Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But then how is he supposed to die of cancer? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I've decided to fill two holes in this thread:

Weekly strip Flash Gordon. Yes, that one. I'm starting from a year ago, since it provided a convenient starting point. I'll be posting two at a time until we catch up.

Old Newspaper Spider-Man. You know it. You love its delusions of adequacy. It's been running a really loving long time, and our friends in the Newspaper Spider-Man thread have assembled an archive of strips going all the way back to 1999. They're worth the read, but 18 years of strips at once is a slightly intimidating read. I'll be posting them at a more sane week at a time, starting with Peter facing the greatest villain of all: a TV psychologist.

(I loving love that they've been recycling the same Sunday headers since at least 1999)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Is the Keefe that does the Flash Gordon strips the same Keefe who does the artwork for Sally Forth? If so, it's great seeing that clean art style used in a different genre. Sometimes you get hints in Sally Forth that the artist wants to be doing more than the fairly-static family discussions Francesco writes for him, and I think it's great seeing him go ahead and go full-on retro-serial style.
He sure is!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"You deserve to be happy, but I'm not going to tell you to get back with the guy you clearly liked a lot. That would just be silly. Maybe send a care package of sandwiches to a fat loser in Antarctica instead."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

plainswalker75 posted:

How dare they make the white male tax-payer wait with teens, women and minorities? The outrage!
Damned useless DMV workers, following the letter of the law for an idiot whose license expired a year ago! :bahgawd:

Can't wait for the plot twist where Funky fails his test, because he's an old man with old man eyesight and reflexes.

Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Gorilla Salad posted:

Of course, his case would be helped if the momma's boy character wasn't being a total jerk right now.
What are you talking about, Gunther is such a Nice Guy! :downs:

Also, looking at the strip again, why the hell is Les's dad wearing a suit and tie to a cozy homecooked dinner? At least take the jacket off or something, jeez.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man, featuring special guest Hanzo Steel

I'm pretty sure samurai don't work like that. I'm also pretty sure I don't care. :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
On the flip side, you'd be less likely to die from a grandpa who mixed up the gas pedal & brakes. :v:

Too bad old people vote, and they're the ones mandatory retesting would piss off the most.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Never trust anyone whose clothes go from blue to pink at the drop of a hat.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It helps that newspaper Spidey is, well, himself, and Rocket's just saying what we're all thinking.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Today's Ratt™ just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Pretend I posted that comic with the villain who came to newspaper spideyverse, then decided he'd never get anything done because of all the repetition.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah, I was reading the thread when that was being posted. It's just been a while, and I forgot how insane it was.

IT HAPPENED!
And how...odd. The thread just wouldn't be the same without ol' tiny-arms Tracy. :allears:

LAUGH CLOWN LAUGH!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Tiggum posted:

Is he trying to suffocate them both? Because I think there's probably too much air in that room for that to work in a timely fashion even if it is sealed airtight, which seems unlikely.
Sorry, you were using too much logic for newspaper Spiderman. Try again. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

Mother From Another Country

How is this consistently so good? :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So they've just given up on having an actual plot and just want an excuse to draw animals, right? How the hell is this going to connect to the hunters in Africa?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Foiled by the proportional air reserves of a spider!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

:spidey: You won't have to worry about the Kingpin any more!
:stare: But he's still here. You haven't done anything to stop him.
:spidey: Oh, he'll be laying low for a while now!
:stare: He's standing right here!
:spidey: Well, bye!
:stare: ...
Look, Spidey has a flight to catch. He doesn't have time for things like "actually stopping the villain", alright? :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Alternate reading of Luann where Tiff is actually deeply insecure, and tries to project a cliche alpha bitch image in an effort to fake it until she makes it.

Although pretty much all of Luann is better if you read it in any way but the way Greg intended.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Just gonna dump some edits from the Newspaper Spider-Man thread:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Holy poo poo, Phantom. :perfect:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

:females:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Eagerly awaiting the plot arc where Zak is a horrible person for moving on after his girlfriend of a week or two broke up with him.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Just give the Sentry some shrooms already. I know this is Albuquerque but you gotta have some somewhere.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (February 21, 1944)

It's kind of depressing how much better old Nancy is than new Nancy. I know that happens to most long-runners, but still.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

I think we're going to need a diagram or something, because I can't figure this out at all. If traffic's moving left-right in that image then he can't pull into the intersection because he'd be blocking it. If traffic's moving up-down then pulling forward wouldn't do anything at all, he'd still be in front of the person he's in front of now. As far as I can see, all he can do is wait for the lights to stop traffic in both directions and allow left turns. :confused:
Intersections that tight are rare in most American suburbs. Usually the roads are wider & the stop bars are further back from the cross-traffic. Intersections big enough to be light-controlled tend to have turn lanes, too. You generally have room for at least one car to pull into the intersection without blocking traffic.

Pretend that green rectangle is a car, which would just pull through during the yellow phase. Doing that is insanely common everywhere I've lived, to the point where people just expect you to do it and get surprised/pissed if you don't.

You can get away with pulling into the intersection in some city streets, too. It depends on how it's laid out and whether you're a big enough rear end in a top hat to block the crosswalk.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 6, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Women and their inability to accept you had a life before them, amirite? And what's the deal with lazy millenials?

Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man, featuring one hell of a neckbeard

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

I Can't Believe It's Not Reddit!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

You know who the real victims of sexual harassment are? The men who get falsely accused (or correctly accused but it was only one time and maybe the woman was dressed provocatively or something)!
Just for you, I'm posting the next week early. (Spoilers: It's possibly even worse)

1999 Spider-#notallmen

"Careful Peter, one accusation is enough", still hands him the address without hearing any explanation for why he wants it.

Flash Gordon

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Cosmi-rod? Is that what they're calling it now? :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

"I heard something out there. In New York City. And we're not even at the ground level. TIME FOR A GUN."

• Locked thread