Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Johnny Aztec posted:

Does this actually ever happen anymore, or is it just one of those "things" that get perpetuated forever for a cheap joke?

I just shove whatever in the washer and I've never had anything bleed like that.

Bill Amend tweeted that this actually happened to him a week after he drew the strip, so the answer is, yeah, it still happens.

https://twitter.com/billamend/status/818138354420219906

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Some Guy TT posted:

Also ↓ yes it's easy to forget that once upon a time Mandrake did have an actual pop culture presence. That out-of-nowhere reference in Foucault's Pendulum still gets to me.

Mandrake was even parodied in "Robot Chicken" (along with "The Phantom" and "Flash Gordon", the joke being that all three are owned by the same company). I get the feeling that if any 20 to 30-somethings know what "Mandrake" is, it's because it was referenced in that show

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 30, 2017

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

For those wondering

The strip's creator, Jack Mendelsohn, died in January.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Here's something I found on YouTube: the first episode of "Kid Power", a mid-1970s Rankin-Bass show based on "Wee Pals".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpQD9QrlAAI

Enjoy!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Dick Locher, long-time "Dick Tracy" artist, has passed away at age 88.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

EasyEW posted:

There's also a Beetle Bailey series and a version of Krazy Kat that would make George Herriman do graveyard spins. But if you're feeling brave, go for it.

Those "Krazy Kat" cartoons were made by Gene Deitch. Some of you might remember the comic strip he did that I posted on SA years and years ago, "Terr'ble Thompson". Deitch wrote about making those "Krazy" cartoons on his autobiography. Long story short: Deitch was a fan of the comics and wanted the show to be akin to it, but the producers at King Features wouldn't let him.

They got Paul Frees to voice Ignatz and Offisa Pup on those cartoons. June Foray voiced Krazy in the pilot, but another actress took over in the subsequent episodes.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 1, 2017

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
That strip is the only canon appearance of Booker and Sheldon's mom. We never see her again after that one strip.

Only other thing to note is that, in the strip, Bo Sheep was dumb. Really, really dumb. And he didn't have the surfer accent the TV version had.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
That egg storyline in "U.S. Acres" was later adapted into the show in season 4. It was told in a flashback after the gang receives a ton of letters asking about Sheldon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZS0nbhwxg

Starts at 8:43

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
So over at Strippers' Guide, a blog dedicated to obscure newspaper strips, they posted samples of a strip from 1960 called "The Late, Late War". I didn't think much of it until I saw the byline:

Yes, this is the same Fred Fredericks who drew "Mandrake" for decades. He had several other comic strips throughout his career, but this one stuck out because it's much more cartoony than anything else he's done.

You can read more about it here

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Manuel Calavera posted:

e - oh hey, that comic auction thing. There's a Charles Brubaker in there, doesn't he post here every so often? I recognize the style.

Yo. Yeah, that's me. I don't post here much these days, although I still lurk. And yes, I have a few things for sale in that auction.

As stated, it's for a good cause, so please consider bidding if there's anything you'd like to own there.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

fondue posted:

I was hoping this specific comic was in the auction. :( Do they sell them as prints?

According to this, all Bizarro comics published after Dec. 1, 2011 are drawn digitally, and thus have no original artwork at all.

You can buy a print, tho

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Mikl posted:

Not moldy, fermented. Natto is soy that has been steamed and fermented by bacteria, making it semi-fluid and sticky. Opinions differ on whether this is delicious or disgusting.

Natto is great and anyone who hates it are wrong

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Heh. Bill Hoest also drew dirty cartoons for Playboy, so seeing him do these isn't entirely of a shock. Still a neat find, if a tad disturbing.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Endless Mike posted:

This was a good joke in Bone, which I’m sure got it from somewhere else, also.

Eh, it's a common cartoon gag. I'm certain I saw it happen in a "Looney Tunes" cartoon or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
"Magnificatz" is a good strip, and I'm glad people here have discovered it.

There are two book collections available on Amazon that I highly recommend.

• Locked thread