Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

I was holding off comment, but apparently Murphy is yet another writer who thinks the Mona Lisa is painted on canvas (it's actually painted on a wooden panel).

Sure, it's easy to point fingers after the fact! It's a really good fake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Allen Wren posted:

Well, last Christmas I was able to binge on 20,000+ posts and catch up with the 2016 thread in early January, this year, I gave up and skipped from April to today.

Any major developments?

Brooke McEldowney abdicated his pervert throne and actually started drawing really good and interesting comic strips starting sometime in the middle of last year; go to the 9CL archives and just keep reading until you hit the fun stuff (it starts around Mid-May, maybe? with an AI simulation of Shakespeare gaining consciousness and realizing it's being used to sell hamburgers iirc).

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sorry I can't remember the start date but it's definitely the kind of thing you want to read from the beginning, so just keep going forward until you find it. When you catch up let me know your thoughts on whether the hints that the ruling oligarchy is itself a simulation are actually flaws in the AI's robot body's perceptions

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Allen Wren posted:

somehow I don't believe you

:palmon: nyoro~n

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well when the wolf and the rabbit had a baby it was a little rabbit that could eat full-grown adult predators, so the porcupine and the bat will have a baby that

e: all the species can interbreed, reason #278 why Holbrook's animal society is both nightmarish and unworkable

e2: "well fine then the species, which broadly represent various human personalities and ethnicities, CAN'T interbreed!" "no that's even worse Bill! stop it!!"

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 4, 2017

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

what
what is in the 'hot stuff' canister

Superglue.

That TJ, what a prankster!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

Captain dumbfuck is gonna tie em together then there's gonna be a pissed off machete armed Modesty/Willie tag team.

(one second into the fight) "Oh no, they've both figured out they're not actually tethered to a nine-foot-tall, 450 pound Asian man!! But . . . how?!?!"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (March, 1940, click for big)

Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor every time! Thanks to Karl M., London, Eng.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Hahaha it really did take them one second to figure out the trick. Great job, bad guys!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, Ed. The man is just trying to do his job. Go gently caress yourself.

Ed is so frequently an rear end in a top hat to people he deems as lower status (including his own son). At least the wife is almost rolling her eyes today. Are we really supposed to identify with this dick?

Any time someone else is in a position of superiority over him—even, say, a doctor or a mechanic—he becomes the whiniest, pissiest baby about it. Not to their face, though; he rants to his family, later, at home in his safe space.

Ed's a poo poo.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 9, 2017

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

I haven't read this thread in several years, how is Dustin still a thing

Is it still two angry old men making the same complainy joke about how Kids These Days Are So Lazy over and over again ad nauseam or has the bit finally gotten old and they've bothered to develop their main character a little?

You've got incredible timing! This week, for the first time in a long time, they remembered to show Dustin actually being lazy!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Let's bowl, let's bowl
Let's rock and roll!

"Well, my great-grandma loves Wii Bowling at the retirement home, so I figured . . ."

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

Go after him?? Do you have any idea how many people in a given crowd are wearing doctor's smocks?? Forget it, he's gone!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Transmodiar posted:

For better or worse, Modesty Blaise is about to head into new territory:

In other words, we're about to enter the post-Romero years. You will notice the change in art style immediately - and I totally understand if you bail out as Burns steps in. He'll be taking the lead on only two stories, so we'll see how Patrick Wright works out soon enough.

And now, without further ado, Yellowstone Booty:

Eh, it could be worse. It's definitely looser and more stylized, and the sense of space is Not Great, but after that last story I was starting to tire of Romero's one Asian face.

I'm not looking forward to Burns's idea of a Modesty Blaise fight scene though.

WickedHate posted:

Honey Come Chatka

Tayowns

Hell Yeah.

Tiggum posted:

You pay less than a dollar for a potato, but thousands of dollars for a car! People are willing to pay thousands for a new TV, but they won't pay the same for a can of softdrink! They'll spend hours on a plane to go on holiday, but not to get to work every day! People will spend two hours watching a movie, but not two hours cleaning their teeth! It's madness everywhere you look!

*in extremely Billingsley voice* athletes get paid more than janitors

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

"The antisocial media" is definitely the kind of quip a twenty-something would make and not at all a phrase that exudes Boomer dust.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

Curtis comes up with a strip-within-a-strip that is way funnier than the strip itself:

Proof that Brad and Toni eventually reach the end of their rope and kill TJ. But even death cannot stop him . . .

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

There've been worse ways to remember MLK.

(2015)

SomeMathGuy posted:

the real stand-out garbage today was Mike Lester

Something about the third Monday of January just seems to rile him up!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hrrmm, if only those squabbling black and white birds weren't equally responsible for disappearing the good MLK Jr. man . . . really makes you think watch the whole thing awkwardly and then mug to the camera . . .

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

For those of you keeping track at home, that's one thing that should've killed Mark accounted for, 4,768 unaccounted for.

I don't know if it really counts as "accounted for" if the explanation is "idk lol."

"Yeah man, the entire island literally exploded, but fortunately we kept our mouths pointed away from the source of the deadly gases at all times!"
"Quick thinking, Mark!"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I get that Batiuk wants to relate to the "I never exercise, because it's so hard! (because I never exercise)" crowd, but Funky's been running regularly for years; he shouldn't still be going "wow is that what exertion feels like?? I want to die" every single time.

Kammat posted:

Oh gently caress you Batiuk

Fine art, right?? :jerkbag: Now let me tell you about the glorious perfect Golden Age of comics book

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

sweeperbravo posted:

He hasn't realized he has a terminal exercisoma

RIP all the funny "Exercise, more like the literal torment of a Satan, from Hell!!" jokes (born: middle age, died: died)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail :siren: IS ON TO US :siren:

(in an extremely unresearched, copy-pasted, and off-model voice) I'm trying my best!!! :qq:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Don Wimmer apparently thinks ugly, greedy, badly drawn animals are the funniest possible thing. He's added squirrels, raccoons, and this goose to the strip, and it's the same barely-a-joke every time, and every time I see any of them I actually sincerely wish that the cutesy Gumbo family would get out some shotguns and simply blow them away.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

There's no reason to be judgmental of Buck Fatty, lady in black.

Oh no! Cyberbullies!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Are personal injury lawsuits a big thing in Hong Kong like they are in the U.S.?

I don't know who the gently caress Gerald is but I'm guessing we'll all get to find out as these two wieners plod toward what will surely be described hundreds of times as a speedy, impetuous marriage. Be sure to tune in August 2019 for the beautiful ceremony!!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Like if she had built an actual factory with big wide escape routes staffed by capable, physically able workers instead of lovely shipping container death traps with no means of escape for the old, infirm people who operated in them?

This hypothetical :airquote:lawful enterprise:airquote: would have begun and ended with two words: site survey.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

James Allen didn't draw any of these animals.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well MAYBE if all ya'll backed off and let her have some time and space to work through this, you wouldn't be having these problems.

My kidnapped daughter violently destroyed every object in her room, retreated to her reddit basement, and does a Rorschach's-journal monologue whenever we try to speak to her. This is fine. Better give her some space, I'm sure she'll work it all out by age sixty or so.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

Oh great, another "Moe Szyslak looks for love" episode. Gee, it's almost as if after 28 seasons they've run out of ideas.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Saliva boils at over 1100 Kelvin?? Wow! You learn something new every day when you read Ripley's Fact Check It Or Not!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kennel posted:

Also, the first two Google results tell that saliva's boiling point is pretty much same as water's.

For that to be true, saliva would have to be pretty much the same as water, and not a mystical secretion impenetrable to Science Rays.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom Meets Disproportionate Retribution

That wasn't even poison or sleeping powder or anything, they just shot an arrow full of sand at him and sand fell on him and he screamed like a child, farted, and died.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
"My name is Jeffy, and I'm here to F y'."

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

:allears:

Weekend at Burley's

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

He's got an arm around you, Pru. It's a fancy restaurant on Valentine's week. You really expect anybody to believe you're not getting this?

Well you know how ingenuous and sheltered those homosexual NYC theater actors are.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Am I mistaken or is Dirty a character we've seen before?

I probably have the details wrong but I'm like 90% sure that Dirty was a wildlife refuge worker who was secretly working with poachers to smuggle ivory. His comeuppance was to be eaten by lions or trampled by an elephant stampede or something, so obviously if he's brought back he must have a facial scar.

goatface posted:

He's going to turn Mark Trail into his other interminable "adventure" strip.

Even moreso than it was.

With equally awful art.

And a single style of bubble-letter onomatopoeia that he uses in two out of every three strips.

KRRRRMMMBBBLLLKAKAKRGAGAKK

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 18, 2017

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

God, I hate Buck.

He's clearly meant to be a sympathetic "lovable loser" character, but he's not lovable because joking self-pity is still self-pity, and he's not a loser because he had millions of comic book dollars dropped into his drat lap.

e:

Stultus Maximus posted:

The A3G artist was actively hostile towards the writer, blatantly not even trying to draw the things the writer described in the dialogue.

Frank Bolle deteriorated pretty sharply toward the end. The last few strips were just crude scratchy people in turtlenecks and sportcoats smilingly reciting unevenly-lettered dialogue with minimal backgrounding:

I still think this was funny though:

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 18, 2017

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol
Actually that seems like a bad plan to me, but maybe that's because I'm not a criminal mastermind.

It's not a terrible plan, considering that Hero Cop Pat apparently refuses to share credit for catching the rampaging murderer and is therefore the only officer looking for him. All The Mind has to do is refrain from being an unnecessarily reckless attention-drawing moron for five min—

:nallears:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Retail" is "Dilbert" transposed as exactly as possible to a mall setting, and "Dilbert" is bad.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

sweeperbravo posted:

I'll disagree, not least because Norm Feuti isn't a huge, gaping, flapping rear end in a top hat

I didn't say Feuti was Adams, I said Retail was Dilbert.

The Bloop posted:

nah

At worst Retail is like early Dilbert when it was decent, not modern insufferable Dilbert.

Bosses and clients are so dumb and bad! Why can't they just let us do our jobs?? We're hard working underdogs! The work environment strips us of basic human dignity, but we fight back in tiny ways! It may be ineffectual against the giant corporate machine, but it keeps us from going insane! at the mall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's weird to me (a former retail worker) that people read the manipulative comic strip, say to themselves "Yeah this happened to me! I remember how mad I was! In fact, I'm angry now, all over again!!" and think that means that the comic is a good thing to include in their lives.

• Locked thread