Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
they also gave out MLB The Show 19 last fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

morallyobjected posted:

did they do some thing last year where 2k19 was playable for a month or something? because I would swear 100% that I downloaded it, played it for five minutes, then deleted it

Yeah same

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They gave out 2k17 as a plus game towards the end of the basketball season or maybe after it ended.

This year the basketball season hasn't ended and might never end.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
2k19 was free too at some point. I have it in my library but I've never installed it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

2k19 was free too at some point. I have it in my library but I've never installed it

Maybe I'm thinking of 19, I guessed 17 because I thought it happened soon after I got my PS4 but I could be wrong about that.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
17 was free too, I have both

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I guess I should install 2k17 and 2k19 so I can understand the plot in 2k20 then.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the 2k games are all poorly controlling trash and riddled with microtransactions and should be purged

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I remember when NFL 2k was the gold standard of sports, then EA murdered them.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I remember when NFL 2k was the gold standard of sports, then EA murdered them.

NFL 2K5 is one of my favorite sports games of all time and I don't even watch football

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Veib posted:

NFL 2K5 is one of my favorite sports games of all time and I don't even watch football

I think there's still people assembling updated rosters for whatever the last NFL 2k version was available. I think it was on ps2, so hella easy to emulate.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

BGrifter posted:

I guess I should install 2k17 and 2k19 so I can understand the plot in 2k20 then.

You have to start with 2k16 when Spike Lee established the characters

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Veib posted:

I played the hell out of Madden 2003 back in the days and it wasn't available in Spain and yes, I don't even watch eggball.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It was my turn to be the guy who bought Rise on sale a month before it was free. To be fair it was like less than $15 at the time and I had a good time with it so :shrug:

It felt a little like Arkham Asylum -> City where they made it bigger and open-worldier but I'm not sure that they really should have. Nice snow effects, though!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Okay I liked the bigness of City compared to Asylum so sign me the gently caress up :getin:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I liked the survival mode in Rise and was disappointed that they took it out for the sequel

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Wolfsheim posted:

It was my turn to be the guy who bought Rise on sale a month before it was free. To be fair it was like less than $15 at the time and I had a good time with it so :shrug:

It felt a little like Arkham Asylum -> City where they made it bigger and open-worldier but I'm not sure that they really should have. Nice snow effects, though!

They were two almost entirely different genres. Asylum was a metroidvania, City was an open world action game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tomb raider is still the same its just stuffed with collection sidequests

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
And more puzzle tombs, which was always the best part of the 2013 remake anyway.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Just bought a PS4. Signed up for PS Now and not Plus quite yet cus I’m not the biggest online gamer. But I just played an online game of Rocket League on PS Now with other players. Is that just that game or what’s the deal?

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 29, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

WerthersWay posted:

Just bought a PS4. Signed up for PS Now and not Plus quite yet cus I’m not the biggest online gamer. But I just played an online game of Rocket League on PS Now with other players. Is that just that game or what’s the deal?
Psnow lets you play online if you’re playing a psnow title (downloaded or streamed). It’s pretty good.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
If you have psnow, there's some neat features that are available with plus, like the ability to access your saves if you cancel psnow or a game is removed from the service

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Wolfsheim posted:

Playing through Arkham Knight right now and feeling this bigtime. The design limitations of Arkham Asylum lead to a much more focused and satisfying experience.

Oh and gently caress the Batmobile forever. Easily one of the worst design choices I’ve seen in years.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Driving around was ok i guess but the tank stuff was really overused

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arms_Akimbo posted:

They were two almost entirely different genres. Asylum was a metroidvania, City was an open world action game.

Ehhhhh they still had metroid 'puzzles' in both and the same action/stealth combat but the open-world just dilutes it a lot. It's a weird marriage of design elements.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Happy with both those titles as I have Rise sitting on a non-hooked up PC. And more NBA is always welcome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Happy with both those titles as I have Rise sitting on a non-hooked up PC. And more NBA is always welcome.

You can finish the season.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shu yoshida apparently runs next gen's ps indie initiative that will be forgotten after launch like usual.
He announced like 10 crossgen exclusives indie games today that i never heard of, but shu has pretty good taste in games so maybe they are cool if he picked any of them idk?

List of announcements at bottom of this article:
https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-ps4-playstation-indies-initiative

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ah good, they have secured next gens hottest title, worms rumble

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Shu yoshida apparently runs next gen's ps indie initiative that will be forgotten after launch like usual.
He announced like 10 crossgen exclusives indie games today that i never heard of, but shu has pretty good taste in games so maybe they are cool if he picked any of them idk?

Shu has been in charge of indie games since last November when they hired Hulst to replace him

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Would everybody who said you would like a Worms shooter with no terrain destruction please raise your hands and then report to the disintegration chamber? Who the gently caress wants a Worm game without terrain destruction.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Worms was fun on windows 95 but i cant believe its been popular enough for so many sequels. What if like snake or gorillas or had 25 years of constant shovelware

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Worms concept has been around almost since the inception of gaming, the earliest I played was Scorched Earth but I would be surprised if that wasn't the first

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Sakurazuka posted:

The Worms concept has been around almost since the inception of gaming, the earliest I played was Scorched Earth but I would be surprised if that wasn't the first

The earliest one I ever played was Artillery Duel for the Commodore VIC-20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls_bxVMXXMo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Now I think about it I'm pretty sure I remember copying something from a magazine in BASIC on my Amstrad CPC that was the same premise lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Worms was fun on windows 95 but i cant believe its been popular enough for so many sequels. What if like snake or gorillas or had 25 years of constant shovelware

Gorillas had terrain destruction.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah i used to just drill thru to hit the guy if my typing class (lol) opponent was bad at arcing it

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Skwirl posted:

Gorillas had terrain destruction.

Which is insane because it was written in qbasic and ran on a JIT compiler on a 386

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
If you are thinking of downloading NBA 2k20, be aware it's 83 gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always enjoyed scorched 3d the most out of all of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0yn2ryg-Ms