Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

goatface posted:

I have never considered a book signing where random people walk up and buy the book. Aren't they for fans who already know who the author is?

Then again, I've never been to one.

It depends. A lot bookstores will have promotional stuff up days or weeks in advance with the intention of drawing in people based on the book's audience or subject-- this is easier for things like cookbooks or nonfiction stuff with local interest. Others will have a pretty reliable event schedule-- ie., poetry reading every second Saturday, etc.-- and if these events get a good reputation for being interesting and well-run people will show up for names they've never heard of. Many indie bookstores also have pretty dedicated event promoting efforts because that's a great way to get people into the store-- if there's a small press reading with, say, four authors, and 1/3 of the audience comes in to hear one author they like, 1/3 comes in because they want to do something kind of literary on a boring weekday night, and 1/3 comes in because they know there'll be free wine and crackers, the chances of each one of those people ending up spending a little $$ even if simply out of politeness is pretty good. Of course this model kind of hinges on the people running the events building up a good reputation as organizers and curators.

It's also not like these events take place in a soundproof chamber. I can't speak to big box chain stores but usually they're just happening in the middle of the store somewhere, and I've often just walked by something going on, been drawn in, and wound up buying a book because of it.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

goatface posted:

I have never considered a book signing where random people walk up and buy the book. Aren't they for fans who already know who the author is?

Then again, I've never been to one.

It's both.

Edit: It's a chance for fans to meet the author and get autographs on their newest work or on older things they bring in. It is also a chance for potential readers to meet an author and find out a bit about who they are and what they write and maybe buy a copy of whatever the author is selling. If the author isn't established, you may be able to buy the books at a discount because the author has already bought them is trying to recoup a portion of the cost but is mostly just happy to get new people reading their work.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 31, 2017

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tunicate posted:

Fans will show up if you have any. Otherwise you just set up in the bookstore, have them give an announcement, and hope for the best.

I guess sometimes you just have to toughen up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TofuDiva posted:

Ballard Street

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

How strict are we feeling about what's allowed in the thread these days? I ask because we're now out of translated Honey Come Chatka and there are a couple other bkub comics I could post in the meantime, but one of them definitely hasn't been printed anywhere; it's a thing he posts on Twitter occasionally.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

:justpost:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Angular Cyrus posted:

Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

How strict are we feeling about what's allowed in the thread these days? I ask because we're now out of translated Honey Come Chatka and there are a couple other bkub comics I could post in the meantime, but one of them definitely hasn't been printed anywhere; it's a thing he posts on Twitter occasionally.

If it's written or drawn by the same guy, it's allowed under the "side project" category.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Baby Blues

Curtis

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Or sticking noseplugs soaked in anesthetic up someone's nose (another favorite Modesty trick for dealing with guards).
Or just bashing people unconscious with blunt instruments, fists or feet, which they do all the time. Knocking people out in fiction is convenient and 100% non-lethal, as compared with real life where it's actually quite difficult and also very likely to kill them anyway.

So, the answer is "accurately"? I don't get it.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Mother From Another Country

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, I laughed a few times during the loop so yes.

As for suggestions, one of the Dinette Set would work well, I think.

Haifisch posted:

You're missing Deathany*

*From "On The Fastrack"

(Serious answer: Dakota from Phoebe & Her Unicorn would fit right in)

Done and done. Thanks for the input! I'll probably buy it when I have the time tomorrow.

Final ver:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
I really appreciate the Intelligent Life edits that were just posted here. Maybe one day I'll treat you all to a megapost of old edits I have stockpiled. :tipshat:

Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

This is somehow more gross than when Brooke spends a week with "AND THEN THEY ALL hosed" strips.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Did I miss something? Since when is the biggest part of Halloween not knowing who other people are?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 24-25, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 25, 1996)

Garfield Classic (March 24-25, 1986)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

Mother From Another Country

Is the translation of the name of mom's coffee a video game joke that wouldn't translate outside of Korean culture, or is it a clue that she's just making something up that she thinks sounds fancy?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The original translation straight-up said GTA (in English, not the Korean alphabet) so I'm assuming it's some sort of relevant coffee acronym. No idea what it's supposed to mean though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

The original translation straight-up said GTA (in English, not the Korean alphabet) so I'm assuming it's some sort of relevant coffee acronym. No idea what it's supposed to mean though.
Hot Coffee?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
This is like what someone whom has never been in a relationship and whom only has television and cartoons as a reference thinks one is like.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

fondue posted:

This is like what someone whom has never been in a relationship and whom only has television and cartoons as a reference thinks one is like.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set could be anybody.

Working Daze is an unhealthy work environment.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is losing the argument.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

This is somehow more gross than when Brooke spends a week with "AND THEN THEY ALL hosed" strips.
It's almost exactly the same as a McEldowney strip, honestly. Reddick just hasn't gotten to the actual sex part yet. McEldowney's characters go through this phase first too.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Julet Esqu posted:

If it's written or drawn by the same guy, it's allowed under the "side project" category.

And it's bound to be 10,000% better than the utter garbage allowed in here under that rule already so get to it!

the bus knows your innermost desires

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

The Amazing Minor Character We Last Saw Several Months Ago

Nancy

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

SuperKlaus posted:

And it's bound to be 10,000% better than the utter garbage allowed in here under that rule already so get to it!

the bus knows your innermost desires

I get the joke, but I thought the entirely wrong thing on first looking.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

It's almost exactly the same as a McEldowney strip, honestly. Reddick just hasn't gotten to the actual sex part yet. McEldowney's characters go through this phase first too.
Oh God I can't even imagine how bad it will be when they finally have sex.

Let me guess, it's going to be she's smiling with half closed eyes, he's making that dumbass goofy face he makes.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Cause this nail gun says you can come down a dollar or two."

Apartment 3-G

These ladies are good at getting to the dirt.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 27, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 13, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (April 9, 1924)

Lil' Abner (December 9, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Barney Google (April 12, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 12, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (July 8, 1935)

Dickie Dare (August 21, 1933)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
This isn't what I was going to post, but I couldn't just pass this fat, depressed cat by.

Nekonaughey

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Angular Cyrus posted:

This isn't what I was going to post, but I couldn't just pass this fat, depressed cat by.

Nekonaughey

Best part of the decade reading these threads in 17 different iterations and this is the best post ever
The adventures of neko Roastu Beefu

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Look at this fat gently caress
There's at least fifty pieces of candy in there

• Locked thread