experience with sensors from my work in industry. These jobs might be harder to get at universities with large doctoral programs.

Also a 2-4 year commitment for 1-2 masters is easily doable. A PhD generally takes a minimum 4 years unless you are very together and have a strong plan. Take a look in the grad student thread on the nightmares they go through for it.

Quite obviously, my two degrees and being published will be enough to establish my pedigree while KN just languishes in the gutter feeling sorry for himself with a single scrap of paper to keep him warm at night.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 10, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It really depends on the masters. If you are doing a thesis and don't plan it out or hop right into it with the right advisor you will be at least two years. My MBA only requires taking a test over the core courses and then I just need to focus on my management project. I will most likely use my grad research for that.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed in is that trying to get 45 units done in 3 qtrs really does not leave a lot of time for exploration. There's a ton of cool stuff, as a grad student you get to do whatever you can make a relevant case for. I want to get involved in everything from drones to AI but I don't have the time and would require excessive classes for some of it I think.

Also, it's extremely fast paced but much better than being at sea, as long as I'm not having El Faro nightmares and losing my grip on reality when my blood sugars stay too low for too long, leading to an embarrassing freak out on my marketing group.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 10, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

Don't stay in school to get a master's/phd you dorks, get a job that will pay you to get a master's/phd for free. UNLESS you reaallllly reallllly like academia and research and want your names on white papers.

The way I see it, the later you enter the workforce the less lifetime earning you make, that could be the difference of having an airplane or sailboat when you retire.

I don't have this option and am taking 2 years off for it. Thinking about the lost wages combined with the cost puts this at around 300-400k for me but on the other hand I am learning and seeing how things have changed in the last 10 years and see this as being a necessary choice.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I looked at a cal state where it's ~6k/qtr depending on if you are in a business program or not and Colorado School of Mines where it was somewhere under 30k for two semesters with out of state. So somewhere around 20-25k for one with in state tuition in CA. About the same if you have in state tuition in CO.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm in a two hour lecture right now and the person that just sat down next to me has some serious BO

Tell him No Smelly Fuckers Allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Group shame doesn't get enough love. Set standards ie, don't smell.