Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

It's a drat shame we no longer have Borden around to animate characters putting guns to their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Darthemed posted:

One of the few times I can think of in which Watterson drew breasts in an even slightly eroticized style. Creep out your friends with that trivia. :sonia:
Allegedly, Watterson also thought The Dark Knight Returns was really stupid.

This is eerily similar to a page from Age of Apocolypse that came a few years later and I can't work out if it's some sort of in-joke reference to this or Bill was just so spot on with his satire he happened to predict a page from Marvel Comics in the future.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 10, 1951)

Nancy (January 24, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (September 23, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (October 22, 1923)

Lil' Abner (June 21, 1937)

Barney Google (October 23, 1922)

Alley Oop (January 22, 1934)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 27, 1994)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg™

Dustin

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ballard Street is a one-panel strip drawn by Jerry Van Amerongen. It covers the things done on what appears to be a street populated by ungainly retirees and their ungainly animal friends. If I remember correctly, the old thread's blurb about it was "it reads like one man having a New Yorker caption contest with himself and losing". It runs Monday through Saturday.

Unlike Marlon Manley, who runs whenever he has sufficient motivation.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Ballard Street is pretty great. It's probably my favorite single panel comic out there currently.

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I've enjoyed Ballard Street for many years. I used to read it in the Swedish "The Far Side" comic book (called "Larson!") and loved every stupid little thing them dogs and elderly folks were up to.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro Club

Dilbert

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd expect a cannibal from Pirahna Club but Bizarro is supposed to be better than that! Not by a whole lot, but still.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Note how Fritzi's winter coat somehow clings to her boobs like it was painted on.

Buni won't be back until next week, so here's Rhymes with Orange.

Pros and Cons

And Edge of Adventure, which really wants to be a throwback to the great adventure strips of yesteryear, but is undermined by muddled storytelling that manages to kill any hint of drama, crappy (and often traced) art, and above all a glacial weekly pace. For instance, our hero has just arrived in Vancouver's Chinatown, been shot at, and heard that he's supposed to be delivering a golden dragon that will somehow give China the advantage in their war with Japan -- but Allen and Vorderbrug take a week to draw various Chinese cliches so we know we're really in Chinatown. Don't you just feel the sense of place?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Taken as a self-contained story, these three strips suggest Calvin will have a future rich in serial murdering.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Honestly, that's a pretty sweet dragon.

Calvin and Hobbes

And the GoComics comments think he's talking about actual sex ed, completely missing the joke.

Ripley's

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Darthemed posted:

And the GoComics comments... completely missing the joke.

Right, but is there anything noteworthy occurring there?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

And Edge of Adventure, which really wants to be a throwback to the great adventure strips of yesteryear, but is undermined by muddled storytelling that manages to kill any hint of drama, crappy (and often traced) art, and above all a glacial weekly pace. For instance, our hero has just arrived in Vancouver's Chinatown, been shot at, and heard that he's supposed to be delivering a golden dragon that will somehow give China the advantage in their war with Japan -- but Allen and Vorderbrug take a week to draw various Chinese cliches so we know we're really in Chinatown. Don't you just feel the sense of place?

Let's not underplay the "muddled storytelling" angle. It took something like six months of one-a-week posts to actually get to the beginning of the story. Two of those months were just about getting the protagonist to wake up.

Anyway, on to the good stuff (according to Jerry Robinson): "Nothing like Skippy [(Percy Crosby)] had ever been seen before in the comic strips. It was not just Skippy’s expert draftsmanship or remarkable flair, although that artistry earned its creator a reputation as ‘the cartoonist’s cartoonist’… The brilliance of Skippy was that here was fantasy with a realistic base, the first kid cartoon with a definable and complex personality grounded in daily life." Which is why what happened later on will make you want to eat Peter Pan or Jif for the rest of your life. (October 14-16, 1929)

Peanuts (January 5, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire is a send-up of the type of two-fisted adventure strip that only diehards like us seem to read anymore, at least in the US market. It's about a square-jawed man of action and the redhead that he married to troll the GoComics comments section.

Out Our Way (March 10-11, 1930)

This is a good place to mention that we present the past warts and all. This will probably be your only warning.

Thimble Theater is the legendary adventures of Castor Oyl, a restless little shrimp who lives in a seaport town, and some guy named Popeye, a sailor who is destined for great things once his jawline fully inflates. (July 22, 1930)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, last Christmas I was able to binge on 20,000+ posts and catch up with the 2016 thread in early January, this year, I gave up and skipped from April to today.

Any major developments?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Allen Wren posted:

Any major developments?

Mary Worth's art is good now, all of Judge Parker is good now, Guy Gilchrist and Tom Batiuk remain irredeemable.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mary Worth's art is good now, all of Judge Parker is good now, Guy Gilchrist and Tom Batiuk remain irredeemable.

Funky Winkerbean is great if you like smug faces.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Allen Wren posted:

Well, last Christmas I was able to binge on 20,000+ posts and catch up with the 2016 thread in early January, this year, I gave up and skipped from April to today.

Any major developments?

Brooke McEldowney abdicated his pervert throne and actually started drawing really good and interesting comic strips starting sometime in the middle of last year; go to the 9CL archives and just keep reading until you hit the fun stuff (it starts around Mid-May, maybe? with an AI simulation of Shakespeare gaining consciousness and realizing it's being used to sell hamburgers iirc).

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sorry I can't remember the start date but it's definitely the kind of thing you want to read from the beginning, so just keep going forward until you find it. When you catch up let me know your thoughts on whether the hints that the ruling oligarchy is itself a simulation are actually flaws in the AI's robot body's perceptions

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Ticket holders don't give a poo poo when people buy their ticket. People buy their tickets early all the time. But we just have to be reminded of how cultured he is by his love of Casablanca. You're no Fingal from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Allen Wren posted:

Any major developments?

Mark Trail got out of the cave.

Richard Thompson died.

Momma died.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kennel posted:

Mark Trail got out of the cave.

Richard Thompson died.

Momma died.

And the wrong Paul Ryan died (the one who was drawing the Phantom).

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Is there not an off switch? Seems a little overenthusiastic.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Phantom's really hung up on this stamp thing.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (January 5, 1970)

My most mysterious letter was one I got last year:

What kind of piano information short of "There is one falling down towards where you are sitting right now" could possibly be important to me?

F Minus

Mary Worth

Oh my! I'm getting the vapors here.

Rex Morgan MD

Yes, and there's space there for you to have all the rabbits that you want!

Secret Agent X-9 is a vintage strip about an FBI agent who investigates various crimes. I find myself getting lost in the storylines a lot. It features cutting edge 30s-era crimefighting technology, so it's a little like an old-fashioned CSI sometimes. It was created by Maltese Falcon writer Dashiell Hammett and Alex Raymond (who also did the other comic I post, Jungle Jim) of Flash Gordon fame, but it appears they both left the strip early in its run.

Apartment 3-G is another vintage strip. 3-G ended last year altogether, and I posted that so I started posting this when it became available. I'm really impressed by Alex Kotzky's art a lot of the time. Right now, 1971 just began and the 3-G girls' neighbor and friend the professor is looking for the son of an old flame of his (actually a now-married former student with whom he had an affair), who has gotten himself into some kind of predicament.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

huh

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Brooke McEldowney abdicated his pervert throne and actually started drawing really good and interesting comic strips starting sometime in the middle of last year; go to the 9CL archives and just keep reading until you hit the fun stuff (it starts around Mid-May, maybe? with an AI simulation of Shakespeare gaining consciousness and realizing it's being used to sell hamburgers iirc).

somehow I don't believe you

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gotta say, I'm worried about Gilchrist. I don't think he's handling the recent election well.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Allen Wren posted:

somehow I don't believe you

:palmon: nyoro~n

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Odonata posted:

Gotta say, I'm worried about Gilchrist. I don't think he's handling the recent election well.

Is that really what that's referring to? I had the Gilch down as a trumpster for sure.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Johnny Walker posted:

My most mysterious letter was one I got last year:

What kind of piano information short of "There is one falling down towards where you are sitting right now" could possibly be important to me?

Don't leave us hanging!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yes. Thank goodness those invasive ants and birds have been destroyed. Now they will never be able to damage that island's delicate ecosystem. :what:

Luann has decided to start the new year out right by switching to the more boring of its currently running plotlines. The biggest development last year was that Luann's brother Brad finally got around to marrying his girlfriend Toni. Fun Fact: They almost got married on September 11, but public outcry forced Team Evans to change the date. Anyhoo, looks like this week Brad and Toni are home from the honeymoon to spend time with their hideous wallpaper and arsonist roommate.

The Amazing Spider-Man

I hope Spidey never stops getting his rear end kicked by a space raccoon.

If Sally Forth shares one quality with Luann, it's that it flip flops between multiple storylines from week to week. The background to this one is that Hilary broke up with her long distance boyfriend Jon and then he started hitting on her friend Nona when Hil went to summer camp.

The Heart of Juliet Jones: In this timeline, Julie is a mayor! She got invited to some big mayor's confab where the dashing Governor Millson, noticing that Julie is the only lady mayor in existence, immediately set his sights on getting all up into her panties. Date night was spoiled, however, by the arrival of Gov Millson's son, who is a complete poo poo.

Edit: Sometimes I forget to adjust the image size from colossal to merely huge. Usually it doesn't take me so long to notice, though. Hope I didn't just blow up anybody's monitor.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 3, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

Ella Cinders

That Rookie From the 13th Squad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not like Nona can even lie. Their friend telepathy would reveal that immediately.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
I'm being lazy right now, so I'll post a description with my next post.

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Mr. Carri-on is well known for packing light and avoiding luggage fees.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set sees the opening, takes it.

Working Daze gets back to its roots (lazy nerd references).

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gets into merchandising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like saying Judge Parker "got good" undersells its transformation.

Francesco Marculiano, aka "the Sally Forth guy," took over and immediately began to destroy the lives of the overly-wealthy protagonists in the most satisfying way. That factory staffed only by old people and run primarily on bribery? Sinkhole! The movie based on the Judge's book? Cancelled! Sophie? Missing! Basically every ongoing plot thread involving the Parker-Drivers receiving lots of money based on being main characters was shoved into the goddamned dirt to make something new and crazy.

• Locked thread