Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Mr. Glum posted:

If you preordered South Park : Fractured But Whole last year you probably got an email that asked whether or not you wanted to keep the preorder or get it refunded. If you opted to keep the preorder, it looks like it has since (as of maybe today) been refunded automatically without any notification or request like before.

I'm not too bummed about it, I just noticed that I had $60 in my wallet out of the blue -- Just a PSA for those who also haven't been notified, you might have some money sitting in your wallet. Also, looking around online it looks like due to this refund, the preorder bonus of Stick of Truth has been blocked out until South Park : FBW is preordered again.

I have the preorder amount in my wallet right now, but I still show that I have FBW preordered, I can't play SoT, and can't find SoT in the store so I can't buy it (which is a bummer because I was going to play it again soon) and I can't re-preorder FBW. It seems like they really hosed this thing up, but it might be because they pushed the release date out to the end of the year, so it sorta looks like it might not come out this year anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Faux Mulder posted:

do you perhaps want to be more specific about what you don't like about them instead of just crapping on them with no justification? there's enough worthless garbage non-criticism in this thread as it is.

"no don't buy that it's terrible" is completely useless white-noise posting. different games appeal to different people for different reasons (fuckin... obviously) so how is it that people still post like games can be objectively bad and that's all the reasoning they need

and you! don't make purchase decisions based on the ten-second shat-out opinion of one dude from the internet.

Danganronpa's great if you like the mystery visual novel format at all. It's got story, investigation and courtroom-type sections, so it plays kind of like a bigger, brasher, bloodier & more outlandish Phoenix Wright with elements of the Zero Escape series, with a Battle Royale premise which drives the plot to some fun murder investigations. It's great fun, full of bright, colourful characters. It's anime as hell and very upbeat which may or may not appeal to you. I really enjoyed it, although I couldn't get into the second one because the plot took so goddamn long to get going.

Did you work on these games or something? You seem oddly upset about someone not liking a game.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Neron posted:

Well they clearly stated that in the email I got. Did you and your friend cancel the preorder earlier, or was it the forced cancellation that I recieved? I mean I literally couldn't keep the preorder even if I wanted to.

What country are you in? I'm in the US and they force cancelled my preorder last month and locked Stick of Truth until I re-preordered it. I'm going to wait until there's a release date again, but I would buy Stick of Truth for $5 if I could.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Montalvo posted:

All this does is remind me that Corn Love lacks an update for the newer firmware versions. :(

What update is needed? I'm rockin Corn on my PS4 with the latest update.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm going to catch poo poo for this, but I decided to give Batman Telltale a shot even though I heard it was a raging dumpster fire-- knowing full well what a Telltale game was going to be-- but I was willing to give them a shot after Tales from the Borderlands was so good.

It definitely exceeded my (rock bottom) expectations, and I actually wound up really enjoying it. Choices were completely negligible, writing wasn't as good as TftB, and there were plenty of bugs. Occasional graphic bugs, slowdowns, and regular game freezes during the credits after each episode. All that considered, it was an enjoyable story just taking it as being a tv show you occasionally have to press X to continue for. It had a refreshing spin on all the characters and the Batman concept.

For the 50% off sale price I found it pretty worthwhile, but thats pretty dependent on you going in knowing what a Telltale game is (i.e. not a game).

I have it, but I haven't played it yet. Everything I've read about it sounds like this is a game for people who are into comics and all others should stay away. I haven't seen people rag on it, but I can only assume these people saw "Batman" and jumped all over it, and hated it because Telltale? Or is there something else wrong with it? I know it takes some liberties with Batman lore, but that isn't the sort of thing that bothers me.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Szurumbur posted:

Weird, theyre sending me strings of letters (both lower and upper cases) and numbers, is it a regional difference (I'm in EU)?

This is what I get in the US.

I dunno, either you're confusing this with something else, or you somehow ended up on a different program. That said, I wish they would do what Steam and Google do now, and just let me push a button in the app.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hells yeah

sony gave me 6 free months of the elite package of ps vue

I got that like 2 days after I decided to cancel Vue. I'm curious to see what happens: will I get free TV? Or no TV? I pretty much only use it for Cartoon Network and Forensic Files, so I'm ok with it either way.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

Soliciting opinions on:

Atelier Sophie
Need For Speed
Destroy All humans 1 or 2

I bought Need for Speed on disk shortly after it came out. I played it for a bit, but I bought AssCreed Syndicate at the same time and got caught up in that one more. I liked it enough that I'm considering buying it digital, but I remember nothing but the ridiculous first person FMV cut scenes.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd go ahead and say the combat is vastly superior to most anything offered in Tomb Raider, if only by virtue of having enemies that are all complexly designed and feature a multitude of strengths and weaknesses.

The greatest design decision in Horizon is that all of its rather sizable roster of machine enemies feels unique to fight. Though two enemies may fly, they still pose considerably different types of challenges. There are tons of ways to approach enemy encounters and all of them will actually force you to face them in those many ways to succeed -- unlike most AAA games, Horizon doesn't really hold your hand in combat and if you don't respect your enemies you'll get wrecked pretty quickly. But if you do take the time to study machine monsters and hone your own skill, you can topple incredibly dangerous foes with grace.

It's a very rewarding experience. If you stripped Horizon of its open world, and had it carried only by its combat encounters, it'd still grade fairly high (even if a few of the bosses are...eh...). The very core of the experience is strong, and most open world games don't have that going for them.

I've never played any Tomb Raider games so I don't know if Horizon is better or worse, but I thought the combat was the worst part of the game and it was the reason I quit. I felt forced into a stealth/sniper mode for almost all combat, because if you tried to melee beyond the sneak attack, you were gonna get destroyed by whatever you were fighting and it's 15 friends. I got about 15 hours in before I gave up, so maybe it changed, but if you don't want a 3rd person stealth shooter, this isn't the game for you.

I admit, I knew almost nothing about this game outside of robot dinosaurs and bought it because my friend said it was good, so I dunno if that's how it positioned itself pre-release or not.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

tensai posted:

I actually really like Andromeda.

Same. I paid around $30 for it, and I didn't regret it.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

It might not be ready as such, they just have a build which they felt was ok to release as a demo. I'd image there would be a Day 1 update for people who downloaded it (along with the intended unlock for the full game).

Plus even if they have a master build ready, they still need to produce the disc version of it and distribute it out to retailers. That's all probably taken into account with release timelines.

This game came out in Japan in 2016, they shouldn't have to gently caress with the builds that much after rolling in the translations (easier said than done, obv). Also, reviewers have had copies of this game since before the original release date last month and I haven't heard anyone complain about issues, not that I've been looking all that hard for it.

I have to assume they either had a problem getting disks pressed in time or had a an issue with marketing...but honestly they picked the prolly the worst week of the quarter to release, since it's coming out like 3 days before God of War.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

How do you sign up for this? I have both, but it linking the accounts keeps failing and doesn't say why. I assume it's PSN being PSN, but an error message would be nice.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

Did you buy your Spotify subscription through the PSN store?

No, I didn't know it was possible. Is that the missing part? That seems like the least convenient way to do it, but whatev.

EDIT: I read it all again, and yes, I need to be paying via PSN. I guess I'll bug them on twitter about it.

The Diddler fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 11, 2018

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

HONKER24 posted:

Any opinions on whether the Marvel Ultimate Alliance bundle for $23.99 is worth it at this point or is it still a buggy and poorly optimized mess that it was at launch?

I think it's worth it, but then again I bought it when it released and never noticed any of the problems that people said were all over the place...so maybe I'm not the best one to answer this

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Everything else related to GB can go to hell though.

At the risk of starting a derail, why? The only opinions I've ever heard about GB were "yeah, I love it" and "who?".

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Mass Effect got dropped to 'Barely more than an expensive cup of coffee prices'. I avoided it when it came round, due to the reviews and Giant Bombs quick look leaving me distincly unimpressed.

With the benefit of Patching and time, is it actually worth having a look at?

How much do you love Mass Effect? I love the series, and bought it at $30 a few months after launch. At that point it was a $20 game. The gamebreaking stuff had been fixed, but the game was still full of graphical jank, and the story was like someone took a generic space story and just dusted it with some Mass Effect. I played all the side quest stuff as it came up for around 30 hours, but just sorta quit for some reason. I assume something good came out and I've just never gotten back to it. I would honestly recommend picking one of the other Mass Effects and playing that instead.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

univbee posted:

I haven't had good experience with self-powered laptop-sized externals, they tend to be skippy with cutscenes and audio and the like (although they will still at least work), get an externally-powered drive if you can. Otherwise as long as it's a USB 3.0 drive and at least 256 gigs in size it'll work.

Are you using a Pro? I have one of the WD My Passport drives and didn't see any issues until after I upgraded to a 4K TV and enabled HDR. Since then, I see some of the video issues, but only in cutscenes.

EDIT: I'm on the Arkham Knight edition regular, not a Pro.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Donut County's cute and fun but it's like an hour long and there's not really much to it. Nice chilled out experience though

It's a terrific game all the way around and I loved it. I'm hoping it doesn't take another 5 years to get more of it, though.

EDIT: I've got around 2 hours into it so far, I feel like getting the plat will only take another half hour or so.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Max Awfuls posted:

I didn't even recall the game existed before the bankruptcy stories and I've got almost all Telltale games thanks to sales or PS+, it was a complete non-event even for Telltale followers.

I bought it, but I haven't played it yet. I was gonna start it like last year, but the last episode was still like 2 months away and I realized at that point that buying those games before they were done was pretty stupid and I wasn't going to do that again. Maybe I'll bang it out this weekend, those games usually only take 5-6 hours.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Spalec posted:

I know it was broken as hell on launch, is it vaguely playable now?

From what I've seen, it's playable but not fun. At one point Jason was so OP that everyone would drop out of games as soon as they didn't get to be him. I don't think I saw much else about the game after that until the legal stuff.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Dumb question: I'm in the process of downloading Katamari Damacy onto the PS3 to give me something easy and relaxing to play after getting platinum in Demon's Souls (I say, naively, having not played Katamari Damacy before). However, it's going reaaallly slowly. I think I started it a little bit after noon. An hour ago, it was at 26% or something, but looking at it now while writing this post, it's jumped to 79%. Is there a way to increase the download speed? I know the PS3/PS4 has glacial download times, but on PS4, I learned that putting the system on sleep mode let downloads/installs run a bit faster. Is there something similar you can do for PS3.

You can make some networking changes, if you haven't yet. From what I remember, port forwarding didn't help me much with the PS3, but putting it in the DMZ helped quite a bit.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

TealShark posted:

I’ve had a PSVR for more than a year, same boat. There’s no discount code for me in the email, but the legal crap at the bottom explains I have to redeem the code I didn’t get by the 23rd. Weird.

Did it get adblockered? Based on the how everything internet-related with the store is dumb, it wouldn't surprise me if that happens. I can't even get the emails, so I dunno.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

If you've never played either Hitman, you aren't gonna have any unlocks to worry about, but you'll get the new mechanics like hiding in grass. It's probably the better choice.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

homeless snail posted:

You should play the demos that came out, to temper your enthusiasm. It seems like a potentially Bad Game, like all the worst parts of Yakuza and none of the things you want.

Are you talking about Judgement? Is that on the US store?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Samuringa posted:

We had over one month of sales, this is "Actually play the games for once" week

I finally finished Red Dead, I need something new :(

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

morallyobjected posted:

this is not true--I bought the season pass after getting the free episode.

I had to look it up, but when it was released on PS+ you had to buy the season pass if you wanted the whole game, which didn't include a special episode that was in the complete edition, which you couldn't buy if you claimed the PS+ title. It looks like it took somewhere around 2 years to fix to add to the season pass.

https://www.vg247.com/2015/11/26/downloading-the-free-kings-quest-episode-with-ps-locks-you-out-of-a-bonus-episode-report/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/psa-looks-like-the-kings-quest-reboot-epilogue-has-quietly-been-added-to-the-season-pass.12675/

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

So is there no way to look at the flash sale for only PS4 games? I don't really want to dig through 600 games 12 at a time if it's half PS3/Vita stuff.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Don't look at it through the Flash Sale page, click on the Sales link on the menu at the left of the homepage, choose All The Sales and filter them.

This is what I was going to do, but I assumed there was something wrong when there were only 60some items there.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Penguin Patrol posted:

I played about 2 hours worth of Heavy Rain. It bridges the gap between interactive gameplay and cinematic storytelling by giving you the absolute worst of both worlds. I couldn't even get through it for the memes. Having to make the motions for all the one-off actions does more to distance you from the characters instead of connecting you to them.

Boggles my mind when people say they enjoy his games. Maybe Detroit is better, but I found zero redeeming qualities in HR. It was a pain to play. But hey, free.

I played about that much Detroit. It was such a chore to play and it seemed like the camera was just sorta doing what it wanted. Also, it was pretty clear that the story was going to be both dumb and poorly written. Nice to know I can skip HR too.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

axelblaze posted:

Moving away from David Cage, Horizon Chase Turbo seems pretty good and it seems at least worth downloading to hear the soundtrack

As someone who played a ton of Rad Racer on NES, Horizon Chase Turbo was a hit of nostalgia that I didn't know I needed.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

The Phoenix Wright trilogy is on sale for $21. How do those play on PS4? I played the first one on DS and I remember it requiring a lot of stylus use.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

univbee posted:

So one of the higher-ups was actually pretty livid I wasn't hired for the job I didn't get and is now setting things in motion to have me stick around.

How do you have 4 and 5 installed already? I thought they weren't out for a few more months.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Control is getting pretty darn deece reviews. I wasn't even considering it before but I'm intrigued

I'm interested, but it doesn't look like something I want to pay $60 for. Insta-buy at like $40 though.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I got Outer Wilds confused with The Outer Worlds and thought it was gonna come out 10 days early for some reason and got really excited.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

This is not a joke! I need someone from apple to help me with this scam. I saw this app with a few friends and we jokingly clicked ‘buy’ thinking it was a JOKE, to see what would happen….I called my visa card and they verified I was charged $999.99. THIS IS NO JOKE. DO NOT BUY THIS APP. BEWARE...

:psyduck:

I would like to talk to the sort of person who sees a price listed in a store that you buy things from and assumes that *this particular* price is a joke and buys it. I bet they have fascinating stories about how daily life constantly befuddles them.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

there's actually a setting you need to have turned on or they won't send you any of the fun stats emails or any of the free stuff emails either, but it has been years since i turned it on and i have no clue where that option is anymore. hopefully someone else can recall.

I turned that on a couple of years ago, and I still don't get anything from them except receipts. :iiam:

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

Was there a recent sale on Outer Wilds I missed? I watched a video about the game and really want to play it.

I looked this morning because I want it too. Looks like the only (digital) sale has been $5 off a couple of weeks ago: https://psprices.com/region-us/game/3252559/outer-wilds. Not sure if there's a physical release or not.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Is the Clan Creator DLC for Yakuza Kiwami 2 worthwhile or is it basically a way to throw more money at SEGA to say "thank you for Yakuza?"

I don't remember there being anything really necessary, but I bought some of that stuff anyway because I will throw money at almost anything Yakuza.

Discount Viscount posted:

Also I have the vanilla disc of NieR: Automata, should I grab the DLC for that or just get the GOTYorha Edition next time it's on sale?

I looked at the DLC in the store, and as far as I can tell it's just underwear for the ladies? I thought the game was really good, but I passed on the DLC.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Along the Vermintide 2 lines, what are some good online coop games for PS4 that are either exclusive or fairly cheap on ps4? I have a PC, but have a buddy whose stuck on PS4. Because I'll likely be double buying, some older stuff would be preferable. Rather rock full coop than something competitive like Overwatch

Already played:
A Way Out
Diablo 3
Borderlands all of them
Edf 4 and 5
Dragon Crown Pro

Path of Exile should be good for another 15-20 hours or so, if you want a Diablo clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

ShadowedFlames posted:

Which is a shame as I really wanted to get invested into the game. But the lag and occasional to semi-frequent crashing just kills it for me.

Has it gotten any better? I played it at launch and it was completely unplayable by endgame.