Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

drat, this should have been the thread title.

Videogames!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Anyone know when Shadow Warrior 2 comes out? The only thing a google search gives me is a nebulous Q1 of this year.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Videogames!!!!

And what icon should it be changed to??

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

a sony one probably

Marogareh posted:

Anyone know when Shadow Warrior 2 comes out? The only thing a google search gives me is a nebulous Q1 of this year.

no confirmed date but they put up an amazon listing so you can have them email you when they get one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

VideoGames posted:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

VideoGames posted:

I think it's got a good one already

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i can't decide on whether or not i want to buy anything on this last week of sale. i've heard good things about titanfall 2 but my friends i usually play cod with arent into it, and i am one of the weirdos who loves re6 but i am not sure i will be able to get friends to co-op with me.

at some point i transitioned to only playing games co-op and i don't know when that happened

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

i love Videogames!!!!

still true

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Real hurthling! posted:

Videogames!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsbj0OoeNo

RIP Hunter Watson

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe this year a goon will enjoy a PS+ game!!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mayor McCheese posted:

im fittin to enjoy the hell out of some maniac mansion, but i doubt any of the "WHERE ARE OUR AAA GAMES" goons will ever be happy in this life

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Mayor McCheese posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with Color Guardians for the past couple of weeks.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
The loading times are a drag, but I really like Stories so far, after a couple playthroughs. I wish it were easier to keep track of the choices you've made, but I suppose I could have kept a log/graph or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

Your brain is truly broken if you didn't enjoy Tricky Towers and Yakuza 5, aka the reasons I justify paying for PS+

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
oops, almost forgot to purchase on the web store all the lovely trash I'll never actually download we got for December 2016. Fortunately I still had time before they switch to the lovely trash I'll never actually download we get for January 2017.

Although Day of the Tentacle is kinda cool for the three people left who didn't get it from a Humble Bundle ages ago.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it makes a lot of sense that you would do these things for games you dont like

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

This month's PS+ is pretty great IMO. DOTT is great and I've been wanting to play This War Of Mine for ages. The Swindle is a fun little piece by one of my favourite devs, and Titan Souls is a good game with a great soundtrack.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mayor McCheese posted:

I will enjoy the PS+ games that I had already bought and didn't put full time into

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Mayor McCheese posted:

So far I've had decent fun with Oreshika, TF Devastation, Furi, and Stories. There's a few I haven't been able to try out yet, just due to time constraints.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've been pretty much a slave to the Store in this, our digital future, but are there many or any games for PS4 that have only had a physical release that I've missed out on?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fix posted:

I've been pretty much a slave to the Store in this, our digital future, but are there many or any games for PS4 that have only had a physical release that I've missed out on?

Nope, one of Sony's big points is that all PS4 games are available digitally, they make it mandatory for this generation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Your brain is truly broken if you didn't enjoy Tricky Towers and Yakuza 5, aka the reasons I justify paying for PS+

Getting Yakuza 4 and 5 for free is what got me into the series. I love these games now.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Crappy Jack posted:

Nope, one of Sony's big points is that all PS4 games are available digitally, they make it mandatory for this generation.

Sony got my back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can make the argument that the PS+ titles we get each month are fine, whatever, people are going to be divided on that point forever. However, we have gotten less and less benefits with PS+ in comparison to when the service first went live while having to pay more and we have seen zero performance increase to PSN in the 3 years that a subscription has been required to play online.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I said come in! posted:

You can make the argument that the PS+ titles we get each month are fine, whatever, people are going to be divided on that point forever. However, we have gotten less and less benefits with PS+ in comparison to when the service first went live while having to pay more and we have seen zero performance increase to PSN in the 3 years that a subscription has been required to play online.

First went live? That's crazy. The selection was loving terrible then. It took a year for it to become good.

I think this is a crazy argument to get into when the xbox service isn't any better.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

I said come in! posted:

How do you measure performance increase?

To me it's just paying for the right to play multiplayer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

I think this is a crazy argument to get into when the xbox service isn't any better.

This doesn't in anyway shape or form excuse any of the bullshit with PSN.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

what bullshit. was it the hack. the psn hack. i hate the hack with my LIFE

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

First went live? That's crazy. The selection was loving terrible then. It took a year for it to become good.

Xbox download speeds aren't liquid arse, it recently got LFG tools added to the system, and Xbox 360 games given with Games With Gold are all Xbox One compatible AND have an infinite license whether your gold subscription is current or not. 2 out of 4 of those points were added fairly recently.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Akuma posted:

Xbox download speeds aren't liquid arse, it recently got LFG tools added to the system, and Xbox 360 games given with Games With Gold are all Xbox One compatible AND have an infinite license whether your gold subscription is current or not. 2 out of 4 of those points were added fairly recently.

Exactly, meanwhile PSN has stayed stagnant with no new features or benefits added in I can't even remember how long? The last major change was forcing a subscription to play games online and increasing the yearly cost.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
did PS+ have cloud saves and automatic updates when it came out? cause those are handy. I imagine the store discounts probably didn't use to be as good either, and didn't people use to complain about how PSN was always down in the PS3 days? it seems a lot more stable these days, at least by that anecdotal metric.

e: and isn't the fact that the Xbox 360 games are an infinite license due to the fact that they have nothing in their system that lets them revoke licenses? so it's more of a shortcoming on their part than an actual feature?

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 2, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think the best thing it could do is roll some PS Now features into it. The year PS Now is a seperate 100 deal, but could like put something like "free rental for X game while you have PS+ if you 'download' it during the month". Probably be better then the PS3 freebies that have reach the bottom of the barrel in terms of stuff they are selecting now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the psn not going down for a few hours every week is actually a kind of nice improvement from the ps3 days. they've added a bunch of poo poo this generation but its ~useless~ stuff like communities and parties. parties are actually really good imo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rirse posted:

Think the best thing it could do is roll some PS Now features into it. The year PS Now is a seperate 100 deal, but could like put something like "free rental for X game while you have PS+ if you 'download' it during the month". Probably be better then the PS3 freebies that have reach the bottom of the barrel in terms of stuff they are selecting now.

This is what I was thinking, especially now that there are hardly any good PS3 games to give away (they have already been given away, I guess sony could offer them again?) and no one bought a Vita so those freebies are all worthless anyways.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fix posted:

On PS4 the only games unavailable digitally are games which require new accessories (I think the very first Skylanders release, as well as Guitar Hero Live), and Puyo Puyo Tetris from Japan I think due to some legal fuckery with Ubisoft and the Tetris license, but that may be expiring soon because an English trophy list and game icon got uploaded a few days ago.

There will probably eventually be games which get delisted digitally for licensing reasons, but so far so good. Only gotcha now is that some digital games are way too pricey when promos can get you physical versions way cheaper.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

There are many untruths here

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

There are many untruths here
Like what? Download speeds is the only potentially subjective thing I said, there. The rest are facts!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

As someone who got into PS+ way before most the early offerings were extremely lacking with a few exceptions; it was all Playstation minis and mostly-forgotten PS1 Classics. Their first offering which was substantial was Double Dragon Neon, due to being free at release which was unprecedented, and retail games followed after that.

PSN's backend has gotten better but mostly in more subtle ways like adding in 2FA and increased while still-not-100% stability. How well PSN and XBL works seems highly variable based on your ISP and location, with most people in North America with Fibre-tier internet connections with triple-digit or gigabit speeds getting faster downloads from XBL than PSN.

For pulling-out-my-rear end anecdotal numbers, I get about 50-70 megabit download speeds on PSN quite consistently now (not 100% of the time but pretty close) while XBL gets me 140-240 megabits per second the last time I paid attention. This is on a gigabit connection where Steam gets me 400 megabits down rock solidly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would be really awesome if they did the same stuff Microsoft is doing with their backwards compatibility stuff. There are still some PS3 games I own that would be cool to play on PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

It would be really awesome if they did the same stuff Microsoft is doing with their backwards compatibility stuff. There are still some PS3 games I own that would be cool to play on PS4
Yeah but that would cut into PS Now moneys :/