Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Is 40K: Deathwatch going to be any good? I'd really like a decent 40K game. If I could get my PS3 working I'd replay Space Marine, which was pretty cool, but THQ went under, so we'll probably never see a rerelease or a sequel on PS4... Space Hulk was an alright board game, but I'm not jumping at the chance to buy it on console unless it's really something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Overcooked is a great local co-op game with a really charming style and a decent sense of humour. It has a really simple and fun concept that is played around with constantly to keep it fresh, it escalates things at a pace that lets you really get to grips with each new task and mechanic before you're expected to master it, but still requires some effort, thinking, and co-operation to get the best results in each level. Plus, the last level is a doozy. Get that game if you have any friends who aren't going to take things too seriously.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You've always got the option of looking at what you're doing and asking yourself where the problem with your method is. Are you falling behind on your burger production, or do you not have enough plates being cleaned to put all your food out? Is it easier to make the ingredients in a certain order, do you have time while cooking one thing to go grab another ingredient and prep that? Is your co-op player loving useless? (yes)

Some of the levels are more of a bastard to 3-star than others, some the difference between 1-star and 3-star is laughably small. Some restrict you in odd ways, like the 1&1/2 trucks level where you can't get to the ingredients you need if a meal pops up at the wrong time, and some you can kind of brute-force your planning by just throwing all of your ingredients at any accessible space including the floor. Sometimes the maps are actively out to gently caress you, particularly the ice or lava maps, but it's all absolutely doable.

And the last level is a loving doozy: I was not expecting this madcap haphazard cooking game would have a boss fight at the end of it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Conceptually, it's a zombie survival game with crafting, building and mining, like Minecraft but with more polygons and an actual attempt to look good. You've got RPG elements, stats and levels, as well as needs like hunger, thirst and temperature to look after, and the day/night cycle means you have to be prepared and defended or spend a rough night out among the zombie horde. However, it's janky at best and on console it runs like absolute poo poo. I'm told they made it better since release but it's still poo poo, if you must play it then play it on PC.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

If you're enjoying the game and like the way the wingsuit works in flight, you should at least look at the Sky Fortress DLC. Honestly none of the DLC missions are that good, but I think the Air one (which came out first and set some expectations a bit too high for the rest of the DLC) has the best stuff, and the best stuff is a jetpack which basically makes the wingsuit even better and lets you fire rockets like a fighter jet. The rest of it is underwhelming really.

Land gives you a mech which is neat and has a weird gravity-gun alt-fire, but picking up physics objects unfortunately involves physics and the game doesn't like that all that much. Not a bad idea, but too limited to be good enough for an entire DLC to be built around it. Sea gives you a rocket boat which is again cool but not enough to make an entire DLC worthwhile. Seems odd to make each of the DLCs based on a vehicle when all the vehicles pretty much suck and you want to be grappling around with a wingsuit the whole game. And the areas the DLC gives you aren't really that interesting all in all. I think as one expansion they'd be alright, with maybe a couple more guns, gadgets and free-roam distractions, but breaking up the pace and trying to sell them as separate DLCs really killed them for me.

Apart from those, what is there? I think it was just some guns you don't need and an upgraded mech you'll never really use, none of which I ended up buying because it's not included in the Season Pass (dick move, guys). If there's anything else it's so forgettable that it's not worth getting.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 1, 2017

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

glam rock hamhock posted:

Here's this week's drop. Pretty meh week overall

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
PS4 — Digital, Retail (Out 9/15)
From the award-winning developers at Arkane Studios comes Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, the first standalone adventure in the critically-acclaimed Dishonored series. Be a badass supernatural assassin and take on the role of notorious Billie Lurk as she reunites with her mentor Daud in order to pull off the greatest assassination ever conceived.

loving finally! People were asking for this the minute there were whispers of a Dishonoured 2 in development. Dishonoured has a lot of neat lore and worldbuilding, so people assumed Lurk would be at least part of Dishonoured 2. I've yet to get to that game, so I don't know if they've changed things up or what but I hope that this spinoff is actually good, and not just a waste of an interesting opportunity.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

So how many Kingdom Hearts games have there actually been?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Surely you've still got 2017 games you haven't actually played yet. Sales are nice but there's no sense in buying games when you've not finished others. You don't have to collect them all.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

check these out:

- like everyone said, buy Journey and it's mentally challenged cousin Abzu
- Flower
- Hohokum
- The Witness (ps pro recommended)
- Everything

What, really? How much difference does it make, I never had any problems that I can recall on the base console, and I nearly 100% completed that game (audio logs). I actually kind of want it to be VR compatible just to see how well it works.

...! posted:

I don't know; I have a strange relationship with The Witness that makes it not chill for me. I've tried getting into it twice but both times I hit certain puzzles that I thought about so hard that it gave me a headache which turned into nausea which turned into full-on vomiting. I've played plenty of tough puzzle games and don't generally have that kind of reaction to them.

The Witness is NOT a chill game. <:mad:>
It definitely has a couple of not chill moments, it's got some frustrating individual puzzles and its puzzles can sometimes make you feel like a colossal idiot, but its atmosphere and art style does make it effectively relaxing for me. I'm sorry about your extreme discomfort dude, I'm assuming your problems are more than just solving puzzles from your reaction but if you want help going forward anywhere do ask, I really like that game and would be happy to crack it open again.

The Challenge is pretty frantic though, I wouldn't ask anyone to do that who didn't already carve their way through the game.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I would be pretty happy if I could look through sales and recently released DLC without seeing a million microtransaction packs for every shooter and sports game and a hundred Dead Or Alive tittypacks.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Vice City's music was all very good and fit well with the game, it also had a talk radio station that had some funny bits for when you were just driving around chasing random people down or whatever. You'd have an argument about positive thinking between a hyperactive anti-depressant-addict, a super-goth and a motivational speaker/con man. Or was it a scientologist? I don't remember. Or a nudist and an ultra-prude mother discussing the morality of nudity. I can't remember at all who the third oddball was in that argument.

I remember one bit for San Andreas's equivalent, an interview with a broken Stallone-esque action hero, but it seems talk radio stuff in games is generally quite hit or miss. I guess it's easier to fill your playlists with popular songs than come up with skits that will keep being funny a hundred free-roaming hours later. I don't even remember what the GTA 4 equivalent was, it was probably a depressing soap opera about how poo poo America is like the rest of that game.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement that every driving game needs to have a classical radio station.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Future archaeologists will have an exhibit dedicated to entertainment of the past, with various consoles from different generations, and they'll wonder why the older ones mostly work and the newer ones all refuse to do so when all their servers are dead (or modify them to get round all the bullshit). And presumably they'll wonder what an "Ouya" was supposed to be.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I don't know if anyone posted about this, but there's a new PS4 system software update, and it appears the store no longer uses its ridiculous scrolling letter input system and now has an actual keyboard instead? Revolutionary.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

univbee posted:

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (also coming to XB1 and Switch) will be out Friday June 21st.

what

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Thief is like many other attempts to reinvigorate old and much adored franchises, in that it doesn't exist stop talking about it.

In all seriousness, all I remember hearing is "it's not a bad game, but that definitely doesn't mean it's actually a good game, and it's definitely not a Thief game". Didn't they give it away as a PS+ game at some point?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I thought people were saying Hitman 2 was on a massive sale, was that just US prices or did I miss it? If so, is GOTY Spiderman worth £35?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Portal nights is a daft cutesy not-RPG in a series of small Minecraft voxel worlds, killing things, mining and collecting resources to build a base, craft tools and better gear, eventually fight bosses (some of which are a pain with two people)... My flatmate and I played through it largely due to nostalgia for the amount of time we put into Minecraft back in the day. And while it's not a bad game, "Free" is about the price I'd pay for it.

Steep might be worth looking at though.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

In Training posted:

Minecraft Nostalgia is a powerful phrase

No kidding. Boundless is an MMO space themed Minecraft with RPG mechanics where each map is a different planet with different coloured woods, leaves, stones etc. It doesn't have any prebuilt content, everything is either natural regeneration or player-made structures, so no dungeons or mineshafts, no expedition to get to some big boss fight... It's got a few neat ideas, but it's very much a sandbox with no game inside it. It's so clearly living off Minecraft Nostalgia.

It's also £32.99.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Hitman is half stealth game, half murdering puzzle game, half dress-up game and half a completionist's nightmare. There are a lot of options and features to each map so with each level you'll want to spend a little time just looking around. Seeing where you can go, figuing out who you can dress up as to get around, what strange items you can find, not finding out everything (there is a fair bit to find in some maps) but just finding enough. Then once you've satisfied your bloodlust, maybe you bumrushed your targets with a selection of knives or drowned them in a toilet or something (which is a surprisingly clean stealth kill if you don't get discovered and actually hide the body) it's worth looking at the challenges for that map to see what you could have done, as there's always plenty of options and some are pretty neat.

Some are straightforward, some aren't so simple or require a particular setup. For example in the 2nd level Sapienza there is an easy challenge to kill one target in a golf explosion. If you look around you'll find an explosive golf ball in your safehouse and the target in question practices his golf swing behind his manor. Easy to put that together. There's also challenges to shoot each target with a cannon. Yeah you can do that, but getting into the appropriate area is a bit of a pain at first, and while one target is in plain view from there, if you want the second target then you have to get them to move to the right location. And then you have the classic Hitman "Silent Assassin, Suit Only" challenges, if you can do those then I bow to your superior murderising.

Oh, and fun thing about the challenges: completed challenges stay completed even if you reload/restart. So if you do something cool and then fail you don't have to do it again to make it count, you can actually kill them over and over again and complete multiple challenges, or you can take an opportunity to brutally murder someone then reload and get the clean kill you actually wanted without ruining your run. And challenges give you points that unlock new starting costumes and locations, new toys and weapons, and other stuff that can make future attempts and challenges in that level a whole lot easier. You can generally unlock the ability to start in the most restricted areas already disguised once you're experienced enough at a level.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

There's still time.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

If you download the free Hitman 2 Prologue, which is all the ICA stuff from the first game's prologue, and you already own the first Hitman episodes, you can then download the Legacy Pack stuff and play those scenarios in the new game. Don't know if it comes with unlocks or any of the expansion content like the escalations and the Sarajevo Six missions because I haven't had time but the core missions at least seem to be there even if your saves and unlocks don't carry over.

It's a really cool way to do it though, and I'm definitely looking to get the full game next time it's on a decent sale. Especially getting the first actual mission for free as well!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

InsertPotPun posted:

Well, the important part is that everyone that doesn't have your very specific set of cultural touchstones is a stupid idiot.

God drat "gamers" just don't get when they're being assholes for no loving reason.

Yo. I never played or even considered PT, I wouldn't recognise it if you showed it to me, and I'm not a Silent Hill fan, I know too well that horror as a genre is not for me. I still knew what they were on about, because PT got a lot of hype and at one point people were actuall selling their consoles that had PT installed for dumb amounts of money. It was kind of a thing.

And even if I hadn't known, the explanations here were clear enough, and not at all condescending. Your reaction is kinda completely ridiculous, chill out.

I mean, the guy who just posted an ironicat said it better, but I thought I'd say this in case you really didn't understand.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I decided I'm going to try to crack Bloodborne again, I have forgotten everything I knew about the game (and didn't get very far the first time anyway) but did manage to get to the first lantern without dying so some of the mechanics stuck with me apparently. Is there a good guide or route I should be taking to not screw up all the optional stuff or miss any gear?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Also that means they get to be special and have their own mythos and ideas, even when all those things just boil down to "remove the head or destroy the brain" with additional "oh poo poo zombies can do what now?" flavour.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Makes you wonder if the PS5 is going to roll out with a whole new store that actually works, with quality of life features, genuine usability, pages and screenshots that load when selected, and overall something that doesn't threaten to crash whenever it feels like it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

What in the actual gently caress, Bethesda have you guys let go of all the people who actually knew how to make games? Do you have anyone left, anyone who makes poo poo work, anyone who can test things, anyone whose job it is to say "maybe this isn't the best idea" or what? Is this entire debacle made by unpaid interns producing the video game equivalent of a newspaper clipping collage?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Sioux posted:

With all this isolation going on, a friend and I have been enjoying more and more online co-op duo's. We've played Diablo 3 a lot until it's now the grind-fest that it is, and I am looking for another fix that we will both like. We are now doing a bit of Sniper Elite 4 (free PSN game a few months back) and while that's a fun way to shake things up, I'm sure we'll be done in a week or so. The campaign seems short, even if the missions are all pretty long.

I was looking at the PSN spring sale (EU) and saw Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (25 euros with two DLCs). I read some reviews and it looks like it will scratch my itch, being able to co-op duo it, with teamwork, some classes specs to mix and match and loot after each mission. Any goon advice on this game?

Vermintide 2 is great, think of it like fantasy Left 4 Dead, where a team of 4 players is trying their best to make their way through a level to complete an objective, slashing and burning through the destructive hordes of evil, complete with specialist enemies that have abilities and powers. In the same way you have to press onward, use your resources well and work as a team to get through, and if someone dies you will get opportunities to pick them up throughout the level. All that said, it's a Fantasy Warhammer game, not a FPS zombie survival, so it has enough of its own flavour to make it worth playing.

Each character has different abilities and a variety of weapon options, and as you level them up you have some skill options and can choose different classes that change your abilities, available weapons and playstyle per character. You also get better weapons and items that can improve your stats just like gear in any RPG. Each level also has hidden collectable items that improve your chance of decent loot at the end of each mission. It can be a difficult game at first but once you get to grips with the melee combat and how to tackle the enemies in variety and number, you'll find you can handle them much more easily and practically wade through them.

Then you can turn up the difficulty, and find that the difficulty options really are not loving around. If you take beginner level playstyle and priorities into the higher difficulties, your health is going to be gone before you realise quite how much of a fight the enemies put up. And while gear helps here, getting to grips with the combat and mechanics during your second time through will really make the game feel like you're accomplishing something by staying alive through the whole ordeal. That, plus the loot mechanics and the five different characters each with three classes to play as, makes the gsme really replayable.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Yeah for me, Plus is just an unfortunate tax to play Rocket League online, among other games. I would be paying for Plus for that one reason alone. Stuff being on offer is a nice bonus, I've picked up a lot of games at like 60% off that I otherwise wouldn't have bought. The free games are mostly things I'll never play, but the ones I will play are games I'd probably never actually choose to buy myself. Either little indie platformers (I still can't get over paying for anything that looks and plays like a highly evolved Flash game, but some of those can be fun) or games that don't fit my normal interests but show some promise, Cities Skylines is definitely the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Its a demo derby multiplayer game. Like rocket league but instead of soccer you try to wreck cars so they need to bail and then run each other over

Funnily enough, that's the type of game Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars (PS3 precursor to Rocket League) was going to be like that before someone added a ball as an idea for a fun gametype.