Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

First went live? That's crazy. The selection was loving terrible then. It took a year for it to become good.

I think this is a crazy argument to get into when the xbox service isn't any better.
Xbox download speeds aren't liquid arse, it recently got LFG tools added to the system, and Xbox 360 games given with Games With Gold are all Xbox One compatible AND have an infinite license whether your gold subscription is current or not. 2 out of 4 of those points were added fairly recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

There are many untruths here
Like what? Download speeds is the only potentially subjective thing I said, there. The rest are facts!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

It would be really awesome if they did the same stuff Microsoft is doing with their backwards compatibility stuff. There are still some PS3 games I own that would be cool to play on PS4
Yeah but that would cut into PS Now moneys :/

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

silent hill, non hd collection

resident evil 2, 3
Eh? Those are all on PSN. In fact Silent Hill may have been the first PS1 game I bought, and the PS1 Resident Evil games seem to go on sale (with all the other RE games) every year.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

Not my psn
ur psn sux sry m8

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

Hey uh in case you guys didn't notice The Drop is back. They went away for the Christmas holidays.

Arcade Archives NeoGeo Fatal Fury (PS4)
Asdivine Hearts (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone (PS4)
Life of Black Tiger (PS4)
Planet 2000 (PS4)
Spheroids (PS4, PS Vita)
Sylvio (PS4)
Xenoraid (PS Vita)
Was really hoping that was somehow a sequel to Black Tiger.

It's really not.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you have friends who play it then yes.
Only if you want to spend the rest of the money for the latest expansion, too, because you're going to have your options severely limited.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

I don't unfortunately. I'm guessing raids might be a pain as a pubby?
The official Destiny app has LFG functionality for finding people, it's not really hard.

Getting raid ready will be annoying without being able to run the weekly heroic strikes and Nightfalls, though, or participate in any of the live events. Or some of the daily story missions.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend getting it without the latest expansion.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Harlock posted:

The other problem will even be finding people to run the outrated raids because there's little to no reason beyond fun
Well TTK at least added an exotic weapon quest that requires you to run Vault of Glass, but I don't see why anybody would be running Crota's End, yeah. You can mostly solo that one without too much trouble.

King's Fall isn't hard to find people for, though, because the gear is infusable.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John Romero posted:

tf2 is good. bf1 is good too. hope this helps
That doesn't seem like it helps at all.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yoya posted:

message from sony today, what timely info could they have for me????

i got that trophy like 2 years ago
That game wasn't even out 2 years ago. Check mate, Yoya.

I got it in May 2015 and never heard anything.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Oh thank god it's a normal sale

And with this sale, I now finally own every Persona game across PSP, PSOne and PS2, with the exception of the fighting games, because I suck at fighting games. Now I just need to quit my job and spend the rest of my idiot life playing the loving things. And all those Tales games I got for cheap about a month ago. gently caress me, that's a shitload of anime.
You don't need to be good at fighting games to play either P4A, they have a range of difficulty levels and the lowest is basically win every time with minimal button mashing. You can get the story from the first as DLC from the second and Jesus Christ if you do that you'll be playing for a long rear end time. There's a shitload of story in there for a fighting game.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So yeah, Bioshock 2 is the best one as an overall package but came under fire at the time of release for A) doing a more personal story than Bioshock 1 and B) not being made by Ken Levine who at the time was considered the only one who could do it right. After Infinite came out, A) is a matter of preference and B) isn't true anymore.
Bullshit, it came under fire for feeling like a retread of the first game not long after the first one came out, with the same locations and enemies and all of that. At the time it seemed like a quick cash-in rehash less than 18 months after the first one released with the only hook being multiplayer - and who would want that? - and that's primarily what people objected to, not that other poo poo you came up with after the fact.

I only gave a poo poo about it after people raved about Minerva's Den being so good, and that's a separate thing anyway.

Now this isn't a comment on the quality of the game, just the perception as it was announced and then launched. It didn't help that a few months later they started showing off Infinite, which was massively different in location and feel.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

...! posted:

Artorias and Manus are two of the biggest pushover bosses in the entire series. Kalameet is harder but not by much.
gently caress off. Yes, very good, you're so great at Dark Souls, the PSN Store thread is very impressed.

Also you're conflating the additions from Scholar of the First Sin with the DLC for the base Dark Souls 2 game.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

...! posted:

And what did I say that wouldn't apply equally to DS2 base and SotFS?
Everything to do with the dragon shrine and Aldia.

And considering neither Artorious nor Kalameet have reputations even remotely close to being easy you were bragging, yes.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

Changing gears, here: I recently found out about the RE7 demo after I bought RE7. I was interested to learn it was a standalone teaser, and what's more has a bonus for completion that carries over into the main game. You could argue that MGSV: Ground Zeroes was a paid version of the same overall idea.

My question is: besides the long-gone PT, are there any other "standalone" demos/teasers I should know about? The RE7 demo was quite good to my mind, I don't want to miss out on anything more like that.

On the other hand, I would just try all the demos myself, but I don't want to clutter up my library with a bunch of first-level samplers of games I probably won't buy.
The RE7 demo isn't really standalone in that sense because it's a part of the main game, only slightly different. It's mostly the same. Ground Zeroes was a completely different location and protagonist.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I was nitpicking about Song of the Deep earlier, it's a really fun game and you do find a decent amount of actual upgrades as well as money.
Is it good enough for GameStop to have gone into the publishing business for?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's very difficult to find an EU copy for any sort of reasonable price on PS3. I ended up importing from Canadian eBay.
Do you have a 360? Do you know what the difference is? Seems cheaper on that...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Little Nightmares is available tomorrow retail and download and I've been looking forward to this game so hard and now it's getting great reviews. Buy it.
Maybe wait until you've played it before recommending it champ

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Ok.

I bought it.

I've played it.

Buy it, champ.
Checking youtube vids as we speak, thanks.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does Record of Agarest War have anything to do with Record of Lodoss War? That game was pretty great on the Dreamcast.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That's some pretty distinct phrasing! How odd.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Interesting, thanks!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

It appears so, which is odd because all the other PS4 RE rereleases seem to be the last gen versions.
All 1 of them? There's only one that fits that bill and it's RE4.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I know, I was addressing the "other" part of that because CODE: Veronica was the topic of conversation.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

RE4 and CV were a double pack on PS3 so it seems like it should have been just as easy to port both.
Not as easy as throwing the PS2 version into the PS2 on PS4 emulator.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well the one that comes to mind is that the game hastily explains that all of the weird poo poo that's been happening around the mountain is the result of a crazed war veteran living in the mountains to avoid anyone finding out that his son is dead. That alone is kind of a lot to try and convey, but this guy is never seen, and is somehow responsible for building a giant fenced off area, a radio control outpost with a functioning monitor and recording station, out of...what materials? How the gently caress did this guy do all of this by himself without raising any eyebrows? Is a BLM ranger really so out of the loop that she could not radio a few suits in Washington and at least get an official explanation for the site? If NOBODY knows that it's there (because it's a fake) then that'd be a really easy red alert to raise. How does a child and father just disappear in the woods and the world completely forget about them? Wouldn't a school at least be curious if a child didn't enroll in a year? Wouldn't somebody have noticed that this guy had completely vanished?

Worse still, all of that would be forgiven if there'd been a satisfying pay-off. Like if my choices ultimately led characters to different fates or something. But there's only one ending, and none of the different dialogue options really seem worth trying out alternate choices. The choices are kind of arbitrary and I feel like I, the player, am a tangential concern in this game, and that's usually not a good thing. If Firewatch was basically turned into a film, you'd actually have a much better experience with it. Because it is a game, its lack of true choice and lack of substantial mechanical challenge or player interaction leaves the experience feeling really hollow. It's spending $15 for a $5 paperback novel.
You're an idiot, all of the poo poo you say are plot holes are actually holes in your brain that stop you from paying attention.

And the ending does change based on your choices, but only in the way that your decisions would matter in the story they're telling; the relationship between the characters can be in different places based on how you interacted. Did you expect to catch the guy?

Re: performance, I played it at launch and it chugged a bit but I never experienced any bugs that I can remember, no heinous pop-in or anything.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 8, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

morallyobjected posted:

I just thought it was creepy enough exploring an empty house, especially with all the places with poor lighting, and the basement, etc.. I don't think it was ever sold as a horror game with jump scares, but it definitely has a kind of eerie ambiance to it.

I watched an LP of Firewatch and thought the voicework was fantastic. I dunno if I would have had as much fun playing it, but if you like walking sims, it seems like one of the better ones. Life is Strange will probably be my favourite for a while, but Oxenfree is good too.

What I'm saying is walking sims are good.
Life is Strange is a walking simulator?

Was Maniac Mansion a walking simulator, too? You had to walk all the way to the mansion I guess that was really far.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I played Quake with keyboard only too
Mouse look should probably have been on by default.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah I was keyboard only up until UT99 and Q3A. Unreal? Q2? Keyboard.
Did you look up and down with the keyboard?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

How are the Batman: Return to Arkham ports? I love both Asylum and City, and it's €20 for them on the PS Store right now. Just I know how bad WB Games can be at times.
This may be useful to you.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

:siren:
Don't buy the PS2 on PS4 version of Code Veronica X if you live in Europe, it's emulating the PAL at forced 50Hz and 17% slower.
:siren:
loving hell. At this point I'm holding out hope that the 360 version comes to Xbone backwards compatibility. gently caress rebuying old games AGAIN

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I loved CV a ridiculous amount when it came out, finished it a billion times, did all the Battle Mode stuff, finished that with Wesker/knife only. loving loved it. I... I still have both Wesker Reports.

But I haven't really played it since back then even though I have the 360 version. I'm scared to because I bet it's a bit poo poo.

Oh but whoever said it had too much backtracking have you played any of those old games recently? Every one of the old style games had a metric poo poo ton of backtracking. There's even that one door in the mansion in the REmake that you can only use like three times then you have to go aaaaall the way around.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh cool, that PS3 bundle of Resident Evil games is only £11.99 in the sale, that's a pretty great deal for 10 games! 70% off!

Oh wait I can't buy it because I already "own" one of them from from PS+. GREAT. THANKS SONY.

Edit: Oh and my PS+ auto-renewed 3 days ago so I can't just let it expire so I can grab it. loving fantastic.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It's a PS+ discount, so I'd have to buy PS+ as well. At that point I could buy the rest of the games at their individual sale prices for around the same cost.
Support is looking into it for me but I'm not very hopeful.

Edit: Live chat support lady couldn't do anything, referred it on to somebody else that'll be in touch by email.

It's a good thing it's not a time limited sale or anything!

*Narrator voice* It is.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 14, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I didn't actually notice until you pointed that out! Sorry I wasn't clear.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The EU sales are actually p. great right now.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rirse posted:

What the point of putting out Metal Slug 2 when they have the perfectly superior Metal Slug X release?
X is more difficult, for me kind of infuriatingly so, feels a lot more like bullshit.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nickoten posted:

Just avoid Capcom fighters in general. They're not the same fighting game company from the 90s, so the brand doesn't much anymore, at least in that genre.
But Street Fighter 4 was awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Citation needed

[1] Akuma's correct post on SomethingAwful (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3803701&perpage=40&pagenumber=80#post472777871)