Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Welcome back, and the condensed cream of the Hall of Fame is all you get at half past two in the morning...

(Borden)

(David's Package)

(Depressing Box)

(Not a clue, and the trail's gone cold.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (Charles Schulz) has been an inescapable fact of the Western world for well over half of a century. It's also one of my few cherished childhood memories that isn't an abject embarrassment when I pay it a revisit (which is at least once a day). So that's my excuse. (January 4, 1970)

Up until relatively recently, Funky Winkerbean (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk) was advertised as "a reality-based comic strip that depicts contemporary issues affecting young adults in a thought-provoking and sensitive manner". I will never get tired of reminding people of this, and when you see what the first shot of 2017 is, you'll understand why.

Also, to reiterate what I said when I started posting this strip last year: gently caress you, here's Crankshaft (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk/Chuck "You Could've Escaped By Now If You Really Wanted To" Ayers). It's the story of an rear end in a top hat school bus driver and the friends and family that grudgingly tolerate him.

This strip inhabits the Funkyverse, but its timeline is ten years behind Funky Winkerbean, and yet both are set in the present day. They also cross over a lot recently. It's really only confusing if you don't stack the two strips on top of each other, which is exactly why I started stacking the two strips on top of each other. Suffering builds community!

Out Our Way is a single panel strip about cowboys, machine shop workers, turn-of-the-century small town nostalgia, sibling rivalry, high-strung mothers,, and BOYZENDORGS. Out Our Way With The Willets (J.R. Williams, genuine cowboy) is the Sunday page spinoff, which is basically "Why Mothers Get Gray: The Series". Roy Crane's Wash Tubbs just hitched a ride on the top deck of my usual sources, so you get that as a bonus because newspapers were generous with their Sunday sections back in the day. (January 29 and February 5, 1928)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Selachian posted:

And Edge of Adventure, which really wants to be a throwback to the great adventure strips of yesteryear, but is undermined by muddled storytelling that manages to kill any hint of drama, crappy (and often traced) art, and above all a glacial weekly pace. For instance, our hero has just arrived in Vancouver's Chinatown, been shot at, and heard that he's supposed to be delivering a golden dragon that will somehow give China the advantage in their war with Japan -- but Allen and Vorderbrug take a week to draw various Chinese cliches so we know we're really in Chinatown. Don't you just feel the sense of place?

Let's not underplay the "muddled storytelling" angle. It took something like six months of one-a-week posts to actually get to the beginning of the story. Two of those months were just about getting the protagonist to wake up.

Anyway, on to the good stuff (according to Jerry Robinson): "Nothing like Skippy [(Percy Crosby)] had ever been seen before in the comic strips. It was not just Skippy’s expert draftsmanship or remarkable flair, although that artistry earned its creator a reputation as ‘the cartoonist’s cartoonist’… The brilliance of Skippy was that here was fantasy with a realistic base, the first kid cartoon with a definable and complex personality grounded in daily life." Which is why what happened later on will make you want to eat Peter Pan or Jif for the rest of your life. (October 14-16, 1929)

Peanuts (January 5, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire is a send-up of the type of two-fisted adventure strip that only diehards like us seem to read anymore, at least in the US market. It's about a square-jawed man of action and the redhead that he married to troll the GoComics comments section.

Out Our Way (March 10-11, 1930)

This is a good place to mention that we present the past warts and all. This will probably be your only warning.

Thimble Theater is the legendary adventures of Castor Oyl, a restless little shrimp who lives in a seaport town, and some guy named Popeye, a sailor who is destined for great things once his jawline fully inflates. (July 22, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Can someone explain to me what the gently caress 9 Chickweed Lane is about?

Probably not. Like everything involving Brooke McEldowney, 9CL defies explanation.

Anyway, because it's still Monday somewhere, here's the night schedule.

Bloom County: The biggest content bomb of 2015 was when Berke Breathed suddenly and with only one day's warning decided to bring back the quintessential 80s comic strip as a Facebook exclusive. He dropped strong hints at the time that it had something to do with the Trump candidacy, which means we'll be slogging through the next four years together. Posted whenever BB feels up to it.

Peanuts: Year Six is a secondary post from earlier in the Schulz timeline designed to satisfy those who believe the older Charlie Brown strips were better and less forehead-smacking ridiculous, and not (I REPEAT, NOT) as a dirty trick to indoctrinate the forum into my way of thinking. And you didn't read any of this. (October 6-9, 1955)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Skippy (October 17-19, 1929)

Peanuts (January 6, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 12-13, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 23, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (October 21-23, 1929)

Peanuts (January 7, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 14-15, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 24, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts: Year Six (October 10-12, 1955)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (October 24-26, 1929)

Peanuts (January 8-9, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

'

What's less plausible in this scene? An anal-retentive film fan, or three kids going to see a 75 year-old black-and-white movie?

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Previously, on Out Our Way...

(March 17-18, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 25-26, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 10, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 19-20, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 28, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

So was it meant to be funny, you posting this comment right before a string of "head beagle" comics?

Let's just say I'm not that smart and I'm not that dumb.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 11, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets (and Wash Tubbs Gets A Monkey!) (February 12 and 19, 1928)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

bean_shadow posted:

Aren't they related? Or am I thinking of the couple from Funky Winkerbean?

Yeah, you're thinking of Funky Cancerbean. These two went out on a date that turned into a business partnership...with benefits. :pervert:

Skippy (October 28-30, 1929)

Peanuts (January 12, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft gives us some of the backstory, since it's been several months since these two have shown up.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 21-22, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 29, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

SomeMathGuy posted:

The extension at least allows you to automatically upload a cropped area but, yeah, the only other way seems to be digging through the source code for the assetts.amuniversal.com link. Gross.

Load the source, search the page for "assets", the first link is golden. That's more steps than any sane person should want to take for Luann, but there you are.

I kind of hesitate to say all of that, just in case we're being watched. :tinfoil:

Bloom County

Peanuts: Year Six (October 13-16, 1955)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Skippy (October 31-November 2, 1929)

Peanuts (January 13, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 24-25, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 30, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Peanuts (January 14-15, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Quoting Ed to your boss should be a firable offense.

I beat the Thursday Rip Haywire out of bed, so you only get the one at the moment.

Out Our Way (March 26-27, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 31-August 1, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Thursday's Rip Haywire

Peanuts: Year Six (October 17-19, 1955)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Peanuts (January 16-17, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 28-29, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 2 and 4, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 18, 1970)

Funky They'reJustFuckingWithUsNowbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets (And Wash Tubbs's Monkey) (February 26 and March 4, 1928; click for big)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Skippy (November 4-6, 1929)

Peanuts (January 19, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 31-April 1, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts: Year Six (October 20-23, 1955)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Peanuts (January 20-21, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Hacks Pissing On People With Actual Talent Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 2-3, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 6-7, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Another last-minute panic post. I blame the beginning of the Age of Clowns.

Peanuts (January 22-24, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

It didn't dawn on me until now that this is supposed to be Cory Winkerbean and his fiancee, who hasn't really done much since the end of 2015, when he sold his mom's Starbuck Jones collection for an engagement ring. Another "major development" that kind of sputtered out.

TomBat Hates Art History AND Children...and Also Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 8-9 and 11, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County on inauguration weekend.

Peanuts (January 25, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean celebrates a jumble of dead trees.

What The Hell Did Monet Ever Do To Deserve Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Tubbs On Sunday (March 11 and 18, 1928)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Anyone happen to have an archive of the Minimum Security edits from...gently caress, a decade ago?

Waffleimages was the greatest tragedy of our times.

I have a Duck and Coconut folder over here, if that's what you mean. Just not online yet.

Bloom County

Skippy (November 7-9, 1929)

Peanuts (January 26, 1970)

Funky WinkerOhGodIsItGoingToBeAnotherFlashbackWeek

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 4-5, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 12, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

bean_shadow posted:

Not only that but Crankshaft is making a guest appearance.

The most amusing part of these Crankshaft crossovers is how the FW characters very pointedly never refer to him by name even though everybody in the main cast has had extensive interactions with him. But they either can't say the name or don't remember it. Y'know, the way self-involved assholes do.

Or maybe they're afraid of a Bloody Mary situation, and saying "Ed Crankshaft" out loud is all it'll take for him to rise out of his retirement home bed to give them cancer. Or at least an ulcer.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County, featuring the most eloquent Heinz 57 mutt of them all.

Skippy (November 11-13, 1929; sorry, no blown-up ones tonight.)

Peanuts (January 27, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 7-8, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 13, 1930)

Peanuts: Year Six (October 24-26, 1955)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Imgur decided to be difficult tonight, so this is everything you get from me today.

Skippy (November 14-16, 1929)

Peanuts (January 28, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 14, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Skippy (November 18-20, 1929)

Peanuts (January 29, 1970)

Funky Misplaced-apostrophebean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 9-10, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 15, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts: Year Six (October 27-30, 1955)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Skippy (November 21-23, 1929)

Peanuts (January 30, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 11-12, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 16, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts: Year Six: In honor of not sticking to a regular schedule recently, here's a whole week instead of half of one. (October 31-November 6, 1955)

And no, I'm not sure what's the deal with the tacked-on panel, either.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Six Skippys to get us caught up for Monday. (November 25-30, 1929)

Bloom County

Peanuts (January 31, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 18, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

All those Earthling cookbooks and To Serve Man is nowhere to be seen.

Peanuts (February 1, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets / Wash Tubbs On Sunday (March 25 and April 1, 1928)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (December 2, 1929)

Peanuts (February 2, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 14-15, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 19, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts: Year Six (November 7-9, 1955)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (December 3-4, 1929)

Peanuts (February 3-4, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 16-17, 1930)

Thimble Theater (August 20-21, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (December 5-7, 1929)

Peanuts (February 5-7, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Interrupting the strip dump to point out that we may have reached peak Funky (the character) here, because the punchline is literally "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat."

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 22-23 and 25, 1930)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Peanuts (February 8, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Um...what? WHAT?

I need a Red and Rover, stat.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

It looks like we are in rerun territory for some reason. It's an odd place to jump into this story, but at least it's not one of the WWII ones.

And yet another chance to underline how utterly nonsensical this plot was, because the story to this point was about a woman in labor and the hallucinations struck a nun who was just standing off to one side.

Meanwhile, this is new, not having to wait all night for the GoComics updates.

Skippy (December 9-10, 1929)

Peanuts (February 9-10, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Following up on last week's surprise showing, the Tuesday punchline is about begging for the sweet release of death. A sideways strip, to remind you that they really do stack poo poo that high.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 26-27, 1930)

And now, a double dip of Out Our Way. (April 18-19 and 21-22, 1930)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Peanuts: Year Six

• Locked thread