Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Malls used to actually have man-nurseries. They were called "arcades."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

Say what you want about this universe, at least prisoners get to wear some kickass track suits.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Vargo posted:

So, Wallace and Gil are both in RI, as is Intelligent Life and The Tinkersons, according to that one IL strip. (And because Intelligent Life loves being a Family Guy ripoff at every turn).

Maybe this is what Lovecraft meant when he spoke of "idiot madness?"

The comix page is the 21st century Necronomicon and we are its cult. :cthulhu:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Wilbur returns to Charterstone only for Iris to find that he's been replaced by The Thing. :cthulhu:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

This Uuno seems like a chill dude; I respect anyone who reps for the Ray Smuckles lifestyle brand.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

goatface posted:

He just spent all his money on ICU fees because he never bothered to get family insurance.

Rex got so used to the last author throwing money at him 24/7 that he thought he'd never need it.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

Rex got so used to the last author throwing money at him 24/7 that he thought he'd never need it.

Ha ha! Same as it ever was...

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Baldo is Fred Basset but without even the redeeming value of a cute dog.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

The mover guy is literally just Skip with a combover and a mustache.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Piranah Club is just so skeevy. Like every comic was transcribed from a truck-stop bathroom stall.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

dordreff posted:

So the doughy dude can handle a workout at the gym, but lifting some books gives him a drat heart attack? And Rex Morgan didn't even notice his friend had the cardiovascular system of a 98 year old man at the last checkup?

Rex is like Jon Hamm's character in 30 Rock; so handsome he lives in "The Bubble". He has no meaningful skills, but people throw money and medical degrees at him because he's just so darn charming!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Can't believe the Locher era of Dick Tracy passed up the chance to show a clown get eaten by a tiger. :argh:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

It's a contrived excuse to get Rex back involved in the plot.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Gilchrist's work has taken a brilliant turn! His new comic featuring the misadventures of hideous furry goblins has placed him among the ranks of masters of the grotesque like Bosch and Giger.

I don't know why he keeps calling his creatures "dogs", though?... :ghost:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Ben Franklin is high af :420:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

How grognards are born. :smith:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Kennel posted:

I'm dropping Today's Dogg since it's not really amusingly bad as often as I hoped.

:(

I like laughing at it. It's like a comic about dogs drawn by someone who's never seen a dog and only heard a second-hand description.

Mandrake

[/quote]

Mandrake's unconscious and Derek's posing as him. Calling it!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Hank Sr.'s got good taste.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Knowing what I know about Adams' politics, I can't help but wonder whether this is supposed to be some sort of answer to his critics.

It blows my mind that the guy who has been drawing comics to make fun of pointy-haired bosses for some twenty-seven years supports one of the biggest pointy-haired bosses of them all.

Adams is a One-Issue Voter, and that issue is "a deep-seated hatred of women."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Trilobite posted:

Either Jam Esallen is more than a month ahead on his Sunday strips, or just doesn't really give a poo poo about bees. Probably both?

The rusty patched bumblebee's endangered status is still up in the air -- it got thrown onto the "Let's not enact anything the previous President signed" pile in January, and they only assigned a deadline for finally deciding what to do about it last month; it's entirely possible that on March 21st (the new deadline), they'll just let the ruling die quietly, the same way the bees will. :(

As a key pollinator of crops like apples, tomatoes, and peppers, it's estimated that the death of this species will cost US growers anywhere from $9 billion to $15 billion a year. So that's nice.

It takes a special kind of cognitive dissonance to be a climate change denier and work on a nature comic simultaneously.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I worked in a movie theater for two months as a teenage and maybe cared about the whole "no outside food" thing for maybe a week? There's no incentive for you not to let them in, it's just a pain in the rear end for both me and the customer, and none of the extra sales from popcorn or nachos is going in my pocket, so why should I give a poo poo?

What I'm saying is that "Curtis" probably has the only usher left in the universe who cares about outside food in the theater.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Hel posted:

Maybe it's heresy, but I really don't get why Calvin and Hobbes is so highly regarded. Sure it's mostly ok but there are far too many strip where it's just Calvin being an unredeemable piece of poo poo and it really kills a lot of goodwill for me. Is there anyone who likes it that didn't read it as a child? Like I could understand the Rosalyn strips being some kind of wish fulfillment for unruly kids, but as an adult it's just mean.

Confession time: When I was 8 I did this to my babysitter after reading the comic.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

There must be something about becoming a parent that sucks out any capacity for humor and fun out of you. Glad I'm not going down that road.

Between this and the "not bringing food into movie theaters is our civic duty!" guy, y'all goons have become a bunch of Pluggers.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

It's amazing how allergic some people are to criticism.
But I guess that makes things easier. I have decided that The Grizzwells is the best thing on the comics page and all naysayers are just humorless and ignorant. They probably have children, too.

Seriously, it's OK to criticize something you like. Fun, too!

Edit: Never mind

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 26, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You think that's bad? I liked a Take It From The Tinkersons a couple days ago.

Broken clocks.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

This is why I need to take a break from comics. After a while you notice that they keep issuing the same padding and same cliches with every story, and then it feels like the literary equivalent of banging your head against a wall.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

A man typing a sentence while having a stroke... or Brooke? You decide!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Beavers do smell fishy.

IIRC, it was mostly a ruling to declare that they were safe to eat on Fridays, or during Lent (since you couldn't eat meat on those days but you could eat fish)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

...and the pitch! posted:

Yeah it's good. It's just such a departure for there to be a real issue in Zits.

They just slipped an oral sex joke into frickin' Luann. I'll believe anything I see in the comics at this point.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

All it's missing is a panel of Everett in bed complaining about all the rarebit he ate the night before.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

OK Kelly, I could understand why you were pissed before, and you can continue to give a little poo poo to Niki your idiot boyfriend for being an idiot, but this girl is being as nice as nice can be and you should knock it off with her.

Look at her face in the last panel. Kelly knows she's a goddamn vampire! :drac:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is a very obvious repeat.

The skinny old guy is my new favorite character just because he's trolling the dumb nerds about their dumb nerd poo poo.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Why the hell does someone who's in college have a curfew?

I thought she was still in high school?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I'd imagine that The Flash Museum is under constant renovation to keep up with it titular hero's time travel shenanigans.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why in the world is it Magneto and not Mr. Sinister?

Marketing. Mr Sinister is an obscure villain mostly known from comics, but anyone who's seen the movies knows who Magneto is.

(This is before every C-List Marvel character was getting his own Netflix series)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I think the dad in Baldo might me nearly as lovely as Ed Kudlick. He's constantly making GBS threads on his son for being a regular teenager instead of some sort of academic ubermensch.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Interested to see where the Magneto story is going because what Spidey is asking is the mutant equivalent of a black father asking a doctor to make his kid white so he can be "normal."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's funny how you jump straight to race.

The whole "mutant" metaphor was created in X-Men in the '60s as a direct response to the Civil Rights Movement. I'm not sure why that's so controversial.

Not that I'm expecting any level of nuance because it's freakin' Newspaper SM, c'mon...

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

CommaToes posted:

I think this week is the week we finally form a mob and go to Bud Grace's door with torches and pitchforks.

*opens torch & pitchfork stand*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

today's Dustin was dumb even by Dustin standards

and it made me angry

:same:

"Blue is the rage of resolve" is probably one of the single dumbest things I've heard in my life.

• Locked thread