Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What changes will the new ownership bring to the UFC?
This poll is closed.
Business as usual 12 7.55%
A few changes 45 28.30%
This is kind of crazy 55 34.59%
This is batfuck insane 47 29.56%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

chaleski posted:

Also I'm sure there's more to it but the only training I ever saw from Ronda was her hitting mitts, shadowboxing, or occasionally beating the poo poo out of the other Horsewomen

Most camps in just about every fight sport don't show sparring sessions to media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
It takes 2 to tango. If ronda can't see that Edmund is a terrible trainer that's on her for being an idiot.

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 2, 2017

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Reminder that Cody Garbrandt dropped Dominick Cruz and then immediately pointed and laughed at him, and later did a burpee mid fight.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Can we please keep this focused on the true theme of this thread the "unmaking" of Ronda by Randall "Flag" Tavedyan

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Reminder that Cody Garbrandt dropped Dominick Cruz and then immediately pointed and laughed at him, and later did a burpee mid fight.

I don't think he was laughing I think he was trying to tell Big John that Dom was out

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Kind of sucks that in 2 years mma is going to be 3 fights between guys in headgear brought to you by toyota over the course of 2 hours and there wont be anyone around to make music videos celebrating when fighters from different promotions lose a fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think he was laughing I think he was trying to tell Big John that Dom was out

nope

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it was clearly a taunt

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://streamable.com/cnfq2 *tugs own collar and tom & jerry gulping and yelping sound effects*

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

handsome only face posted:

https://streamable.com/cnfq2 *tugs own collar and tom & jerry gulping and yelping sound effects*

She's probably right, but also lmao

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

handsome only face posted:

haha

mewse
May 2, 2006

Actually I think the real reason I will never forgive Ronda is that she turned sweet Nick Diaz into a stinking boozehound

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
e: wrong thread

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah i definitelt wouldnt be surprised if edmund was like heres what we need to do and shs said "i want to stand with her" and wouldnt take "thats dumb" for an answer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Why is it spelled Rhonda sometimes anyway?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don't think it really matters whether Ronda wanted to stand with her or not because she never had a chance to do anything else. She got hit with literally every punch Nunes threw because she didn't attempt to move her head or parry or shell up or anything. Unless she's just incapable of translating anything at all that she trains into a fight that's a coaching problem.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

EmmyOk posted:

He was taunting him, he literally stopped and danced after dropping him at one point.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BlindSite posted:

Yeah i definitelt wouldnt be surprised if edmund was like heres what we need to do and shs said "i want to stand with her" and wouldnt take "thats dumb" for an answer.

I'd probably buy that better if it wasn't for the fact that it seems like no one from that gym can cobble together any sort of winning formula.

kimbo305 posted:

Why is it spelled Rhonda sometimes anyway?

idiots can't spell

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Memento posted:

idiots can't spell

My phone autocorrects it to Rhonda sometimes. No idea why.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
People give Edmund too much blame for Rondas losses, i understand why since hes a lovely dumbass as a person and a pretty bad coach, but still theres only so much you can do. like Holly Holm had been training grappling with Jackson-Winklejohn at least as long as Rondas been fighting and she still easily got taken down and choked out by Tate, its not like they dont teach grappling there, she just isnt very good at grappling. I think Ronda was always gonna be a lovely striker. Apparently her knees are totally shot, and she was never a wrestler so she isnt really going to learn to kick or threaten the level change. Her reflexes/striking instincts seem to be pretty bad too, how many times has she just stood there with her head on a stick and eaten like a 3 punch combo without even reacting. She fights like someone who cant get in a comfortable rhythm striking, but fixing that wouldve probably meant her getting tuned up for hundreds of rounds by good strikers, which she probably wasnt willing to do for ego or health or whatever reasons, and might not have made a difference anyway. You can see so much footage of Edmund trying to teach her to tuck her chin, rotate her punches and move her head but during the actual fight she doesnt do it

They played to her strengths with her chin, power, confidence etc and it worked for a while. The notion that she shouldve gone to Jackson's and learned how to dance around on the outside and oblique kick is pretty funny and may have resulted in her losing to like Bethe coreia by decision instead of walking over her. It wouldve been cool to see her at Kings considering she seems to have a knack for landing good knees in the clinch but oh well

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I don't doubt that Edmond at least mentioned that she should tuck her chin, but Ronda isn't so retarded that she'd be incapable of learning. An Olympic medal in judo means that someone was capable of teaching her something. It might be as simple as a chronic mismatch between the way Ronda learns and the way Edmond teaches. Edmund doesn't strike me as the type of educator that knows more than one strategy to convey a concept.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

I don't doubt that Edmond at least mentioned that she should tuck her chin, but Ronda isn't so retarded that she'd be incapable of learning. An Olympic medal in judo means that someone was capable of teaching her something. It might be as simple as a chronic mismatch between the way Ronda learns and the way Edmond teaches. Edmund doesn't strike me as the type of educator that knows more than one strategy to convey a concept.

Maybe Edmond should have been attacking Ronda in her sleep to get anything to sink in.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Rhonda is the more common spelling.

Its probably a mix of the above. Stubborness, dumb game planning and lovely coaching.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Maybe Edmond should have been attacking Ronda in her sleep to get anything to sink in.

We all know who will be attacking Ronda in a domestic situation

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

Memento posted:

idiots can't spell

That's not a nice thing to say about AnnMaria De Mars

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Wish he did Gangnam style

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Isn't it spelled the way it is because her dad's name was Ron?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Rogan UFC fight recap is up. Aside from Brendan Schaub being unbearable stupid it's pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5rwIv41ACM

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
my favorite thing was Joey Diaz mentioning the Edmund flute titanic video.

anyways manyak's probably 100% right that Ronda was never ever ever gonna be a good striker for a multitude of reasons and the coaching is only part of the problem. A better coach maybe could have done a better job of embedding some instincts in her so she wouldn't look quite so bad in round 1, but her getting tooled up was inevitable. In fact I kinda feel like we all thought that very thing years ago when she was coming around, but then W135 division was so trash she got away with it and it worked too so nobody cared she never really developed good boxing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JaySB posted:

Rogan UFC fight recap is up. Aside from Brendan Schaub being unbearable stupid it's pretty good.

Got a timestamp? I don't feel like doing 3 hours.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

JaySB posted:

Did he explain WTF he was doing in the first fight that ended in NC? I assume he was all "hey, Marc Ratner said this, so I assumed he had to be right".

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Chichevache posted:

Got a timestamp? I don't feel like doing 3 hours.

The Ronda stuff starts pretty much immediately, like 2 mins in

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Troxartas posted:

Thanks

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Still listening to this, jesus Schaub is insufferable. Everything he says is something dumb, Joe calls him out for it then he back-tracks to agree with him

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Troxartas posted:

Schaub is insufferable

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Troxartas posted:

It's ten minutes and no recap, you fucker.

Edit
Nevermind. Wrong episode. :downsgun:

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

BlindSite posted:

The thing with being a good MMA coach is less about trying to turn someone like Demien Maia into Anderson Silva and more about building off the techniques that already work for a fighter so they'll be more effective and removing what makes them ineffective.

It's rare to find a guy like TJ Dillashaw that is able to go from being a wrestleboxer and an average one at that to a master of movement and timing with a rounded repertoire of kickboxing in 18 months. Ronda didn't/doesn't need to become the best boxer in WMMA and she never will be, but there was a huge need for a coach to teach her how to be light on her feet, give ground while throwing defensive kicks and jabs and moving her head off centre line and rolling her shoulder. She needed to learn how to make someone miss and chase. After almost getting finished in the first round Zingano got on her bike and made Nunes miss and she got tired.

Edmunds approach to coaching is fundamentally flawed for MMA. Your goal coaching a fighter with an established, effective base like Ronda's shouldn't be to turn her into a boxer, it should be to train her how to avoid punishment at all costs and time entries into takedowns and clinching like Demian Maia's coaches have done. He had a period at MW where he tried to be a boxer and got lit up, he started training clinch takedowns and single/double legs a whole lot more and worked on his footwork and timing to get guys to the ground and is a contender because of it.
I've tried a few times to write this exact sentiment and thank you for doing it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iWilRlq6Sg

Lookin' for a fight is back

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dana White is actually 12, that explains a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004