Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
If you aren't on VA Vocational Rehabilitation, you need to get on that. I would have spent over $1100 on books and various other BS like parking fees. Instead I filled out some forms and the VA payed for all of it. At the end of the semester books get sold for a profit, almost makes getting hosed by the army seem worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was in 2 clubs, scuba and archery. Both were pretty solid, made some great friends, good places to score weed. 10/10, would get stoned out of my mind on a dive trip again.

Did anyone make a bong or pipe out of scuba equipment? Because that would be the sort of club I would join.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Pesticide20 posted:

The couches are comfy, there are snacks, and it's usually empty

The community college I went to had an awesome vet lounge with computers, tv's, and plenty of couches. Somehow the school I'm at now has no vet lounge despite more veterans attending. Fix your poo poo UW Bothell.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

McNally posted:

The 2017 FAFSA uses your 2015 tax information.

Which means I'm going to have to go to the financial aid office and say "everything came apart at the very end of 2015 and I made eight dollars in 2016, hook me up with a Pell Grant please."

Just another step to get that sweet Pell Grant money. I'm in the same boat but the Financial Aid office knows me well, considering I'm at their office every other month it seems to fix one of their screw ups with my payments.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

App13 posted:

The VFW helped with my my disability paperwork, but that was an office in a federal building. Do they have elk lodges or something too?

Yea find your local VFW post It's been a while since I've been in a VFW post but their pretty good if you want some cheap beer.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Pesticide20 posted:

My loving voc rehab counselor is so bad at communicating. He never replies to my emails or answers my calls. I had to contact the school in order to find out that he'd sent the paperwork they need. poo poo causes me way too much stress because it isn't something I shouldn't​ have to deal with but it's important that it gets done because I've got a lot more fees to pay at the University of Washington than I did at the community college I'm transferring from.

The Voc Rehab counselors in Seattle all seem to have this issue. I typically have to call several times before my counselor finally responds. Others people I know using Voc Rehab at UW Bothell all say the same things.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Anyone have any experience in using your GI Bill at schools outside of the US?

When I researched schools in Europe I quickly realized the GI Bill wasn't going to cover living expenses in Western Europe. I could have lived comfortably in Eastern Europe on the GI Bill but the quality of education didn't seem to be as good as anything I'd get in the US.

Every veteran I met at community college was either a complete moron or a sperg. Once I got over to a 4 year university most of the vets seem to have their poo poo in order and actually work hard.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
So I applied for financial aid through my school. The awards letter came through and I have a huge grant that is significantly larger then the Pell Grant. The Pell grant is around 5k for the year. My school is giving me 12k for the year as some sort of Undergrad grant. That feels like to much money and I'm wondering if I should talk to the financial aid office to make sure I'm actually entitled to the money.

E: this is on top of my Voc Rehab benefits too.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

McNally posted:

You're never going to qualify for Post 9/11 GI Bill, though. At least not 100%. Hell, you're probably not going to get 50%. You know that, right?

LOL the one thing that makes joining the military worth it and the Guard folks don't get full access. School still hasn't started but after talking to financial aid at my school I'll get all my financial aid direct deposited to me. Now to figure out where to waste that money.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
An 1800 page loose leaf book? That has to suck. My intermediate accounting book barely breaks 1000 pages and I hate lugging the stupid thing around. At least it's the actual book though so selling it shouldn't be to hard.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Boon posted:

Business school is about figuring out who has the electronic copy of the book and figuring out a scheme to share costs

Business school is about getting VA Voc Rehab and getting brand new books every semester and then reselling to students taking the class after you. Buy low, sell high. :smug:

E: By sell high I literally mean sell your books for drug money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Boon posted:

I don't know what Voc Rehab is though!

:(

Voc Rehab Site

You sign up through e-benefits. Just need a 10% disability rating. It's worth the extra paperwork and hassle.