Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

bean_shadow posted:

Shouldn't he have known this before marrying her? Even if they were still dating, I think the fact that she has a company would come up.

Also I am the last person to know the nitty gritty of these things but...if she sells her jet to her own company, isn't something illegal there? Like it's not embezzlement but that seems like something you would get in trouble for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I think I finally realized that 9CL is a strip full of characters and plots that literally no one can relate to. Not even the cat. Don't ask why this took me until 2017 to realize.

Also geez, that is a hostile work environment in the Intelligent Life. Calm down and don't actively threaten your co-workers lady.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

WickedHate posted:

Pop Team Epic

This one is just complete gibberish to me. :shrug:

Honey Come Chatka

Context!

The Bites the Dust part is definitely a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference. The rest is probably assorted other pop fictional references or tropes I'd assume

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Calimero please apologize to those Street Fighter 3 boys. They did no wrong.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

At the comics convention, a schlubby guy has a celebratory heart attack.

You dumb dweeb. You gotta stay hydrated at cons :mad: Is this your first time or something?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I wish I could make Brooke eat whatever book he gets all his stupid words no one uses from. The joke is probably on me though cuz it is presumably already up his rear end.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Safety Dance posted:

To be fair, Mark has to play it cool while making a decision about damage protection at gunpoint.

Also work doesn't wanna pay for his shenanigans anymore. They won't let him get a boat or a helicopter or nothing :(

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I always hope that Brook's comics will just get pulled and cancelled so they can just...not exist anymore. That'd be real cool.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Advertising the Luanne from King of the HIll line.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I don't know of any drought days around here in Ohio but I don't know if it's different up Cleveland way. I would think no?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

BigglesSWE posted:

I gackfukkgreeehhhhaaaaaaAAAAAHHHHH

WE GET IT BEACH BOYS WAS THE BEST THING TO EVER GRACE THE EARTH SINCE CHRIST WALKED THE EARTH WILL YOU MOVE THE gently caress ON ALREADY.

Sorry, I really needed to get that out. Won't somebody please direct me to Ballard St, I would really like to see some ancient weirdos that are actually funny.

The Beach Boys were monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnsIe4cXfY

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Not sure if this was posted or not, but if you ever wanna read up on the kaiju and anime opinions of the current Sally Forth team, do I have the link for you!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-07-05/interview-sally-forth-creative-team-talk-anime-kaiju-in-latest-arc/.118183

Also yo Ripley's, you just used a variation of that fact about Charles Darwin's tortoise like last week.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I don't know if it bugs anyone else but like...as well drawn as they can be, I hate the Sunday Funkys where it's just "look I drew based off an old comic thing. Isn't that special?"

No. It's not :T

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Pastry of the Year posted:

Allow me to put on the world's ugliest hat, that of "Funky Winkerbean Apologist": I think those Sundays are great. He's commissioning a lot of great old comic artists to produce work, and gets it in front of arguably fresh eyes (my mom, for example, doesn't know who Russ Heath or Paul Gulacy or Michael Golden are, but she reads the comics in the paper she still subscribes to just like anyone else).

That one being Russ Heath, in particular, reminded me of this comic, and the particularly the fact that a lot of these artistic greats aren't necessarily living high on the hog in their retirements.

Ok see, I was totally unaware of that. For some reason I thought he was just drawing his chars and emulating old comic artists' styles, not actually getting said old artists to do it. I recede my comments then cuz that's actually pretty cool.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Julet Esqu posted:

Bisexuality exists! Being bisexual and still leaning toward one gender exists! Being bisexual but leaning so strongly toward one gender that it's just simpler to tell people you're gay/straight exists! But this "gays just haven't found the right woman" bullshit is bullshit! When Brooke added GHulk as a character, he would have been one of very few frequently recurring gay characters on the comics page, making his presence somewhat progressive. So what the hell with this regressive garbage, Brooke? I mean, I know the answer is that it's Brooke. It was a sort of rhetorical question.

Also, Edda's engaged. Won't anybody think of Amos? I know the readers rightly try to avoid it, but Edda and GHulk certainly should.

I think he forgot they were engaged after spending 2 years on Nazi Grandma storyline and then another year on random Chinese rival's wedding to British man.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I know this isn't news considering he does it fairly often in at least one of his comics, but god drat these eyes

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Cicadalek posted:

Holbrook comics really have their own special way of pissing me off. They're really consistent, over years and years, but they're always consistently not funny. Like it's tuned to some bandwidth of humor that's above or below what any normal person would find funny, and he just never ever fixes it. Every comic ends with a panel like "And here's the punchline! Good eh?" and your brain is just like "what the gently caress? no"

There's also just the "whew good thing our characters are good and blameless in all scenarios even if there's no reason they should be like however the hosed up meat eating society members work". Oh the mom runs some kind of carnivore company too but don't worry, they're not evil somehow.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
If I remember right he is in something like Cirque du Soleil so obviously people in that always are on trapeze at all times. I don't know how his head isn't like a bloated tick from always being upside down though.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Man Rose is Rose, you're so bland you can't even sit next to a fire to roast your marshmallows?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
As a quick aside like atleast 30% of anime is gothic so that makes the joke even dumber.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
This Funky Winkerbean is messing with me as to why they're holding it in Centerville if they're supposed to be near Cleveland. Centerville is by Dayton. You're the wrong direction from your fake Northern Ohio town dammit!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Strontium posted:

And I love you for it.

Intelligent Life

I am not sure what character they mean with Star Trek here. Is it just they can't NOT say something about Star Trek in this cuz I'd believe that.

Also the little sister in Baldo feels like she's channeling some of the more obnoxious parts from late seasons Lisa Simpson.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

catlord posted:

The captain in Star Trek: Discovery is a woman. Man, remember that loving weird Intelligent Life where Gwen turned into the ship from Discovery?

Oh ok thanks. I legit know nothing about the new one so I wasn't sure what the heck she was talking about.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell Looks like this poo poo is going to keep going and going

I have this feeling like, these are all long time fans getting self inserts into the comic as previously established characters or something. I feel like he's done this before from previous times this strip was posted.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Strontium posted:

I don't hate US Acres. It's definitely aimed at babychildren, and starting the comic with a story arc is weird, but as I recall it's cutesy and inoffensive once the daily gag strips start.

Intelligent Life

I fixed this one because it's 5am and my brain said "yea let's do that"

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
The mouths and jaws in that old Retail art really bug me for some reason. Especially the boss lady holy cow.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

I've read this like 6 times now and I still do not get the "punchline."

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

CommaToes posted:

She doesn't buy stuff first hand because her money is spent paying off her student debt?

Yea I got that, I guess it's just another case of "not really being a joke" that is a constant in his comics. Student loans suck though, I definitely get that part haha

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Something about modern day Garfield's coloration looks off, in the ears region especially. Like it feels like there should be more black up there but I'm not sure what it is. I might just be too used to see B&W comics of Garfield though haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I dunno abut you guys, but hearing my wife is going to take my name gets me ridiculously horny. Like insatiably horny. Yep this is my hugest turn on.

Seriously gently caress off Brooke.

Also it was pointed out but holy poo poo, all these interchangable women with the same face and body in Intelligent Life. I almost called it Intelligent Daze since both comics are uuggggh worthy haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Even less than kissing, have the two even done something like hold hands in Intelligent Life? They seem to mostly just talk at each other and melt.

Also that old Funky always reminds me how over time Carla just looked more and more like Lisa each appearance.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Personality transfer?

Or brain/body swap. How far down the tropes page will you go Curtis?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
All of these mid 90s posters and shirts Aunt Fritzi has are just the most bland "check out the music I like!" references. I don't know if that's better or worse than the ones the current strips do.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I'm glad when things go Nekonaughey's way :)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I will NEVER believe the sunglasses dingus in Safe Havens was any good at basketball.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
It's not gonna go this way, but man I hope those covers sell for garbage in Funky.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Synthbuttrange posted:

why is a comic about a squirrel being repeatedly owned so good?

Cuz squirrels deserve to get owned, but ESPECIALLY that squirrel.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Reading that Kevin and Kel, I think the worst part of it is just none of the characters seem relatable. They're all just super successful at everything they do or are super hyper special and it's like...yo come on dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Yo Dustin, why not try a different temp agency? Or atleast a different agent? gently caress that lady

• Locked thread