Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PS Now has added three games this month: Hello Neighbor, Watch Dogs 2 (until October 5th), and just in time for EVO, Street Fighter V.

Here are the games that have known dates when they'll be removed from PS Now, other games are likely in it for the long haul if not even permanently.

LEGO Worlds - August 4th
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - August 31st
Control - August 31st
Watch Dogs 2 - October 5th
Rainbow Six: Siege - November 2nd
Metro Exodus - November 30th

Sony has stated there will be one indie game in the selection of titles added each month going forward.

I decided to give the cloud version of Street Fighter V a whirl since that game works in a unique way as far as its paid content is concerned.

- Game has the latest "on the PS4's UI" version installed, but it doesn't have the smaller in-game update that auto-installs when you first boot. Interestingly, once installed it seems to persist so you don't have to install it every time.
- The free DLC that added the single player storyline isn't present on the cloud version. I know, a tragic loss.
- Because of how fight money and character/stage/costume ownership works, the cloud version actually fully reflects whatever you own. I'm presuming if you own nothing you will only have the base 16 characters.

This is my last week with PS Now for the foreseeable future, I might resub when the PS5 is out if they do interesting stuff with it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

univbee posted:

and just in time for EVO,

I have some news for you

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Hector Delgado posted:

If you are thinking of downloading NBA 2k20, be aware it's 83 gigs.

It amazes me that these NBA games are close to 100gigs when games like Warframe are under 40.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its the uncompressed audio

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THE DRIP

This list contains all PS4 titles with confirmed (as of this writing) release date. Due to the unpredictable nature of COVID-19, release dates are more subject to change than usual.

Tuesday July 14th: Rocket Arena ($30US, cross play with all platforms)
Tuesday July 14th: Kingdom Majestic (available on disc)
Wednesday July 15th: Snowrunner Phase 1 DLC (included with Season Pass)
Thursday July 16th: Neversong
Thursday July 16th: Superhot: Mind Control Delete (paid DLC for the non-VR version of Superhot, but free for current non-VR Superhot owners)
Friday July 17th (Delayed from June 26th): Ghost of Tsushima (PlayStation Exclusive) (available on disc) (PS4 version guaranteed to work on PS5)
Friday July 17th: Ghostbusters The Videogame Remastered (disc version - available digitally now)
Tuesday July 21st: Rock of Ages 3: Make & Break (available on disc)
Wednesday July 22nd: Dreams (PSVR update)
Tuesday July 28th: Destroy All Humans! (available on disc)
Tuesday July 28th: Ary and the Secret of Seasons (available on disc)
Tuesday July 28th (Delayed from July 7th): SkaterXL (available on disc)
Friday July 31st (delayed from June 26th): Fairy Tail (available on disc)
Tuesday August 4th: Skully (available on disc)
Friday August 14th: Deliver Us The Moon (disc version - available digitally now)
Thursday August 20th: Remnant: From The Ashes - Subject 2923 (DLC for Remnant: From The Ashes)

(Every game below is for PS4, however any of the base games listed should work on PS5.)

Friday August 21st: PGA Tour 2K21
Tuesday August 25th: No Straight Roads
Tuesday August 25th: Madden 21 (more expensive editions than the Standard edition) (purchasers of the PS4 version on disc or digitally can claim the native PS5 version for free as long as it’s claimed before Madden NFL 22 is released. Note that PS4 disc version upgrades will require the disc in the PS5's drive, so the PS5 with the disc drive will be required for non-digital version upgrades.) (available on disc)
Friday August 28th: Madden 21 (purchasers of the PS4 version on disc or digitally can claim the native PS5 version for free as long as it’s claimed before Madden NFL 22 is released. Note that PS4 disc version upgrades will require the disc in the PS5's drive, so the PS5 with the disc drive will be required for non-digital version upgrades.) (available on disc)
Friday August 28th: Mafia: Definitive Edition (available standalone or in a bundle including Mafia II and III, which are available now)
Friday August 28th (delayed from May 19th): Wasteland 3 (available on disc)
Friday August 28th: Windbound
Friday September 4th: NBA 2K21 (note: The $100US “Mamba Forever” edition, both physical and digital editions, will include the PS5 version for free. The Standard version will not, and is anticipated to have an SRP of $60US on PS4 and $70US on PS5)
Friday September 4th: Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 Remastered
Friday September 4th (Delayed from May 15th): Marvel's Avengers (will have a PS5 version that PS4 disc or digital owners will receive for free when it’s available, as well as PS4-PS5 cross-play)
Tuesday September 8th (Delayed from August 18th): Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (Remastered version of KoA: Reckoning) (available on disc)
Tuesday September 8th: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Tuesday September 15th: Pro Evolution Soccer 2021 (note: this is a $30US seasonal update only with no new features, and will only be coded for PS4, but will run on PS5. A true next-gen version on the Unreal Engine will release next year. See this post for further details on PES 2021 editions and content.)
Friday September 18th: WWE 2K Battlegrounds
Tuesday September 22nd: Destiny 2: Beyond Light (paid DLC for Destiny 2. All PS4 DLC purchases will be accessible on PS5 at no additional charge)
Friday September 25th (Delayed from May 15th): Budget Cuts (PSVR)
Friday October 2nd: Star Wars Squadrons
Friday October 2nd: Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time (available on disc)
Tuesday October 6th: FIFA 21 (Champions or Ultimate Edition) (purchasers of the PS4 version on disc or digitally can claim the native PS5 version for free as long as it’s claimed before FIFA 22 is released. Note that PS4 disc version upgrades will require the disc in the PS5's drive, so the PS5 with the disc drive will be required for non-digital version upgrades.) (available on disc)
Friday October 9th: Dirt 5 (physical and digital versions will upgrade to PS5 version for free when available) (available on disc)
Friday October 9th: FIFA 21 (Standard Edition) (purchasers of the PS4 version on disc or digitally can claim the native PS5 version for free as long as it’s claimed before FIFA 22 is released. Note that PS4 disc version upgrades will require the disc in the PS5's drive, so the PS5 with the disc drive will be required for non-digital version upgrades.) (available on disc)
Thursday October 29th: Watch Dogs Legion (available on disc) (Ubisoft) (PS4 disc and digital versions will get PS5 version for free. Disc versions will still require the PS4 disc in the drive so will require the PS5 with the disc drive if purchasing a physical PS4 version.)
Friday October 30th: The Dark Pictures: Little Hope
Tuesday November 10th: XIII Remastered
Tuesday November 17th: Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla (available on disc) (PS4 disc and digital versions will get PS5 version for free. Disc versions will still require the PS4 disc in the drive so will require the PS5 with the disc drive if purchasing a physical PS4 version. Upgrades from the disc PS4 version will require a PS5 with an optical drive.)
Thursday November 19th (Delayed from April 16th and September 17th): Cyberpunk 2077 (available on disc) (PS4 version will work on PS5. PS5-native enhanced version is planned for 2021 and will be free for owners of the disc or digital PS4 version.)
Thursday February 18th 2021: Far Cry 6 (available on PS4 and PS5)

Tuesday February 25th 2020 (Delayed, new date TBD but is anticipated by March 31st 2021): Gods & Monsters (available on disc) (Ubisoft) (should be available on PS4 and PS5)

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 16, 2020

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
A heads up:

Last I saw (via a THQ Nordic ad on Facebook), Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is slated for a September 8 release. Copy and paste from the ad below for verification purposes:

quote:

The day of Re-Reckoning is coming! Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is scheduled for release September 8th, 2020 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, featuring stunning visuals, refined gameplay and all new content!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I really liked Kingdoms of Amalur and I´ll probably be buying the remake the moment it hits the PS4 store. I just hope that the developers gave it some more love besides better graphics since the old game really could have used some extra balancing in many areas.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Sylphosaurus posted:

I really liked Kingdoms of Amalur and I´ll probably be buying the remake the moment it hits the PS4 store. I just hope that the developers gave it some more love besides better graphics since the old game really could have used some extra balancing in many areas.

Considering they've announced a new expansion to be released sometime next year, I think you're gonna get more love, which is good, because I enjoyed the demo, but never got to fully dive into the game, and I'll be happy to be able to, finally.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
KoA was a favorite of mine. The only criticism I recall was that levels were locked when you entered a zone so if you did any side quests you quickly over leveled a zone and all challenge disappeared. I hope they have some way in the remaster to consistently feel challenged in a zone.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ShadowedFlames posted:

A heads up:

Last I saw (via a THQ Nordic ad on Facebook), Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is slated for a September 8 release. Copy and paste from the ad below for verification purposes:

Ahh, the game received a 3-week delay and I missed the memo. Fixed, and also added the release date for Dirt 5.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pro Evolution Soccer Winning Eleven-ers, some important announcements about your favorite franchises:

They are planning a next-gen PES that will run on the Unreal Engine.

However, it won't be ready until next year (PES 2022), and to prioritize their work on it, PES 2021 will be a seasonal update only (like the FIFA Legacy Editions of PS2/Wii/Switch fame), at what Konami is calling an "affordable anniversary price".

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

univbee posted:

Pro Evolution Soccer Winning Eleven-ers, some important announcements about your favorite franchises:

They are planning a next-gen PES that will run on the Unreal Engine.

However, it won't be ready until next year (PES 2022), and to prioritize their work on it, PES 2021 will be a seasonal update only (like the FIFA Legacy Editions of PS2/Wii/Switch fame), at what Konami is calling an "affordable anniversary price".

I play PES games from time to time and when a friend comes over to play some versus and some co-op. Last three I've gotten I paid 8€ at most waiting until march or something so I could slap a patch, if 2021 is a seasonal update I can basically repatch 2020 and call it a day.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is PES still better than FIFA?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pouring one out for the FOX engine

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

is PES still better than FIFA?

My understanding is that it depends on what you want, but I don't know kickball well enough to know the exact intricacies, and I think can shift from year to year. In broad terms I think FIFA is considered better for casual and certain types of serious play and PES is for a different kind of serious play. I think there was stuff like the "ball handling" was better in PES, and certain dynamics of their management simulator are better. And PES supports some degree of modding even on PS4. PES currently is getting slaughtered by FIFA in the "team licensing" game, but I think PES is still the go-to for certain leagues in South America and other places. Now this year's going to be weird because PES has literally nothing to show while FIFA will straight-up have a proper next gen release so PES is really going to have to come out swinging with their Unreal next gen game next year.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Further PES 2021 news

- It's releasing September 15th.
- The Standard edition will be $30US.
- There will also be digital-only club-specific editions if you really, really like one specific club and want extra goodies for them, for $35US. They will be available for the following clubs:

FC Barcelona
Juventus
Manchester United
FC Bayern
Arsenal FC

Note that the club editions (not the standard edition) will be discounted 20% if you buy it from within PES 2020 (including the free LITE version).

- There will be "EXCLUSIVE UEFA EURO 2020™ CONTENT". Not sure if that was absent from PES 2020, if it was that'll be the only "new" thing this version of the game offers in all likelihood other than the season update.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PES2020 (like previous ones on PS4 and PS3) can be patched to include licences for offline play so if you do some local versus/coop it's pretty OK.

FIFA has a heavier focus on online modes with the gambling Ultimate Game being the thing EA puts more effort into so for offline play you can benefit of not needing mods to have shitloads of licenses. It's more of a gameplay perspective or like me, an offline player since 2017 editions of both the one that gets cheaper. PES ends being under 10€ about March/April while FIFA never goes under 20€ because of their online card game focus.

Gameplay PES was worse than FIFA from 2011 to 2016 and things turned around for me from 2017 onwards. PES2020 is really fun and getting it around 8€, patching it taking 20 mins is good enough. Since PES2021 is already declared a season update and maybe no changes on gameplay at all, jumping on a 2nd hand copy of 2020 or getting it digital super cheap with a mod is the way to go imo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That's another point: if you're willing to get it on the tail end of the year, PES goes on sale for way less in EU territories than in North America.

I think there may have been a silent backend store update, because Superhot: Mind Control Delete was added to my library without me having to do anything like I usually do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

On the subject of sports I know extremely well, handegg favorite game Madden 21 is going to have an automatic update that reverts the Washington Redskins to a generic Washington team at launch, now that they're officially retiring the name and logo, although it won't make it onto actual launch discs for PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How much to change it to whatever new name they pick?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

First time you pick Washington is pops up a little paint program and it's like "gently caress it, what do you think they should be called?"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wouldn't they have to redo all the announcers and such calling them the Redskins too?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The Washington R-words

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The Washington Crimson-Epidermis.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Couldn't they just rename themselves to something like, I don't know, The Washington Reds for which there are already many color precedents in pro sports.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Couldn't they just rename themselves to something like, I don't know, The Washington Reds for which there are already many color precedents in pro sports.

Some guy in Alexandria VA copyrighted like 40 names a couple weeks ago so now it’s not so simple for them lmao :owned:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ion Fury has them named Washington 4skins already so:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bob Costas (who's been a sports reporter forever and not prone to making poo poo up) broke that they're changing the name to Red Tails, but at the moment the Washington team is dealing with the fallout from a massive sexual harassment scandal that just broke and they may also have to deal with licensing issues with either the military or the George Lucas film (and if it's the movie I don't blame them for forgetting it existed, pretty much everyone else did they day after release) so they haven't officially announced it.

DeathChicken posted:

Wouldn't they have to redo all the announcers and such calling them the Redskins too?

I don't play Madden, but did the announcers actually say Redskins last year? I know they're own announcer says it (or said it, he quit right before the sexual harassment story broke), but like half the sports world only refers to them as either "Washington" or "the Washington team"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

not if they do this:

https://sports.theonion.com/washington-redskins-change-their-name-to-the-d-c-redsk-1819575691

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Skwirl posted:

Bob Costas (who's been a sports reporter forever and not prone to making poo poo up) broke that they're changing the name to Red Tails,

Red Tails would be about the best possible PR move for Dan Snyder to make, and if ever there was a dude in need of a new PR image...For those who don't do sports, the owner of the Washington Area Football Team is widely regarded as the worst sports team owner in just about every category there is. Just an awful human. And bad at running a team. hahahaha

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It should also be noted for people that don't follow sports, "worst sports owner" is being a member of the elite of the elite. Like "Smartest Nobel Prize winner."

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

They might want to look up red tail on urban dictionary before they commit to it lmao

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Ion Fury has them named Washington 4skins already so:

:hmmyes:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Boinks posted:

They might want to look up red tail on urban dictionary before they commit to it lmao

99% of the stuff on UD is super fake bullshit, hth.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

If I want to convert a video with VLC to run on the PS4 media center, what are the right codecs?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

You could just set up a plex server, there's a free app on ps4 for it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Arbite posted:

If I want to convert a video with VLC to run on the PS4 media center, what are the right codecs?

VLC does encoding?

You want H264/x264 for video. 1080p is the max resolution, no HDR or anything fancy like that, but I think you can do 50fps or 60fps encoding if your source is at that framerate. Max profile level is "High Level 4.2". If you don't know what any of this means, the default encode settings should fit within these constraints.

For audio you'll want to encode either to AAC-LC (probably stereo-only but maybe 5.1 is supported?) or Dolby Digital AC3 for 5.1. Other codecs like DTS, FLAC, and the lossless forms of Dolby and DTS used on Blu-rays aren't supported.

Container should be MKV or MP4 (AVI is also technically supported), and I think MKV is more stable in PS4 Media Player. Note that you can't switch audio tracks or enable subtitles (a file with secondary audio tracks and subtitle tracks will still work in Media Center but you won't be able to do anything with them), so if you want what you're encoding to have subtitles you'll have to ensure they're burned in to the image. Depending on the source material you're using, some movies and TV shows do have partial subtitling for things like when people are speaking foreign languages within the movie, and in some rare cases they're even used for on-screen text (e.g. "The Pentagon, 3 days later" type text). If you're re-encoding :filez: these subtitle tracks will probably be labeled as "Forced" if they actually remembered to include them.

Plex is going to give you more flexibility with subtitles and multiple audio tracks if you can run a Plex server from a computer on your network, but I find the PS4 version of the app pretty unstable.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ShootaBoy posted:

99% of the stuff on UD is super fake bullshit, hth.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Boinks posted:

It meant something a little more important to the civil rights movement long before it meant anything else, if indeed anyone has ever used that usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Casnorf posted:

It meant something a little more important to the civil rights movement long before it meant anything else, if indeed anyone has ever used that usage.

Well yeah, but I don't think the team means it like that.