Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thanks for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

fuckkkk APA and its nuisances

All I’m really familiar with after HS, not sure if the others are better/worse.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Make sure you keep a fat dip lip in at all times

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nick Soapdish posted:

Just registered for my second semester. Excited to keep going with this. Only downside is that I only get online BAH and not locational.

iirc you only need one physical class to get 100% of the BAH? Could be worth looking into.

I found a program that had one night course a week and wasn't 100% online for this reason, heh.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Maybe he's remote but yeah the difference in $ is worth working something out

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I’m like 90% sure that’s all correct

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You should still be able to walk with your cohort and such all the same, if that’s important to you.

Also I’m not sure if it was different before, but they don’t seem to let you take filler classes anymore. It has to be towards a specific degree plan, and they check every transcript you’ve ever done ever to make sure you’re not double dipping or idk. I could be wrong of course.

I had a similar situation but rather it was because they thought a certain class counted for another, and it went unchecked. I ended up going to National University to bang the class out. They do a class at a time so it was accelerated and technically full-time, got most of my BAH, just of course not a semester length.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean this was last year but I had an online course, and the exams were at the test center

This chode scheduled it for 7 PM Halloween night. I know it’s not an official holiday, but drat, talk about cold.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gently caress I remember one day I had three finals. I’m sure someone got me beat but drat.

Always loved the professors that did it the week before and the last day of class was a wink wink nudge nudge I’ll be sick that day, or something of the sort

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

man going to law school in TYOOL 2018 just seems like a bad idea all around. All I hear about is how hard finding jobs is if you don’t go to the top tier schools—not lucrative at all. Not to shame Kawasaki or anything. I guess for those that have an undergrad completed that doesn’t get them anywhere they sometimes feel it’s the only option?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I’m sure a lot of it is just folks who thought they could just walk into high six figure jobs after finishing it up

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think I have enough bennies for grad school and that makes me pretty happy

How does having paid the $1,200 towards the Montgomery GI bill work? I believe my friend who exhausted his GI bill recently said they sent him a check once he used it all up. Someone else had told me they apply it toward your tuition once you exhaust your post 9-11, but I wasn’t aware you got the cash money

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I’ll have to check, it’d be more of a bridge program iirc so not as long as traditional grad school, but I could be wrong. I’ll definitely have to pay a bit out of pocket. I had a bunch of JC done before I went to big boy school, so it shaved off and saved me a few semesters.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Soulex posted:

Nothing like walking into a Final 1 hour into it because you misread the time

lol gently caress

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

anyone have a time mix up except it was most the class cause the instructor copy/pasted the syllabus

If they’re not here in 15 mins we can legally leave!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That's why you have to make sure you ask when it is and check that against what the school has scheduled. The final schedule is probably set long before the semester even starts. It's weird being in a class where you had to have taken another college class before this one and people still don't know how finals work.

what

Also idk if it is confidence from the mil, maturity, or what: but college was a lot of me being the older dude asking the arguably dumb questions

“oh man thanks for asking I was wondering too!”

or

“hey can you ask the professor if ______”

I guess I was a dumb timid teenager too my first go around. But man seemed like I always had to spearhead study or text groups. We’re in this together y’all

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I can barely skirt above a 3.0 wtf

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I'm currently sitting at a 4.0 GPA for all second attempt at college semesters. GPA is currently 3.12 thanks to my first attempt.

so does this depend on the college or what? Technically only the classes applicable to your degree that you’re using for credit should count towards your GPA, but as I understand that’s not really how it works?

Like gently caress, yeah I botched some JC classes when I was 19 why is it haunting me now and I gotta pay for my negligence of it all in my 30s. Almost didn’t get into the program I finished because of it

EBB posted:

Some of us are in programs that kick us out below a 3.0

watch out for this guy everyone

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

they curve those tests though right

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

People pay out of pocket to do all four years at a university and that blows my mind

Gotta have the whole experience!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I guess kids at a university will drop faster once their parents cut them off and all that, but in regards to the JC, I think that’s mostly the lower level classes at any rate

Y’all love group projects right?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Aardvark posted:

The few issues I've had like that have been on the medical side of the VA with the retired gunnies/chiefs treating everyone like we're all still in the hellworld of rank.

lol oh man anyone got any stories? I’ve never seen this firsthand, but don’t deny it happens

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean, I’ll buy that to extent, but I think it generalizes and gives a disservice to those who really want to succeed and move forward in life. Maybe they have poo poo HS grades, but that’s their time to shine and go for a good university/scholarships. Trust me, if University was more accessible then I’d say yeah, go there outright.

If you’re just really good at sports and want to destroy your brain for entertainment then that’s a whole other topic

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If they speak English, is it really an exotic experience?

But nah I was always a bit jealous of the dudes that somehow managed to go study in some cool Western Europe capital

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

bet they’re one of those that are very stern on the whole “I don’t curve!” Having it in bold on throughout the syllabus

or they gave everyone a study guide with nothing from the final on it

But really if a class average is below, say, 60-70%, it’s fair to blame the professor just a bit there. I just never understood the concept of making a final worth such a huge chunk of your grade, especially when it’s really just an extension of the exams you already had. Just imo and all that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

and you know that person studied their rear end off too

Do higher ups like the dean ever get involved when poo poo like that goes down? I was at a small school, and one exam had about 25% failing. They came out and did something behind closed doors with a curve and folks passing just barely above the threshold. It was obvious but they never admitted anything. It was less about caring if people are passing, and more about so many people being held back loving up the flow of the program

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah that’s lovely man

Not to be all: “ask to speak to the manager,” but can you ask the professor in person sincerely about a curve? Or go above them if needed? I mean the numbers are pretty telling...

I had a similar situation where I got a 54 or so, the median was 60, lowest in the 20s, and highest 75 or some poo poo. Thankfully just took an F and redid it elsewhere

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There was a good entertaining thread on reddit about all that and how to know when you know your professor is garbage, personal experiences etc

“___% of you WILL fail this class!!”

I just don’t get it

Found it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/a25p37/what_are_some_red_flags_from_teachers_that_shout/?st=JQ7LOYME&sh=678bda21

quote:

“I don’t have time to answer all of your questions”

“Stop complaining about how hard the material is, you’re all adults and can figure it out”

“Don’t ever complain about any of your professors until you do their evaluations at the end of the semester”.... what?

“I did the exam I’m about to give you and it only took me 10 minutes so it’s easy” - First of all you’re an expert in this field and the class average was a D.

quote:

"I don't believe in giving A's because I believe no one is perfect"

ok well the rest of academia has to follow the same GPA scale, including many of these kid's scholarship requirements and entrance to major requirements. Professors shouldn't get to artificially gently caress with that because they don't believe in it.

quote:

I had a professor who's "A" grade started at 96. 96. "B" started at 91. She started off the class by gloating that she took pride in lowering high GPAs. Like a slightly more psychopathic version of the professors that say, "Most of you will fail my class." She didn't want students to fail, she just wanted to gently caress with their self-esteem. She was a psychology professor, and I don't remember her name on purpose.

quote:

"Don't expect to pass this class"

You're just a lovely instructor, then

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lmao it’s a loving speech class good grief

I actually went all millennial and wrote a polite nastygram essay to one of my professors who was right on the cusp of being all of the above. He was a nice dude, but just didn’t seem to care if anyone passed. He said he was a psychologist and as such open to any and all criticism on the online boards so I just let it flow on a post. A lot of classmates said they agreed with everything I said. He was all about “understanding the material and concepts” but seemed to focus the class around memorization and regurgitating info...which is what he said he wasn’t about. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh this isn't one of your major classes? Then yeah you should only need a D. The only classes I needed a C for were my core Civ Eng classes.

.....D counts after high school?

nwin posted:

Professors around here seem to throw random grades around and I'm sick of it.

I feel ya. I’ve had a few classes like this and it’s pretty frustrating. With an online portal for most classes these days that breaks your grades down I find it helps mitigate this, but not always.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:toot:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That’s awesome dude :toot:

sorry, I mean NERD

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

grad school is the new undergrad amiright

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Lol gf starting college and she’s like: “wait I have to pay how much for a book and I can’t get used cause I need a code for the online portion for turning in assignments?”

lol yep

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

some people are just plain math dumb, and will never really understand concepts beyond repetition and memorization to get by

That person is me. I didn’t fare any better in statistics either

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The way I understood it was all online got an online school BAH rate, and if you took say 10 units online and 2 on campus/site you’d get the higher BAH rate

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

can’t stay at mom’s home rent free after 18 if I’m not furthering myself via education

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Every time someone mentions something about grad school it’s some horror story. I’d like to get around to it at some point but drat

I have five months left plus the $1,000 I paid into the Montgomery. Think it’d take me just under two years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

speaking of x degree only being useful after grad school whenever someone isn’t sure what to major in, then chooses their undergrad in psychology, I want to sit them down and tell them why it’s a terrible idea

Maybe unless you’re pre-med, but even then.

y’all remember when having a high school diploma was cool???