Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amazing edit from a prior thread. Sadly, I can't remember the poster. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can somebody explain what's the deal with the Rex Morgan strip? It just looks like a normal drawing by a small child to me. :downs:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shugojin posted:

Ed Kudlick would get run out of Ballard Street.

I don't know what it is about Ballard Street, but it's one of my favorite strips posted in this thread. Just so drat weird.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Newspaper Spiderman is so much better than any other version.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiffster posted:

Possibly the safest as well. During the spider verse story arc in the comics that had the villain hunt and eat as many versions of Spider-Man as possible to gain power, the main villain actually wandered into the newspaper comic Spider-Man's universe. He eventually gave up because of the nature of repeating everything after and it would take days or even weeks to do anything of consequence.

Amazing. :allears:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigDave posted:

"Oh, and I hate you personally. Welp, I'm off to nail my hygienist in the exam room, I'll be late for dinner!"

Man, if she acted in real life like her avatar does in the comics, I can't really blame her hubby for leaving her.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy poo poo. :eyepop:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter posted:

If anyone here doesn't understand the edit please don't ask for context. For your own sanity.

I wish I didn't. :smithicide:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shugojin posted:

Dog on car. Dog on car! :mitt: Ballard Street.

Ballard Street is loving top tier. So weird and amazing. :unsmith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shugojin posted:

I'm not sure what's happening. I saw the pose and thought it was a golf comic but instead he grabbed the potted plant by the flowers and ???? Ballard Street.

Why is this comic so amazing to me? I don't even understand what's going on half the time, yet I always laugh.

Guys, I think my sense of humor is broken. :smithcloud:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is Tiffany the villain in Luann? Because she's pretty and popular?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julet Esqu posted:

Exactly. Everybody knows that pretty and popular girls are total bitches. Her popularity is the main reason she only has one friend.

No, really. I'm not kidding.

..That's the dumbest poo poo I've seen in newspaper comics. The author must have either been an ugly chick in high school, or a nerd who the pretty, popular girls wouldn't even look at.

I mean, they didn't look at me, either, but I don't hold grudges.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

painynumbs posted:

massive heaving breasts

Mods?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I kinda like Phoebe and her Unicorn. :ohdear:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress would a child that age know what either a VCR or Charlie's Angels is?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Kingdom posted:

Calvin and Hobbes did it better:

And with much better artwork.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SomeMathGuy posted:

I remember the first time I ever read this particular C&H strip I was baffled that anyone could get that fussy about the pledge. I was, like, eight so I sort of took the thing for granted as this meaningless phrase you say at the start of the day.

Nowadays I kind of want Calvin to fight it all the way to the Supreme Court. Hideous little indoctrination ritual, really.

Jehovah's Witnesses settled that decades ago, don't worry.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nancy used to be good, apparently.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

Until Gilchrist took over, yes.

Now it's mostly saccharine patriotism, disingenuous religiosity, musical pseudo-nostalgia, and tits(but in a bad way)

How can tits be bad?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The bolding on "all about you" makes that kinda creepy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brutus owns

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress does Holbrook have three different lovely newspaper comics?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I have all seven of the Bloom County collections put out by the Library of American comics, if anybody would be interested. I could start at the beginning.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shugojin posted:

Are they really in a newspaper or does he just publish them on comics kingdom or whatever it is?

Oh.

I thought they were in newspapers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloom County

Bloom County was an amazing comic from the 80s that's not as fondly remembered as the Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes nowadays, but I think it's just as good as they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_County

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 22, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So nobody is into Bloom County?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Savidudeosoo posted:

I, for one, am very excited to see it posted again.

:buddy:

I'll try to post a week's worth a day, but I'll do a bonus post for today.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloom County

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geomancing posted:

Absolutely, I love Bloom County. The political stuff is like a window looking back at a bygone era. Actually there's a lot of RED PANIC-type stuff in there, isn't there?

Yeah, Bloom County is great. The collection I have also has the comics in it that were never reprinted in the old collections.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 22, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's cool to post those Bloom County strips, right?

Don't wanna get in trouble from the mods. :ohdearsass:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloom County, 1980-1981

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julet Esqu posted:

If there's an issue, somebody will warn you. But generally unless we've heard specifically that an artist doesn't like his stuff shared (Gary Larson), we :justpost:

That said, if this stuff is coming from a collection that interested parties could purchase and support the artist, it would be nice of you to drop a link.

Good idea! This is the collection I got, since the hardback copies are way more expensive.

https://www.comixology.com/Bloom-County-The-Complete-Library/comics-series/4176

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shortspecialbus posted:

Humble Bundle had an e-book thing a few years back that had every bloom county book, or at least a significant number of them. Outland too, if I remember. That was quite the deal.

Sadly, the Library of American Comics collection is the only one with every daily and Sunday strip in it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manuel Calavera posted:

That's a lot of comics, dang. Post the comics :randpop:, even if I don't quite have the same nostalgia.

Don't worry, I'll post them.

I'm having to force myself from not posting anymore today. :ohdearsass: There's nine books to get through.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazinsal posted:

The full collection of Bloom County that's being posted is great because some of the original individual books had a lot of editing hackjobs done to them (including the 1985 collection excising most of the Banana Junior strips, which are a wonderful look back into 1980s computing).

Be patient, though, I have all nine of the books, so even at a week at a time, it's gonna take a while.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloom County

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloom County

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

If Gunther's full name really is Gunther Berger no wonder he got bullied all the time

Gunther deserved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PurdWerfect posted:

Thank you so much for this. I'd forgotten how charming and funny early Bloom County was.

Yeah, it's art style is quite charming. :3: Also forgot it didn't start right off with political commentary.

• Locked thread